TTC Service Changes

Mike

57 minutes ago, H4 5600 said:

I dont ride the subway often at rush hour so cant comment on that, but i will say the line 2 service at night is terrible. I often wait 10+ minutes for the train, and then they often hold or go NIS at keele or jane.

I know rush hour is bad, but the night time is even worse with the headway sometimes go close to 10 minute. There will be a lot of people traveling at night time after the Leafs/Raptors and the Blue Jays game and I don’t know what is a hold up.

Btw, going NIS also happens during the rush hour which is absolutely absurd.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 7:19 AM, T3G said:

This has always been the case on this line even pre-pandemic. In rush hour the train wouldn't properly empty out until Royal York.

Well, First I don't get why line 2 is the only subway line which had its service reduced,

and second, I don't get why the TTC isn't planning on reinstating service level back to normal even though the crowding issue is getting worse and close to pre-pandemic. I think east side (Danforth portion) would be even worse than the western portion. 

• 3 weeks later...

Steve Munro has finally published the service charges for next board.

https://stevemunro.ca/2022/05/02/ttc-service-changes-may-8-2022/

I think seasonal reduction is taken in account for service reduction. Else they won’t have enough crews to fill. We’ll see If things get better in September.

Since there’s no changes to line 2 or 45 Kipling. Let the bashing begin!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

Well, its pretty clear now, they aren't gonna raise the service level on Line 2 until at least the fall.

I think they are tiring to hold off as long as possible. remember once line 5 opens later this year it will take some ridership from line 2

I know we love to joke around with the Line 2 service levels, but frankly i'll agree with some of the comments that have been made about it. It's laughable how they havent increased service levels, and you can really see the effects during the evening period where there are major sports events. They should be modifying their typical seasonal service adjustment across the system because frankly, travel patterns wont be the same as what they normally forecast (ie: travel for post-secondary students will be higher than usual because of how screwed up the winter semester was, the return of more city events meaning people will want to travel more within the city, etc.)

The trains are pretty much packed, but the beancounters and management are living in their own world and have been for the past few months.

• Like 1

I rode the new 172 and 174 seasonal routes today, and the initial reports are not very flattering.

The driver of the 174 immediately assumed I was a transit fan by asking me at Ontario Place if I was just riding, and he mentioned I was the first passenger in 6 hours. The 172 also ran non-stop to Cherry Beach from Union, and was held back by the lifting of the bridge, which might hinder its appeal.

I should mention that it is the first days of the route and there are no events occurring at either the Port Lands or Ontario Place, which might be depressing ridership. Time will tell.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

I rode the new 172 and 174 seasonal routes today, and the initial reports are not very flattering.

The driver of the 174 immediately assumed I was a transit fan by asking me at Ontario Place if I was just riding, and he mentioned I was the first passenger in 6 hours. The 172 also ran non-stop to Cherry Beach from Union, and was held back by the lifting of the bridge, which might hinder its appeal.

I should mention that it is the first days of the route and there are no events occurring at either the Port Lands or Ontario Place, which might be depressing ridership. Time will tell.

It must be really boring to drive the 174. 

• Like 2

I really don't get the Ontario Place route ... surely it's faster to walk from Exhibition Loop to Ontario place, rather than take that bus - especially when there's any traffic on Lakeshore. I'd have thought they'd have taken a more direct route through the Exhibition grounds.

172 will get some usage as time passes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

I really don't get the Ontario Place route ... surely it's faster to walk from Exhibition Loop to Ontario place, rather than take that bus - especially when there's any traffic on Lakeshore. I'd have thought they'd have taken a more direct route through the Exhibition grounds.

172 will get some usage as time passes.

This routing allows them to operate even when the road closure is in place but that'll definitely be a real mess when the CNE is running. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It must be really boring to drive the 174. 

What’s even more boring as a driver is waiting at Exhibition Loop. Too much running time is scheduled, so the bus always ends up waiting at Exhibition for much longer than the 2 minutes I see on TransSee.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

This routing allows them to operate even when the road closure is in place but that'll definitely be a real mess when the CNE is running. 

According to the map, they are using Manitoba Drive, which is closed during the CNE.

I'm not sure why they just don't extend the 29 or something, if this service is really needed.

171 Map
image.thumb.png.c576cda54e0aec2e07430c77c912cd41.png

29 Map

image.thumb.png.288575ccd3f3884a3980343aff06302a.png

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

According to the map, they are using Manitoba Drive, which is closed during the CNE.

I'm not sure why they just don't extend the 29 or something, if this service is really needed.

171 Map

29 Map

Considering the level of service that the route is providing, it's pretty obvious why extending any of the 29 branches wasn't done.

Dan

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

171 Map

29 Map

That map is wrong.  The 174 goes down the streetcar ROW into the loop and shares the 511 stop in the loop.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Anyone know why the 905 Scarborough East Express is now showing 905A on all buses?

When the TTC replaced the 116A with the extended 905, they designated the branch to replace the 116 service the 905A (Weekdays), while the older version, now the 905B runs on weekends. These have been designated this way since the switch internally, with the new board, they've finally put it on the destination signs too.

49 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

When the TTC replaced the 116A with the extended 905, they designated the branch to replace the 116 service the 905A (Weekdays), while the older version, now the 905B runs on weekends. These have been designated this way since the switch internally, with the new board, they've finally put it on the destination signs too.

The A and B branch lettering was shown externally as well on the bus bay signage at Kennedy and on the TTC website.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Ah, that took a while. The extension to Conlins was about a year ago in May, wasnt it?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Steve Munro posted an article on the 2023 Annual Service Plan.

https://stevemunro.ca/2022/07/01/ttc-2023-annual-service-plan-preview/

Some of the proposed route changes are an interesting eye opener!

My interesting take:

- The 101 DOWNSVIEW PARK routing was intended to be the proposed 128 STANLEY GREEN in the 2021 ASP, but they managed to absorb the 128 and 101 together. Since Downsview Park Station has no bus terminal facilities, they are likely to end up looping at Vitti. But once LINE 6 FINCH WEST opens, service on Alness between Supertest and Martin Ross on the 107 YORK UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS is dead once more like the old 117 ALNESS-CHESSWOOD when TYSSE opened.

- Currently, Finch West Station has routes 36, 41/941, 107, and 939. After that, the 101 and 107 will terminate inside the terminal.

- I wonder the TORYORK bus will have a number? Tentatively, the number 151 is proposed.

- As the 384 SHEPPARD WEST NIGHT gets extended to Islington, Weston Road finally gets night service between Sheppard to Steeles and Steeles Avenue West between Weston and Islington leaving the gap between Jane and Weston. Why can’t the TTC introduce the new 389 WESTON NIGHT service between Keele Station to Steeles (following the 989 routing)? Similarly, the 353 STEELES NIGHT needs to be reverted back to the pre-2015 353 STEELES EAST NIGHT, which was replaced before the Pan-Am Games that year. and night service west of Yonge to be known as the 360 STEELES WEST NIGHT (follows the 60B routing). These suggestions will be open in the 2024 ASP.

- With the leftover tail of the 36B open, looks like the proposed maps shows the 37A ISLINGTON was being extended to Humber College Station. However, in the final version of the 2023 ASP, it is expected the 36B and 36J branches will be kept but runs to Humber College Station, similar to the 34 EGLINTON, which runs to Mount Dennis to Kennedy (originally to end at Science Centre, which almost left no bus service east to Kennedy). Service on the 336 FINCH WEST NIGHT remains unaffected.

- As service on Neilson Avenue is served by 133 NEILSON and 334 EGLINTON EAST NIGHT, things are gonna get busy as more buses will be frequenting the area with the 39A FINCH EAST, 905 EGLINTON EAST EXPRESS and 985C SHEPPARD EAST EXPRESS “stinking up the joint” meaning Neilson will have a bus come every 5-10 minutes.

- The 905 EGLINTON EAST EXPRESS is interesting. One of the options show if they reroute the 905A to Morningside Heights, the 116A MORNINGSIDE would be resurrected. Otherwise, the branch would be known as the 905C EGLINTON EAST EXPRESS would run express to Finch/Neilson and local to Morningside Heights. The 985C SHEPPARD EAST EXPRESS would follow suit, both 905C and 985C will have express stops on Sheppard, Sewells/Tapscott, McLevin and Finch.

- The 902 MARKHAM ROAD EXPRESS is mimicking the local 102B MARKHAM ROAD but its looping around the Amazon Warehouse. Given the “good, bad and ugly”, the express stops would be from Sheppard, Nugget/McLevin, Finch, Nashdene, McNicoll, Passmore, Steeles and around Amazon (or local service from Sheppard to Steeles). Run the extension to 10pm M-F and 7pm weekends and holidays. If the route wants two branches, the extension will be known as the 902B and the original branch (if the TTC keeps it), be known as the 902A operating in the same hours.

- Milliken GO gets a new stop by the 953 STEELES EAST EXPRESS.

I wonder what happened to the last elements of the 2021 ASP, which may happen this fall or not all: the 178 BRIMORTON and the 54B LAWRENCE EAST extension. Has the TTC opted to keep the 54B and 86D routings? An email from Councilor Paul Ainsile sent me that they are launching it “this fall” but was on the backburner due to the Omicron wave that happened last year.

On 7/2/2022 at 2:20 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

Steve Munro posted an article on the 2023 Annual Service Plan.

https://stevemunro.ca/2022/07/01/ttc-2023-annual-service-plan-preview/

Some of the proposed route changes are an interesting eye opener!

It is interesting how much service they are jamming on Neilson between Sheppard and Finch with these revisions:

• 39A Finch East to Cenetary Hospital
  • 905 Eglinton East to Morningside Heights
  • 985C Sheppard East Express to Staines via Neilson

39A looks to operate all day, every day with providing a direct connection to the hospital from Finch Station without needing to change buses. If one were to take it from Line 1, they would utilize either Wilson or York Mills and take the 95 York Mills. 38 Highland Creek or 133 Neilson from Scarborough Town Centre on Line 3. 

Where as 905 and 985C, my guess is they will start out operating during peak periods before looking at further expansion depending on availability of resources and budget for new services. 

Line 6: Finch West route changes

Seeing that 36D and 36F will be replaced by a new route that will operate from Pioneer Village along with 984A Sheppard West Express. To maintain the continuous service along Milvan, Toryork and Fenmar Drives. With an option to connect to the subway or Finch West line. 

Route 101 and 107 proposed changes: Looks more like it will be interlined at Finch West operating as a loop. 

384 Sheppard West Blue Night: It does help cover a gap along Weston Road and providing a transfer to 337 Islington along with 336 Finch West. 

Final comments:

Looking at the photos of potential changes along with proposals, they are really focusing a lot on service expansion. Especially with providing direct connections between the subway and the neighbourhoods/industrial areas. 

Neilson must be really important to the TTC. The question is not how service operates but when and how often do they operate. I always say this in the feedback but they never seem to like to disclose these info. Part of the reason is they love to draw lines and decide the schedule when it's approved and funded.

Perhaps some of these extension would be peak period only or operate at 20+ minute headways.

I can see the 39A operating similar to today.
The 902 could operate similar today too with expanded service on weekends. 
The 905 could be an other branch with every other bus heading past UTSC. Perhaps and rush hour service only or only on weekdays when the 905A operates. 
The 985C is likely a peak hour service by diverting every other 985B up Neilson instead. That will cost the TTC nothing.

The trip from Malvern to downtown is already long. The SRT shutdown is going to make it worst. They should definitely look instead operating 905 and 985C on all days of the week with a new GO co-fare in place along with improved connections between bus service and GO stations. This means better walking conditions between the bus stops and the train platforms. Better waiting areas at bus stops. It would be more interesting if riders see this as a potential option oppose to making the even longer trek to the subway. 

Looking at the other ends of the city, service have improved significant in the north west with Line 6 opening and connecting to the TYSSE. It will take around 60-70 minute reliably from Humber College to the downtown core oppose to 90+ minutes unreliably from Malvern or far east Scarborough to the core.  

---

Personally I already think Sheppard West is already a mess with the 84C and 84D going to places only regulars would know. Adding another branch, the 984A to the mix isn't going to make it better. Reliably will drop as more service gets stuck in traffic and don't blend evening when they reach Sheppard.

The originally proposed MIlvan/Toryork loop service would be much more reliable than this new route (or a branch of Steeles West) and extended 984A service. Now that Line 6 will be running, they could just convert the 84C/84D into a new loop service connecting to Pioneer Village if they want. Then consolidate all service to the 84A branch. Let's hope the 984A doesn't get stuck in traffic at Weston/Finch.

• 3 months later...

October board service changes: https://stevemunro.ca/2022/10/04/ttc-service-changes-effective-sunday-october-9-2022/

- 501 extended nominally to Sunnyside Loop, although pending completion of overhead in the loop, cars will circle Roncesvalles Carhouse instead. The last westbound and first eastbound stops will be on the east side of Roncesvalles at Queen. 501L bus service will continue to operate from Dufferin to Long Branch with a small reduction of service in some periods. 501L will still operate out of Wilson.

- 905 adds a WB stop on Military Trail/Morningside Avenue and 985A has a stop added on Borough/Triton to connect with GO’s new and temporary terminal.

- 31B  to Eastern Ave service end-of-line location shifted west from Minto to Knox and Eastern.

- 55 now leaves Jane at :15 and :45 every hour.

- 506 shifted from Roncesvalles Carhouse to Leslie Barns. Bus service will be assigned to Eglinton (Comstock) while the 504C buses will operate out of Birchmount and Queensway garages.

- 600 Run As Directed crews reduced.

- 86 late evening service adjusted to align with Terra Lumina.

- 175 ends until May 2023. Last day is October 10.

- 172 will operate weekdays only although the last day of service is on November 18.