The Canadian Roadgeek

Anyone create their own transit system?

16 hours ago, Shakey077 said:

I am playing it on Xbox 1 but you can mod anything there. Fun game but cant really do much with transit. 

PC MASTER RACE!!!!

I'm recreating a city I made when I was like 7 or 8. I have dozens of mods right now and it's becoming a city. I have KAWA CX-300 (ficitional), Flexity Outlook and MBTA trams. I also have Tokyo 08 Series metro trains and New Flyer XD60 buses.

• Like 1

MetroTech Systems:

Starting in September, options for traction motors for all trains will be changed. The following changes will be made: (click on each motor to listen to their sound)

• - Will be discontinued for the MT-3,and M7 family. [N/A for the LFT family]
  • -  Will be discontinued for the MT-3 and M7 family. [see below for the LFT family]
  • - Available for the LFT family (LFT Series 01).
  • -  Available for the M7 family (M7Q).
  • - Available for the M7 family (M7H and M7C).
  • - Available for the LFT family (LFT Series III).
  • Like 1

Because our competitors have released sound samples, we will do the same for our motors.

• UTC AX - 
     (UTC 301 subway)
  • UTC TX - 
     (UTC R301 railway)

ALSO MORE LVTA NEWS COMING LATER

On 06/07/2017 at 1:57 AM, O530 Carris PT said:

NanohaBus (then-Elfen TH) chose the XD60 because it looked nicely with the design of the New Flyer's Xcelsior line of buses (but I think that NanohaBus could also do it in the XD40 bus too).

And after the XD60s, here it comes the XD40s... Only for NanohaBus-PTT, now.

NanohaBus-PTT wraps three New Flyer XD40 with a special livery themed Re:Zero: Ram & Rem Twin Maids

LISBON, Portugal - August 28th, 2017 - /PRNewsWire/ - NanohaBus International (NYSE: NBUS) subsidiary NanohaBus-PTT announced that has wrapped three New Flyer XD40 Xcelsior standard-length, 40-foot buses (equipped with frameless windows, Cummins ISL9-280 engines and Allison B400R gearboxes - Fleet numbers: #7002, #5110 and #8122) also themed in the two twin maids of Re:Zero (Ram & Rem). The design of the wraps is similar to those existent in the Re:Zero Ram and Rem-themed XD60s, but with a surprise in the third bus: A hybrid of the both characters (left side: Rem, right side: Ram). The bus which has the Ram-themed design will go to the Eastern operations (COP 2) and the one with the Rem-themed design will go to the Western operations (COP 9). The hybrid version will be destined to both COP 7 and COP 9. A list of the wrapped buses will follow:

• #7002: Ram-themed, the interior remained the same - will be on service on the routes 254 and 277 by the weekend;
  • #5110: Rem-themed, the interior remained the same - will be on service on the routes 943 and 956 by the weekend;
  • #8122: Hybrid Ram/Rem-themed, the interior remained the same - will be on service on the routes 703 and 922 by the weekend;

The bus was choosen because, likewise the XD60s, was the one which looked the best in the testings. The New Flyer XN40 Xcelsior CNG bus may be the next to be wrapped in the Ram & Rem Twin Maid liveries.

MetroTech Facts

What's the difference between our traction motors on our trains?

You may hear various different noises and pitches for our traction motors. In reality, their energy efficient and improve on operational performance. IGBT-VVVF technology is used on various modern trains today, but we aim for better performance and reduced power consumption. SiC-VVVF is the latest brrakthrough we've made reducing power consumption by up to 12% and increased performance. This new generation of traction motors will become standard as the M7 family rolls into service and production. We are also experimenting with PMSM technology and we hope to announce news in the near future.

For passengers, its clean and efficient. To you, its green and clean.

SMRT Preview:

Here today we have a demo through our subway station turnstiles to see how they work. They accept both tickets and SMRT Tap. Have a look below:

Inspired by Japan's IC card system. SUiCA and Pasmo which I have a real life Pasmo card!

NEWMAN TRANSIT

SEPTEMBER 1, 2017

SERVICE CHANGES

With the conclusion of the summer break, several service changes will be taking place.

Branch 2B (Lakeshore / Kenworth – Kitchener Avenue via Callahan) will be discontinued. All trams will operate on branch 2 (Lakeshore / Kenworth – Kitchener Avenue).

This route will now operate from 7:00 to 21:59 on weekdays.

A new branch will be introduced, 3B (River Oaks College – Lakeshore / Kenworth). Every other tram will operate on this branch during rush hours.

After not operating during the summer, service on this route will be restored.

X9

This route will cease to operate.

This route will resume its regular routing, after watermain construction at Creekbank Road and Fairport Road required a diversion.

This route will resume its regular routing, after watermain construction at Creekbank Road and Fairport Road required a diversion.

Seasonal branch 35F (Newman Station – River Oaks College via Fairport) will start operating.

Seasonal branch 43A (Newman Station – Kipling Park) will cease to operate.

Seasonal branch 53A (Livonia Student Residences – Newman University) will start operating.

201 Special Express

202 Special Express

203 Special Express

Summers Under The Wire

The special Friday-Sunday heritage route will cease to operate.

All routes operating on summer break schedules will now operate on school year schedules once more.

UTC

Today, we are launching a wide variety of products, from trains to motor to buses. Let's first start with the buses.

We are launching the XTDR40, XTDR60, CXNR40 and CXNR60. These are modified XTD40, XTD60, CXN40 and CXN60 that have a "BRT" like front. The old models will be special order only and go up in price. Gallery below:

XTDR series:

WMATA_New_Flyer_D40LFR_Red_Scheme.JPG

(Under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license.)

CXNR series:

36802274662_e274942199_o.jpgP3350 by Jeff Yu, on Flickr

Then, we are launching the new UTC 301R, known internally as the UTC 310. This unit is contract manufactured by TRSC. It is a restyled version of the UTC 301. The previous model will be discontinued. Here is a picture:

Unit_345007_at_Shenfield_7th_July_2017_06.thumb.jpg.104cb4c52b603c70d2b7f82f9a3b9417.jpg

(By Sunilo60952, under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license.

To accompany this new train, we are launching the UTC AXi motor. Here is a soundtrack:

Also, LVTA hint:

Unit_378149_at_Crystal_Palace.thumb.JPG.f054f1a24999ca362174e24082986535.JPG

MetroTech Systems

On 25/08/2017 at 6:05 PM, CanadianTransitTycoon said:

Starting in September, options for traction motors for all trains will be changed. The following changes will be made:

• - Will be discontinued for the MT-3,and M7 family. [N/A for the LFT family]
  • -  Will be discontinued for the MT-3 and M7 family. [see below for the LFT family]
  • - Available for the LFT family (LFT Series 01).
  • -  Available for the M7 family (M7Q).
  • - Available for the M7 family (M7H and M7C).
  • - Available for the LFT family (LFT Series III).

For a better perspective, here is the new motors in action:

MetroTech LTX02 Traction Motors (LFT Series III tram):

MetroTech NX07 Traction Motors (M7Q series):

MetroTech NX08 Traction Motors (M7H, M7C series):

On 8/30/2017 at 3:32 PM, CanadianTransitTycoon said:

SMRT Preview:

Here today we have a demo through our subway station turnstiles to see how they work. They accept both tickets and SMRT Tap. Have a look below:

@CanadianTransitTycoon

Just saw this, it's cool. So, I'm curious, what types of barriers are used? By "turnstile"...are they all the familiar "tripod" type turnstile? Or are there a few types? Do they have different type for unstaffed exits? (Montreal used to, but now it's all tripods....except for certain accessible gates that have those red things that move out of the way, like in Singapore)

In the case of Nu'u-Sara, the type might vary, including tripod, London UTS style (large pads that swing open), Japan-style (smaller pads), Singapore style (those red things that move out of the way), Boston style (gates that slide to the side), Toronto-style (those distinct horizontal turnstiles you only see there), Rotogate (Chicago term for High Entry/Exit Turnstile, Nu'u-Sara usually has them at unstaffed entrances), and full-height sliding door AKA Elevator Style (also used at unstaffed entrance/exits). Does SMRT require you to keep your ticket/card? It is the case in Nu'u-Sara's AOS (subway) and commuter train networks, due to the zonal nature (exits that have no gates, or have the gates open for some reason, require you to "Touch in and touch out" if using a stored-value "Octomatic". Besides the screen and voice clips, is there anything else that happens either when one may pass or one may not pass? There's various colored lights....here's what I previously said...several years ago.

On 9/15/2014 at 10:30 PM, Ra'akone said:

Nu'u-Sara experimented with several different configurations to get something that works. Also, there's light that flashes several colors, on the sides of the pad and the slot. Red = No good (and a "Seek Assistance" message will appear, along with any other relevant information), Yellow = Fare deducted/will be deducted from Octomatic. Orange = Insufficient Octomatic funds. Also indicates a ticket of insufficient value at the exit. Green = Pass/ticket is good. Flashing Orange and Yellow = Funds are getting low. Blue = "Capping" engaged on Octomatic (like with Oyster Pay As You Go, the most one could spend in a day is equal to the cost of an equivalent Travel Card) Purple = Octomatic refilled/tickets/pass transferred (users can arrange for a "pickup" of a pass, Octomatic funds, or tickets from the gates of any valid station via the 'net or by phone) Lunar White = On top of red, indicates that fare media is corrupt or misread. If all is well, "Enter" or "Exit" will show up, along with "take ticket" in the event of a ticket being used (if the journey is over, and it was a one way or two way ticket, the machine may "eat" the ticket)

A relevant message does appear on the display, besides the "Enter" or "Exit" or "Seek Assistance", remaining fare (if applicable) or warning about it being a "wrong" ticket will appear.

On 8/30/2017 at 3:05 AM, CanadianTransitTycoon said:

MetroTech Facts

What's the difference between our traction motors on our trains?

You may hear various different noises and pitches for our traction motors. In reality, their energy efficient and improve on operational performance. IGBT-VVVF technology is used on various modern trains today, but we aim for better performance and reduced power consumption. SiC-VVVF is the latest brrakthrough we've made reducing power consumption by up to 12% and increased performance. This new generation of traction motors will become standard as the M7 family rolls into service and production. We are also experimenting with PMSM technology and we hope to announce news in the near future.

For passengers, its clean and efficient. To you, its green and clean.

So what does PMSM mean?

@PCC Guy

On 9/1/2017 at 9:40 PM, PCC Guy said:

X9

What does an "X" route mean?

@Around the Horn

On 9/4/2017 at 1:06 AM, Around the Horn said:

Well folks, I've finished the design work for the new paint scheme on our forthcoming XD60s, so without further ado, here it is:

Nice design!

Edited by Ra'akone
Wanted to ensure I responded to several messages here!
  • Like 1

I'm going to stop making annoucements based on Lonver and start from scratch. Too much conflicting information :)

I'm now just going to pretend UTC and BCRC are state owned companies, owned by the new place, still based in the old city :/

17 hours ago, Ra'akone said:

What does an "X" route mean?

It means it's a replacement service, usually for a tram or trolleybus service. For more info on what the X9 specifically was all about, refer to my July update:

3 hours ago, Ra'akone said:

@CanadianTransitTycoon

Just saw this, it's cool. So, I'm curious, what types of barriers are used? By "turnstile"...are they all the familiar "tripod" type turnstile? Or are there a few types? Do they have different type for unstaffed exits? (Montreal used to, but now it's all tripods....except for certain accessible gates that have those red things that move out of the way, like in Singapore)

In the case of Nu'u-Sara, the type might vary, including tripod, London UTS style (large pads that swing open), Japan-style (smaller pads), Singapore style (those red things that move out of the way), Boston style (gates that slide to the side), Toronto-style (those distinct horizontal turnstiles you only see there), Rotogate (Chicago term for High Entry/Exit Turnstile, Nu'u-Sara usually has them at unstaffed entrances), and full-height sliding door AKA Elevator Style (also used at unstaffed entrance/exits). Does SMRT require you to keep your ticket/card? It is the case in Nu'u-Sara's AOS (subway) and commuter train networks, due to the zonal nature (exits that have no gates, or have the gates open for some reason, require you to "Touch in and touch out" if using a stored-value "Octomatic". Besides the screen and voice clips, is there anything else that happens either when one may pass or one may not pass? There's various colored lights....here's what I previously said...several years ago.

The turnstiles are the familiar tripod, starting in 2017 however, stations are being fitted with newer entrance gates similar to these:

tokyo-metro-entrance-gates.jpg

Does not reflect station entrance layout. Just as a means to show off the entrance gates.

Currently they use the old SMRT Tap software seen in the video. At the moment, the current SMRT Tap systems were add-ons to the existing turnstiles. In the past, the gates were manned (a ticket operator would punch the ticket and let you in or out). Around 1997, automatic ticket readers were retrofitted to the turnstiles. And around 2013 ( I forgot, it's been so long XD ), SMRT Tap was introduced. We are developing a newer scanning system that is more informative and understandable.

3 hours ago, Ra'akone said:

@CanadianTransitTycoon

So what does PMSM mean?

Permanent-magnet synchronous motor or known as a brushless electric motor (Wikipedia link for information)

While these types of motors have been around for years, they have been seeing more common use recently. Japan is the only country that uses PMSM technology more often than other countries (exception is Singapore MRT and the C151 series. which has PMSM VVVF motors retrofitted). Here's a good comparison with GTO Chopper vs PMSM:

I hope this might help in figuring out what PMSM is. Overall they're just energy efficient motors and sound much quieter. I don't 100% known more detail beyond this so I'm sorry if it makes it more confusing! :P

1 hour ago, CanadianTransitTycoon said:

The turnstiles are the familiar tripod, starting in 2017 however, stations are being fitted with newer entrance gates similar to these:

tokyo-metro-entrance-gates.jpg

Does not reflect station entrance layout. Just as a means to show off the entrance gates.

Currently they use the old SMRT Tap software seen in the video. At the moment, the current SMRT Tap systems were add-ons to the existing turnstiles. In the past, the gates were manned (a ticket operator would punch the ticket and let you in or out). Around 1997, automatic ticket readers were retrofitted to the turnstiles. And around 2013 ( I forgot, it's been so long XD ), SMRT Tap was introduced. We are developing a newer scanning system that is more informative and understandable.

Permanent-magnet synchronous motor or known as a brushless electric motor (Wikipedia link for information)

While these types of motors have been around for years, they have been seeing more common use recently. Japan is the only country that uses PMSM technology more often than other countries (exception is Singapore MRT and the C151 series. which has PMSM VVVF motors retrofitted). Here's a good comparison with GTO Chopper vs PMSM:

I hope this might help in figuring out what PMSM is. Overall they're just energy efficient motors and sound much quieter. I don't 100% known more detail beyond this so I'm sorry if it makes it more confusing! :P

Doing my research, searching for PMSM on the Japanese Wikipedia returns several train types that use PMSM. Of note are three Tokyo Metro trains: 16000 series (Chiyoda Line), 1000 series (Ginza Line), and 13000 series (Hibiya Line). These all sound different from the type used in the C151. So they could all be different designs; note the 13000 series, which only entered service earlier this year, is exceptionally quiet compared to the other two. I haven't had a chance to hear the sound of the Hankyu ones; those, especially set 8001F, which was retrofit like Singapore's, could be different as well.

2 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Doing my research, searching for PMSM on the Japanese Wikipedia returns several train types that use PMSM. Of note are three Tokyo Metro trains: 16000 series (Chiyoda Line), 1000 series (Ginza Line), and 13000 series (Hibiya Line). These all sound different from the type used in the C151. So they could all be different designs; note the 13000 series, which only entered service earlier this year, is exceptionally quiet compared to the other two. I haven't had a chance to hear the sound of the Hankyu ones; those, especially set 8001F, which was retrofit like Singapore's, could be different as well.

Here is Hankyu. It is pretty quiet because it is PMSM and SiC motors, SiC being a new form of IGBT. (I do remember this set had PMSM motors without SiC VVVF, can't find the video)

There are numerous companies in Japan that also have adopted PMSM motors, but not as a full fleet but more of a set with PMSM.

Kita-Osaka Kyuko Railway in Osaka (that runs alongside the Osaka Municipal Subway) has PMSM on their newest trains. the 9000 Series. Granted these sound more like the 16000 Series and 1000 Series.

Some private railways like Keikyu (the company that has

!) also adopted PMSM as a trial.

Tobu's 30000 Series...

Keio's 8000 Series...

Seibu's 6000 Series...

Tokyo Metro's 02 Series is an example of a refurbishment (the early batches had chopper control while later batches had IGBT motors)

This video shows all of Tokyo Metro's trains with PMSM installed:

That's about the most I know from the top of my head... (and google)

After a bit of a hiatus, here we go again.

LVTA as of today, is now TransMetro (Didn't realize until after I chose the name that it was already used, but who cares, there are two TransLinks). All services will be rebranded and repainted starting Tuesday, and Lonver is apparently part of Canadia again! Just ignore everything I said before :unsure:. Here's a fleet list, with the liveries they will be in. They will be all renumbered.

IN SERVICE:

7001-7012  2007  NFI D40LFR  CUMMINS ISL  ALLISON B400R  DTC  TM  12

7021-7098  2017  TRISTAR TS40DE SUBURBAN  IBES-DE  REV-HE  PTC  TM  78

7101-7145  2017  UTC XTD40  CUMMINS ISL9  UTC T-1400  PTC  TM-V  45   

8001-8023  2006  NFI D60LFR  CUMMINS ISM  ALLISON B400R  DTC  TM-V  23

8031-8051  2017  TRISTAR TS60C  OTC T-ACNG  MT NBT01-8R  PTC  TM-V  21

8061-8070  2017  UTC XTD60  CUMMINS ISL9  ZF 6AP1700B  PTC  TM-V  10

4001-4099, 4101-4136  2017  TRISTAR ELEGANCE-HYBRID  DTC  TM  135

4201-4299, 4301-4299, 4401-4432  2005-2006  ORION VII  CW ISL G  ALLISON B400R5  YTC  TM-V  230

9001-9005  2004  NFI C40LF  CW ISL G  ZF 6AP1400B  CTC  DR  5

9006-9020  2004  NFI C40LF  CW ISL G  ZF 6AP1400B  CTC  DR  20

9026-9030  2011  EN PASSPORT-HD  NS MAXXFORCE 7  ALLISON 3000 PTS  DR  CTC  5

9031-9035  2016  EN AXESS 35  CUMMINS ISL9  ALLISON B400R6  DR  CTC  5

9036-9050  2017  TRISTAR  TS30D  CUMMINS ISB6.7  ALLISON B400R6  DR  CTC  15

3001-3002  2016  LVTATD HE DEMO  LVTATD FC GEN  LVTATD HE SYSTEM  TM  CTC  2

ON ORDER/REFURBISHING/WORK BEING DONE:

9036-9040  2004  BLUE BIRD ULTRA LMB  Signs being installed, being repowered.

9041-9045  2005  EN NATIONAL EZ-RIDER II  Units being repowered.

7201-7280  2017-2018  NFI XN40  CW ISL G  ZF 6AP1400B  Units on order.

7281-7299  2017-2018  NFI XD40  CUMMINS ISL9  ZF 6AP1400B  Units on order.

7301-7340  2017-2018  NFI XDE40  CUMMINS ISL9  BAE HDS200  Units on order.

7341-7350  2018  NFI XHE40  Units on order.

2001-2040  2018  TRISTAR TS40T  Units on order.

2041-2080  2018  TRISTAR TS60T  Units on order.

4501-4540  2018-2019  TRISTAR RE40EHS  Units on order.

4541-4580  2019  TRISTAR  TS60HE  Units on order.

9101-9127  2018  TRISTAR  TS30D  CUMMINS ISB6.7  ALLISON B400R6  Units on order.

9131-9157  2018  TRISTAR  TS35D  CUMMINS ISB6.7  ALLISON B400R6  Units on order.

9161-9170  2018-2019  TRISTAR TS30C  CW ISB6.7 G  ALLISON B400R6  Units on order.

9171-9180  2018-2019  TRISTAR TS35C  CW ISB6.7 G  ALLISON B400R6  Units on order.

More news coming soon :/

Here's something I made, a few highway signs as you would find in York. These are heavily copped from Slovakia's; however, I standardized this shit a little bit.

Approaching an exit:

Q6TRyFM.png

The destinations are listed from furthest away to closest, so going forward on Highway 97 will take you, in order, to Lakeside, Folkestone, River Oaks and then Trnava - south (these are boroughs of Newman). Exiting onto a local blue road (in this case Livonia Avenue) will take you to the Livonia borough, where the exit is located, and will also take you to New Bratislava if you so desire.

The Newman-Livonia exit:

vjrVrtm.png

continuing along the 97 will then bring you to two exits both labelled Lakeside; the standard "Newman-Lakeside exit" will be labelled as above (because there are other boroughs to be accessed from that exit), but then the next exit, to differentiate between the two, is labelled "Newman-Lakeside-Creekbank Rd".

5b4z3EY.png

This is in all white because this is just an access road to the Lakeside borough. There are no other boroughs that it would make sense to access through this highway exit, and as Lakeside is right there, there is no need to indicate a blue (local) road, so all white it is.

I might mock up a few more of these once I figure the names of the towns bordering Newman.

Accompanying the news, a major incident happened today. The driver operated Metro Line (temporary as we are installing completely ATO/ATC) had two trains that collided slightly beyond Yale Station, while switching tracks to go back to Central. Specifically trains number #4 (3931-3933-3932-3934-3935-3936-3938-3937-3939) and number #1 (3901-3902-3903-3904-3905-3906-3907-3908-3909) collided. These trains will be taken out of service and repaired or rebuilt, and the most damaged cars may be scrapped and replaced. Since this was at the end of the line, no one was hurt. As trains could not turn back at Yale, service between River Blvd and Yale was suspended, and was replaced with a bus bridge. On Tuesday, transit will be free, and if you had a pass and was effected, we will refund you $10.

REMINDER: On Monday, service will be on Sunday hours, and fares will be discounted. $1.80 for a child fare, $1.50 for a senior fare (65+) and $2.80 for a adult fare, for unlimited travel across the system within 120mins.

25 minutes ago, Trans said:

Which website are you all useing to create a transit system? Please answer thank You!

I use paper and Google Docs

There's no website for it because everyone's creative vision is different. For my part, three programs have been deeply important to my work: OpenOffice (maintaining histories, descriptions, vehicle rosters and route information), Paint.NET (drawing and editing my map file), and gBUSE (editing destination sign exposures as they would appear in Newman if it was real). 

• Like 1

Hillrose Regional Transit System

It has been many months since the last report, so here it is.  

Fall Changes - Occurred Sep 4, 2017

Routes 991, 995, 996, 997, 998 and 999 have been renumbered to 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 respectively. Night services 7 and 9 now have an added prefix, renumbered to N7 and N9.

A small warehouse has been built within the Theobald Depot, where older and heritage buses will be stored. These older units will only be used if no other spare units are available. Our heritage trolleybus, our oldest 40ft, 60ft and shuttle bus have been stored inside.

Routes (Updated):

1 Theobald Station/UHR (Universiy of Hillrose) via Four Road  (45min peak Shuttle) (3)

5 Downtown/CC (Cabot College) via One Road  (60min peak) (3)

6 Jonas Exchange/Quinten Hwy Connector (10min peak) (8)

7 Dante Station/Jonas Exchange via Two Road (10-12min peak) (8)

8 Dante Station/Hillrose Airport/Hillrose Center via Downtown (21-22min peak) (6)

9 Dante Station/UHR via Three Road (4min peak) (23)

Night Service:

N7 Dante Station/CC/Jonas Exchange/Quinten at 108th Street via Two Road (60min Shuttle - 2am-5am Shuttle)

N9 Downtown/Dante Station/UHR/Hillrose Airport via Three Road (60min)

Due to construction on Three Road, the N9 service will temporarily no longer service the Airport. Route 8 will instead operate extended hours up to 4am. N9 will have decreased service, from 60 minutes to 120 minutes for the time being.

An XDE60 has been ordered for route 9, and is expected to arrive late October.

Please be reminded of the new fare prices effective September 4, 2017:

Adult: $2.75

Students (8-19): $2.00

Seniors (65+): $1.75

Children (0-8): Free