Metro Hall Mtg. Update: Tue Nov 11: 7pm*: Fare integration

Ed Drass

There won't be a need to make an agreement with Oakville Transit because a GTA-wide agreement will be in place.

And with respect to GO, I'm sure that their plans are well underway, and I wonder how easily they will be brought into the fold if the Metrolinx vision is significantly different than the vision they've been working on.

Poorly timed edit. This should be towards the bottom.

If GO wants to keep a separate fare system from the local setup we could use the Translink-style model where you get free local transit for a few hours after you get off the train. If you add a discount at the start of your trip then you've overcome the issue with using a GO and TTC combo.

And with respect to GO, I'm sure that their plans are well underway, and I wonder how easily they will be brought into the fold if the Metrolinx vision is significantly different than the vision they've been working on.

Their plans are indeed well underway and significant change would take some time. GO probably has the toughest row to hoe of any provider, given that they are the only one making significant change to *how* they calculate fares. Everyone else is keeping the existing arrangements and just using Presto as a payment mechanism (e.g. your monthly pass will be on Presto instead of a separate card).

If GO wants to keep a separate fare system from the local setup we could use the Translink-style model where you get free local transit for a few hours after you get off the train. If you add a discount at the start of your trip then you've overcome the issue with using a GO and TTC combo.

Presto would full support that. It can "roll back" transactions so that, for example, you ride a DRT bus and then ride a GO train. As soon as you swipe in at GO, you get a partial refund on the DRT portion of the trip (so that the current co-fare arrangement is kept).