Mike

TTC Service Changes

6 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The are washrooms in distillery district. It's just a couple of minute of walking. I'm not sure if they'll be opened at late nights. 

That’s not going to fly, surely.

Today is the first day of this board period. A few things that can be good and bad.

GOOD: 
- NextBus trackers updated fine.

BAD:
- TTC still has not uploaded this board's service summary.
- Ride Guide maps are still stuck to December 2017 and July 2018. 

Service summaries have been running a week or two behind in 2018 - probably shaking the bugs out of the new service before transitfans flood TTC twitter with service issues they found...

(edit: since some express changes are happening in October maybe this explains the delay in replacing maps)

Schedules have been messed up on many routes with multiple branches since June. There are missing major stops, listing all branches on a stop that services only one branch.

I really wonder why they didn't re-number the 86E to the 986 Express now. They renamed the 198 UofT Rocket to 905 Eglinton East Express, which boards from the same platform at Kennedy Station.

They will have to reprint the boarding signs and change all the stickers on the stops and other stuff in October.

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

I really wonder why they didn't re-number the 86E to the 986 Express now. They renamed the 198 UofT Rocket to 905 Eglinton East Express, which boards from the same platform at Kennedy Station.

They will have to reprint the boarding signs and change all the stickers on the stops and other stuff in October.

They already changed the stops

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

All the updated stop poles have 986 on them already. instead of 86E.

7 minutes ago, wil9402 said:

Interesting. All of the stop poles north of Sheppard that I've seen still have 185 on them, and most of the poles along Sheppard still have 190. Of course they'd focus on changing the stops for a route that hasn't gotten a scheduled change date, yet they don't touch the ones that have already changed numbers... <_<

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Interesting. All of the stop poles north of Sheppard that I've seen still have 185 on them, and most of the poles along Sheppard still have 190. Of course they'd focus on changing the stops for a route that hasn't gotten a scheduled change date, yet they don't touch the ones that have already changed numbers... <_<

Along Eglinton between Midland and Markham, on my observations, they still have the 198 on the stop poles.

Interestingly, some buses (such as #9057) have the 913 programming on them while others have 134 sign. The 913 still uses the local 134C stop announcements on both sides as opposed to the express ones such as the PM bus I rode.

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

All the new stops along Sheppard has 985 on them. The current stops have been missed. They have 199 around still but they managed to update poles for 902, 905+986, 913, 935, 937, 954 and even 945. They sure are getting their priority right.

2 hours ago, Articulated said:

I have spotted some 985 stop poles along the 985B section along with I believe Kennedy & Sheppard. It seems as though they just updated Kingston Rd as a whole because all the stops I've noticed from St Clair to the Highland Creek Overpass were updated to include all current and future route changes (12D, 902, 905, 986). So for example, the eastbound Kingston Rd at Lawrence stop now shows 12, 86, 905, 986 & 334.

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

All the new stops along Sheppard has 985 on them. The current stops have been missed. They have 199 around still but they managed to update poles for 902, 905+986, 913, 935, 937, 954 and even 945. They sure are getting their priority right.

I don't know about the others but I do know that they have yet to complete 954 in its entirety. There are still stops on the eastern end that have 54E as of this afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

1 minute ago, wil9402 said:

I have spotted some 985 stop poles along the 985B section along with I believe Kennedy & Sheppard. It seems as though they just updated Kingston Rd as a whole because all the stops I've noticed from St Clair to the Highland Creek Overpass were updated to include all current and future route changes (12D, 902, 905, 986). So for example, the eastbound Kingston Rd at Lawrence stop now shows 12, 86, 905, 986 & 334.

I don't know about the others but I do know that they have yet to complete 954 in its entirety. There are still stops on the eastern end that have 54E as of this afternoon. 

There was only one WB stop I saw with the new 985 sticker when I rode the 190 on Saturday - it was a major intersection and I thought it was Warden, but could definitely have been Kennedy. Dunno why they would only have done one of the stops and not the rest.

15 hours ago, MK78 said:

There were so many changes required to bring all of the new express routes in line with each other - it's not just a basic renumbering, remember, a lot of them are having headway and run time changes, as well as a bunch of brand new routes being instituted - that it was felt that the planning department didn't have the manpower to make all of the changes in time in one board period. That's why they've split all of the changes over two boards.

As for why any one particular route got chosen over any other? I honestly don't know. It could be that they chose the routes based on what the anticipated work load was going to be to structure all of the changes, and tried to split them up evenly.

Dan

I really don't understand why the TTC has to include "Express Network" on the destination sign. Then some operators choose to use the EXPRESS PR sign too.

For shorter name routes like 913 Progress Express, they are able to fit the route name and destination on one sign. Thus half the time it'll be displaying the route number and destination or 1/3 of the time with EXPRESS PR.

For longer name routes like 985 with the express PR sign, it'll have to scroll through 4 lines,

985B SHEPPARD EAST EXPRESS // 985B SHEPPARD EAST TO MEADOWVALE // EXPRESS NETWORK // EXPRESS

Meaning it'll display the destination 25% of the time.

Now Add Detour on Route and it'll be 20% of the time. It really doesn't help clueless riders

6 hours ago, Ontario_Transit said:

Well I saw this desto:        902 Markham Road Express           EXPRESS      EXPRESS NETWORK    Detour on Route

Yeah, I am not sure why are they essentially duplicating EXPRESS then EXPRESS NETWORK... Get rid of the EXPRESS. Seeing this on the 905 Scarborough East Express also...

On 9/4/2018 at 7:13 PM, wil9402 said:

Well that's nice for the people who aren't from the area and could get easily confused...

Oh well.

Express is a PR message that the operator can choose to put up. Majority of operators when doing an old Rocket or Express route would put up the Express PR; TTC probably recognized this and that's why they added the Express Network sign as part of the regular route programming. Operators continuing to put the Express PR up is likely a holdover, as some are likely unaware of that extra Express Network sign that accompanies the 9xx routes.

Yes it's overkill but I imagine it will die out. And btw, one can only have one PR sign up at a time - so you can't have both Express and Route On Detour at the same time. One or the other.

Since @leylandvictory2 knows this, it would appear come October board (Thanksgiving), Wilson will be taking over the 52 LAWRENCE WEST (+352 NIGHT and 952 EXPRESS) in exchange for the Mount Dennis operation of the 29 DUFFERIN (+329 NIGHT and 929 EXPRESS). Me thinks some Wilson artics may move over to Mount Dennis.

According to this board's Service Summary, 29 currently operates 24 buses in the morning while the 52 uses 40 buses. This can get ugly for MtD/Wilson operators.

Come to think of it, apart from Old Eglinton in 1999, how long the 29 DUFFERIN has been at Wilson for? I may presume since the yard has been opened.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theicon81 said:

Where would the relief point be for MtD operators? I've heard Dufferin Station but that doesn't seem like a great place?

Dufferin and Lawrence.

At least they won't have 52's blocking a live lane at Jane/Lawrence anymore. It's been a congestion issue since MtD took over the route from Queensway/Wilson. I think WIlson only did peak runs and didn't need much of a relief at Lawrence West.

They were suppose to build bypass lanes at Dufferin/Lawrence but who knows will it ever get done.

20 hours ago, BYD said:

Since @leylandvictory2 knows this, it would appear come October board (Thanksgiving), Wilson will be taking over the 52 LAWRENCE WEST (+352 NIGHT and 952 EXPRESS) in exchange for the Mount Dennis operation of the 29 DUFFERIN (+329 NIGHT and 929 EXPRESS). Me thinks some Wilson artics may move over to Mount Dennis.

According to this board's Service Summary, 29 currently operates 24 buses in the morning while the 52 uses 40 buses. This can get ugly for MtD/Wilson operators.

Come to think of it, apart from Old Eglinton in 1999, how long the 29 DUFFERIN has been at Wilson for? I may presume since the yard has been opened.

if there is a surplus of drivers, some will get moved.  If nobody volunteers to move, the most junior drivers get bump.  

Is the 85 Sheppard East a mistake? He said on Saturdays the local branch will change from artics to standard buses. 85 was never using artics on weekends to begin wtih.