TTC Service Changes

Mike

There was over 8000 complaints within the first 3 weeks of this trial, I discussed it last commission meeting with a few people, including Gary and Adam, Mitch was not at the meeting (very Rare for him to not be at a commission meeting ) These complaints were mainly from riders, but also Operators were complaining as well of a lot of problems too.

What kinds of complaints were received?

Are they supposed to? I know along some routes they don't pick up or something.

From what Dan said, streetcar operators are supposed to serve all stops even when off route looping. Since the looping was included in the map, there is no reason why operators should not be doing pick-ups or drop-offs. If you're not going to do that, don't include it in the map.

No, I spoke with a driver on 501 and he said they are not supposed to. When turning from Dufferin to Queen, they are supposed to serve only on Queen Street. Here we go again... different drivers have different opinions.

I beg to differ.

At the beginning, they got some memo saying that they weren't supposed pick up along the loop (again, going back to why they posted the damn loop in the first place). But, according to Dan, operators are technically supposed to pick-up even when looping off-route.

And then the day after I was rejected by a 501E driver waiting at King and Dufferin, Dan said Brad Ross posted on his Twitter that operators are supposed to serve ALL STOPS (including the looping).

No, I spoke with a driver on 501 and he said they are not supposed to. When turning from Dufferin to Queen, they are supposed to serve only on Queen Street. Here we go again... different drivers have different opinions.

Dude, they are supposed to. You're gonna believe a driver who likely doesn't bother to re-inform himself versus the TTC, Transit Toronto and this thread full of people who says "They are supposed to service stops along looping"?

Looks like the busway changes are happening with the November changes. Winners: people on Faywood route are getting much better Saturday late evening and Sunday service (will be every 20 minutes, was every 30 minutes).

196 will use 6 buses less in a.m. rush, 4 buses less midday, 8 buses less in p.m. rush and 1 bus less Saturday/Sunday morning/afternoon.

Looks like the busway changes are happening with the November changes. Winners: people on Faywood route are getting much better Saturday late evening and Sunday service (will be every 20 minutes, was every 30 minutes).

196 will use 6 buses less in a.m. rush, 4 buses less midday, 8 buses less in p.m. rush and 1 bus less Saturday/Sunday morning/afternoon.

The residents along Overbrook would beg to differ. The rerouting of the 104 means they lose their service. The increased frequency might appease them. I suppose one of the other routes (105 or 117) could make the run up Wilmington and then across Overbrook to Dufferin.

I'm hoping when these changes take effect they'll update their online system map.

Dude, they are supposed to. You're gonna believe a driver who likely doesn't bother to re-inform himself versus the TTC, Transit Toronto and this thread full of people who says "They are supposed to service stops along looping"?

There was clearly miscommunication among the operators. Eith it's good that this is over. Streetcars were still short turning at Kingston and at other non-planned loops. At least TTC tried something out.

The residents along Overbrook would beg to differ. The rerouting of the 104 means they lose their service. The increased frequency might appease them. I suppose one of the other routes (105 or 117) could make the run up Wilmington and then across Overbrook to Dufferin.
The whole distance of Overbrook between WIlmington and Dufferin is 700 meters so the people aren't losing all that much. They can walk an extra 500 meters.

Rerouting 105 or 117 through the area would defeat the purpose of those routes and any benefit the busway would offer. 105 provides service to the areas north of Steeles have a longer route through the Wilmington area would be an inconvinience. Similarly, for the 117 which exists to provide service to the industrial area in the Alness/Flint area. Those buses are jam packed in the morning and the people wouldn't appreciate a more scenic route to work.

The whole distance of Overbrook between WIlmington and Dufferin is 700 meters so the people aren't losing all that much. They can walk an extra 500 meters.

Rerouting 105 or 117 through the area would defeat the purpose of those routes and any benefit the busway would offer. 105 provides service to the areas north of Steeles have a longer route through the Wilmington area would be an inconvinience. Similarly, for the 117 which exists to provide service to the industrial area in the Alness/Flint area. Those buses are jam packed in the morning and the people wouldn't appreciate a more scenic route to work.

I was thinking more of the 105C which only runs as far as Steeles. I know it doesn't run all the time, but if YRT ever decides to take over the portion north of Steeles once the Spadina extension is built, then maybe. The residents seem vocal but resigned to the fact that they will have to walk a little bit further. I don't know if they bothered to get their councillor involved. How much weight does the TTC apply to travelling further to access transit vs. a faster trip in relation to the number of customers affected?

I was thinking more of the 105C which only runs as far as Steeles. I know it doesn't run all the time, but if YRT ever decides to take over the portion north of Steeles once the Spadina extension is built, then maybe. The residents seem vocal but resigned to the fact that they will have to walk a little bit further. I don't know if they bothered to get their councillor involved. How much weight does the TTC apply to travelling further to access transit vs. a faster trip in relation to the number of customers affected?

Why would you reroute the 105C branch (which only operates Late Evenings) onto the Wilmington / Overbrook area? What about throughout the day? The rerouting of 105C would be pointless. As said above the only streets that lost transit service are Overbrook Place (Route 104) and Martin Ross Ave between Dufferin St and Alness St (Route 117). Riders around these two streets are within a reasonable walking distance to the nearest bus stops. Overbrook Place lost out on 2 bus stops. One at Shaftesbury St (1 block west of Wilmington Ave) and another stop at Honiton St (Which is close to Dufferin St). Walking distance.

For the Martin Ross Ave part the only stop lost is at Brisbane Rd which would mean one of 2 things. 1. A short walk along Martin Ross Ave to either Dufferin St or Alness St. Or 2. Brisbane Rd would still be served by the 117 Alness at a new bus stop on Alness St at Brisbane Rd.

About YRT Taking the portion north of Steeles? They already do! If you mean to add late evening service on Dufferin St north of Steeles Ave when the subway is extended I doubt YRT would be looking at introducing Late evening service there. If that was the case then what's stopping them now? Another thing is if YRT did introduce Late evening service north of Steeles YRT wouldn't have a say anyways in rerouting the 105C onto Wilmington / Overbrook area cause 1. It's not YRT territory and 2. They'd think about YRT area in general and would most likely prefer the route go down Dufferin St / Allen Rd to Downsview Stn.

The TTC weighting scheme is: a minute of in-vehicle travel time = 1, a minute of waiting time = 1.5, a minute of walking time = 2, each transfer = 10.

• 1 month later...

January Service Changes are up on the TTC's website.

TTC.ca: January 2010 Service Changes

Service increases will be made on routes 192, 144, 191, 86 & 96. Schedule changes will be made on routes 310 & 34. Routes 169 & 190 will have their bus bays changed at Scarborough Centre Station. Branch identification changes will be made to 69.

The 69 via Warden branch will be made 69A. The destination signs will look like this:

69A WARDEN SOUTH / TO KINGSTON RD / via WARDEN

69B WARDEN SOUTH / TO KINGSTON RD / via BIRCHMOUNT

69 WARDEN SOUTH / TO WARDEN STN

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
TTC updated service changes for March. Looks like we're getting a lot of rush hour service cuts.

Any known reason(s) for the rush hour cuts? Seems a bit counter productive to me..

Economy? the worst of the economic slowdown is done.... if anything it would be the fare hike keeping people off the system. If it was the economy then cuts would of been made last year.

Also, isn't this quite early for the TTC announce the service changes? Usually they are not posted until the thursday or friday before the new board persiod.

I'm going to assume the economy and the fare hike. Noticed a little more elbow room lately?