Mike

TTC Service Changes

All Line 2 trains I saw today had the guard back in the old position. My first train had the guard in the 2nd to last car. Talking to a few of the guards, they said the move was to allow them to have very limit contact to the public and prefer the old position over being at the rear.

Sunday and today saw a drop in ridership on Line 1, 2 & 4 as well Route 29, 501 and 504.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, drum118 said:

All Line 2 trains I saw today had the guard back in the old position. My first train had the guard in the 2nd to last car. Talking to a few of the guards, they said the move was to allow them to have very limit contact to the public and prefer the old position over being at the rear.

Sunday and today saw a drop in ridership on Line 1, 2 & 4 as well Route 29, 501 and 504.

My train this morning had a guard at the end of the train, but the one going the opposite direction was in car 5. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, drum118 said:

That's a good idea. I remember when the rear guarding position was implemented I could hear a lot of them grumbling about it at Coxwell during the changeovers.

What was good about the rear guarding position is quicker turnarounds at Kipling/Kennedy if needed, as well as quicker turnbacks during an emergency.

With the normal new board starting this Sunday, TTC has altered a number of routes due to the COVID-19 situation.

All Express Network routes (140s and 900s) are cancelled save for the 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS, 903 KENNEDY-SCARBOROUGH EXPRESS and 927 HIGHWAY 27 EXPRESS with some exceptions:

• 905 EGLINTON EAST EXPRESS - Customers can utilize 86 Scarborough or 116 Morningside service. Customers travelling to U of T Scarborough should utilize 116A Morningside service to Military Trail/Ellesmere Road.
  • 913 PROGRESS EXPRESS - All service operates as the 134C
  • 939 FINCH EXPRESS - Additional 36B Finch West service will operate when required from Finch West Station to Finch Station. Customers travelling to Scarborough Centre Station can transfer to 129 McCowan North service at Finch Avenue East and McCowan Road
  • 985 SHEPPARD EAST EXPRESS - Customers travelling between Don Mills Station and Scarborough Centre Station can transfer between 85 Sheppard East and 129 McCowan North services at Sheppard Avenue East and McCowan Road (985A only)

503 KINGSTON RD is shortened to operate between Bingham Loop and Queen/Kingston only. The 508 LAKE SHORE streetcar is suspended as well.

Cash, tokens and paper transfers are not accepted for now although it's likely the TTC is free for non-Presto users despite having to pay the fare like at a station or on a streetcar.

Is it possible on the T1's to stop the doors on the first and last car from opening? Why not block the first and last car from passengers? Or use those red tarps to prevent people from getting on?

Same with GO transit. Why not prevent people from boarding can cars?

8 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

There was some runs on the 939C in PM peak yesterday (Mar 26). They operated local on the entire run. The Malvern artics were mostly reallocated to 39/939 instead of 85.

-----

Service summary posted: http://ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Service Summary_2020-03-29.pdf

If they are more useful on Finch East, why put them on Sheppard East in the first place.

• Like 1

As the 905 and 986 services have returned albeit operating local stops, per @leylandvictory2, most of the Express Network services (900/140) will remain suspended for the time being next board.

The 116B MORNINGSIDE (Kingston/Eglinton, formerly the 34 EGLINTON EAST branch) is also given the temporary axe. No surprise if the 86B is canned next.

18 hours ago, Express Network said:

Notably, the 116B MORNINGSIDE (formerly the 34 to Kingston) was temporarily given the axe. Once the pandemic eases off, perhaps it should permanent?

It was only a peak hour supplemental service, so if the ridership won't warrant it, I don't see it returning. I'm surprised that 12D survived the axe.

Forgot to add before, that 116B used to be suspended at end of June, resuming when schools reopen in September.