TTC Service Changes

Mike

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Maybe they'll find a way to turn MtD and Bmount into a carhouse!

Not again. The investment isn't worth it to create a combined bus garage/carhouse, especially the need to lay at least 4+ km of extra tracks.

Well, perhaps Hillcrest could be made into one ... if they have the space for it.

50 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Not again. The investment isn't worth it to create a combined bus garage/carhouse, especially the need to lay at least 4+ km of extra tracks.

Well, perhaps Hillcrest could be made into one ... if they have the space for it.

Did you not get that it was a joke?

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

On april's board period the following changes will happen

35 jane to arrow

107 to arrow

94 to mount dennis

168 to mount dennis

63 to wilson.

Couldn't they transfer the 10 and 169 to Malvern along with the remaining 95 rush hour runs too? I was surprise to see Arrow getting six JANE PM buses back from Mt. Dennis. I wonder what will Birchmount will get in return...

On 2/3/2018 at 11:45 PM, Transit geek said:

On 2/4/2018 at 12:36 AM, Kelvin3157 said:

Did you not get that it was a joke?

Make Birchmount Loop Great Again!

birchmount-loop-aerial.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Big changes for April:
https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/20180401servicechanges_v6.pdf

The routes, as mentioned above, will also add 95 YORK MILLS, which will see the entire route being operated by Malvern instead of Wilson since they lost some of the afternoon runs over the years. 

Also included is the cancellation of the late evening weekend service on the 169 HUNTINGWOOD. This may have to suck since the 10 VAN HORNE provided service on Van Horne Ave. the last time when the 169 was cut.

169 hunting wood was also cancelled for weekend service when it was 139. Then it was brought back. And now it's cancelled again? 

Surprised that there isn't a lot of weekend ridership considering it passes through a lot of residential areas. 

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

169 hunting wood was also cancelled for weekend service when it was 139. Then it was brought back. And now it's cancelled again? 

Surprised that there isn't a lot of weekend ridership considering it passes through a lot of residential areas. 

Yes, but i'm under the impression riders favour north/south routes to connect at Finch and Sheppard.

11 hours ago, Shaun said:

I'm not. It doesn't take 30 min to wait to walk from Huntingwood to either north/south routes, Sheppard or Finch, It's faster to take another bus. It's too infrequent to attract any riders plus it doesn't run through a low income neighbourhood where people must take transit. Same goes for the 5 and 73B.

The thirty minute wait makes the 169 too infrequent. The north-south routes are far more frequent (especially Victoria Park and Kennedy) and none are long walks. The only area that would have a decent walk is on Commander, but very few people are using it on Sunday late evenings.

I wonder why they didn't bother with adding the 10 at this time though. Sure the ridership would be low but it can easily be serviced by a single bus.

28 minutes ago, patrickst said:

The thirty minute wait makes the 169 too infrequent. The north-south routes are far more frequent (especially Victoria Park and Kennedy) and none are long walks. The only area that would have a decent walk is on Commander, but very few people are using it on Sunday late evenings.

I wonder why they didn't bother with adding the 10 at this time though. Sure the ridership would be low but it can easily be serviced by a single bus.

TTC always misses things like these. No one double checks to ensure service gaps weren't create with new changes. It can be intentional that they remove service on Van Horne too or they just missed it.

When they introduced the 121 along with the modified 72B branch, service started at 6am instead of 5am creating a full hour service gap on Pape and Carlaw. They they realize it till people were complaining about it.

On 06/03/2018 at 11:33 AM, patrickst said:

I live along 10 and 169 and I have very strong knowledge about the route. I utilize 169A Huntingwood at all times of the day, even late night.

169B Huntingwood is a popular route operating 20-30 minute frequencies at full seating capacity by Victoria Park westbound in the AM, and in both directions in the PM.

Off-peak, 169A Huntingwood operates to replace 10 Van Horne. During this time, most of the riders, including myself board and disembark on Van Horne Avenue. It is used to connect Van Horne passengers with Scarborough.

Van Horne Avenue gets 90% of passengers along the whole round the clock, even late evenings, while Huntingwood recieves approximately 10% of the ridership.

Cutting weekend late evening on Huntingwood Dr makes sense. Cutting Van Horne weekend late evening however is a bit of a concern.

On 06/03/2018 at 12:02 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

TTC always misses things like these. No one double checks to ensure service gaps weren't create with new changes. It can be intentional that they remove service on Van Horne too or they just missed it.

When they introduced the 121 along with the modified 72B branch, service started at 6am instead of 5am creating a full hour service gap on Pape and Carlaw. They they realize it till people were complaining about it.

I hope this is the case, though I don't see that many people on Van Horne Avenue would actually directly complain to TTC.

169 Huntingwood originally got all day everyday service as part of the RGS in 2008; this was the same time the 169A branch was created to merge off-peak service with route 10. The Huntingwood portion of the route lost its late evening service in 2011 as part of the Ford/Stintz era cuts. Around 10pm, two of the 169A buses ran into the garage, but one stayed out operating on route 10. The garage assignments also made this interesting, as 169 was operated by Eglinton at the time (so rush hour service on route 10 was provided by Wilson buses, and late evening service by Eglinton buses). If the TTC wanted to continue service on Van Horne, a similar arrangement could return.

I've ridden the 169 late at night a few times. The stops on Commander can be quite busy at certain times of night, as some of the factories on that road have a shift change around midnight. Unfortunately it looks like the workers will have a long walk out to McCowan - or they may start driving instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Locations along Huntingwood Dr and Commander Blvd are already very close to existing TTC routes with all day, everyday service. Walking would not be a major hassle to the demographics of the riders.

5 minutes ago, blue said:

Locations along Huntingwood Dr and Commander Blvd are already very close to existing TTC routes with all day, everyday service. Walking would not be a major hassle to the demographics of the riders.

“Major hassle to the demographic”?

-let them eat cake, then?

Truer words were never written- from mom’s basement.?

53 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

“Major hassle to the demographic”?

-let them eat cake, then?

Truer words were never written- from mom’s basement.?

What I meant was that there aren't much wheelchair users along Huntingwood, let alone riders. People can walk, and plus, Huntingwood is a fairly safe community. Walking will not be a problem when this route gets cut. 

14 hours ago, blue said:

What I meant was that there aren't much wheelchair users along Huntingwood, let alone riders. People can walk, and plus, Huntingwood is a fairly safe community. Walking will not be a problem when this route gets cut. 

Yeah, in a perfect world, every rider that used the 169 at that time would "just walk", that's obviously not realistic. Just because "people can walk" doesn't mean they will... Try putting yourself into the shoes of a "transit rider" instead of "transit enthusiast". It's 11pm, middle of January, -20, i've just missed the bus, "am I going to wait for the next one?", "am I going to go a different route?". At a certain point, people would consider alternatives than "just walking to a different bus stop". Cabs, Uber, not going at all, etc, I know I would.

31 minutes ago, blue said:

If they can easily consider alternatives, then this isn't much of a loss at all

You're not getting it.

About 70% of people who take the TTC on a daily basis have access to a car. That means that 70% of those people can easily consider an alternative.

Therefore you need to make transit convenient for them. There's lots of ways of doing that - bringing transit closer to them is one way.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Worth noting is that the Huntingwood route runs in a similar environment to the western section of the 42 Cummer route - on a two-lane residential street with bike lanes. If the buses don't have trouble handling Cummer - especially the gradients between Bayview and Leslie, why not Huntingwood?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Worth noting is that the Huntingwood route runs in a similar environment to the western section of the 42 Cummer route - on a two-lane residential street with bike lanes. If the buses don't have trouble handling Cummer - especially the gradients between Bayview and Leslie, why not Huntingwood?

Why on earth do you think that the cuts to the 169 are coming because of the physical geography of the land? :blink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1