Sign in to follow this  
Bus Driver

Seat Belts

Starting November 1, 2008 Saskatoon Transit will be requiring Operators to buckle up.

I don't have a problem with this however, some of the operators do.

What do you think?

Makes sense to me. A year from now most of those who were against but went along with the rule would probably have forgotten the controversy even existed, and the few who continue to resist will probably face little to no penalty for not wearing them.

I'm not sure if they are required to in Calgary, but I can only recall one or two drivers that I've seen not wearing a seat belt out of all the drivers I've ever seen, which makes me think its required here.

I don't think Strathcona County Transit requires its operators to belt up, but I know a lot to while some don't. I think its a good thing for safety. I would even go for belt for passengers, but that's a little harder to enforce.

I don't think Strathcona County Transit requires its operators to belt up, but I know a lot to while some don't. I think its a good thing for safety. I would even go for belt for passengers, but that's a little harder to enforce.

Bus drivers are not required to buckle up here except when on the highway. therefor strathcona drivers driving to edmonton should have their buckles on by law.

Here in Mississauga, it is not required that operators use their seatbelts due to the fact that they would restrict them from escaping an assault.

I'm not sure if they are required to in Calgary, but I can only recall one or two drivers that I've seen not wearing a seat belt out of all the drivers I've ever seen, which makes me think its required here.

Nope! Not required here in Calgary. And most operators here do not wear them from what I've seen....

Here in Mississauga, it is not required that operators use their seatbelts due to the fact that they would restrict them from escaping an assault.

Same with Calgary. Taxi Driver's are apparently required to wear their belts if no customers are in the vehicle, but if there are customers in the vehicle, then it is the taxi driver's decision to wear them or not.

Nope! Not required here in Calgary. And most operators here do not wear them from what I've seen....

Same with Calgary. Taxi Driver's are apparently required to wear their belts if no customers are in the vehicle, but if there are customers in the vehicle, then it is the taxi driver's decision to wear them or not.

Same thing in Toronto. Some TTC drivers wear seatbelts, but I can't explain why. Maybe one of my fellow members can.

That is one of the arguments that some operators have, the assault. It doesn't happen here that much. It's been awhile sence I've herd of one. Are assaults a problem in Mississauga?

In Brandon operators aren't. I'm not sure of the reason?

Most operators don't wear seat belts as the bus is safe enough during the accident.

However, in California or the Federal (forgot) that it's manditory to wear the seat belts as one of the LA bus driver was ejected from the window from the serious accident and died!

Most operators don't wear seat belts as the bus is safe enough during the accident.

However, in California or the Federal (forgot) that it's manditory to wear the seat belts as one of the LA bus driver was ejected from the window from the serious accident and died!

I know of operators when involved in collisions that they've been thrown out of the operator seat!

I've heard of several instances where drivers have been thrown out of their seat. One where a driver actually was thrown out of the driver's window and then run over by his own bus.

In one instance the driver was thrown to the floor, and it was a good thing because he/she would have been impaled by a tree otherwise.

Traffic is faster and less forgiving than it used to be. More people taking chances with the bus. Respect for transit is gone, be it on the road or on the bus.

I still think it should be up to the operator (in situations where it is not mandatory) whether he /she wants to buckle up or not.

Are you kidding me? What if the bus rolls over? A CBL driver I knew rolled his bus on the Coquihalla Highway a few months ago and was thrown out the exit door of his bus. Sadly, he didn't survive the accident, although I never heard if the cause of his death was injuries related to the accident, or a pre-existing medical condition.

Are you kidding me? What if the bus rolls over? A CBL driver I knew rolled his bus on the Coquihalla Highway a few months ago and was thrown out the exit door of his bus. Sadly, he didn't survive the accident, although I never heard if the cause of his death was injuries related to the accident, or a pre-existing medical condition.

Motorcoaches do have to wear seat belts as you drive for long distance. Transit however is a different story.

How do you get around the law in Ontario that requires operators of motor vehicles to wear a seatbelt?

Current Seatbelt Laws in Ontario

- The Highway Traffic Act (HTA) requires drivers and passengers

occupying positions for which a seatbelt assembly is provided to wear

seatbelts "in a properly adjusted and securely fastened manner.

Don't get me wrong, I do not wear my seatbelt when operating a transit bus. (I agree with the notion of it restricting me in the event of an assault .................. do I know what's going to happen? Is this individual "stable"? Did they take their "meds" today? I don't know, and I'll err on the side of safety ......... MINE.

Has anyone in Ontario tested this in Court yet?

I think it is a good idea or put in some air bags

What air bags? Buses you don't need air bags!

Air bags? Yeah, buses do not need air bags, do big rigs have air bags? No!

The small community buses in Victoria, BC have seat belts now. The latest 2009/2010 E-450's have them. The operator actually told me to buckle up, what a joke!