Toronto Harbour Spurs

Shaun: here is an overhead view of the particular area of the port: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&a...mp;t=h&z=18

For the record, this was CP's former Toronto Container Terminal. I don't know if they still use it as such, although I do recall seening 89 foot long container-bearing flatcars there as recently as 3 years ago.

Joe: yes, those are BHP-spec low clearance SD70ACE's. Previous orders had been shipped by CN to Halifax, although I don't know what the rationale was for transloading them here.

Dan

Shaun: here is an overhead view of the particular area of the port: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&a...mp;t=h&z=18

For the record, this was CP's former Toronto Container Terminal. I don't know if they still use it as such, although I do recall seening 89 foot long container-bearing flatcars there as recently as 3 years ago.

Joe: yes, those are BHP-spec low clearance SD70ACE's. Previous orders had been shipped by CN to Halifax, although I don't know what the rationale was for transloading them here.

Dan

I heard the reason that these shipments sometimes go through Toronto, is so the Ship can make two revenue generating trips carrying cargo to and from Canada.

I have seen the Occasional container going in and out on trucks, who knows how long those tracks will last with all the redevelopment around the area.

Dan

Sometimes the ship comes into the great lakes to ship cargo to Canada so it makes since to load in Toronto then Halifax .

Sometimes the ship comes into the great lakes to ship cargo to Canada so it makes since to load in Toronto then Halifax .

Interesting. I didnt know that we had a container port. I wonder with higher fuel prices it would be feasible to have a container port for ships to carry them locally (within the great lakes). It may be faster than doing it by rail?

It looks like there is a ramp of some kind?

Interesting. I didnt know that we had a container port. I wonder with higher fuel prices it would be feasible to have a container port for ships to carry them locally (within the great lakes). It may be faster than doing it by rail?

Only if they fit into the Seaway. And I'd be willing to bet that most of the modern ocean-going container ships don't fit. (Look up "seaway-max" on wikipedia)

It looks like there is a ramp of some kind?

For the ill-fated ferry to Rochester.

Dan

• 7 months later...

"There is an oversize rail load currently in transit from Babcock + Wilcox in Cambridge, ON to Toronto Harbour for transhipment. Some sort of boiler or similar, reportedly about 600 Tons. Just wondering if anyone knows what vessel it will be loaded on to, and what its eta is for Toronto Harbour? Thanks Paul"

I found this info on another website and was wondering if anyone knows anymore?

"There is an oversize rail load currently in transit from Babcock + Wilcox in Cambridge, ON to Toronto Harbour for transhipment. Some sort of boiler or similar, reportedly about 600 Tons. Just wondering if anyone knows what vessel it will be loaded on to, and what its eta is for Toronto Harbour? Thanks Paul"

I found this info on another website and was wondering if anyone knows anymore?

It should be sitting in Guelph at the moment, waiting on a special GEXR move to Mac Yard. Might have already moved though.

Someone managed to catch the move from Cambridge to Guelph:

It should be sitting in Guelph at the moment, waiting on a special GEXR move to Mac Yard. Might have already moved though.

Someone managed to catch the move from Cambridge to Guelph:

If it's going to Mac Yard, does that mean it will still come to the Toronto Harbour? Any indication as to when?

If it's going to Mac Yard, does that mean it will still come to the Toronto Harbour? Any indication as to when?

Yes. GEXR will bring it to Mac, and chances are CN will run a special move with it to the harbour (or Mimico for forwarding to the harbour).

It was supposedly going Sunday, but that got canned. Maybe it'll move once the boat shows up at the port.

Excellent. Do know which area of the port it would go to? Would it be the same one where EMD engines are loaded onto ships?

Donno, sounds like a good bet.

does anyone know what CN sub it will be using to bring it down to the Harbour? maybe the newmarket sub?

Probably the Bala, or maybe even down the Weston.

Excellent. Do know which area of the port it would go to? Would it be the same one where EMD engines are loaded onto ships?

That is the only active spur track, for shore to ship loading.

This would be a day move, I take it? Thanks for the info "DD".

Most likely a day move since it's a dimensional load and care must be taken moving it. Doesn't rule out early morning or evening though. I'm thinking they'll take it down when there isn't much rail traffic, say hold it at Mac until a weekend (but it's a railway so nothing is for sure).

Your welcome. :)

That is the only active spur track, for shore to ship loading.

This would be a day move, I take it? Thanks for the info "DD".

I passed bye it yesterday...doesn't look like it's active. But i did see some workers doing something to the switches the other day. Perhaps getting it ready for the move?

Can someone explain why CP owns and operates the tracks? The Union station corridor and all the surrounding tracks around it are owned and operated by CN...why is the harbor run by CP?

Can someone explain why CP owns and operates the tracks? The Union station corridor and all the surrounding tracks around it are owned and operated by CN...why is the harbor run by CP?

Neither CP nor CN own either the harbour trackage or the USRC.

Dan

I passed bye it yesterday...doesn't look like it's active. But i did see some workers doing something to the switches the other day. Perhaps getting it ready for the move?

GO Transit owns the USRC now while the TTR maintains and operates it with TMD's (Train Movement Directors) directing train movements through out the interlocking, the Toronto Harbour Commission Spur is owned and maintained by the TTR for such movements as to serving whatever customers are left down around the harbour front.

Mike is right in that TTR no longer owns the USRC - but they no longer maintain it either. Maintenance is now performed by PNR Railworks as of this past April. TMD's are now GO Transit employees, as I understand it.

The Harbour trackage is owned by the Harbour Commission. I have no idea who maintains it, although they may contract to CN, CP or someone else.

For the record CN and CP still own their respective parts of TTR, who recently won the contract to operate and maintain a grain terminal/facility in Vancouver Harbour.

Dan

Mike is right in that TTR no longer owns the USRC - but they no longer maintain it either. Maintenance is now performed by PNR Railworks as of this past April. TMD's are now GO Transit employees, as I understand it.

The Harbour trackage is owned by the Harbour Commission. I have no idea who maintains it, although they may contract to CN, CP or someone else.

For the record CN and CP still own their respective parts of TTR, who recently won the contract to operate and maintain a grain terminal/facility in Vancouver Harbour.

Dan

So back to my question...why does CP have rights to run the harbour and not CN? Wouldn't it just be easier if CN did it since they run most of the trackage in the area?

So back to my question...why does CP have rights to run the harbour and not CN? Wouldn't it just be easier if CN did it since they run most of the trackage in the area?

They both have rights on the trackage. In years past, CN serviced during the day and CP during the night, but it may now be the other way around.

Dan

They both have rights on the trackage. In years past, CN serviced during the day and CP during the night, but it may now be the other way around.

Dan

Saw some workers checking the crossing at Lakeshore Blvd today as well as doing work on the switch to make sure everything was working.