BC Ferries

A. Wong

The Mill Bay (Brentwood Bay-Mill Bay Ferry) is now for sale... http://www.bcferries.com/bcferries/faces/a...ments?id=372065

Her last sailing will be on the 1st May - after this the terminals will be upgraded to take a slightly larger vessel (The Klitsa). This will also allow for a second ferry to serve the route should the Malahat be closed due to a major accident or poor weather.

• 2 months later...
i remember the Queen of alberni being my first ever ferry i rode from Tsawassen- Nanaimo! boy was he horn a blast to hear on my first trip!

It's been a long time since I rode that ship on any route. First ferry I was ever on was Queen of Victoria on the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay route. I won't tell anyone how old I was back then. Suffice to say she was still painted with that sky blue stripe and smokestack.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Queen of Esquimalt has now undergone scrapping.

On June 1, 2011, she left Port Alberni under the tow of Pacific Tugboat Services tug, Alan G, bound for Ensenada, Mexico.

5787986828_1f05d14af7_z.jpg

Princess Jacqueline under tow in Alberni Inlet. by BCFS, on Flickr

She arrived at her destination of Ensenada on June 9, 2011.

The following photo shows that everything forward of her aft elevator has now been removed. The photo was taken in mid-July, so what currently remains intact, if anything, is unknown.

http://fattonyenterprise.com/blog/wp-conte...a-mexico-15.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know how many years the Queen of Alberni and the Queen of Chilliwack have till they get retired? I know the queen of Chilliwack is still running on the Pacific Coastal passage route (Port Hardy- Bella Coola) but its been awhile since i have seen the Alberni.

Anyone know how many years the Queen of Alberni and the Queen of Chilliwack have till they get retired? I know the queen of Chilliwack is still running on the Pacific Coastal passage route (Port Hardy- Bella Coola) but its been awhile since i have seen the Alberni.

The C-Class vessels, including the Alberni, will not see retirement for at least another 10 - 15 years.

As for the Chilliwack, she has already undergone her first phase of a major rebuild that has already added new evacuation systems, watertight doors on the car deck and steel replacement. The second phase, which will occur sometime early next year, will be focused primarily on her passenger decks. This two-phased project should give her another 5 - 10 years of service with BC Ferries.

Besides the Discovery Coast, the Chilliwack must serve Routes 7 (Saltery Bay - Earls Cove) and 17 (Comox - Powell River) in the off-season when the vessels that serve those respective routes require refit.

Ah ok i see. Glad they still have quite a bit of years ahead of them. I even emailed BCF about them and they said theres no future plans in retirement and will announce well in advance in regards to ferry retirement. So the 50 mil is being put into the chilliwack is well worth it.

• 7 months later...

You won't be doing that at West Edmonton Mall anymore. :(

Actually, I never did do the subs at WEM. Didn't they run on a track? NOt the same. I'd like to take a ferry out into the middle of the ocean and transfer to a REAL submarine. That would be real fun. Still...Nothing beats a trolley...nothing (where have I heard that before ?)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Today, the Queen of Vancouver is departing for Ensenada, Mexico where she will be scrapped. At this time, the tug Alan G has arrived in Fanny Bay to take her on her final voyage to Ensenada.

The Queen of Saanich will likely have the same fate, but no concrete departure plans for her just yet.

The Queen of Vancouver is southbound as of 0645 and is proceeding at about 4 knots. For those wanting photos (I understand this is a transit forum, but in case you're interested :P) she will be passing Vancouver later on in the day. Check both SiiTech and MarineTraffic for updated info on the tug Alan G.

According to Siitech, she is set to arrive in Ensenada on Sunday, August 19th.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Board Admin

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Starting tomorrow, there will be service cuts to the major routes of BC Ferries.

Derin Guenett with the corporation says the Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay, the Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, and Tsawwassen to Duke Point routes will be affected.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/411439--service-cuts-to-major-routes-of-bc-ferries?cid=dlvr.it

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...