TTC Service Changes

Mike

I think the TTC is putting alt of faith into the York U busway being the main route between the university and the subway. The removal of the 60F branch could be a means of forcing people onto the 196. Local options still remain otherwise it's a trudge up to Keele and Steeles or a transfer to catch the new 60E.

Is the 60C being stopped too or just the 60F?

A quick google search of the cached Service Changes site revealed this:

Service Changes

69 Warden South

New accessible service - New accessible service will be operated on this route, using low-floor buses.

It's been low floor ever since the Classics were retired back in February, man are they slow.

A new premium express route (probably to make up for the loss the the current ones come September) will begin.

You referring to the midtown routes that were to become regular fare this fall? I understand that has been delayed (possibly due to budget reasons).

You referring to the midtown routes that were to become regular fare this fall? I understand that has been delayed (possibly due to budget reasons).

Yeah, those are the routes. I had mentioned a few posts back that the regular fare would be deferred to next year. No reason was given for the deferral, at least not yet.

Stops on the new 60E:

60E Steeles eastbound: Stops at Kipling Loop, Islington, Weston, Signet, Peter Kaiser, Jane, Keele, Dufferin (farside), Hidden Trail, New Westminster, Bathurst (farside), Village Gate, Hilda, Tangreen, Yonge & Steeles, and Finch Station only.

60E Steeles westbound: Stops at Finch Station, Steeles & Yonge (farside), 100 Steeles Ave, Hilda, Village Gate, Bathurst, Carpenter, New Westminster, Conley, Dufferin, Keele, Jane, Adesso, Signet, Weston, Islington, and Kipling Loop only.

Seems to me like this service "improvement" will make service worse for most people since:

1. Service on the current 60F/E branches will become every 7.5 minutes instead of every 6m20s (so longer wait)

2. Rush hour customers on the current 60E/F branches will now be subjected to extra stops along Yonge (so longer trip times for most customers).

3. Location of stops of the 60E is kind of odd east of Dufferin. For example, Carpenter is a very busy stop eastbound, but there is no stop there for the new 60E.

All in all, I am not looking forward to the new crappier service on the 60 this October.

Seems to me like this service "improvement" will make service worse for most people since:

2. Rush hour customers on the current 60E/F branches will now be subjected to extra stops along Yonge (so longer trip times for most customers).

All in all, I am not looking forward to the new crappier service on the 60 this October.

I am pleased with this change as there are way too many stops along Steeles.

Where does it say there will be extra stops along Yonge? It say Finch station then Yonge and Steeles.

I am pleased with this change as there are way too many stops along Steeles.
Are you a daily user of the 60? I use the route on weekdays to go to/from work and both of the stops that I could use to board the bus will have less service with this change. Both of those stops always have a crowd of at least 10-15 people waiting for the bus.
Where does it say there will be extra stops along Yonge? It say Finch station then Yonge and Steeles.
The current 60E/F branches will be converted to local 60C/D buses and so will make all stops on Yonge St between Steeles and Finch Station. The new 60E to Kipling will indeed have no stops on Yonge.

1. Service on the current 60F/E branches will become every 7.5 minutes instead of every 6m20s (so longer wait)

3. Location of stops of the 60E is kind of odd east of Dufferin. For example, Carpenter is a very busy stop eastbound, but there is no stop there for the new 60E.

I do agree and Disagree about this change. First off the Express portion only on Yonge St while the rest was local service was ok when it first started in April 1991 but with the ever rising traffic on Steeles Ave and Yonge St it's pretty much pointless. An Express service is needed not just on Yonge St but for most of Steeles Ave West. So having a 60C/D Combined service between Keele and Finch Stn is not really a bad idea with a 60E branch doing an Express run. The proposed stops that was planned I have to disagree on with some of it. I'd make the stops as follows from Finch Stn, Yonge/Steeles, Hilda, Bathurst, New Westminister, Dufferin, Alness, Keele and Founders then Local to Kipling which west of Founders 60E will help out with 60D local service.

The current 60E/F branches will be converted to local 60C/D buses and so will make all stops on Yonge St between Steeles and Finch Station. The new 60E to Kipling will indeed have no stops on Yonge.

I am actually surprised about Carpenter myself... it's a very busy stop with a lot of passengers connecting from 7 Bathurst.

I think they will retain current "express-on-steeles-during-rush-hour" policy for all branches.

We'll have to wait till Oct to find out for sure.

Are you a daily user of the 60? I use the route on weekdays to go to/from work and both of the stops that I could use to board the bus will have less service with this change. Both of those stops always have a crowd of at least 10-15 people waiting for the bus.The current 60E/F branches will be converted to local 60C/D buses and so will make all stops on Yonge St between Steeles and Finch Station. The new 60E to Kipling will indeed have no stops on Yonge.

I use the 60 three days a week, while the other two I use YRT.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the board at Roncy and Russell were posted yesterday (Thursday) and the 501 split is definitley happening . . . and lookes very interesting to say the least!

Here's the run down:

-The split will be: -Neville Pk-Shaw/Dufferin, Long Branch-Parliment/Broadview, Humber-Parliment/Broadview.

-The split will be in effect Monday-Friday 24 HOURS. . yes that includes the 301 service! ( The split will not be operated on weekends/Holidays-essentially 5am sat till 459a mon)

-Headway will be: ev 7-8 min from Neville during most of the day, ev. 12-13 min on each Long Branch and Humber branches, blended together on the common part of the rt (Dufferin-Parliment) to be ev. 3-4 min, a very slight improvement over the current scheduled service ev. 5-6.(ev. 6-7 min Humber-Dufferin)

-43 cars will be required for this service; 28 from Roncy and 15 from Russell.

-Roncy will operate all westend service and Russell will operate all Neville Pk service.

-run numbers 0-49 to Roncy (0-19 for Long Branch cars, 20 and up for Humber), 50+ for Russell cars.

For rt. 301, the westend car will pass thru Dufferin eb a few minutes before the Neville cars to accommidate connecting passengers and vica versa at Broadview for wb connections.

Looks fine on paper, be very interesting to see if it works in practice! :P

In addition to this, the rt. 511 will be diverting bothways via King/Spadina/Queens Quay due to the Bremner Blvd. hook up to Bathurst.

Rt. 512 is still just going between the St. Clair W and St. Clair Stations.

If it means they can shave off running time or layovers at each end, it may be a net reduction of cars. I just don't know what the current round trip ime is now.

current run time long branch-neville is 95 min in pm rush. Now, I beleive there are 38 cars on-line during pm rush + 2 or 3 SAC(Service Adjustment Crew) cars. In retrospect, 40 cars are needed for Sat. service, with more frequent service to long branch on sat. afternoon than thru the week!

Well, the board at Roncy and Russell were posted yesterday (Thursday) and the 501 split is definitley happening . . . and lookes very interesting to say the least!

Here's the run down:

-The split will be: -Neville Pk-Shaw/Dufferin, Long Branch-Parliment/Broadview, Humber-Parliment/Broadview.

-The split will be in effect Monday-Friday 24 HOURS. . yes that includes the 301 service! ( The split will not be operated on weekends/Holidays-essentially 5am sat till 459a mon)

-Headway will be: ev 7-8 min from Neville during most of the day, ev. 12-13 min on each Long Branch and Humber branches, blended together on the common part of the rt (Dufferin-Parliment) to be ev. 3-4 min, a very slight improvement over the current scheduled service ev. 5-6.(ev. 6-7 min Humber-Dufferin)

-43 cars will be required for this service; 28 from Roncy and 15 from Russell.

-Roncy will operate all westend service and Russell will operate all Neville Pk service.

-run numbers 0-49 to Roncy (0-19 for Long Branch cars, 20 and up for Humber), 50+ for Russell cars.

For rt. 301, the westend car will pass thru Dufferin eb a few minutes before the Neville cars to accommidate connecting passengers and vica versa at Broadview for wb connections.

Looks fine on paper, be very interesting to see if it works in practice! :P

In addition to this, the rt. 511 will be diverting bothways via King/Spadina/Queens Quay due to the Bremner Blvd. hook up to Bathurst.

Rt. 512 is still just going between the St. Clair W and St. Clair Stations.

hmm, it looks like as usual those of us in the Long Branch area get screwed as usual, I guaruntee that uit wont be every 12-13 minutes, I've seen myself wait 45 minutes for a darn car out at Long Branch DURING THE DAYTIME! I'll keep my thoughts to myself for now about this change, I'm going to give the 501 another chance, I'd given up dealing with it or depending on it since the time last fall when I waited 45 minutes and was late for a very importent job interview, because of the crap 501, I've gotten used to using the 123/45/110/76/66 to get down to the Lakeshore, I love riding the streetcars, much more than the subway, but I got sick of the crap... It may take a bit longer walking from those routes, but at least I KNOW I'm gonna get there....