Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
A. Wong

BC Ferries

257 posts in this topic

BC Ferries has update the plan for the New Minor 44-car vessels which will be no LNG operations; but with some battery operations. Also BC Ferries update the routes that we could see the Salish Raven on:

http://www.bcferries.com/files/AboutBCF/foi/Minor_Class_Vessels_-_Rt_18_and_25_Application_to_the_BC_Ferries_Commissioner.pdf

1.  The first one will replace the North Island Princess on the Powell River - Texada Island.
  2.  Second vessel would put Quadra Queen II on standby moving the Quinitsa.
  3.  Quinitsa would replace the Howe Sound Queen on Crofton - Vesuvius Bay.
  4. Since the Crofton - Vesuvius Bay route would see a schedule change to make up Quinitsa slow speed and capacity. 
  • The schedule would be rewritten to keep the Quinitsa on schedule.
  • Another sailing would be added to the day to make for the lost capacity of Quinitsa.

5. Salish Raven would provide service on routes 7, 9 and 17 and could possible 4, 5, 6, 19

• Route Seven was add recently because this first plan that I have seen with the route listed on Salish Raven service guide. 
  • 4, 5, 6, 19 would see an increase in capacity 

On 2017-01-04 at 10:41 PM, Blue Bus Fan said:

BC Ferries has update the plan for the New Minor 44-car vessels which will be no LNG operations; but with some battery operations. Also BC Ferries update the routes that we could see the Salish Raven on:

http://www.bcferries.com/files/AboutBCF/foi/Minor_Class_Vessels_-_Rt_18_and_25_Application_to_the_BC_Ferries_Commissioner.pdf

1.  The first one will replace the North Island Princess on the Powell River - Texada Island.
  2.  Second vessel would put Quadra Queen II on standby moving the Quinitsa.
  3.  Quinitsa would replace the Howe Sound Queen on Crofton - Vesuvius Bay.
  4. Since the Crofton - Vesuvius Bay route would see a schedule change to make up Quinitsa slow speed and capacity. 
  • The schedule would be rewritten to keep the Quinitsa on schedule.
  • Another sailing would be added to the day to make for the lost capacity of Quinitsa.

5. Salish Raven would provide service on routes 7, 9 and 17 and could possible 4, 5, 6, 19

• Route Seven was add recently because this first plan that I have seen with the route listed on Salish Raven service guide. 
  • 4, 5, 6, 19 would see an increase in capacity 

Moving Quadra Queen II to backup duty over Quinitsa is a good move. Quinitsa is a little large to be a replacement for some of the smaller boats in the fleet, and while it's a bit smaller than HSQ it should have more than enough room to operate route 6. Quadra Queen II is more similar in size to the smaller vessels, so it would be a better replacement.

The 144-car Salish class is a decent fit to replace the 125-car Island Sky. It's also a good idea to have a more solid backup plan than what currently exists - when Island Sky had to fill in on route 17 for Queen of Burnaby last summer, route 7 was run with a tandem of North Island Princess and Quinitsa, definitely not an ideal arrangement.

The Salish class is the start of BC Ferries consolidating its vessel classes. Based on the fleet plan, in the future there will be no boats with a capacity between the 44-car minor vessels and the 144-car Salish class vessels. Taking route 19 (Nanaimo - Gabriola Island) for example, it currently operates the 70-car Quinsam. When the 50-car Quinitsa was assigned decades ago, there were capacity issues, so a 44-car minor vessel would not be sufficient today. While a 144-car Salish vessel on route 19 is definitely overkill, there isn't anything else able to fill the gap. For the short- to medium-term future though, don't expect any Salish vessels on routes other than 7, 9, and 17, until more Salish-type vessels are ordered to replace the current I, Q, Century, and Powell River classes.

Langdale Terminal will be closing its main berth for upgrades on January 19th, and expected to reopen on April 7th. Since route 3 will only be able to utilize the lower level of any ferries, there will be two vessels providing hourly service on route 3. Queen of Coquitlam and Queen of Surrey will operate from January 19-March 19, with Island Sky replacing Queen of Surrey for the last 2.5 weeks of the closure. More details: http://www.bcferries.com/about/projects/langdale-berth-temporary-closure.html

As an FYI for anyone else, I've added more detail to the Coastal class page on the Wiki, and hope to reorganize the other class pages in a similar fashion to provide more information. I'd also like to add more history to the pages, namely on what vessels were assigned to which routes, and what vessels replaced other vessels on certain routes. If anyone knows of some good resources that I can use for research I'd be appreciative!

5 hours ago, Articulated said:

The 144-car Salish class is a decent fit to replace the 125-car Island Sky. It's also a good idea to have a more solid backup plan than what currently exists - when Island Sky had to fill in on route 17 for Queen of Burnaby last summer, route 7 was run with a tandem of North Island Princess and Quinitsa, definitely not an ideal arrangement.

While a 144-car Salish vessel on route 19 is definitely overkill, there isn't anything else able to fill the gap. For the short- to medium-term future though, don't expect any Salish vessels on routes other than 7, 9, and 17, until more Salish-type vessels are ordered to replace the current I, Q, Century, and Powell River classes.

During the summer I feel like they would move the Salish Raven to the route 17. I think the Bowen Queen would replace the Salish Raven if need be on route 9a. 

I feel like more Salish Class will be order by 2020 to replace the Powell River Class of vessel with route 4 getting the Powell River Queen replacement with the Skeena Queen moving to Nanaimo to  Island and Quinsam moving to the Campbell River to Quadra Island route. 

19 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

During the summer I feel like they would move the Salish Raven to the route 17. I think the Bowen Queen would replace the Salish Raven if need be on route 9a. 

I feel like more Salish Class will be order by 2020 to replace the Powell River Class of vessel with route 4 getting the Powell River Queen replacement with the Skeena Queen moving to Nanaimo to  Island and Quinsam moving to the Campbell River to Quadra Island route. 

I am inclined to agree with the shuffling of Salish Raven/Bowen Queen if either Salish Orca or Island Sky needed replacement during the summer months. During the off season it would probably just be a straight replacement with Salish Raven.

That discussion leads me off on a bit of a tangent... for the replacements of the Powell River class, assuming their replacements are Salish or at least Salish-type vessels, would it be possible to only order 2 Salish vessels to replace all 3 current Powell River class vessels? The Salish Raven almost exactly replaces the role Bowen Queen currently fills, so it's not like it would need a replacement with the shuffling you are proposing (two new Salish vessels on routes 4 and 5, redeployment of two existing vessels on 19 and 23).

On 2017-01-11 at 5:35 PM, Articulated said:

That discussion leads me off on a bit of a tangent... for the replacements of the Powell River class, assuming their replacements are Salish or at least Salish-type vessels, would it be possible to only order 2 Salish vessels to replace all 3 current Powell River class vessels? The Salish Raven almost exactly replaces the role Bowen Queen currently fills, so it's not like it would need a replacement with the shuffling you are proposing (two new Salish vessels on routes 4 and 5, redeployment of two existing vessels on 19 and 23).

I am leading to at least three vessels which will be 2 more Salish Class and another I - Class, being built for replacement vessels of Powell River Class and another major reshuffle of the fleet.

With two more being built Salish Class and one more I - Class:

1. Mayne Queen has direct replacement vessel, a Salish Class vessel.
  2. Skeena Queen moves to replace the Quinsam on her current route.
  3. Quinsam takes over the Powell River Queen on route.
  4. Bowen Queen replacement Salish Class vessel takes over for the Skeena Queen.
  5. Quinitsa will be retired with a Queen of Capilano taking over the Crofton - Vesuvius Bay.
  6. The Queen of Capilano route will be taken over by the Powell River Queen replacement I - Class vessel.

If BC Ferries decides to replace the Powell River Class with three more Salish Class vessel:

1. Mayne Queen has direct replacement vessel, a Salish Class vessel.
  2. Skeena Queen moves to replace the Quinsam.
  3. Quisam takes over the Powell River Queen route.
  4. Powell River Queen replacements vessel takes over for the Skeena Queen route.
  5. Bowen Queen replacement vessel take over for the Island Sky.
  6. Island Sky takes over for Queen of Capilano.
  7. Queen of Capilano takes over the Quinitsa.
  8. Quinitsa will also be send into retirement.

I am shock that BC Ferries hasn't started talking about another major vessel replacement program to replace the Queen of Cowichan, and Queen of Coquatlam which could be retire in 2019. I hope that problem also includes the replacement vessels for the Queen of New Westminster, Queen of Alberni, Queen of Surrey and Queen of Oak Bay which could be retire in 2021. This part of plan that I have seen on West Coast Ferry Forum. Personally, I think all these vessel will be replace with more Coastal Class vessel. The only problem they are going to need to fix for six more Coastal Class vessel in the future is to put double layer loading ramps and over head passenger walk ways at both berths at Langdale terminal.