The Canadian Roadgeek

Anyone create their own transit system?

Hey everyone,

Just wondering (and to check if I'm a weirdo), does anyone ever tried creating a city and then try creating a transit system for that city?

Does anyone know if there's a transit simulator (other than BVE), that you can create a transit system and then run it?

yes I have created many transits such as

San Burtos Area Transit Authority: serving 1, 100, 000 people in 3 municipalities

- Markton

- Marlborough

- San Burtos

Hollerton Transit

you can check out the "your own transit" thread located in the Transit Lounge sorry I can't provide a link I'm not good with links

Well, i use trainz 2006 link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainz It only has very small amount of north american buses ( MTA orion v/ Grey hound) that you have to put invisible tracks on the road, but they have lots of canadian stuff, TTC PCC (45xx), TTC G1 subway, GO trains, and alot of CN/CP etc stuff. You can download routes pre made or make your own. It might not be a "transit sim" but you make your own city, and you could run a transit system.... Or there is a game called "Locomotion" that there is pre made cities, and you make transit/ rail in and to surrounding cities. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/cslocomotion/index.html you can also download new trains/ streetcars and buses (Classic/newlook/TTC PCC/ CLRV/ ALRV/ via rail trains/ CN/CP/ GO etc!) Hope this helps a bit. ;):P

I've drawn maps of cities that don't exist and, when bored, drawn bus routes over top of them. I've also designed several new transit systems for my own city.

I've drawn maps of cities that don't exist and, when bored, drawn bus routes over top of them. I've also designed several new transit systems for my own city.

thats what I do, although for trhe San Burtos I use Sim City it was the best 3 cities I had going I got a huge peice of land and named it San Burtos County and the and was made into a triangle and San Burtos, Markton and Marlborough each got a section with a a highway connecting in a circle, I had San Burtos Commuter as well as the Green Rocket which was San Burtos County's Rapid Transit

I had

3 Subway Lines (Davids, Jackson/Hunt, and Marlborough East)

3 LRT Lines (Airport, South End, Downtown)

4 BRT Lines (Red, Yellow, Blue and Orange)

3 Heavy Rail Lines (Malborough, San Burtos North, Markton)

196 Regular All Day Routes

46 Rus Hour Only Routes

66 Express Routes

140 School Specials

700 40ft Buses

150 60ft Buses (BRT)

200 30ft Buses (Airport/School Specials/Countryside Routes

Sadly a power surge hit my computer and wiped everything out I had everything from the routes and fleet to the livery and interior style of the bus I was going to start on the schedules but I hate doing those. I still might have the routes and fleet in the "your own transit" thread but I'm not 100% sure

Legoland and District Transit System (LDTS)

It's actually 'operating' in my basement... I have an area set up. I originally had an area around Ace/Hwy 515/Legoville/Suburbs stations built up, but had to dismantle it, and the next area that was built up was between Chaplin and City Hall (even had an elevated guideway for the trains at Chaplin!).

Click on these links for maps (it won't let me directly put them here)

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/YRTeen/LDTS/Maps/ldtsmap1.bmp (Subway/Rapid Transit)

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/YRTeen/LDTS/Maps/ldtsmap2.bmp (Day Bus Service)

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/YRTeen/LDTS/Maps/ldtsmap3.bmp (Night Service)

I do this through the paper buses I've built. It features about 100 buses and a light rail system. I've also done up a map.

I do the same thing! I added a whole new section to lower New York State. This new section is compleate with counties, cities, towns, villages, and of course the LNYRTD(Lower New York Regional Transit District). I am in the process of making a website based on the LNYRTD compleate with time tables, maps, bus info, and lightrail info. Some of you might think i'm a bit too into this, :P but what can I say?! I'm The Don of All Buses!! ;)

I'm creating the Redpit Island Transit Authority... (R.I.T.A.) I'm working on maps and stuff. The city uses TTC equipment. I will make a map later. :P

I actually drew maps of an imaginary regional municipality and all its residential areas, commericial areas, industrial, etc. etc.. And the roads, bus terminals. Then I figure out the population, then I draw a big map of transit system with subways / BRT / conventional transit. Then I make the timetables and platform layouts for my bus terminals, and create made-up statistics for each bus route. I usually update it every 4 months, and like the YRT \ VIVA, I create newsletters ("MyTransit") for my own transit system.

But unfortunately, all of these are done by hand, I'm not that talented with computer drawing software programs. Maybe someone can teach me?

Legoland and District Transit System (LDTS)

It's actually 'operating' in my basement... I have an area set up. I originally had an area around Ace/Hwy 515/Legoville/Suburbs stations built up, but had to dismantle it, and the next area that was built up was between Chaplin and City Hall (even had an elevated guideway for the trains at Chaplin!).

Click on these links for maps (it won't let me directly put them here)

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/YRTeen/LDTS/Maps/ldtsmap1.bmp (Subway/Rapid Transit)

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/YRTeen/LDTS/Maps/ldtsmap2.bmp (Day Bus Service)

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/YRTeen/LDTS/Maps/ldtsmap3.bmp (Night Service)

I did the same thing back when I was like 9. I had 3 subway lines and like 10 bus routes or something like that. And again, all maps for me are hand-drawn, and I think I've lost them all :P

simcity 4 iirc that with the rush hour pack you just drive the bus, not operate it in any transit sense, only good if you wanna drive it like you stole it

Not really anything to brag about but...

map.jpg

1346 buses, 23 highway coaches, 366 trolley coaches, 70 minibuses. 14 metro lines + various suburban/intercity rail lines etc...

The layout of that city looks sort of like Barrie

is simcity 4 with the rush hour pack worth getting..is there enough transit in it that you can control(ie something like traffic giant)??

I love sim city 4 it has a lot of options.

My brother got a game for4 his birthday called 18 Wheels of Steel pedel to the medal and its about trucking and I tell ya this game is has pretty good quality way better then any bus driving games

what is everyone else using to create these systems?? thanks

Initially I drew everything by hand. Then I started using MS Paint (hense the low-quality resolution of my maps). I don't have anything fancier like Photoshop to do better with, but Paint suits my needs just fine.

is simcity 4 with the rush hour pack worth getting..is there enough transit in it that you can control(ie something like traffic giant)??

I have the SimCity 4 Rush Hour Pack. You can design transportation systems. But when I play SimCity 4, the focus is not the public transit, but rather building a city with more population.

I got to start learning how to use InkScape/ConceptDraw/Visio to draw maps now.

Just wondering (and to check if I'm a weirdo), does anyone ever tried creating a city and then try creating a transit system for that city?

Yes I have created my own transit system. My main city is Ridgecliffe which is operated by Ridgecliffe Transit. To the east is a newer suburban city called Bronson Heights which is operated by Valley East Transit. I also have my own timetables for all Ridgecliffe Transit routes. I been working on this system for a long time and it's still a work in progress

fall96.jpg

fall96.jpg

post-35-1225730149_thumb.jpg

post-35-1225730149_thumb.jpg

Yes I have created my own transit system. My main city is Ridgecliffe which is operated by Ridgecliffe Transit. To the east is a newer suburban city called Bronson Heights which is operated by Valley East Transit. I also have my own timetables for all Ridgecliffe Transit routes. I been working on this system for a long time and it's still a work in progress

I've been doing that too. I have a very very big region called Gravenhurst (named after where my cottage is...). The region is about 110,000 squared kilometres, as big as Thunder Bay District, I think, or about the size of Ohio. Really big, eh?

Since I'm into urban design as well, I made an interregional transit system (like GO Train) as well. Also, I am a strong believer that there should be more than one transit system in a city, just to "start up" a competition, and so that both transit systems will try to do their best and provide better service. I'm also a strong believer at P3 relationships for transit system as well.

I also had my timetables set up too, but I'm beginning to think my transit system's frequency might be a little too frequent. For Route 2A for example, I had it run at a rate of 2 minutes in rush hours.

Perhaps you could replace the higher frequency bus routes with LRT or subways? Maps with a mix of systems are always pretty neat.

Here is one I created for Thunder Bay, an LRT on our CN right of way superimposed on current bus routes:

transitvisionscaledkc0.png

It's a work in progress.

Perhaps you could replace the higher frequency bus routes with LRT or subways? Maps with a mix of systems are always pretty neat.

Here is one I created for Thunder Bay, an LRT on our CN right of way superimposed on current bus routes:

It's a work in progress.

Well, my subway map isn't as beautiful as yours, cause it's done on paint... but here it is...

The%20Linx%20Subway%20Map%20Summer%2008.PNG