TTC Service Changes

Mike

10 hours ago, BYD said:

The irony and irony... So I read on the Facebook group that there is some possible route changes coming by either September board or the next.

- 21 BRIMLEY: Bir>Mal
- 94 WELLESLEY: MtD>Bir
- 102 MARKHAM RD: Mal>Bir (not possible, but they just expanded the yard earlier this year. @Bus_Medic will not be happy if he sees this.)

Can anyone like @leylandvictory2 confirm or deny the changes?

As of right now, I can confirm - 21 BRIMLEY: Bir>Mal and  102 MARKHAM RD: Mal>Bir are true.  Contrary to popular belief, It has nothing to do with the fact that Malvern bus drivers kept on taking out the right hand side mirrors on 102 Markham Road :O.  I don't recall killer poles on Markham Road except the tight roadway at Warden Station.  |As long as you set up right, you won't clip the mirror especially you are going straight.  The management want to balance out the fleet.  

New Routes coming September:

190 will be renamed to 985 Shephard Avenue East Express. As of right now, It will run from Monday to Friday. 

902 Markham Road Express (starts on September 2) and 913 Progress express.

It seems the Progress express only runs on weekdays. First day of service will be on Sept 4.

My source only provided information from the east end.  There may be more new routes.  Thats all i have at the moment.  

2 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

As of right now, I can confirm - 21 BRIMLEY: Bir>Mal and  102 MARKHAM RD: Mal>Bir are true.  Contrary to popular belief, It has nothing to do with the fact that Malvern bus drivers kept on taking out the right hand side mirrors on 102 Markham Road :o.  I don't recall killer poles on Markham Road except the tight roadway at Warden Station.  |As long as you set up right, you won't clip the mirror especially you are going straight.  The management want to balance out the fleet.  

190 will be renamed to 985 Shephard Avenue East Express. As of right now, It will run from Monday to Friday. 

It seems the Progress express only runs on weekdays. First day of service will be on Sept 4.

My source only provided information from the east end.  There may be more new routes.  Thats all i have at the moment.  

If they're renumbering 190, I assume all of the 18x/19x Rocket routes will get renumbered.

Why are they using the 900 series, when the 200 series is free and clear... *mumbles about kids needing to get off my lawn*

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Articulated said:

If they're renumbering 190, I assume all of the 18x/19x Rocket routes will get renumbered.

Why are they using the 900 series, when the 200 series is free and clear... *mumbles about kids needing to get off my lawn*

If they want to renumber the whole Rocket routes, I complied the list:

• 185 DON MILLS ROCKET > 925 DON MILLS EXPRESS
  • 186 WILSON ROCKET > 996 WILSON EXPRESS
  • 188 KIPLING SOUTH ROCKET > 944 KIPLING SOUTH EXPRESS
  • 190 SCARBOROUGH CENTRE ROCKET > 985 SHEPPARD EAST EXPRESS
  • 191 HIGHWAY 27 ROCKET > 991 HIGHWAY 27 EXPRESS
  • 192 AIRPORT ROCKET > 992 AIRPORT EXPRESS
  • 193 EXHIBITION ROCKET > 993 EXHIBITION EXPRESS
  • 195 JANE ROCKET > 935 JANE EXPRESS
  • 198 UofT SCARBOROUGH ROCKET > 934 EGLINTON EAST EXPRESS (might as well merge the 198 and 86E into a single route)
  • 199 FINCH ROCKET > 939 FINCH EXPRESS

But I'm getting the feeling TTC seems to retire the "Rocket" branding. But then again, I also compiled the list of routes what it will look like if most of the express routes are split off as its own routes:

• 24E VICTORIA PARK EXPRESS > 924 VICTORIA PARK EXPRESS
  • 41E KEELE EXPRESS > 941 KEELE EXPRESS
  • 45E KIPLING EXPRESS > 945 KIPLING EXPRESS
  • 53E/F STEELES EAST EXPRESS > 953 STEELES EAST EXPRESS
  • 54E LAWRENCE EAST EXPRESS > 954 LAWRENCE EAST EXPRESS
  • 60E STEELES WEST EXPRESS > 960 STEELES WEST EXPRESS
  • 84E SHEPPARD WEST EXPRESS > 984 SHEPPARD WEST EXPRESS
  • 86E SCARBOROUGH EXPRESS > 934 EGLINTON EAST EXPRESS (see above)
  • 95E YORK MILLS EXPRESS > 995 YORK MILLS EXPRESS
  • 131E NUGGET EXPRESS > 921 BRIMLEY EXPRESS (131 cuts back to Scarborough Centre at all times, but in doubt)
3 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

As of right now, I can confirm - 21 BRIMLEY: Bir>Mal and  102 MARKHAM RD: Mal>Bir are true.  Contrary to popular belief, It has nothing to do with the fact that Malvern bus drivers kept on taking out the right hand side mirrors on 102 Markham Road :o.  I don't recall killer poles on Markham Road except the tight roadway at Warden Station.  |As long as you set up right, you won't clip the mirror especially you are going straight.  The management want to balance out the fleet.  

IDK, will the new 985 retain the 190's existing hours? If so, the 985 should be like this:

- 985A Don Mills Stn-Scarborough Centre Stn via Midland (all times until 1:00am)

- 985B Don Mills Stn-Meadowvale (M-F peak periods only)

In the event the 985 will operate during rush hours only with the discontinuation of the 190, the TTC may have to resurrect the former 85G SHEPPARD EAST (eastbound to Scarborough Centre Stn via Brimley) to make up the loss of connections between Fairview Mall and STC.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:56 AM, BYD said:

The irony and irony... So I read on the Facebook group that there is some possible route changes coming by either September board or the next.

- 21 BRIMLEY: Bir>Mal
- 94 WELLESLEY: MtD>Bir
- 102 MARKHAM RD: Mal>Bir (not possible, but they just expanded the yard earlier this year. @Bus_Medic will not be happy if he sees this.)

Can anyone like @leylandvictory2 confirm or deny the changes?

What’s the point of all these route movements? 94 and 102 switched garages only a few months ago. But now there going to there original garages. 21 went to Birchmount in 2011 iirc

23 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

no idea.  This is like asking why the management used 116B even though that branches doesn't even touch Morningside.  I know the reason but I don't want to get in trouble.  

As far as I know, before 116B was publicly shown on signage, maps, etc. there were two runs that were scheduled internally as 116B during AM peak period. They would loop using the "Eglinton triangle" just north of the Eglinton & Kingston Rd intersection in addition to the 34 branch running to Kingston Rd. Looking back, the branch seams to have started in the October 2011 board period. I can't remember if they used 116S or 86S when heading eastbound. They couldn't use the 34 signage since they didn't loop via Kingston Rd and Markham Rd.

12 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

I doubt ttc will rename the routes for no apparent reason.  last time the changed the 34C route to Flemingdon created a huge confusion. To this day, some people still believe 34C still goes to Kennedy station.

I think signage is partially to blame. When 34C was changed to 34 with the major branch letter changes in 2014, since the TTC doesn't delete old signs many drivers continued using the 34C exposure right up to when they reprogrammed it for the Flemingdon Park branch. This would obviously confuse riders if one day 34C is taking you to Kennedy and the next day it is making a left onto Don Mills Rd to get to Wynford.

1 hour ago, TTCBusfan21 said:

What’s the point of all these route movements? 94 and 102 switched garages only a few months ago. But now there going to there original garages. 21 went to Birchmount in 2011 iirc

The (temporary) shuffling was done because Bmount needed to free up some routes to have buses to operate the 505 and 506 shuttles. It would cost more for Malvern to provide vehicles for downtown routes. With these shuffles, it's likely busitution will end on the 505/506 soon.

25 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The (temporary) shuffling was done because Bmount needed to free up some routes to have buses to operate the 505 and 506 shuttles. It would cost more for Malvern to provide vehicles for downtown routes. With these shuffles, it's likely busitution will end on the 505/506 soon.

Oh that makes sense! I didn’t think of that. Thanks!

11 hours ago, wil9402 said:

I think signage is partially to blame. When 34C was changed to 34 with the major branch letter changes in 2014, since the TTC doesn't delete old signs many drivers continued using the 34C exposure right up to when they reprogrammed it for the Flemingdon Park branch. This would obviously confuse riders if one day 34C is taking you to Kennedy and the next day it is making a left onto Don Mills Rd to get to Wynford.

Until all of this work, I certainly can't recall seeing any Eglinton East buses showing 34C signs for quite a long time. After the huge renumbering and renaming of 2014 for a couple of months, sure. But not afterwards.

Dan

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Until all of this work, I certainly can't recall seeing any Eglinton East buses showing 34C signs for quite a long time. After the huge renumbering and renaming of 2014 for a couple of months, sure. But not afterwards.

Dan

I remember seeing drivers use it right up to the point when they reprogrammed the 34C for Flemingdon Park. It wasn't used as widespread as it was for the first few months after the branch letter change but the odd driver or two would still use it.

11 hours ago, wil9402 said:

I remember seeing drivers use it right up to the point when they reprogrammed the 34C for Flemingdon Park. It wasn't used as widespread as it was for the first few months after the branch letter change but the odd driver or two would still use it.

Yes and I wonder why TTC didn't take it out in 2014 when they discontinued branch letters on the 34. Clearly none of those in management have seen ops doing this commonly. The should just called it 34D and none of this confusion would happened. 

Of course if this was the 94C Wellesley to Queen's Park, there would be no confusion as the current 94C has a longer routing than the old 94C to Wellesley Station.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Steve Munro’s lastest report, “in September, there will be a new trial service 123F Sherway to the West Mall employment area. (Note that route 123 Shorncliffe will be renamed to reflect the route’s primary destination.)”

Steve Munro has posted a blog regarding the 900 series express bus network. Yes they'll change everything and 900 as I expected would be the Airport Express making it easier to remember. https://stevemunro.ca/2018/07/25/ttc-launches-the-900-express-bus-network/

PS: some route numbers are different some would think (kids don't assume and make up fake info please)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Steve Munro has posted a blog regarding the 900 series express bus network. Yes they'll change everything and 900 as I expected would be the Airport Express making it easier to remember. https://stevemunro.ca/2018/07/25/ttc-launches-the-900-express-bus-network/

PS: some route numbers are different some would think (kids don't assume and make up fake info please)

Steve Munro is a reliable source.  The management has changed the 905 name to scarborugh east express instead of eglinton east express.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Steve Munro is a reliable source.  The management has changed the 905 name to scarborugh east express instead of eglinton east express.

Speaking of which, the 12 KINGSTON ROAD is being extended eastward... again - but this time to UTSC as the 12D which will begin operation after Thanksgiving (October board). Many may remember the last time the 12 was extended when the 12C replaced the former 114 before disappearing in 1999 I@Downsview 108 will remember this part).  

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

What I'd really like to see is Planning start to use Presto data in their justifications for routes adds and changes. I know the data has been ramping up slowly but as two hour transfers etc. come in there will be a stronger take up and the Presto component should start to become significant. While the data isn't as good as tap on / tap off, it should provide some visibility into origin-destination pairs as well as demand at certain times of day which may not be reflected in current TTC counting abilities.

The TTC's new express bus network will start in the fall with phase 1 to be in effect September 2:

902 Markham Road Express (New)

913 Progress Express (New)

937 Islington Express (New)

984 Sheppard West Express (Replaces 84E Sheppard West)

985 Sheppard East Express (Replaces 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket)

905 Scarborough East Express (Replaces 198 UTSC Rocket)

925 Don Mills Express (Replaces 185 Don Mills Rocket)

927 Highway 27 Express (Replaces 191 Highway 27 Rocket)

935 Jane Express (Replaces 195 Jane Rocket)

939 Finch Express (Replaces 199 Finch Rocket)

954 Lawrence East Express (Replaces 54E Lawrence East)

960 Steeles West Express (Replaces 60E Steeles West)

Phase 2 effective October 7:

929 Dufferin Express (New)

952 Lawrence West Express (New)

989 Weston Express (New)

924 Victoria Park Express (Replaces 24E Victoria Park)

Future Changes:

900 Airport Express (Replaces 192 Airport Rocket)

903 Kennedy-Scarborough Centre Express (Replaces 131E Nugget)

941 Keele Express (Replaces 41E Keele)

944 Kipling South Express (Replaces 188 Kipling South Rocket)

945 Kipling Express (Replaces 45E Kipling)

953 Steeles East Express (Replaces 53E/53F Steeles East)

986 Scarborough Express (Replaces 86E Scarborough)

993 Exhibition Express [seasonal] (Replaces 193 Exhibition Rocket)

995 York Mills Express (Replaces 95E York Mills)

996 Wilson Express (Replaces 186 Wilson Rocket)

• Like 1

July 27, 2018

Tomorrow, Sat., July 28, Toronto Mayor John Tory, TTC Chair Josh Colle and Scarborough councillors Gary Crawford (Ward 36 Scarborough Southwest) and Paul Ainslie (Ward 43 Scarborough East) will announce a new continuous Kingston Road service beginning Oct. 9 and other transit improvements for Scarborough.

The new service will run every 25-30 minutes between Victoria Park Station and the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus weekdays during morning and afternoon rush hours only (6  - 9 a.m. and 3 - 7 p.m.).

Date: Sat., July 28, 2018.
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Who: Join Mayor John Tory, TTC Chair Josh Colle and councillors Crawford and Ainslie.
Location: Southwest corner of Kingston and Markham Rds. (Plaza parking lot)

This new service is the result of a long-standing request from the local councillors and residents to see continuous transit service along Kingston Road to improve local connectivity and support new development in the corridor. This service will operate as a pilot for one year, and will be assessed and fine tuned during that time.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 1:53 PM, 0=0 said:

Because i like starting rumors... The "Rocket" was taken out because somebody complained to the commission that it was offensive/inappropriate.

Ride the rocket