TTC Service Changes

Mike

10 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Who are all these riders that actually needs the 116A loop and the Guildwood stops?

Or are you just saying the 116A provides relief to the 116C? 

The students who use the eastbound/northbound service at Sir Wilfrid Laurier CI, and Jack Miner SPS.  You'd think they don't care, but no, they actually do care and spread out between the 116A and 116C.  I can say this as a former student at that high school.  Not to mention, while school trips may exist westbound/southbound, that extra service that probably comes from returning 116A buses relieves a lot of pressure on other buses.  That TDSB high school offers the IB program, which attracts students from areas beyond the school's regular program boundaries (students came from as far as Thorncliffe in the west, and Ajax in the east).  This high school also offers a wide range of extra curriculars before and after school that are very popular amongst students, so these buses do get quite busy as early 7:30 am, and as late as 6:30 pm.

As mentioned by others, I'd imagine the 116A would be useful at other times for those who are commuting shorter distances from Kennedy Stn.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MRD10 said:

There is a HUGE point to running the 116A. The 905A will skip the Guildwood community and Morningside below Kingston. Forcing everyone who needs to make shorter trips to get on the same route. This would ultimately leave the 116 very crowded below Lawrence/Kingston to practically empty above Ellesmere during peak hours and mid-day service. 

The Guildwood portion of the route is not that busy. The TTC even considered removing 116 service from the area and running it via Kingston Rd a few years ago. Losing 2 buses an hour travelling through there in either direction is not that significant on a route that is part of the 10-minute network.

13 hours ago, MRD10 said:

The 116A always comes before the 116C. This is to "force" riders who need to make the shorter trip onto the shorter route, while the 116C can remain spacious and less congested for those needing to make the longer trip above Ellesmere. 

Well when one branch runs every 20+ minutes and another runs every 10 minutes or less, of course a 116C would come after a 116A. Unless of course one 116A is running extremely late to the point that two of them bunch. I assure you, this is not done to keep the 116C "spacious".

The main purpose of the 116A is to serve the Highland Creek nieghbourhood. Combining it with the 905 will improve that service. 116C service will also improve as service levels will be bumped up by 2-4 minutes throughout the day. At the end of the day, Guildwood is the only portion of the route losing service but it's only bring reduced by a minute or two. This is once again insignificant as the 116C is part of the 10-minute network.

3 hours ago, TTC7447 said:

The students who use the eastbound/northbound service at Sir Wilfrid Laurier CI, and Jack Miner SPS.  You'd think they don't care, but no, they actually do care and spread out between the 116A and 116C.  I can say this as a former student at that high school.  Not to mention, while school trips may exist westbound/southbound, that extra service that probably comes from returning 116A buses relieves a lot of pressure on other buses.  That TDSB high school offers the IB program, which attracts students from areas beyond the school's regular program boundaries (students came from as far as Thorncliffe in the west, and Ajax in the east).  This high school also offers a wide range of extra curriculars before and after school that are very popular amongst students, so these buses do get quite busy as early 7:30 am, and as late as 6:30 pm.

As mentioned by others, I'd imagine the 116A would be useful at other times for those who are commuting shorter distances from Kennedy Stn.

They could still hook those school trips onto other runs in the area.

Service improvement in one area in comes with reduction in another. When the 905 replaced the 116A/E, which by the way only provided unidirectional 116A service at a time, express service to UTSC took longer, this 116A became bidirectional but headway widen. 

Over the years TTC has done changes that screw over a certain group while benefiting others. I don’t think this will change. Some examples in the last decade.

Implementing express routes like the 185/925 express meant much wider headway in between stops.

The 41 changed to artics made the route terrible.

The 59 consolidated to the 59C routing through Culford/Benton meant everyone taking it on the Maple Leaf section have to take this 10min detour during rush hour.

The 52/58 merger plus 952 introduction meant service on the Westway went from 5-8 min to 16-18min throughout the day.

They made this 189 to replace the 71A meant it takes longer to get from Gunns loop to the subway.

RapidTO meant stop removals.

Soon they’ll change the 86D and that’ll bring a lot of disadvantages.

I’m sure your disapproval of this won’t change TTC’s mind. We just have to get used to this.

6 hours ago, TTC7447 said:

The students who use the eastbound/northbound service at Sir Wilfrid Laurier CI, and Jack Miner SPS.  You'd think they don't care, but no, they actually do care and spread out between the 116A and 116C.  I can say this as a former student at that high school. 

Heh, I have been unfortunate enough to get caught in the madness on a 116 bus when both of those schools let out at roughly the same. A number of times, pre-covid of course, packed to the gills, with kids screaming like banshees. It's gotten worse since the "kids under 12 ride free",  meaning half the elementary school piles on without paying, screaming, for sometimes only a few stops to get to Livingston or up to Kingston road, or the other way north on Morningside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2021 at 1:42 PM, TTC7447 said:

Exactly the reason as to why I brought this up. As a current student, I can confirm the route is especially busy at 12:30 to 1:00pm. An odd time, as it is nowhere near the evening rush hour capacity. Keeping the 3 branch system ensures buses aren't running full or empty of passengers at a time. 

On 4/10/2021 at 8:08 PM, MK78 said:

Heh, I have been unfortunate enough to get caught in the madness on a 116 bus when both of those schools let out at roughly the same. A number of times, pre-covid of course, packed to the gills, with kids screaming like banshees. It's gotten worse since the "kids under 12 ride free",  meaning half the elementary school piles on without paying, screaming, for sometimes only a few stops to get to Livingston or up to Kingston road, or the other way north on Morningside.

This is why the 116A is useful. Those going eastbound for a short trip are "forced" to get onto the 116, as I mentioned in an earlier post. Once the bus is empty (at around Ellesmere) it can loop around and return to westbound service, in comparison to a 116C running empty to Finch. I've been on instances when the 116C was filled with students, then was practically empty after Lawrence. I was one of four passengers on a trip once. 

1 hour ago, MRD10 said:

This is why the 116A is useful. Those going eastbound for a short trip are "forced" to get onto the 116, as I mentioned in an earlier post. Once the bus is empty (at around Ellesmere) it can loop around and return to westbound service, in comparison to a 116C running empty to Finch. I've been on instances when the 116C was filled with students, then was practically empty after Lawrence. I was one of four passengers on a trip once. 

Yeah, I agree. I guess that part of service will suffer with this rearrangement.

• 4 weeks later...

Service summary for the May period is out:
https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Service Summary 2021-05.pdf

As it was in the last board, there are a few errors that they need to address:

- The 302 KINGSTON ROAD-McCOWAN BLUE NIGHT is now operated by Malvern Garage instead of Birchmount Garage because the majority of its runs have been originated from 102 MARKHAM ROAD with some from 21 BRIMLEY. Previously, they were originated from 24 VICTORIA PARK.
- Also in the error list is the 312 ST. CLAIR-JUNCTION BLUE NIGHT. The route was switched to Wilson Garage as its runs come from routes 47 and 89 during the day.
- All eight garages (except Lakeshore) now run 300 BLOOR-DANFORTH BLUE NIGHT and McNicoll now has some runs on the 320 YONGE BLUE NIGHT.
- Mount Dennis Garage has some 396 WILSON BLUE NIGHT runs coming from 927 HIGHWAY 27 EXPRESS.

• 3 weeks later...

June/July Service Changes from the TTC Coupler:
http://ttc.ca/Coupler/Editorial/News/00_new_story_3.jsp

Starting on Sunday, June 20, the TTC will be making the following service adjustments:

Major Service Changes

Service adjustments will be made on many routes in response to changing ridership due to the pandemic. Routes with lower ridership will have service levels reduced, and some routes with increasing ridership will have service levels improved. These changes will reflect the new guidelines for planning crowding approved in the 2021 Annual Service Plan.

Service reliability improvements
The program for continuous monitoring and improvement to schedules to better match observed operating conditions will result in new schedules for the following routes:
12 Kingston Rd
17 Birchmount 
25 Don Mills 
35 Jane
41 Keele 
43 Kennedy 
45 Kipling 
49 Bloor West 
85 Sheppard East 
89 Weston 
168 Symington 
935 Jane Express
995 York Mills Express
504 King (Bus)

Construction projects beginning
> Wilson Station Lower construction.
> TTC and City track, water main, and streetscape work on Queen Street West – rolling street closures.
> Donlands Station – Easier Access construction.

Construction projects continuing
> York Mills Station bus terminal closure until September 2021.
> TTC and City construction at King-Queen-Queensway Roncesvalles, until December 2021.
> TTC overhead upgrades along the 501 Queen corridor, until December 2021.
> City road construction on Wellington Street, until September 2021.
> City water main and bridge construction on Cummer Avenue between Bayview and Leslie – 42 Cummer diverted in the westbound direction,

Service changes requiring stop or stop announcement modifications
> Construction changes for 501P Queen terminating at Humber Loop.
> Construction changes for 504Q King extending to Princes’ Gate Loop.
> Donlands Station – Easier Access construction (56 Leaside and 83 Jones).

Among them will be the following renumbering of the routes in anticipation of Line 5 and Line 6 openings in the next two years:

— 5 AVENUE ROAD -> 13 AVENUE ROAD (This was originally planned in September 2016)
— 6 BAY -> 19 BAY 

High Street loop in regular use by the 501P Park Lawn branch, according to Steve Munro's service change update post. I may need to go see this.

Also, I don't know what random branch lettering scheme has resulted in the 501J Long Branch-Broadview routing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ed T. said:

High Street loop in regular use by the 501P Park Lawn branch, according to Steve Munro's service change update post. I may need to go see this.

Also, I don't know what random branch lettering scheme has resulted in the 501J Long Branch-Broadview routing.

A tongue-in-cheek reference to Jilly's at Broadview perhaps?  Why didn't they just go with 501B to match the previous branches (L= Long Branch, M = Marine Parade, N = Neville Park, P = Park Lawn)?  The down-alphabet branch letters seem to imply temporary branches while permanent ones seem to use letters from the beginning of the alphabet.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gil said:

A tongue-in-cheek reference to Jilly's at Broadview perhaps?  Why didn't they just go with 501B to match the previous branches (L= Long Branch, M = Marine Parade, N = Neville Park, P = Park Lawn)?  The down-alphabet branch letters seem to imply temporary branches while permanent ones seem to use letters from the beginning of the alphabet.

J stands for Jarvis, the previous east terminal till it was extended to broadview this period.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ed T. said:

23 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

J stands for Jarvis, the previous east terminal till it was extended to broadview this period.

It's just like the 501P for Park Lawn when it doesn't go to Park Lawn

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have the service summary for June 20 and up?

They did some changes on 12 Kingston and im curious if the buses were reduced... Schedule was off from the usual today and seemed like less buses.

13 hours ago, nfitz said:

There was a significant cut to service on 12 (and many other routes) because of the pandemic.

Details, and the changes, are in Steve Munro's article - https://stevemunro.ca/2021/06/06/ttc-service-changes-effective-june-20-2021/

Ah yeah, that;s what I was looking for, I looked on his site too but I guess I didnt go down far enough... Yeah, they reduced the number of buses significantly, though I'm surprised the AM portion on the 12D stayed at 5 buses, but the PM was reduced to 4 buses.

Oh well I'm still grateful they've kept this branch going during the pandemic, keeps me off the busy 86/116/905 routes and the subway. Just had to readjust my leaving for work in the morning.

• Like 1

TTC has started the 2022 Annual Service Plan https://www.ttcannualplan.ca/, mostly on changes with routes connecting to Line 5 as well as a few routing changes. The changes to some routes are much more aggressive this time. After the last round, there has some new changes to the proposal. The 81/88 routing changes wasn't well received so they are modified again. 81 now goes to Sicence Centre Station while 88 pretty much maintains the current looping with a loop around Laird Station. Route number 18 is still held for Caledonia while the Castlefield route is now 179 and extended to Keelesdale Station instead of Caledonia Station. 58 Trethewey is now 158 Trethewey for whatever reason and is extended up Weston to Knob Hill Dr where the 73D loops. The 13 will be rerouting onto Avenue Rd instead or Oriole Parkway to connect to Avenue Station. The 74 will connect to Eglinton Station instead of using that loop under the building at Eg/Mt Pleasant. The 162 Lawrence-Donway will no longer loop on the Donway but instead terminate at Science Centre Station. An interesting proposal is the 332/334 will be somewhat merge with 2 branches that overlaps Line 5. This is similar to how the 300 operates. 334A Pearson to Kennedy and 334B Mt Dennis Station to Finch and Neilson. 

The toolkit PDF has all the changes listed without having to checkbox each route on the online survey: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5f31983105399b71d5495df1/t/60d597f42d735a64c8953397/1624610808602/2022+Annual+Service+Plan+Engagement+Toolkit.pdf

Here I'll document the changes before they take it down after the survey:

13 Avenue Road

This route will be adjusted to serve between Chaplin Crescent and Eglinton Avenue West to connect to the new Avenue Station on Line 5. Service will be removed from Oriole Parkway between Chaplin Crescent and Eglinton Avenue West. The route will continue to serve Eglinton Station to provide a direct connection to Line 1 for residents in the Yonge-Eglinton and Yonge-St Clair neighbourhoods.

13.thumb.png.a99a9e0730d7e4e20702fc01b52c3c62.png NOTE: I edited this map since to indicate the mistake on the survey. The description is correct, the 13 currently travels up Oriole Parkway to Eglinton missing Avenue Road Station.

18 Caledonia

This will be a new route replacing the northern portion of the current 47 Lansdowne. The 18 Caledonia will serve Caledonia Road from the new Caledonia Station on Line 5 to Yorkdale Station on Line 1. Two branches will operate on this route: 18A via Bridgeland Avenue, and 18B via Orfus Road. By separating the 18 Caledonia from the 47 Lansdowne, customers can expect more reliable service on the route, and service levels better tailored to ridership demand. Customers travelling through Eglinton will have to transfer to 47 Lansdowne at Caledonia Station.

18.thumb.png.4b9d6b4b8d8e6c6e801f35e0d814bfcc.png

27 Jane South

This will be a new route replacing the southern portion of the current 35 Jane. The 27 Jane South will serve Jane Street from the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5 to Jane Station on Line 2. By separating the 27 Jane South from the 35 Jane, customers can expect more reliable service on the route, and service levels better tailored to ridership demand. Customers that are travelling through Eglinton Avenue can still make use of 935 Jane Express.

27.thumb.png.8ece742d9bf2b6c3d235b9cb185a4365.png

32 Eglinton West

This route will terminate at the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5, providing bus service west to Renforth Station. Customers can expect to transfer onto Line 5 to continue travelling on Eglinton Avenue. The many branches that currently operate under 32 Eglinton West will become unique routes serving different stations on Line 5. Bus service east of Mount Dennis Station will be operated as 34 Eglinton.

32.thumb.png.f2a59422d4a0cf777e04572997ef8448.png

34 Eglinton

This route will be adjusted to serve parallel the below-grade portion of Line 5, from Mount Dennis Station to Science Centre Station, serving all surface transit stops on the corridor. The purpose of 34 Eglinton is to provide local transit access to the portion of Line 5 where station spacing is wider than TTC coverage standards. The 34 Eglinton will not serve east of Science Centre Station on the at-grade portion of Line 5 as stop spacing on this portion is within TTC coverage standards.

34.thumb.png.e0b44bd6f531e982ef687485ff4c22ba.png

35 Jane

This route will be adjusted to terminate at the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5, providing customers on Jane north of Eglinton with a direct connection to new rapid transit. By shortening the 35 Jane to Eglinton Avenue, customers can expect more reliable service on the route, and service levels better tailored to ridership demand. Customers that are travelling through Eglinton Avenue can still make use of 935 Jane Express.

35.thumb.png.039e63c917460221da08267a2ec3587d.png

47 Lansdowne

This route will be adjusted to terminate at the new Caledonia Station on Line 5, with service north of Eglinton Avenue replaced by 18 Caledonia. The short-turn branch terminating at St Clair will also be eliminated, so that all services on 47 Lansdowne will run end to end, from Caledonia Station to Queen Street. Customers north of St Clair can expect higher service levels than today, and also greater service reliability as the route is shortened. Customers travelling through Eglinton will have to transfer to 18 Caledonia at Caledonia Station.

47.thumb.png.27e2e27145359d32c472dfc633eb176e.png

51 Leslie

The 56 Leaside will be cancelled and replaced by an extended 51 Leslie to Donlands Station. With the introduction of Line 5 on Eglinton Avenue, the current routings on Eglinton by 51 Leslie and 56 Leaside will be made redundant. Customers currently travelling along Eglinton via 51 and 56 should expect to transfer at Sunnybrook Park Station or Laird Station. A short-turn branch from Donlands Station to Laird Station (51B) will operate during peak periods to provide additional service south of Eglinton Avenue.

51.thumb.png.d82553004c74490123aac758e0260363.png

54 Lawrence East

This route will be adjusted to terminate at the new Science Centre Station on Line 5. With the introduction of Line 5 on Eglinton Avenue, the current routing on Eglinton by 54 Lawrence East will be made redundant. Customers currently travelling along Eglinton via 54 should expect to transfer at Science Centre Station. Additionally, service will be routed via Don Mills Road instead of Leslie Street.

54.thumb.png.bc39b49c9c9128774ff6b1993f446ab4.png

71 Runnymede

This route will be adjusted to divert into the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5 in both directions, to connect the Mount Dennis and Rockcliffe-Smythe neighbourhoods, as well as TTC’s Mount Dennis Bus Division, to the new rapid transit. This route will continue to operate to Runnymede Station on Line 2.

71.thumb.png.2c85c506cd24ad070c0dd790f3e40113.png

74 Mt Pleasant

With the completion of Line 5, the 74 Mt Pleasant will no longer serve north of Eglinton Avenue, and will instead terminate at Eglinton Station. Service north of Eglinton Avenue will be covered by 103 Mt Pleasant North. This route will provide a direct connection to Line 1 and Line 5 (at Mount Pleasant Station) from the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood.

74.thumb.png.99e5d045858d681dc1ab6eef3ea51d7b.png

81 Thorncliffe Park

This route will be extended to the new Science Centre Station on Line 5, via Overlea Boulevard, Gateway Boulevard, and Don Mills Road. The 81 Thorncliffe Park will better serve customers in Thorncliffe Park, connecting them to destinations in the Flemingdon Park neighbourhood, such as shopping, schools, libraries, and parks. This proposal was adjusted based on community consultation in 2019, when members of the community provided feedback on the local destinations they wanted access to.

81.thumb.png.fed289285ec42346d6baa0cf72c3ad96.png

88 South Leaside

Previously, the TTC had planned to consolidate all services on 88 South Leaside to terminate at Laird, but feedback received from community consultation in 2019 showed that the proposal did not suit the needs of transit customers in the area. Instead, 88 South Leaside will be adjusted to serve the new Laird Station on-route, but will continue to operate in a circular loop through the Leaside and Thorncliffe Park neighbourhoods.

88.thumb.png.24bb9bb978965816e221e42e9828cf2e.png

89 Weston

This route will be adjusted to serve the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5 in both directions, connecting customers on Weston Road to the new rapid transit. Service will continue to operate from Keele Station on Line 2 to Albion Road. Also see 989 Weston Express.

89.thumb.png.b475020c2b864cbb64b53442f8fe06c6.png

100 Flemingdon Park

This route will be adjusted to serve the new Science Centre Station on Line 5. Prior to Line 5 construction, 100 Flemingdon Park operated via Eglinton Avenue. With the completion of Line 5, 100 Flemingdon Park will not return to Eglinton Avenue, as Line 5 will make bus service redundant. Customers can expect to continue to transfer to Eglinton Avenue services at Wynford Station or Science Centre Station. Two branches will operate on this route: 100A via Grenoble Drive, and 100B via Linkwood Lane.

100.thumb.png.ee718503d6c1ca38b32402a67b08297b.png

103 Mt Pleasant North

This route will be reintroduced with the completion of Line 5, serving Mount Pleasant Road north of Eglinton Avenue, from Eglinton Station to Doncliffe Loop. This route will provide direct connection from the Lawrence Park neighbourhood to Line 1 and Line 5. Customers travelling through Eglinton will have to transfer to 74 Mt Pleasant at Mount Pleasant Station.

103.thumb.png.d515175165b182ef0a0a156e1938af3f.png

158 Trethewey

This will be a new route replacing the current 32C Eglinton West branch when Line 5 is open. The 158 Trethewey will serve the new Keelesdale Station on Line 5, via Trethewey Drive. Instead of terminating at Lawrence Avenue as the 32C does today, the route will be extended northward via Weston Road to Knob Hill Drive, providing more transit options to the Weston neighbourhood and connecting the neighbourhoods along Trethewey Drive to new shopping destinations.

158.thumb.png.1d39cfafacfb4d8bed07a2f99ab910b6.png

161 Rogers Rd

This route will be adjusted to terminate at the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5, via Black Creek Drive. This change will provide direct connection to rapid transit for customers in the Keelesdale and Caledonia neighbourhoods. Route 161 Rogers Rd will no longer serve Alliance Avenue, which will be replaced by an adjusted 171 Mt Dennis. Customers travelling along Rogers Road to Alliance Avenue will have to transfer to 171 Mt Dennis.

161.thumb.png.3c23d7ecd7fc4025a82d809cd71dfae8.png

162 Lawrence-Donway

This route will be adjusted to terminate at the new Science Centre Station on Line 5. This route will no longer loop via The Donway north of Lawrence Avenue and east of Don Mills Road. Customers on The Donway should expect to walk to Don Mills Road or Lawrence Avenue for transit service. Instead, two-way service will operate via Overland Drive and Barber Greene Road, and extend via Don Mills Road to Line 5 to connect customers directly to new rapid transit service.
162.thumb.png.420a45b74dcd8268d3dd6d6a55b9faa5.png

168 Symington

This route will be adjusted to terminate at the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5. The route will be extended via Weston Road and Black Creek Drive, and will no longer serve Avon Loop (Weston Road & Rogers Road bus loop).

168.thumb.png.5abfddb03ab60f7018b6b629172ad4b5.png

170 Emmett

This will be a new route replacing the current 32D Eglinton West branch when Line 5 is open. The 170 Emmett will serve the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5, via Eglinton Avenue and Emmett Avenue. Customers who are currently travelling east of Mount Dennis Station will need to transfer to Line 5 to continue their journey when the line opens.

170.thumb.png.7b4c01d24d50664022d400234c96b846.png

171 Mt Dennis

This route will be adjusted to serve the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5. Additionally, 171 Mt Dennis will no longer serve Jane Street and Trethewey Drive. Instead, the route will be extended to Jane Street and Alliance Avenue to provide coverage on a previous portion of 161 Rogers Rd. The 171 Mt Dennis will directly connect customers on Alliance Avenue to new rapid transit service.

171.thumb.png.3b8f1cbdd5497e07c8078cc4e6d111f4.png

179 Castlefield

This will be a new route operating on streets not currently served by transit directly, connecting Cedarvale Station and Keelesdale Station via Castlefield Avenue. This route will provide new service to employment uses along Castlefield Avenue, while also serving some medium-density housing on Roselawn Avenue, connecting these new customers directly to Line 1 and Line 5.

179.thumb.png.34bef4ef24fdef370159edeb5f0deb69.png

334 Eglinton Blue Night

This will be a new route replacing the current 332 Eglinton West and 334 Eglinton East Blue Night routes. Two branches will operate on this route: 334A from Pearson Airport to Kennedy Station via Eglinton, and 334B from Mount Dennis Station to Finch and Neilson via Kingston Road and Morningside. This route will be the primary option for customers during the overnight period along the Eglinton corridor. Existing customers travelling through Yonge Street today will no longer be required to transfer between 332 and 334, unless travelling beyond Mt Dennis and Kennedy Stations.

334.thumb.png.e4f5f063ce61ee26be6d7fca1ae9314f.png

935 Jane Express

This route will be adjusted to serve the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5. The 935 Jane Express will divert via Eglinton Avenue both ways to serve the new rapid transit station. This express service will be the primary option for customers travelling on Jane Street through Eglinton Avenue, as the local service will no longer be continuous through Eglinton. Also see 27 Jane South and 35 Jane.

935.thumb.png.5ef5eb9eb97d97290967191221836c59.png

954 Lawrence East Express

This route will be extended to the new Science Centre Station on Line 5, via Lawrence Avenue and Don Mills Road. Express service will be extended from Lawrence East Station to provide customers west of Line 3 with new express service and connections to Line 5. Also see 54 Lawrence East.

954.thumb.png.6f2318bbe0b9e0937d4b4e5d9baf6b04.png

989 Weston Express

This route will be adjusted to serve the new Mount Dennis Station on Line 5 in both directions. The route will be rerouted to Black Creek Drive to provide quicker access to the new terminal. Service will continue to operate from Keele Station to Steeles Avenue. Also see 89 Weston.

989.thumb.png.a51500a7e9e3d5c6f4a45c629aff3635.png

Other suggested changes:

8 Broadview – Extension to Coxwell Station

Service will be removed between Lankin Blvd and Plains Rd. The route will continue to operate from Broadview Station via Broadview Avenue, O’Connor Drive, with a new connection to Coxwell Station via Coxwell Avenue. This will improve capacity on Coxwell Avenue and provide residents with another connection to Line 2.

8.thumb.png.daaac243676180c050934dd1b60216dc.png

65 Parliament - Extension to Dockside Drive 

The 65 Parliament will be extended to Dockside Drive via Queens Quay. This route extension will provide new service from Parliament Street to George Brown College and Queens Quay East, providing another connection from Line 2 to the lake. The 65 would no longer serve its current terminal looping around the St Lawrence neighbourhood, but is still within walking distance to customers on The Esplanade.

65.thumb.png.4a4e3bdc1abc749b94ca7f2bf004bf0c.png

118 Thistle Down - Extension to Claireport Crescent 

The 118 Thistledown will be extended to Claireport Crescent via Albion Road during peaks. This route will provide a direct connection from Albion Road to Line 1 at Wilson Station, while also improving service levels along Albion Road to encourage local transit rides in the Rexdale neighbourhood.

118.thumb.gif.be4f2654dc793b4bc0665879acd301a9.gif

172 Cherry Beach - New service along the eastern waterfront to Cherry Beach 

The 172 Cherry Beach will operate from Union Station to Cherry Beach. With the planned service extension to the 121 Fort York-Esplanade route onto River Street, the seasonal service to Cherry Beach will become a standalone route connecting Union Station to Cherry Beach via the Distillery District. This route will only operate in the summer, connecting all destinations along the eastern waterfront.

172.thumb.gif.0524fc6dbba9e721dfad1c6fdf3a9f63.gif

150 Eastern - New service on Eastern Avenue

The 150 Eastern Ave will operate new local service between Woodbine Loop (Kingston Road and Queen Street) and King and University, via Eastern Avenue and the King Street Transit Priority Corridor. This route will serve new residential and employment developments along Eastern Avenue and high density development in the Corktown Commons neighbourhood, connecting these areas directly to the downtown core.

150.thumb.gif.21498d6c3ead3c6df8a5715240127066.gif

The survey feedback deadline is Friday, July 16, 2021.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just reading through the book of proposed changes linked. Here are a few that I will give my opinion on:

Jane corridor (27/35/935): It does help by dividing the demand and feeding into the nearest rapid transit station. With 935 Jane Express being the continuous transfer free ride except looping into Mount Dennis until the Eglinton Crosstown West extension is built. Not sure if they will operate the 935 Jane Express with expanded hours of operations to match the subway for those who prefer not to switch buses if starting at Jane or Pioneer Village and the final destination just after Eglinton. 

Lawrence East (54/954): I do like how the 954 Lawrence East Express will be extended to operate from Lawrence East Station (Scarborough RT) to Science Centre. Reducing the distance required to reach the express bus. Hopefully add some limited stops to service the major transfer points to minimize the amount of time spent at stops. The 54 Lawrence East to Starspray is a pretty long route which feeding it into a nearby transfer point other than the Scarborough RT is beneficial. 

Eglinton Blue Night: Merging the two routes 332 Eglinton West and 334 Eglinton East is handy for crosstown travel. Currently only the 300A Bloor-Danforth provides crosstown travel, but for those proceeding to beyond Warden and Danforth would have to change buses between West Mall and Warden/Danforth to a 300B Bloor-Danforth to Kennedy. The 334A Eglinton Blue Night to Kennedy from Pearson avoids the need of switching buses at Yonge. This is along with doubling up of service between Kennedy and Mount Dennis along with covering a longer geography stretch. 

Final comments:

A pretty massive overhaul to adjusting bus routes into the feeder stations for Line 5 Eglinton. Reducing the amount of distance some routes travel and better accommodating demand. 

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

172 Cherry Beach - New service along the eastern waterfront to Cherry Beach 

The 172 Cherry Beach will operate from Union Station to Cherry Beach. With the planned service extension to the 121 Fort York-Esplanade route onto River Street, the seasonal service to Cherry Beach will become a standalone route connecting Union Station to Cherry Beach via the Distillery District. This route will only operate in the summer, connecting all destinations along the eastern waterfront.

172.thumb.gif.0524fc6dbba9e721dfad1c6fdf3a9f63.gif

150 Eastern - New service on Eastern Avenue

The 150 Eastern Ave will operate new local service between Woodbine Loop (Kingston Road and Queen Street) and King and University, via Eastern Avenue and the King Street Transit Priority Corridor. This route will serve new residential and employment developments along Eastern Avenue and high density development in the Corktown Commons neighbourhood, connecting these areas directly to the downtown core.

150.thumb.gif.21498d6c3ead3c6df8a5715240127066.gif

The survey feedback deadline is Friday, July 16, 2021.

I'm guessing these changes will be concurrent with the restructured 121 FORT YORK-ESPLANADE meaning it won't happen until next year?  Or are they waiting until the end of summer service to Cherry Beach to at least implement it?  I know people who are eager for the revised service to begin but are frustrated by the lack of details as to when it will be happening other than a vague 2021 which is now half over.

The Waterfront Toronto meeting on the Waterfront East LRT alluded to potential service up Church St. once it gets extended south through the rail embankment.  It is conceptual as per the disclaimer in the image, but I think another connection to the eastern waterfront shouldn't be missed.  Theoretically, they could either/or add service on Jarvis as well if they're trying to create a finer grained transit network downtown in light of all of the development going on.

210621_slide57_polsonroutephase1.jpg?w=1024

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gil said:

I'm guessing these changes will be concurrent with the restructured 121 FORT YORK-ESPLANADE meaning it won't happen until next year?  Or are they waiting until the end of summer service to Cherry Beach to at least implement it?  I know people who are eager for the revised service to begin but are frustrated by the lack of details as to when it will be happening other than a vague 2021 which is now half over.

The Waterfront Toronto meeting on the Waterfront East LRT alluded to potential service up Church St. once it gets extended south through the rail embankment.  It is conceptual as per the disclaimer in the image, but I think another connection to the eastern waterfront shouldn't be missed.  Theoretically, they could either/or add service on Jarvis as well if they're trying to create a finer grained transit network downtown in light of all of the development going on.

210621_slide57_polsonroutephase1.jpg?w=1024

Those changes are approved for this year. TTC usually implements new additions in the fall when people get back to school after the summer holiday season. We should see those new express those new express routes (938, 943 and 968), a new route to Stanley Greene neighbourhood, this 121 routing changes as well as the Scarborough East reorganization. 

http://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2020/December_15/Reports/Decisions/2049_9_2021_Annual_Service_Plan_Decision.pdf

The 172 won't reappear till next year so my guess is the 121 will stay the way it is till the 121 to Cherry Beach ends. The recommendations for all these changes won't reach the board till the end of the year. If approved, they will take 4 months to implement. Just in time for May 2022. I sent my comments in for the 172, they should loop around Union the same way as the 72B. All southbound service to the waterfront east should be at one bus stop (19, 72B and 172), not diagonally across the intersection. They either don't realize reality (which is probably true) or they really don't want the regular 19/72B riders taking the 172.

Those are some pretty big changes, but i guess it was inevitable with Line 5.

None of them really affect me in any way, but I do like the new service on Eastern Avenue. Would have been cool if they had combined it with the 31 Greenwood, which would have provided a connection to the BD line.