Sign in to follow this  
409 Thornton

Air Transat

I will be taking a trip to the Carribbean in March and we think we are taking Air Transat and I would like to know what there planes and service are like, this is my first time on an airplane so I can't compare it to anything I'm just looking for some input and opinions on Air Transat's service

Tight legroom, 9-abreast seating on the A310 and A330 (as opposed to 8 on most other airlines).

I'm flying on them to the Caribbean this January, definitely not looking forward to the flight. :lol:

Tight legroom, 9-abreast seating on the A310 and A330 (as opposed to 8 on most other airlines).

I'm flying on them to the Caribbean this January, definitely not looking forward to the flight. :lol:

why are you not looking foward to the flight?

I would like to start a pro/con list on airlines

Air Canada

West Jet

Air Transat

any other airlines that provide service to Mexico or Dominican from Toronto

I would like to start a pro/con list on airlines

Air Canada

West Jet

Air Transat

any other airlines that provide service to Mexico or Dominican from Toronto

other service to southern places is by skyservice and sunwing

Because of the cramped seating.

If I were to fly to Mexico or the Caribbean, I'd probably choose American Airlines (via Miami) to get my AAdvantage Miles, or Delta Air Lines (via Atlanta) to get my SkyMiles. Unfortunately for me, I won't be able to fly with them on this trip, because I'm going to Varadero, and AA and DL are obviously not allowed to fly there.

I refuse to fly on Air Canada, unless if it's an emergency and there's no other options. I go out of my way just to avoid them.

We flew with Air Transat this year, on a flight to London Gatwick from Vancouver. Unfortunately, there wasn't very much in terms of entertainment and the seating is rather cramped, but the majority of the staff were rather friendly. We won't be flying with them again, but they were satisfactory. I'd say, see what you think of them. Fly with them once before you judge them...

Good luck with the trip

I'm flying on them to the Caribbean this January, definitely not looking forward to the flight. :)

I traveled with Air Transit to the D.R. on a a310, wasn't that bad. The Total airtime was about 5 hours, they played a movie and served a sandwich/pizza(on return). What more do you want? Try and get left/right isle seating, although there was some ignorant people standing up and yelling to each other off an on during the flight.

I'm flying on them to the Caribbean this January, definitely not looking forward to the flight. :)

Their lone Airbus A330-300 has 8 abreast seating in a 2-4-2 layout.

I've flown on Air Transat's A330-200 and A310-300 aircraft and thought they were comfortable enough. For a short hop to the Caribbean, they are adequate.

Hell, I'd rather risk the Greyhound than fly Air Canada :(

Westjet does have some package tours that hit the west coast of Mexico, prices are pretty decent according to a buddy of mine

:) Since when did a Greyhound bus became a plane? They have stopped all flight operations as of September 14th, 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_Air :P

You should try Mexicana Airlines

Their lone Airbus A330-300 has 8 abreast seating in a 2-4-2 layout.

I see, thanks!

I've been on planes with a 29"-30" seat pitch, it was unbearable for even a 50 minute flight. Might be just me, though.

Wonder how much seat pitch TS has.

Just got back from my trip.

The flight attendants were extremely friendly, as were the ground staff at YYZ. I got one of the best seats on the plane (A310), 26A. That's near the back of the plane where the layout changes to 2-3-2, and the legroom was really good. The food was terrible, but I appreciate their effort of serving a hot meal on a 3 hour flight.

On the way back, I got a seat in the middle of the cabin, a row behind the overwing exits. The seats were simply unbearable. VERY tight legroom in that part of the plane.

I would use them again, no doubt. I just hope that I can score the good seats on my future flights with them. The A310 is a rare plane nowadays, always a treat to fly on one as an aviation enthusiast.

I never flew on Air Transit, but I remembered when they still used the Lockheed L-1011s! Now those were some nice tri-jets albeit their were old, but were beautiful. I wished Air Transit still flew those. I am not a fan of the Airbus jets.:lol:

I never flew on Air Transit, but I remembered when they still used the Lockheed L-1011s! Now those were some nice tri-jets albeit their were old, but were beautiful. I wished Air Transit still flew those. I am not a fan of the Airbus jets.:)

Agreed. It's virtually impossible to fly on a L-1011 now, unless if you're with the Royal Air Force (UK). Not sure if Hewa Bora Airways of Congo still flies them.

Ill step up for Air Canada, I have flown with them many times and almost every time it was flawless. Even when the time where they goofed up I was accomudated and compensated extremely well. Just a couple of months ago they sent me a quality pair of noise cancelling earphones.

They were late a couple of times, but all the times were beyond the airlines control, bad weather, problems with atc. I have had more issues travelling with westjet and American Airlines (I could write a whole paper on how these guys screwed me over)

Air Transat- i flew with them once to london, it was a okay flight, no problems but could be better, but I rather fly with either AC or BA, as have more ammenties and earn points.

Air Transat brings 304 Syrian refugees to Montreal

http://news-releases.transat.com/2015-12-23-Air-Transat-brings-304-Syrian-refugees-to-Montreal

Travelling within Canada with Air Transat

Beginning November 2015, Air Transat will be introducing three new domestic flights between Montreal and Toronto and, as of December 2015, will be continuing its popular domestic flights between Calgary and Vancouver, making new alternatives for travelling within the country available to Canadians.

http://news-releases.transat.com/index.php?s=2429&item=123883

I've flown on them twice, never again. Once the L1011 which had 3-4-3 seating instead of the traditional 2-5-2 and no leg room. The other time was with the A332 C-GITS (Azores Glider) and the leg room was horrendous. The crew was b#tchy and service was ridiculous. Breakfast consisted of a tiny bun with cheese (2 bites and its gone), a small halloween sized kit kat and water - not even coffee. We got into Amsterdam and everyone rushed for Burger King to get some food.

There was a line up for the bathroom, so we stood in the aisles waiting. One of the FAs snapped at us and told us to wait in our seats (no service was being offered at the time, the crew member came out of their hiding place) - it must have been her first TA flight - if you wait to use the potty in your seat, you might as well pee your pants.

I've flown on them twice, never again. Once the L1011 which had 3-4-3 seating instead of the traditional 2-5-2 and no leg room. The other time was with the A332 C-GITS (Azores Glider) and the leg room was horrendous. The crew was b#tchy and service was ridiculous. Breakfast consisted of a tiny bun with cheese (2 bites and its gone), a small halloween sized kit kat and water - not even coffee. We got into Amsterdam and everyone rushed for Burger King to get some food.

There was a line up for the bathroom, so we stood in the aisles waiting. One of the FAs snapped at us and told us to wait in our seats (no service was being offered at the time, the crew member came out of their hiding place) - it must have been her first TA flight - if you wait to use the potty in your seat, you might as well pee your pants.

Does C-GITS have the bathrooms clustered down below the cabin floor? I know some of Transat's A330's have that layout, but I'm not sure exactly which ones.

Does C-GITS have the bathrooms clustered down below the cabin floor? I know some of Transat's A330's have that layout, but I'm not sure exactly which ones.

Nope, on the main deck. I had no idea that any modern aircraft other than the A345/346 had bathrooms down below. Interesting.

Nope, on the main deck. I had no idea that any modern aircraft other than the A345/346 had bathrooms down below. Interesting.

I am aware that some A330's (mainly of charter airlines) have underfloor lavatories, including at least one of Air Transat's. Likely one or more of their newer ones if C-GITS doesn't have it. I can't find much information about it other than that, or photos, so it seems to be fairly rare.

If someone who's seen it on an Air Transat plane could confirm this or provide some more info regarding this feature, that would be great.

Premair was one example. It was an option that never took off.

As far as I'm aware, all of Transat's planes have been recently refurbished and none of them feature lower level lav's.

Just in time for Spring break. If so this will drive up the cost for spring break travel.

If you haven't booked by now - I don't think that'll make much of a difference anymore LOL