TTC Service Changes

Mike

33 minutes ago, lip said:

Unless they have crews severely expediting construction at Eglinton Station, I dont see that October 9 date happening.

Well none of us know what the Eglinton station LRT platform looks like they could open it without the main entrance being built people can just transfer to the LRT from the existing Eglinton station until the main entrance is built

21 hours ago, Young said:

Well none of us know what the Eglinton station LRT platform looks like they could open it without the main entrance being built people can just transfer to the LRT from the existing Eglinton station until the main entrance is built

Metrolinx did a drive by of the station about a month or two ago, and the work outstanding looked pretty apparent.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:43 PM, Young said:

Yes I believe it’s Eglinton Station that was holding up the completion of the line

The underpinning and the fact they found a bunch of abandoned 1954 infrastructure that had to be removed

On 2/13/2022 at 4:41 PM, lip said:

Metrolinx did a drive by of the station about a month or two ago, and the work outstanding looked pretty apparent.

There is still the real possibility of them opening line 5 sans the connection at Yonge-Eglinton (I refuse to not give it a new name to signify it's transfer station status.) It would certainly be able to safely operate through the station and anyone wanting to transfer here can simply transfer to a bus at Mt Pleasant and Avenue stations until Eglinton opens. There's definitely a few options, as long as the rest of the line reaches a satisfactory completion, it shouldn't be an issue

1 hour ago, lifty4ever said:

The underpinning and the fact they found a bunch of abandoned 1954 infrastructure that had to be removed

There is still the real possibility of them opening line 5 sans the connection at Yonge-Eglinton (I refuse to not give it a new name to signify it's transfer station status.) It would certainly be able to safely operate through the station and anyone wanting to transfer here can simply transfer to a bus at Mt Pleasant and Avenue stations until Eglinton opens. There's definitely a few options, as long as the rest of the line reaches a satisfactory completion, it shouldn't be an issue

Yea or they will probably open Eglinton station and people would have to exit to street level through the existing Eglinton station that could be a possibility if it’s not done by then

2 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

I am skeptical that this solution on the table. The optics of deferring the opening of the line again are not awesome, but opening the line without its most significant transfer point would look much worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T3G said:

I am skeptical that this solution on the table. The optics of deferring the opening of the line again are not awesome, but opening the line without its most significant transfer point would look much worse.

Yup. People will have a bad experience and avoid it. The media will of course add to that too which will taint ML’s reputation

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Novabus photographer said:

Are they still going to shift the line 1 platform at Eglinton station further North? I heard the TTC had plans to do that, but is this still happening? 

The platform extension is largely finished. It will be opened either shortly before, or at the same time as the opening of the Crosstown.

12 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

No, there isn't the possibility of this happening.

Metrolinx had said that wouldn't be an option, and the recent settlement with Crosslinx confirms this.

Dan

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Service Changes for March 27, 2022...

https://stevemunro.ca/2022/03/12/ttc-service-changes-effective-march-27-2022/

No changes to subway, which stinks, the BD is still operating with much less frequent service. Do they still have a subway operator shortage? Hasn't the vaccine mandate ended in Ontario now? Can't they bring those operators back?

51 minutes ago, MK78 said:

No changes to subway, which stinks, the BD is still operating with much less frequent service. Do they still have a subway operator shortage? Hasn't the vaccine mandate ended in Ontario now? Can't they bring those operators back?

Province mandate may be over but the TTC is municipal and if the city of Toronto plans to keep the vaccination policy in place they can.

besides it could also be a shortage due to retirements or any operators on sick leave 

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

BD line during the rush hour is getting ridiculous now.. it turns into like Tokyo after Dundas West or Lansdowne during morning commute..

4-5 min headway during the rush-hour is now considered ridiculous especially more students commuting to campus and many workplaces are now converting to Hybrid at least

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZĂ¼mmyZĂ¼m said:

Province mandate may be over but the TTC is municipal and if the city of Toronto plans to keep the vaccination policy in place they can.

besides it could also be a shortage due to retirements or any operators on sick leave 

Actually the provincial mask mandate is still in place for public transit, long-term care homes, hospitals, and a small handful of other high-risk settings.

2 hours ago, TTC7447 said:

Actually the provincial mask mandate is still in place for public transit, long-term care homes, hospitals, and a small handful of other high-risk settings.

They meant the vaccine mandate. This went into effect last November starting the reduced service that is still in effect on some routes now

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

They meant the vaccine mandate. This went into effect last November starting the reduced service that is still in effect on some routes now

Oh whoops!  I should’ve read the post more carefully.  Thanks for clearing that up ?

• Like 1

Yeah as of March 2nd the city said they are keeping it, with no date provided when or if it will end. What I find really stupid is they consider someone fully vaccinated even if they got the two shots a year ago or just now. No booster had ever been mandated. Its universally understood now that the vaccine protection wears off the longer time goes on, yet these policies don't reflect that at all.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-among-several-municipalities-keeping-mandatory-vaccine-policies-for-employees-1.5802176

On 3/12/2022 at 9:53 AM, MK78 said:

Response from Steve Munro..

He is suspecting that the service may not increase because of the underfunding from both provincial and federal government.. 

I thought the subway service will be the first thing to get back to normal... and this is absolutely ridiculous.. 

Screenshot 2022-03-14 101658.png

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 5:20 PM, bus_7246 said:

New board changes starting May 8 (from Mt Dennis only):

New route:

174 ONTARIO PLACE-EXHIBITION

It appears that this will only be a 1 bus route starting in service at 12 noon, running to midnight. 

Reintroduction of express services:

929 DUFFERIN EXPRESS

This route will resume weekend service on both Saturday and Sunday.

941 KEELE EXPRESS

This route will resume midday service on weekdays.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:54 AM, ttc.transit said:

For other next board changes (May 8th, 2022) 

174 Ontario Place-Exhibition:

Northbound to Exhibition Loop: from Ontario Place bus stop via west and north on Remembrance Drive, east on Lake Shore Boulevard West, north on Strachan Avenue, west onto the streetcar right-of-way to Exhibition Loop.

Southbound to Ontario Place: from Exhibition Loop via east on streetcar right-of-way, south on Strachan Avenue, west on Lake Shore
Boulevard West, south on Ontario Place Boulevard, west on Remembrance Drive to Ontario Place bus stop.

175 Bluffer’s Park:

This route will have a divisional allocation change. It will be transferring from Birchmount to Eglinton Division.

My source is the TTC Service Planning and Scheduling sheet.  

I thought I'd repost these here from the Ride Guide thread as it seemed more appropriate for those who haven't seen it yet.

• Like 2

https://stevemunro.ca/2022/04/12/ttc-ridership-and-financial-update-april-2022/

On Steve Munro’s blog, he gave a spoiler alert for service changes in May.. and yet no subway service improvement for Line 2 Bloor Danforth.

I want to know what the hell is a holdup since the crowding is becoming ridiculous.. I took a subway from St.George to Islington and I couldn’t find a seating room until approaching Jane. The train was packed at least until Runnymede

How about they adjust "service reliability" on the 501 so that riders arent waiting 20 mins before 3 buses show up at once, and there's 5 buses laying over at Long Branch. That would be a great start.

I dont know how stupid this management is that they cant figure out how to operate this route properly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, raptorjays said:

I took a subway from St.George to Islington and I couldn’t find a seating room until approaching Jane. The train was packed at least until Runnymede

This has always been the case on this line even pre-pandemic. In rush hour the train wouldn't properly empty out until Royal York.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, T3G said:

This has always been the case on this line even pre-pandemic. In rush hour the train wouldn't properly empty out until Royal York.

Yeah but ridership is increasing and they are still running Sunday service on weekdays in peak hours.

4 hours ago, T3G said:

Well the ridership has clearly increased compared to a time when they reduced services back in November. Most of the workplaces are converting to at least hybrid now and university students are back in class and commuting.. and yet the TTC is not increasing service level on BD line at all since they significantly reduced in November.