"More Buses Now!"

Citaro

"More Buses Now!"   

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the "More Buses Now!" campaign?

• Yes
    • Somewhat Support
    • Somewhat Oppose
    • No

Hey Guys,

Today when I was coming home from Metrotown, I picked up a "More Buses Now!" campaign flyer, and read through it. It outlined everything wrong in our bus service, in relation to Toronto and Montreal. It was a very interesting read, and I soon engaged in a discussion with the bus driver who added details. He said that when he started his shift he put 10 flyers in each bin, and by noon only four remained on the bus. They obviously have many supporters which he also added in our discussion. In the flyer there was a small letter that they wanted you to sign (postage already paid for) and send to the Canadian Auto Workers, Local 111. All you needed to do was sign it, and fill in the return address, so I filled all that out in a flash. They also have a website up and running: http://www.morebusesnow.com/

This discussion is just to post your opinions, any thoughts and/or concerns, and maybe tell why you support or oppose this campaign.

Here's a picture of the flyer:

IMG_0527.JPG

I support this campaign, because I see this problem because I live right by SFU, and I share my School Special bus stop with the 144 SFU bus and I see buses pass the stop full of people packed like sardines in a tin can. I also occasionally go up to SFU and ride on the 135 or 145, and see the problem too. People at SFU have to wait for what seems like hours to get on their bus, and usually they even have to go up to the SFU Exchange, just so that they can get on. Even my School Special had 7 people in front of the red line one day! The driver said that that's his record. My only concern is that Translink is in debt or a shortfall, which is what they mention on the news quite often. I also don't see it being an easy task to house 500 extra buses...

Drivers, not as much but I do recall hearing that they don't have as much as they would like to. The bus driver I talked to also said, that sometimes they don't have enough buses for the drivers, and as a result they still get paid just to sit around.

I agree with the campaign in principle, but it is funny timings with rather substantial additions coming to our fleet over the next three or so years. We're looking at over 200 Nova DE40LFS, more E60LFRs and DE60LFRs. Simultaneously a large number of vehicles that aren't old enough to retire will be displaced by the Canada Line opening somewhat soon. This will lead to fleet expansion.

So, I voted, somewhat support.

I agree with the campaign in principle, but it is funny timings with rather substantial additions coming to our fleet over the next three or so years. We're looking at over 200 Nova DE40LFS, more E60LFRs and DE60LFRs. Simultaneously a large number of vehicles that aren't old enough to retire will be displaced by the Canada Line opening somewhat soon. This will lead to fleet expansion.

So, I voted, somewhat support.

Is Nova DE40LFS a Vancouver designation of some sort? Cause that is the New Flyer naming system, took me a moment to figure out what you were refering to. I believe Nova Bus LFS HEV is the correct designation of the model.

• 1 month later...