TTC Service Changes

Mike

23 hours ago, raptorjays said:

And Steve Munro is speculating that the TTC is trying to cover the fact that they are cutting the budget by blaming unvaccinated workers for this service cut

I think if this kind of cut last well into next spring. I really think this is a matter of a budget cut rather than a worker shortage. 

And am I the only one who think that the service cut is much deeper than we anticipated? Because of that, I think they are trying to cover up the budget cut by blaming the workers unvaccinated. 

https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2021/11/20211121servicechanges.pdf

They said that the changes will be minor and similar to summer schedule... and there are several routes which is even beyond the summer level cuts..

For example, 49 Bloor West ran every 15 minute during the weekdays even in the summer season... 

and now it is running every 30 minute.. 50% cuts... never seen that kind of headways.. 

48 Rathburn, 49 Bloor West, and 50 Burnhamthorpe are those which is probably the most impacted... 

also I've never seen BD line running 8 minute per train overnight since I came to Toronto. 

Btw, this kind of cuts happen when any of the Ford families are on the helm..

remember when Doug Ford was a mayor?? some of the routes didn't have service after 7pm or 8pm... 

TTC = idiot.... 

Doug Ford was never mayor of any city. Perhaps you may be referring to Rob Ford, but in any event, the TTC wasn't any better worse when Rob Ford was mayor. We did see some changes to the express network, which is great but most TTC bus routes ran until the end of subway service. 

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, 409 Thornton said:

Doug Ford was never mayor of any city. Perhaps you may be referring to Rob Ford, but in any event, the TTC wasn't any better worse when Rob Ford was mayor. We did see some changes to the express network, which is great but most TTC bus routes ran until the end of subway service. 

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2011/01/31/ttc-cuts-its-list-of-service-cuts/

Back in 2011, when Rob Ford was a mayor.. several route had no service after 10pm..

I think November cut is probably the deepest one since that one in 2011.. Once again, I’ve never seen 49 Bloor West running every 30 min during the day time on the weekdays.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:37 AM, Kobayashi said:

On the topic of the bus bay layout, I remember many eons ago that there have been bus bay changes in various stations over the years that can support artics or not.

KENNEDY

Layout as of 2021:

Unloading
      21/43B/903 |              | 20/113/300B
43AC/943/343 |              | 86
 34/334-W/175 |              | 905/986/334-E
                12/57 |              | 116 
                       Wheel-Trans

Previously in 2008:

Unloading
      34-E/116 |              | 12A/20/116E
                 86 |              | 43
            34-W |              | 57
        12B/113 |              | 21/131E
                    Wheel-Trans

SCARBOROUGH CENTRE

If anyone remembers the layout for the STC terminal between 1985-2004, let me know.

Current layout

North |    21-N    |   939AB   |      129     | (E) |    985    | null  |  134/913  | North | GO

South | 130/169 | 43B/132 | 21-S/903 |  9  | (E) | 16/WT | 131 | 133 | 38/938 | South | GO

Layout in 2006

North |     130     |     134     |      129     | (E) |    21-B    | 169  |   190  | North | GO

South |   null   | 43B/132 | 21-S/131E |  9  | (E) | 16/WT | 131 | 133 | 38 | South | GO

WARDEN

Current bus bay layout

| Line 2    
——
| 68/968
——
| 69A/135
——
| 69B/70C
——
——
——
——
——

In 1979-80, the bays went like this:

| 20A/69
——
——
——
——
——
——
| 86/102 
——
——

It’s unknown which bay did the 114 KINGSTON RD EAST ended up but I don’t remember the location on the old maps on my visit back in 2008. 

| null
——
| 70C
——
——
| 69A/135
——
| 69B
——
——
——
——

I wish the TTC would consistently include the platform maps on their website.  I haven't checked with the new website, but the old one had it buried in the accessibility page for each station which was accessible.  Of course if the station doesn't have an elevator it won't have a map.

Someone has gone around an collected the platform maps from each station.  It's a bit dated now, but it's a start which I wish the TTC would continue with.

4 hours ago, MK78 said:

Well today was rather non-eventful for me as far as the schedule reduction, didn't see any extra overcrowding or missing buses.

At least there's some lucky people in the city, the 501 in the west end was a bigger cluster**** than it usually is. But there Leary and his gang are clamoring that the cuts are only to routes that have suitable alternatives and wont leave wide gaps in service.

Leary is one of the most incompetent CEO/GM's that the TTC has ever had. That rolling protest was ridiculous to me but i'm glad he got heckled.

18 minutes ago, lip said:

At least there's some lucky people in the city, the 501 in the west end was a bigger cluster**** than it usually is. But there Leary and his gang are clamoring that the cuts are only to routes that have suitable alternatives and wont leave wide gaps in service.

Leary is one of the most incompetent CEO/GM's that the TTC has ever had. That rolling protest was ridiculous to me but i'm glad he got heckled.

The 501 is screwed cause of the new downtown detour. I really don't think the cuts were the problem in this case as the TTC won't be able to operate proper service with such crazy detours anyways. The 501 won't return to normal till they are done with the KQQR intersection renewal and Queen trackwork.

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The 501 is screwed cause of the new downtown detour. I really don't think the cuts were the problem in this case as the TTC won't be able to operate proper service with such crazy detours anyways. The 501 won't return to normal till they are done with the KQQR intersection renewal and Queen trackwork.

Yeah I dont buy that. Especially when you've got buses leaving simultaneously from Long Branch in packs, there's absolutely no reason for that. Let alone 4 buses coming within 5 mins followed by a massive gap in service.

The downtown construction and detours arent helping matters at all, but the TTC is purely inept in their management and the cuts now might be exasperating the issue.

21 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The 60C destination sign reads 60C STEELES WEST to KIPLING STATION 

it’s quite an eye opener.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. Whoever has been in charge of the sign programming the last few years has degraded the quality of work with countless errors, inconsistencies and poor formatting. Off the top of my head, 905 is still missing branch letters since it was extended to Conlins on weekdays, 84/984 are still showing "via Sheppard Stn West", 900 goes to "Kipling Subway", etc.

1 hour ago, wil9402 said:

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. Whoever has been in charge of the sign programming the last few years has degraded the quality of work with countless errors, inconsistencies and poor formatting. Off the top of my head, 905 is still missing branch letters since it was extended to Conlins on weekdays, 84/984 are still showing "via Sheppard Stn West", 900 goes to "Kipling Subway", etc.

I think the 900 sign is intentional. It’s easier for tourists to understand Kipling  subway than Kipling station. The rest is crap 

On 11/23/2021 at 2:06 PM, Young said:

It also says 900 Airport Rocket To Pearson airport subway station 

Actually its 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS -> TO KIPLING SUBWAY

Oh and I forgot to add that the 97A has also been temporarily axed. All 97B and 97F buses run on Yonge Blvd and Wilson Ave skipping York Mills Stn. meaning there is no bus service on Yonge between Yonge Blvd and Wilson/YM except 320.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 7:42 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

no idea.  21 will go back to malvern.  

On top of that, which division will route 178 BRIMORTON operate out of? One can hope either Birchmount or Malvern as route 189 STOCKYARDS was awkwardly assigned to Queensway instead of Mount Dennis upon its launch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 1:03 AM, Kobayashi said:

On top of that, which division will route 178 BRIMORTON operate out of? One can hope either Birchmount or Malvern as route 189 STOCKYARDS was awkwardly assigned to Queensway instead of Mount Dennis upon its launch.

When is 178 even supposed to begin service? I haven't been able to find any service change information except on Steve Munros website

24 minutes ago, MRD10 said:

When is 178 even supposed to begin service? I haven't been able to find any service change information except on Steve Munros website

I recall the original service plan would have been to have it start operating in mid-Fall 2021 (possibly for the November board period), but the resurgence of COVID and the associated service cutbacks have postponed any further improvements, and rolled back the ones implemented in October (e.g. the 943 and 968).

There is no firm timeline at this point for restoration of the previous service level, let alone any further improvements beyond that. I think the 2022 budget allows for the restoration of full service (to pre-COVID levels) around September 2022, but that's obviously pending on a whole lot of things going right between now and then.

50 minutes ago, Articulated said:

I recall the original service plan would have been to have it start operating in mid-Fall 2021 (possibly for the November board period), but the resurgence of COVID and the associated service cutbacks have postponed any further improvements, and rolled back the ones implemented in October (e.g. the 943 and 968).

There is no firm timeline at this point for restoration of the previous service level, let alone any further improvements beyond that. I think the 2022 budget allows for the restoration of full service (to pre-COVID levels) around September 2022, but that's obviously pending on a whole lot of things going right between now and then.

Steve Munro had also reported that the changes related to the 54 and 178 were delayed due to concerns from the councillor (Ainslie). It not specified exactly what. Then with the resurgence of COVID, who knows if it will happen.

It may be included in the 2022 ASP which has still yet to go to the board.