TTC Service Changes

Mike

6 hours ago, MK78 said:

I saw a 131E this afternoon as well.

Do they have to be manually programmed or is it some sort of wireless system that the bus updates when it pulls in the garage?

All signs get an updated master list uploaded by hand via USB. But there is a new unique format for the new ‘express network’ routes

5 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

too bad the signs cannot be updated using wifi or automatic system update.  it will be a lot easier

Not at your division they can’t.

-Yet.

6 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

All signs get an updated master list uploaded by hand via USB. But there is a new unique format for the new ‘express network’ routes

That will end when they iron out the kinks with the vision uploading....which should be the day before I retire.

While we're on the topic of VISION, is there any kind of functionality that allows for the destination signs to be changed automatically after arriving at the end of the line, rather than requiring the driver to? Feel like that would be helpful.

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

While we're on the topic of VISION, is there any kind of functionality that allows for the destination signs to be changed automatically after arriving at the end of the line, rather than requiring the driver to? Feel like that would be helpful.

It already does that. I remember a 60B at Finch Station pulling up to the platform, the sign automatically changing "Not In Service" at first, then reverting back to the 60B sign.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Yes, that is integrated into the VISION functionality. The system can even remotely change it mid-route if necessary.

Dan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

It already does that. I remember a 60B at Finch Station pulling up to the platform, the sign automatically changing "Not In Service" at first, then reverting back to the 60B sign.

Hmm, that might explain why a 143 zoomed past me yesterday, while I was waiting to board it, with a not-in-service sign, but clearly with many passengers on it (but still some empty seats).

Downtown the 143 location that's reported always goes wonky, with all the tall buildings. Perhaps that is creating automatic havoc with the signage?

5 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Hmm, that might explain why a 143 zoomed past me yesterday, while I was waiting to board it, with a not-in-service sign, but clearly with many passengers on it (but still some empty seats).

Downtown the 143 location that's reported always goes wonky, with all the tall buildings. Perhaps that is creating automatic havoc with the signage?

That was most likely done by the operator. Vision installation hasn’t commenced yet at Birchmount

1 hour ago, bus_7246 said:

That was most likely done by the operator. Vision installation hasn’t commenced yet at Birchmount

I couldn't think of any reason an operator would purposefully do that though - particularly closer to the route origin than the destination.

23 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I couldn't think of any reason an operator would purposefully do that though - particularly closer to the route origin than the destination.

The driver probably had tunnel vision when that must’ve happened. Also it depends on the time that you were trying to get the bus too...?

Speaking of Express, with the 45E, 53E/F, 86E, and 186 slated to give the 900-series designation, this leaves out the 112E WEST MALL EXPRESS, which operates two trips, the only route with the "E" designation. Couldn't the TTC re-designate the 112E into the 912 WEST MALL EXPRESS instead? This leaves out a couple of school trippers (e.g. 12E).

Even though the 112 WEST MALL route history on Transit Toronto says "Service on the 112E branch is limited to just two morning peak period trips. Afternoon express trips are no longer operated.", there are two SB trips leaving Michael Power/St. Joseph H.S. at 2:40pm and 2:45pm.

However, with the case of 48 RATHBURN leaving the same period as the 112E using the 48A in the afternoon, two trips also leave the school at 7:54am and 8:18am since the first two 48A trips in the AM run from Royal York Stn. at 7:32am and 7:56am to Renforth/Eringate. At Silverthorn Collegiate Institute, one 48 RATHBURN bus leaves there at 3:17pm in a single trip EB.

6 hours ago, nfitz said:

6:14 pm according to my camera. It the 5th of 7 runs that day.

Looks like a short turn though. I seen some buses carrying NIS signs before an operator goes on a layover at the station or deadheading back to the garage after finishing the trips.

10 hours ago, smallspy said:

Yes, that is integrated into the VISION functionality. The system can even remotely change it mid-route if necessary.

Dan

Ottawa has the Luminator controls integrated into CleverDevices, and while it seems to generally be OK and will change signs mid-route, it isn't without issues. One major downtown origin point was a frequent cause of problems, as the system would not see the vehicle as being on-route and setup the sign correctly until the vehicle had passed the stop. While an issue at this particular stop for quite a while, it can happen sporadically across the system. Drivers are trained to check and change the signs through the CleverDevices TCH, so some don't look at the Luminator anymore to confirm they are signed up correctly. This will almost certainly be an issue in Toronto as well, and while some bugs get ironed out in time, others will continue to pop up here and there. You'll also see deadheading buses displaying route destinations, because the bus was redirected and the system thinks the vehicle is on a route where it isn't.

• Thanks 1

What information do the VISION computers use to update stop information? Is it based on where the GPS reports the bus as being (like the current stop announcements), or is it integrated with whatever schedule data has been fed to the system?

• 2 weeks later...

https://stevemunro.ca/2018/12/10/ttc-service-changes-effective-january-6-2019/

Highlights:

Conversion of the 45E to 945, 53E/F to 953, and 86E to 986

The ALRVs will no longer be scheduled as anything more than 501 trippers

The 503 will be converted to buses and revert to its Church-Wellington-York looping

The 510A Spadina will have its recovery point revised to the south end of Spadina instead of either terminal (why??)

The 512 will resume running out of Roncesvalles (first example of a Flexity operating out of somewhere that's not Leslie?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

The 510A Spadina will have its recovery point revised to the south end of Spadina instead of either terminal (why??)

Presumably so that steetcars aren't stacked up waiting for cars pausing at Spadina or Union to clear.

That was, as I understand it, one of the reasons for the 504 split. They can lay over at Dufferin and Distillery loops, instead of creating backups on Broadview or Dundas by laying over at the stations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

The 512 will resume running out of Roncesvalles (first example of a Flexity operating out of somewhere that's not Leslie?)

The 510A relocation of the recovery point at the south end is so that they don’t hold up the 509 Harbourfront cars by taking their time at Union. This is disliked by operators and passengers alike on the 509 cars.

If the 512 is so, this is to relieve the strain on Leslie Barns for service and allocation. I would assume that there will be a mixed usage of the functioning carhouse (a portion of the carhouse is still under construction). Repairs/decommissioning would continue on the legacy fleet alongside minor repairs with the low floors

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

https://stevemunro.ca/2018/12/10/ttc-service-changes-effective-january-6-2019/

Highlights:

Conversion of the 45E to 945, 53E/F to 953, and 86E to 986

The 984 branch will be renumbered the 984B.

Also, these are the 903 destination signs as some of the buses are finally programmed: 903 KENNEDY STN EXPRESS and 903 SCARBOROUGH CTR EXPRESS. I saw a few of them this morning.

With parts of York University Busway may be redundant and the whole thing may soon to be useless, I wonder if the TTC may axe the 939B branch in favor of launching the 906/936 FINCH WEST EXPRESS running from Finch Stn to Finch West Stn with an extension to Humber College. Otherwise, keep it the way it is but have it overlapping the 939B. 

Could it be possible an express service on Finch Ave W. west of Keele despite Line 6 FINCH WEST construction is just years away?

3 hours ago, Shemar said:

The 984 branch will be renumbered the 984B.

Also, these are the 903 destination signs as some of the buses are finally programmed: 903 KENNEDY STN EXPRESS and 903 SCARBOROUGH CTR EXPRESS. I saw a few of them this morning.

Same here. Bus #1540 has one now.

3 hours ago, BYD said:

With parts of York University Busway may be redundant and the whole thing may soon to be useless, I wonder if the TTC may axe the 939B branch in favor of launching the 906/936 FINCH WEST EXPRESS running from Finch Stn to Finch West Stn with an extension to Humber College. Otherwise, keep it the way it is but have it overlapping the 939B. 

Could it be possible an express service on Finch Ave W. west of Keele despite Line 6 FINCH WEST construction is just years away?

Same here. Bus #1540 has one now.

It will be stuck in traffic and drawing lines on the map usually don't get anywhere. The enhanced express service dating from the Rob Ford subway plan didn't fly at all. Demand on the 36 is usually on local stops meaning people won't be able to board a 906/936 route since they are starting and ending on stops between intersections.

12 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

So the 86E to 986 conversion is posted, and is completely identical to 86E in operation, with no changes to the standard or express branches... Some were predicting this would have to be adjusted by the brains at the TTC, hence why it wasnt done when the 905 Scarborough East Express was renamed from the 198 UofT rocket, which uses the same Kennedy Station platform.

Now it appears it's not the case, and yet I wonder why it wasn't done at the same time when they changed all the stickers on the bus stops.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:27 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

I really hope this isn't meant to be a service cut by reducing the number of buses by claiming an artic would serve the same capacity but they will instead dispatch a regular 40 ft bus.

There are clearly a huge reduction of headways when they swap a 40ft bus running at 14-15 min with and artic running 20-21 minutes during some periods of operation. They should be ashamed for doing such a thing. 15 minute wait is doable but 20 minutes isn't exactly acceptable. People would just take the 85+129/199 or 21 (if it shows up) since it will be faster than waiting 20 minutes for the damn 985A.

Do you think TTC will change the 985's frequency to every 15 min. at most? I agree, 20 min. is ridiculous for an express.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:48 PM, MK78 said:

So the 86E to 986 conversion is posted, and is completely identical to 86E in operation, with no changes to the standard or express branches... Some were predicting this would have to be adjusted by the brains at the TTC, hence why it wasnt done when the 905 Scarborough East Express was renamed from the 198 UofT rocket, which uses the same Kennedy Station platform.

Now it appears it's not the case, and yet I wonder why it wasn't done at the same time when they changed all the stickers on the bus stops.

Also on its mind is the 986 has never implemented stops on Brimley, McCowan and Kingston just like the 905 does. I'd rather see it operating bi-direction (in the morning - 986 EB/86C WB and in the afternoon 86C EB/986 WB).