Belleville Transit

OC Transpo 8238

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Are there due to be any retirements at Belleville Transit?? or any more LFS' coming in??

An unofficial source says three new buses this year. City council has set the budget, but not the final tax bill so this may just a preliminary plan. Service on Sundays, but no service on Family Day.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

From the Belleville Intelligencer.

Province gives city nearly $500,000 for buses

The City of Belleville is expected to place approximately $400,000 back into reserves after the provincial government announced it will provide one-third funding for the purchase of three new transit buses.

Prince Edward-Hastings MPP Leona Dombrowsky announced Thursday the city will receive $499,500 under the 2009 Ontario Bus Replacement Program.

The program, created in 2007, has a goal of improving public transit service and increasing ridership and accessibility.

The announcement came as a surprise to city officials considering the program awards a handful of municipalities who apply for the funding.

“When we did our budget back in April we made a submission for the three buses to the Ontario Bus Replacement Program and were hoping we’d be successful and, it turns out, we have been successful,” Belleville’s treasurer, Brian Cousins, said.

Cousins said when council struck its budget it had not budgeted for the funding meaning the city will have to decide how it will use the funds.

In the budget the city had planned to fund the $1.5 million for the three buses using $1.1 million from provincial gas tax money and another $400,000 from the 2008 Ontario economic outlook and fiscal review grant.

“What we’ll do is we’ll buy the buses because council’s already approved that and, I would think, instead of using all that provincial gas tax we’ll use the $499,000 and leave some of the gas tax funds in reserves,” Cousins said.

Coun. Jack Miller, chairman of the transit advisory committee, said the announcement’s timing was “ironic” because members of the committee were questioning whether there had been any news on the Ontario Bus Replacement Program application earlier this week.

Belleville is one of 47 municipalities receiving Ontario Bus Replacement Program funding this year. Combined, the funds are expected to replace 470 transit buses across Ontario.

Miller said Belleville’s three new buses are expected to arrive sometime in autumn.

“They’re identical to what we currently have but they’re newer models,” Miller said. “They are all accessible and the beauty of it is we’ll now have 10 of the Nova buses and it’s important that we have a fleet of the same buses because it can make everything easier from maintenance on.”

The replacement of older buses in the city should also mean financial savings, Dombrowsky said.

“When we replace aging buses, maintenance costs are reduced which means better transit service in our community,” she said.

Article ID# 1609034

To me this is a waste of money.

Now they'll be 10 of these Nova's, which exceeds (I think), the number of buses that are out everyday. In other words the oldest bus in the regular day-to-day fleet is going to be five years old. And at least one of those five year old buses is essentially going to be a spare bus already.

One bus per year over the next three years would have made more sense. Unfortunately we get stung here by the bureaucracy of a tiered system that trickles money down for use by a certain time, hence we probably leave some service life in our assets that we get rid of. And it isn't just Belleville doing this. You can't find a family doctor in Belleville and the hospital's broke but at least there's a pimped out ride to the walk-in clinic.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

These late Nova's mean that the Classics are out a whole lot these days. No one I've spoken too lately seemed sure about when the new buses would arrive.

Apparently all four Classics are still going although I haven't seen 8845 on the road in ages and verified this with a driver this week who last remembers seeing it out before Christmas.

That leaves the other three, 8946, 9248 and O255, all of which seem to be on the road a lot. They have changed the Route 4 and 5 run time from 30 minutes to 45 minutes on weekday afternoons while maintaining the regular 30 minute headway so this means that during this period there is another bus needed which seems very often to be a Classic. The 45 minute round trips mean that the departure schedule at the terminal isn't as simple as before. Basically if you spend an hour at the terminal on a weekday afternoon you will see all the buses that operate routes 4 and 5 and quite often you will find a Classic arriving.

8946 and 9248 were both out late on Monday afternoon. 8946, 0255 and 9248 were out on Tuesday afternoon although 8946 was the Loyalist extra so it probably would only have been around a couple of hours. 0255 was still going at 6:30 Wednesday night on Rt. 4, Thursday morning it was on Rt. 5 and 8946 is out today (Friday) on Rt. 5. They will likely all get the weekend off.

So are the Orion VI`s still scheduled to be retired in late 2010/early 2011?

They have a need for those buses right now. I doubt they would go anywhere until there was something to replace them and if they are committed to replacing the Classics first the Orions may be around a while yet.

• 2 weeks later...

46, 48, 55 all seen this week. 55 was actually on Rt. 3 this morning.

You can also see remnants of the old GM buses in the piles at Crawford's. If you head west on College Street you can see the section of one from the front wheels ahead only on the driver's side. Basically just an orange piece of metal with a driver's window and a wheel. There also looked to be a bigger orange piece of scrap metal toward the rear of the lot but I was watching where I was going and will have to get back for a better look. I may attempt to get a picture or two on the weekend.

bus_1.jpg

bus_2.jpg

I'm thinking this is 39 although I'm not 100% sure. It has the "Easier Access" stickers which only 38 and 39 had. 38 had the full "8038" number in black stickers. 39 retained the original, painted-on "39" to the end on the driver's side and was somewhat faded by the time it was retired.

I wonder if the odometer still reads 308849, which it read since about 1988. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
The new Nova's are coming soon. 3 new Belleville 2010 LFS's are ready for delivery at Novabus now.

Source is a Nova employee that posted this info on another board.

It will be the very first for Belleville that went their own specs without buying off from demo version.

• Like 1