TTC Service Changes

Mike

27 Jane South

This will be a new route replacing the southern portion of the current 35 Jane. The 27 Jane South will serve Jane Street from the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5 to Jane Station on Line 2. By separating the 27 Jane South from the 35 Jane, customers can expect more reliable service on the route, and service levels better tailored to ridership demand. Customers that are travelling through Eglinton Avenue can still make use of 935 Jane Express.

Given that 935 is limited stop the TTC is basically saying that every single customer who is getting on/off at a stop not served by 935 (and going between north of Eglinton to a point south of Eglinton) will now require a transfer either  at Mount Dennis or at a stop served by 35/935 or 27/935.  If there are frequent users (or operators) of route 35 before the pandemic on here - what was ridership on the route like between points south of Eglinton to points north of Eglinton?

51 Leslie

The 56 Leaside will be cancelled and replaced by an extended 51 Leslie to Donlands Station. With the introduction of Line 5 on Eglinton Avenue, the current routings on Eglinton by 51 Leslie and 56 Leaside will be made redundant. Customers currently travelling along Eglinton via 51 and 56 should expect to transfer at Sunnybrook Park Station or Laird Station. A short-turn branch from Donlands Station to Laird Station (51B) will operate during peak periods to provide additional service south of Eglinton Avenue.

Before the pandemic was service on 51 less frequent than 56 at all times?  

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Looking randomly at the February 2020 board (during Eglinton construction), they weren't that dissimilar off-peak ... 20 to 30 minutes at various times of the day. The big difference is peak. 51 was every 20 to 21 minutes. But 56 was split at peak, with remaining Donlands to Eglinton service being every every 10 to 10.5 minutes, with the Laird to Eglinton Station section being every 20 to 21 minutes.

I suppose they could easily run it every 20 minutes north of Eglinton, and add the extra buses south of Eglinton to make it every 10 minutes.

39 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Looking randomly at the February 2020 board (during Eglinton construction), they weren't that dissimilar off-peak ... 20 to 30 minutes at various times of the day. The big difference is peak. 51 was every 20 to 21 minutes. But 56 was split at peak, with remaining Donlands to Eglinton service being every every 10 to 10.5 minutes, with the Laird to Eglinton Station section being every 20 to 21 minutes.

I suppose they could easily run it every 20 minutes north of Eglinton, and add the extra buses south of Eglinton to make it every 10 minutes.

They will be doing that.. The TTC service plan mentioned 51B service from Donlands Stn to Laird Station at peak times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Given that 935 is limited stop the TTC is basically saying that every single customer who is getting on/off at a stop not served by 935 (and going between north of Eglinton to a point south of Eglinton) will now require a transfer either  at Mount Dennis or at a stop served by 35/935 or 27/935.  If there are frequent users (or operators) of route 35 before the pandemic on here - what was ridership on the route like between points south of Eglinton to points north of Eglinton?

The corridor is pretty local. Most people don't ride from Sheppard to Line 2. Pack jammed buses southbound empty out by Eglinton with seats. It'll slowly fill back up by Bloor. Half of those riders currently staying on are headed downtown and would utilize Line 5 instead. So the truly inconvenient ones are pretty low. The 935 dipping into Mt Dennis is going to be a major annoyance. It'll add at least 10 minute to the trip in rush hour. Might as well hop off at Jane/Eg and grab the next 35 or 935. Check the app first and see if there is one coming, so you don't end up on the same bus you got off 10 min ago.

The 51 and 56 have similar evenings and weekends service. 56 is twice as frequent in rush hour (combined branches) and slightly more frequent during weekdays midday. The 51 could use a slightly better service. I don't think they are short turning the 51B at the right place. With the 54 rerouted onto Don Mills, they should bring back the temporary 51C routing to Lawrence/Don Mills that operated in summer 2019. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 9:03 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Jane corridor (27/35/935): It does help by dividing the demand and feeding into the nearest rapid transit station. With 935 Jane Express being the continuous transfer free ride except looping into Mount Dennis until the Eglinton Crosstown West extension is built. Not sure if they will operate the 935 Jane Express with expanded hours of operations to match the subway for those who prefer not to switch buses if starting at Jane or Pioneer Village and the final destination just after Eglinton. 

I am good with all the changes except for this one.. 

As a matter of fact, the length between Jane/Eglinton 

I am pretty sure there are a lot of people taking a ride from Jane to north of Eglinton, and I don't know how many people will like adding extra 10-20 minute  to their travel... I think most of the area along Jane north of Eglinton is a low income area, and people rely on the buses a lot.. it would definitely hurt those trying to get to Jane Station

This wouldn't have happened if the original Eglinton LRT (which starts from Pearson instead of Mount Dennis) was still alive and yet.. Rob Ford tried to sabotage the project when be became a mayor and delayed it with a shortened version. Tbh, Ford families are such a cancerous people in both Ontario and Toronto. I am not hoping any of the Fords will step into the politics again to create dynasty like Kim's family in North Korea or Castro's in Cuba. 

2 hours ago, raptorjays said:

I am good with all the changes except for this one.. 

As a matter of fact, the length between Jane/Eglinton 

I am pretty sure there are a lot of people taking a ride from Jane to north of Eglinton, and I don't know how many people will like adding extra 10-20 minute  to their travel... I think most of the area along Jane north of Eglinton is a low income area, and people rely on the buses a lot.. it would definitely hurt those trying to get to Jane Station

This wouldn't have happened if the original Eglinton LRT (which starts from Pearson instead of Mount Dennis) was still alive and yet.. Rob Ford tried to sabotage the project when be became a mayor and delayed it with a shortened version. Tbh, Ford families are such a cancerous people in both Ontario and Toronto. I am not hoping any of the Fords will step into the politics again to create dynasty like Kim's family in North Korea or Castro's in Cuba. 

I do not necessarily agree with the changes on Jane. I would rather the express stay on Jane, the local routes are fine the way they have them planned. But I am sure people will be ok getting off an express and transferring to the local bus. 

I do not like the fact that the Eglinton line was cut to pieces by a ford brother but the comparison between the Ford family and Kim or Castro family is a big stretch. The Fords are bad but not that bad. At least there is transit being built and hopefully more transit will get built over the years. I am also positive more transit will be built when we can vote out the ridiculous Ford administration. 

The big problem was 30-50 years ago more transit should have been built but politicians didn't want to spend the money and now the costs are much higher and there are more people that travel on certain corridors. Hence why stuff gets built underground and the tunnels cost a lot and takes lots of time to build. If things were built many years ago when population was lower, it would have been cheaper and easier. Now we are playing catch up and its going to take time to get to where we need to be. 

Just remember next year when the election happens go out and vote and hopefully Ford is gone, then we do not need to worry about a politician that is apparently as bad as some of the worst leaders in the world. 

1 hour ago, brianc1981 said:

I do not necessarily agree with the changes on Jane. I would rather the express stay on Jane, the local routes are fine the way they have them planned. But I am sure people will be ok getting off an express and transferring to the local bus. 

I do not like the fact that the Eglinton line was cut to pieces by a ford brother but the comparison between the Ford family and Kim or Castro family is a big stretch. The Fords are bad but not that bad. At least there is transit being built and hopefully more transit will get built over the years. I am also positive more transit will be built when we can vote out the ridiculous Ford administration. 

The big problem was 30-50 years ago more transit should have been built but politicians didn't want to spend the money and now the costs are much higher and there are more people that travel on certain corridors. Hence why stuff gets built underground and the tunnels cost a lot and takes lots of time to build. If things were built many years ago when population was lower, it would have been cheaper and easier. Now we are playing catch up and its going to take time to get to where we need to be. 

Just remember next year when the election happens go out and vote and hopefully Ford is gone, then we do not need to worry about a politician that is apparently as bad as some of the worst leaders in the world. 

Ya, express service should have been stayed going through Eglinton... Diverting to Mount Dennis station seems to be a huge detour..

And those Ford brothers are evil because they are full of hypocrisy and double standards. I remember they went ALL-IN for building subways and build everything underground.

However, Doug Ford changed the relief line planned by John Tory to teeny-tiny LRT line.. and they are planning to build it overground along the Leslieville area despite strong oppositions within the community.. It is so ridiculous because he was the one who supported underground transit... and he is now saying building overground is better because it's cheap. 

We need to do our best to #votefordout2022 because #fordfailedthepeople and #fordfailedontario

On 6/25/2021 at 10:00 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

Those changes are approved for this year. TTC usually implements new additions in the fall when people get back to school after the summer holiday season. We should see those new express those new express routes (938, 943 and 968), a new route to Stanley Greene neighbourhood, this 121 routing changes as well as the Scarborough East reorganization. 

http://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2020/December_15/Reports/Decisions/2049_9_2021_Annual_Service_Plan_Decision.pdf

The 172 won't reappear till next year so my guess is the 121 will stay the way it is till the 121 to Cherry Beach ends. The recommendations for all these changes won't reach the board till the end of the year. If approved, they will take 4 months to implement. Just in time for May 2022. I sent my comments in for the 172, they should loop around Union the same way as the 72B. All southbound service to the waterfront east should be at one bus stop (19, 72B and 172), not diagonally across the intersection. They either don't realize reality (which is probably true) or they really don't want the regular 19/72B riders taking the 172.

Come to think of it, what about route shuffles when LINE 5 EGLINTON opens? My guess the affected routes involved or not involved would transfer garages but that would be a tough challenge. With the 34 EGLINTON losing bus service between Don Mills and Kennedy, there could be a possible way to pay this off but there could be divisional assignments for both the 2021 and 2022 Service Plans:

- 13 AVENUE ROAD - Wilson
- 18 CALEDONIA - Wilson
- 19 BAY - Birchmount
- 27 JANE SOUTH - Mount Dennis
- 32/332 EGLINTON WEST - Mount Dennis
- 34/334 EGLINTON - Wilson or Eglinton/Mount Dennis
- 35/935/335 JANE - Arrow Road
- 47 LANSDOWNE - Mount Dennis
- 51 LESLIE - McNicoll
- 52/952/352 LAWRENCE WEST - Mount Dennis
- 54/954/354 LAWRENCE EAST - Eglinton
- 74 MOUNT PLEASANT - Eglinton
- 89/989 WESTON - Wilson
- 103 MOUNT PLEASANT NORTH - Eglinton
- 107 YORK UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS - Wilson
- 121 FRONT-ESPALANDE - Birchmount
- 150 EASTERN - Birchmount
- 158 TRETHEWEY - Mount Dennis
- 170 EMMETT - Mount Dennis 
- 172 CHERRY BEACH - Birchmount
- 178 BRIMORTON - Malvern
- 179 CASTLEFIELD - Mount Dennis

On 6/27/2021 at 9:00 PM, brianc1981 said:

The 935 is a huge issue if it doubles back like that. It's such a waste of time. Plus the Mt Dennis bus terminal is located at such a hard to reach place. Bypassing Line 5 would leave a network gap. My suggestion to the TTC is run two branches, one Mt Dennis station to Pioner Village Station. The other is keep the same 935 to Jane. This leaves the southern end with half as much service which they can either run a third branch of 935 between Jane and Mt Dennis or improve the 27. 

20 minutes ago, Eren Jaeger said:

Come to think of it, what about route shuffles when LINE 5 EGLINTON opens? My guess the affected routes involved or not involved would transfer garages but that would be a tough challenge. With the 34 EGLINTON losing bus service between Don Mills and Kennedy, there could be a possible way to pay this off but there could be divisional assignments for both the 2021 and 2022 Service Plans:

- 13 AVENUE ROAD - Wilson
- 18 CALEDONIA - Wilson
- 19 BAY - Birchmount
- 27 JANE SOUTH - Mount Dennis
- 32/332 EGLINTON WEST - Mount Dennis
- 34/334 EGLINTON - Wilson or Eglinton/Mount Dennis
- 35/935/335 JANE - Arrow Road
- 47 LANSDOWNE - Mount Dennis
- 51 LESLIE - McNicoll
- 52/952/352 LAWRENCE WEST - Mount Dennis
- 54/954/354 LAWRENCE EAST - Eglinton
- 74 MOUNT PLEASANT - Eglinton
- 89/989 WESTON - Wilson
- 103 MOUNT PLEASANT NORTH - Eglinton
- 107 YORK UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS - Wilson
- 121 FRONT-ESPALANDE - Birchmount
- 150 EASTERN - Birchmount
- 158 TRETHEWEY - Mount Dennis
- 170 EMMETT - Mount Dennis 
- 172 CHERRY BEACH - Birchmount
- 178 BRIMORTON - Malvern
- 179 CASTLEFIELD - Mount Dennis

Once Line 5 and Line 6 opens, over 100 bus would be freed up. I'll expect more service improvement to many routes so route movements would likely be minimized. Mt Dennis and Eglinton would have a lot more bus once Line 5 opens and Arrow for Line 6. 

34 Eglinton - Mt Dennis is more likely to operate the route, it is closest to the division and they are losing the most runs from the 32. This route at the best would operate with a 15 minute headway using 6-7 buses.
35 Jane - Probably stay with Mt Dennis with new artics.
52 Lawrence West - Arrow is having buses freed up from the 36. Losing the 52 too means 70+ runs being freed, ~25 are artics run.  If they get the 35, that'll add 40-45 buses but a conversion to artics means 35-40 buses.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The 935 is a huge issue if it doubles back like that. It's such a waste of time. Plus the Mt Dennis bus terminal is located at such a hard to reach place. Bypassing Line 5 would leave a network gap. My suggestion to the TTC is run two branches, one Mt Dennis station to Pioner Village Station. The other is keep the same 935 to Jane. This leaves the southern end with half as much service which they can either run a third branch of 935 between Jane and Mt Dennis or improve the 27. 

Once Line 5 and Line 6 opens, over 100 bus would be freed up. I'll expect more service improvement to many routes so route movements would likely be minimized. Mt Dennis and Eglinton would have a lot more bus once Line 5 opens and Arrow for Line 6. 

34 Eglinton - Mt Dennis is more likely to operate the route, it is closest to the division and they are losing the most runs from the 32. This route at the best would operate with a 15 minute headway using 6-7 buses.
35 Jane - Probably stay with Mt Dennis with new artics.
52 Lawrence West - Arrow is having buses freed up from the 36. Losing the 52 too means 70+ runs being freed, ~25 are artics run.  If they get the 35, that'll add 40-45 buses but a conversion to artics means 35-40 buses.

Unrelated but Does anyone know if the TTC ordered the new artics already ?? Also I think the 52 would be better off staying at Arrow 

6 hours ago, Young said:

Unrelated but Does anyone know if the TTC ordered the new artics already ?? Also I think the 52 would be better off staying at Arrow 

If I remember correctly, the TTC will award the contract for the hybrid order (standard 40ft/artics) by Q3 2021 which is not too far from now. Also, when the new artics arrive, they should be able to convert the 927 to artic operation. Or they could do that conversion now by removing artics from the 41 since Keele doesn't need artics. I think that Arrow should retake the 35 Jane when Line 6 opens and they can use the artics at Arrow which currently has 35 artics. For the 52, I wouldn't mind if MtD took that route back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shemar said:

If I remember correctly, the TTC will award the contract for the hybrid order (standard 40ft/artics) by Q3 2021 which is not too far from now. 

If it's by Q3, that gives then about 60 hours. Perhaps more likely it's in Q3.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:00 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

Yes, It is ridiculous that they are making all services on Jane to stop at Mount Dennis station, which is about a kilometre away from Jane & Eglinton intersection. It would have been little better if they only left 935 to bypass Mount Dennis station, but the plan seems to be very ridiculous.. and that would be a big blow for those traveling between Jane Station and anywhere north of Jane and Eglinton.

Do you think it would have been better if the branches were divided like that?

Branch 1: Jane Station-Steeles/Pioneer Village Station (same as original 35 Jane)

Branch 2: Jane Station-Mount Dennis Station (same as proposed 27 Jane South)

Branch 3: Mount Dennis Station-Steeles/Pioneer Village Station (same as revised 35 Jane)

Express Branch 1: Jane Station-Steeles/Pioneer Village Station (same as original 935)

Express Branch 2: Mount Dennis Station-Steeles/Pioneer Village Station (same as revised 935 Jane)

I think there should have been at least one branch going through Jane & Eglinton because I don't think those riders who lives north of Eglinton going to Jane Station was completely ignored.. 

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Keep in mind, that presumably these routings are temporary until the west extension opens. Is there any timings on those? In theory, Jane station could open much, much earlier than the underground section.

The contract for the tunnelling extension has been awarded. Timelines are still to be confirmed which would give the opportunity of building out the stations at a future date along with the rails and overhead wires. 

https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Contract-awarded-Eglinton-Crosstown-West-Extension/

Other than construction starting right now with the tunnelling work starting in the spring/summer of next year (2022) with the tunnel boring machines. The tunnels and rail infrastructure are being issued in another contract. I guess to do it in phases versus trying to do with one massive contract and give to a single consortium that can handle the large scale. 

2 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Yes, It is ridiculous that they are making all services on Jane to stop at Mount Dennis station, which is about a kilometre away from Jane & Eglinton intersection. It would have been little better if they only left 935 to bypass Mount Dennis station, but the plan seems to be very ridiculous.. and that would be a big blow for those traveling between Jane Station and anywhere north of Jane and Eglinton.

Do you think it would have been better if the branches were divided like that?

Branch 1: Jane Station-Steeles/Pioneer Village Station (same as original 35 Jane)

Branch 2: Jane Station-Mount Dennis Station (same as proposed 27 Jane South)

Branch 3: Mount Dennis Station-Steeles/Pioneer Village Station (same as revised 35 Jane)

Express Branch 1: Jane Station-Steeles/Pioneer Village Station (same as original 935)

Express Branch 2: Mount Dennis Station-Steeles/Pioneer Village Station (same as revised 935 Jane)

I think there should have been at least one branch going through Jane & Eglinton because I don't think those riders who lives north of Eglinton going to Jane Station was completely ignored.. 

There is the letter branches. A, B, C and D configuration. 

35A Jane to Jane Station/Pioneer Village 

35B Jane to Jane Station/Mount Dennis Station 

35C Jane to Pioneer Village/Mount Dennis Station 

935A Jane Express to Jane Station/Pioneer Village

935B Jane Express to Jane Station/Mount Dennis Station 

As mentioned by several posts, it is most likely temporary until the Eglinton West extension is completed and avoid the need to deviate a long distance to the terminus to Mount Dennis. The tunnelling is expected sometime in Spring or Summer of next year pending on when they can get the equipment setup for the tunnel boring machines. 

6 hours ago, nfitz said:

Keep in mind, that presumably these routings are temporary until the west extension opens. Is there any timings on those? In theory, Jane station could open much, much earlier than the underground section.

Eg West opening date is still target for 2030/31. That's a decade away. An initial business report states the earliest opening date possible is 2028.

The current tunnel contract is TBM only (2022-25). You will not see any station construction nor will the elevated guideway be built. Jane Station (Line 5) will not start till they award the system outfitting contract is 2024/25. Presumably they start in 2025/26, the station would be in 2028/29. The udnerground stations however probably won't finish till 2030 assuming no delays.

If Metrolinx built the subway like everyone else does and start digging each station day, this line could open in 2026-28. Instead they do this dumb tunnel first, build later.

11 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Eg West opening date is still target for 2030/31. That's a decade away. An initial business report states the earliest opening date possible is 2028.

The current tunnel contract is TBM only (2022-25). You will not see any station construction nor will the elevated guideway be built. Jane Station (Line 5) will not start till they award the system outfitting contract is 2024/25. Presumably they start in 2025/26, the station would be in 2028/29. The udnerground stations however probably won't finish till 2030 assuming no delays.

If Metrolinx built the subway like everyone else does and start digging each station day, this line could open in 2026-28. Instead they do this dumb tunnel first, build later.

I can see with the approach they are using, that Royal York to Renforth wouldn't open anytime soon. But why not build the at/grade and elevated section  to Scarlett sooner than later. Wouldn't it provide a revenue stream earlier for the consortium?

The changes to the 35 should be similar to the weekday service on MiWay 26/76. MiWay 26 provides service on Burnhamthorpe bypassing Square One while the 76 goes to Square One via Burnhamthorpe. Service on Jane should be like Burnhamthorpe where 35 provides service on Jane while the 27 goes to Mt. Dennis via Jane. I still would suggest as well the proposed branch on the 35 to operate from Pioneer Village Stn. to Mt. Dennis. I'm pretty sure a good amount of Jane riders who come off of Line 2 mostly travel north of Eglinton so keeping a direct route on Jane should stay. As for express service the 935 should stay as is. It's call "JANE express" and it should remain on Jane.

My changes:

27 Jane South: Jane Stn - Mt. Dennis

35A Jane: Jane. Stn - Pionner Village Stn

35B Jane: Mt. Dennis - Pionner Village Stn

935 remains as is

Also i think the proposed 158 Tretheway should be extended to Albion & Weston like the 89 should be considered for connections to the 96/996 and 165 instead of ending the route south of the highway at Knob Hill Dr. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CFMaster said:

Also i think the proposed 158 Tretheway should be extended to Albion & Weston like the 89 should be considered for connections to the 96/996 and 165 instead of ending the route south of the highway at Knob Hill Dr. 

This route is for those who live on Trethewey and those getting from somewhere on Weston Rd to Jane/Lawrence. If you want to go to Mt Dennis from Albion/Weston, the 89/989 is going to be faster. People also seem to board the 52 in mass at Weston and get off by Jane indicating some are coming from the 89. 

If they are coming from the 96/996, a transfer to the 35/935 would almost certain be faster too. 

56 minutes ago, CFMaster said:

The changes to the 35 should be similar to the weekday service on MiWay 26/76. MiWay 26 provides service on Burnhamthorpe bypassing Square One while the 76 goes to Square One via Burnhamthorpe. Service on Jane should be like Burnhamthorpe where 35 provides service on Jane while the 27 goes to Mt. Dennis via Jane. I still would suggest as well the proposed branch on the 35 to operate from Pioneer Village Stn. to Mt. Dennis. I'm pretty sure a good amount of Jane riders who come off of Line 2 mostly travel north of Eglinton so keeping a direct route on Jane should stay. As for express service the 935 should stay as is. It's call "JANE express" and it should remain on Jane.

My changes:

935 remains as is

Ya this is my thought as well.. There should be at least one branch going through Jane.

On 7/1/2021 at 2:38 PM, CFMaster said:

My changes:

935 remains as is

I guess no service on Hullmar at all. But come to think of it, why not have the TTC split off the 108A via Grandravine and the 35B on Hullmar between Sheppard West and Pioneer Village stations to become the route of its own?  

On 6/29/2021 at 7:27 AM, Shemar said:

If I remember correctly, the TTC will award the contract for the hybrid order (standard 40ft/artics) by Q3 2021 which is not too far from now. Also, when the new artics arrive, they should be able to convert the 927 to artic operation. Or they could do that conversion now by removing artics from the 41 since Keele doesn't need artics. I think that Arrow should retake the 35 Jane when Line 6 opens and they can use the artics at Arrow which currently has 35 artics. For the 52, I wouldn't mind if MtD took that route back.

Is the relief point for the 52 still at Jane & Lawrence as it was when Mt. Dennis had it?

On 6/29/2021 at 7:27 AM, Shemar said:

Why do you say Keele no longer needs artics?

On 6/29/2021 at 10:05 PM, Young said:

I wonder if the 41 Keele buses will enter the bus terminal at Keelesdale station or stop on street 

Would think it depends on how many routes will service Keelesdale. I can see 41doing either, especially NB as it is easier to get into and out of  Keelesdale even though artics take up a lot of real estate  per bus bay. SB unlikely as it is an awkward Stn. to get into and exit back out from to go south.

• Like 1

Personal opinion: the 29 Dufferin has its buses way too close to each other for efficient service on the route. Post-pandemic, it’s obvious that bunching is a problem. But when you have buses every 3-4 mins it’s inevitable