TTC Service Changes

Mike

1 hour ago, T3G said:

This has always been the case on this line even pre-pandemic. In rush hour the train wouldn't properly empty out until Royal York.

Yeah but ridership is increasing and they are still running Sunday service on weekdays in peak hours.

4 hours ago, T3G said:

This has always been the case on this line even pre-pandemic. In rush hour the train wouldn't properly empty out until Royal York.

Well the ridership has clearly increased compared to a time when they reduced services back in November. Most of the workplaces are converting to at least hybrid now and university students are back in class and commuting.. and yet the TTC is not increasing service level on BD line at all since they significantly reduced in November. 

I wonder if they still have an operator shortage, but didn't they convert a part of the YUS to one man operation? That would have given them extra bodies.

I dont ride the subway often at rush hour so cant comment on that, but i will say the line 2 service at night is terrible. I often wait 10+ minutes for the train, and then they often hold or go NIS at keele or jane.

57 minutes ago, H4 5600 said:

I dont ride the subway often at rush hour so cant comment on that, but i will say the line 2 service at night is terrible. I often wait 10+ minutes for the train, and then they often hold or go NIS at keele or jane.

I know rush hour is bad, but the night time is even worse with the headway sometimes go close to 10 minute. There will be a lot of people traveling at night time after the Leafs/Raptors and the Blue Jays game and I don’t know what is a hold up.

Btw, going NIS also happens during the rush hour which is absolutely absurd.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 7:19 AM, T3G said:

Well, First I don't get why line 2 is the only subway line which had its service reduced,

and second, I don't get why the TTC isn't planning on reinstating service level back to normal even though the crowding issue is getting worse and close to pre-pandemic. I think east side (Danforth portion) would be even worse than the western portion. 

• 3 weeks later...

Steve Munro has finally published the service charges for next board.

https://stevemunro.ca/2022/05/02/ttc-service-changes-may-8-2022/

I think seasonal reduction is taken in account for service reduction. Else they won’t have enough crews to fill. We’ll see If things get better in September.

Since there’s no changes to line 2 or 45 Kipling. Let the bashing begin!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

Well, its pretty clear now, they aren't gonna raise the service level on Line 2 until at least the fall.

I think they are tiring to hold off as long as possible. remember once line 5 opens later this year it will take some ridership from line 2

I know we love to joke around with the Line 2 service levels, but frankly i'll agree with some of the comments that have been made about it. It's laughable how they havent increased service levels, and you can really see the effects during the evening period where there are major sports events. They should be modifying their typical seasonal service adjustment across the system because frankly, travel patterns wont be the same as what they normally forecast (ie: travel for post-secondary students will be higher than usual because of how screwed up the winter semester was, the return of more city events meaning people will want to travel more within the city, etc.)

The trains are pretty much packed, but the beancounters and management are living in their own world and have been for the past few months.

• Like 1

I rode the new 172 and 174 seasonal routes today, and the initial reports are not very flattering.

The driver of the 174 immediately assumed I was a transit fan by asking me at Ontario Place if I was just riding, and he mentioned I was the first passenger in 6 hours. The 172 also ran non-stop to Cherry Beach from Union, and was held back by the lifting of the bridge, which might hinder its appeal.

I should mention that it is the first days of the route and there are no events occurring at either the Port Lands or Ontario Place, which might be depressing ridership. Time will tell.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

I rode the new 172 and 174 seasonal routes today, and the initial reports are not very flattering.

The driver of the 174 immediately assumed I was a transit fan by asking me at Ontario Place if I was just riding, and he mentioned I was the first passenger in 6 hours. The 172 also ran non-stop to Cherry Beach from Union, and was held back by the lifting of the bridge, which might hinder its appeal.

I should mention that it is the first days of the route and there are no events occurring at either the Port Lands or Ontario Place, which might be depressing ridership. Time will tell.

It must be really boring to drive the 174. 

• Like 2

I really don't get the Ontario Place route ... surely it's faster to walk from Exhibition Loop to Ontario place, rather than take that bus - especially when there's any traffic on Lakeshore. I'd have thought they'd have taken a more direct route through the Exhibition grounds.

172 will get some usage as time passes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

I really don't get the Ontario Place route ... surely it's faster to walk from Exhibition Loop to Ontario place, rather than take that bus - especially when there's any traffic on Lakeshore. I'd have thought they'd have taken a more direct route through the Exhibition grounds.

172 will get some usage as time passes.

This routing allows them to operate even when the road closure is in place but that'll definitely be a real mess when the CNE is running. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It must be really boring to drive the 174. 

What’s even more boring as a driver is waiting at Exhibition Loop. Too much running time is scheduled, so the bus always ends up waiting at Exhibition for much longer than the 2 minutes I see on TransSee.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

This routing allows them to operate even when the road closure is in place but that'll definitely be a real mess when the CNE is running. 

According to the map, they are using Manitoba Drive, which is closed during the CNE.

I'm not sure why they just don't extend the 29 or something, if this service is really needed.

171 Map
image.thumb.png.c576cda54e0aec2e07430c77c912cd41.png

29 Map

image.thumb.png.288575ccd3f3884a3980343aff06302a.png

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

According to the map, they are using Manitoba Drive, which is closed during the CNE.

I'm not sure why they just don't extend the 29 or something, if this service is really needed.

171 Map

29 Map

Considering the level of service that the route is providing, it's pretty obvious why extending any of the 29 branches wasn't done.

Dan

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

171 Map

29 Map

That map is wrong.  The 174 goes down the streetcar ROW into the loop and shares the 511 stop in the loop.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Anyone know why the 905 Scarborough East Express is now showing 905A on all buses?

When the TTC replaced the 116A with the extended 905, they designated the branch to replace the 116 service the 905A (Weekdays), while the older version, now the 905B runs on weekends. These have been designated this way since the switch internally, with the new board, they've finally put it on the destination signs too.

49 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

When the TTC replaced the 116A with the extended 905, they designated the branch to replace the 116 service the 905A (Weekdays), while the older version, now the 905B runs on weekends. These have been designated this way since the switch internally, with the new board, they've finally put it on the destination signs too.

The A and B branch lettering was shown externally as well on the bus bay signage at Kennedy and on the TTC website.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Ah, that took a while. The extension to Conlins was about a year ago in May, wasnt it?

• 1 month later...