Toronto Harbour Spurs

Allandale25

If you look at the comments for this Youtube video on the dimensional load, they say it is a

It's some sort of boiler/turbine assembly, being shipped from the Babcock & Wilcox plant in Cambridge to Crystal River Nuclear Power Plant 3 in Florida.

In the last picture. I haven't seen trains pass here in long time. To bad I missed it. someone told me they don't run trains there. Hopefully one day I will see one pass there. I saw it once a few years ago, alot of people walking beside the train, down by Lakeshore & Lesile Sts

Incorrect information. CN still switches the two remaining customers down there, plus dimensional movements for the Port.

I'm not sure if it's feasable for the trackage to be abandoned since it would cut off access to the Port for shipping large loads by boat.

• 2 weeks later...
Another dimensional extra is just about to leave Snider for the Toronto Port Authority with a Bobcox & Wilcox D9R load today. Heads Up !

Did this load make it down to the Harbour yet? Or, will they wait till the weekend. I see the "jumbo Vision", has arrived in Toronto to load these components. (assumption)

Did this load make it down to the Harbour yet? Or, will they wait till the weekend. I see the "jumbo Vision", has arrived in Toronto to load these components. (assumption)

Delivered directly to the TPA this past Sunday, both generators will be loaded onto the Jumbo Vision sometime this week along with the flats and van.

• 6 months later...

I see the switch at Parliament and Lakeshore blvd E. was recently removed (sometime between 2008 and 2009). This track has long since been paved over. It also, appeared that the short disconnected track that ran to the LCBO, has also recently been dug up.

I see the switch at Parliament and Lakeshore blvd E. was recently removed (sometime between 2008 and 2009). This track has long since been paved over. It also, appeared that the short disconnected track that ran to the LCBO, has also recently been dug up.

I think those tracks were removed in the past 6 months. They were there last year.

• 1 month later...
I was biking yesterday along the Toronto Waterfront and noticed that the tracks to the Redpath building had been ripped up. I also took a few pictures of the switches along Basin Street which I read somewhere are the only ones in Toronto which are in the same style as TTC streetcar switches - they are in the pavement. Sadly, this section of track is no longer in use as a new film studio has cut access to the mainline.

I exepect to see more changes in the portlands as Waterfront Toronto begins to revitalize the area.

I worked briefly in 1973 as a CN yardman, before joining CP later that year. I worked a job one day that took us down Basin street. One of the switches I 'threw' in the street lead to Continental Cans plant. I vaguely recall them, so seeing a photo of one, even in disuse, revived a few memories for me. Thanks for posting them.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Will that lower don yard still be needed after the work for Union Station is complete? I'm talking about the one just below where the GO East Don Yard is. Not the one after you cross the bridge over the Don River.

Probably not. However, I've always felt that if the TRHA is serious about rail excursions at some point in the future, they should look into what it would take to keep that yard intact.

• 6 years later...

The new Canada Post sorting facility will remove the spur track that served the City's waste treatment plant at Ashbridge's Bay. From the March 15, 2018 staff report:

Site and Surrounding Area The 5.16-acre (2.1-hectare) site is located at the southwest corner of Commissioners Street and Leslie Street. The property is currently vacant and the Port Lands rail spur runs through the site for the transporting of goods. This track will need to be removed and relocated. Various industrial uses surround the site to the north, east, west, and south.

12 hours ago, smallspy said:

It does say "...removed and relocated...". Thus the water treatment plant will continue to be rail serviced.

Dan

Could I ask, what do the trains ship in and out of the water treatment facility? Is it just stuff like chemicals and the like, or other materials.

-Charlie

10 hours ago, Charlie said:

Could I ask, what do the trains ship in and out of the water treatment facility? Is it just stuff like chemicals and the like, or other materials.

-Charlie

They ship in chemicals used in the water purification process.

They did intend to ship out the fertilizer pellets made from the processed biowaste, but other than a couple of boxcar loads years ago I don't know if this has ever been a regular occurrence.

Dan

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Many, many apologies for the three year bump but, I thought I would include some photographs I captured during the final run of CN L543 on Portlands trackage.

Three railfans and I were there to witness the somber occasion. We later remarked how strange it was how the the girder bridge over the Don River was replaced,

despite the port lead being severed south of Don Yard later in the year. RIP the ports spur...

11.thumb.png.a1cc8e604662f7d17c2daae72925dbe3.png22.thumb.png.38fd68fbaab27431879381bf957e5648.png777.thumb.png.b0b4e31b47632bb6fe5ce5638dc14762.png55.thumb.png.7c84fd69f38c4b9e3516527843a047ca.png

66.thumb.png.b409314d15c6980daf666a03375e1f83.png77.thumb.png.f20775d6d21d033c503456dda036550d.png88.thumb.png.bf02f1ec0b1aa982a832dc01ad62debd.png1010.thumb.png.af7527c56b0e0ffc7e1e5aba0adc1f32.png

-C

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

At today's Port Lands Flood Protection & Lake Shore Boulevard East Public Meeting, there were some images shown of the reconfigured Lake Shore Blvd E. It appears that the rail spur ROW is being protected for. Some quick screenshots I got below. I believe the full deck will be posted here soon: 

https://portlandsto.ca/august-2021-public-information-centre/

1.png

2.png

3.png

• 4 months later...

The sewage treatment plant gets chlorine delivered by rail. So that's probably at least one reason to keep it in place. 

Maybe GO tran storage is another reason?

It would be good to be able to use the port to deliver large loads and transport them by rail, but I don't know if that's part of the plan. 

• 3 months later...