Pacific Coach Lines

C2045

you are right canuck...MC8 and 9 have been the mainstay of the PCL fleet until just recently. I believe they were the largest operator of MC 8 and 9 Ive been able to find anywhere in Canada for sure...! That is the main reason they used them cause theirs so little wear and tear and they rack up very few miles that they have lasted longer than most others in Canada or Us for that matter.

The ex Gray Line coaches that Wilson has were same type of thing....they were only used Seasonally for the most part by Gray Line something like 4-5 months a year so many of them are same as PCL's. low mileage..!

you are right canuck...MC8 and 9 have been the mainstay of the PCL fleet until just recently. I believe they were the largest operator of MC 8 and 9 Ive been able to find anywhere in Canada for sure...! That is the main reason they used them cause theirs so little wear and tear and they rack up very few miles that they have lasted longer than most others in Canada or Us for that matter.

The ex Gray Line coaches that Wilson has were same type of thing....they were only used Seasonally for the most part by Gray Line something like 4-5 months a year so many of them are same as PCL's. low mileage..!

I can think of about ten sound business reasons why you would not want to run an MC-9 on this type of service in 2015.

I can think of only one reason why you would... minimal cost of capital asset acquisition.

That being said, if the only way you can make these numbers work is through the purchase of a 35 year old motorcoach at bargain basement rates, then you've got bigger problems.

A few years ago during a labour dispute, Pacific Coach Lines removed the apportioned plates from their buses meaning that they can't leave the province of BC. At this point they began funnelling the charter work to Cantrail. I know the union filed a "Common Employer" complaint with the Labour Relations Board but I never heard the outcome of that complaint.

And the ferries.

B.C. Ferries is downplaying the likelihood of service disruptions stemming from a bus drivers’ labour dispute.

The union representing drivers at Pacific Coach Lines, which provides bus service between Victoria and Vancouver using B.C. Ferries, has said picket lines could go up at ferry terminals during the holidays.

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/b-c-ferries-says-disruptions-unlikely-from-bus-labour-dispute-1.2135975

Yes that would cause a major headache for Greyhound Canada in Vancouver and Victoria...and Whistler..even if BCF does get an injunction they could always picket outside the ferry grounds...and I don't think BCF would cross either way. It will also affect Tofino Bus in Victoria also.

BC Ferries terminals aren't the work sites of the PCL union employees, so BCFS could quite legitimately have them removed expeditiously if they picketed the terminal. From a political perspective it would also be a terrible idea for the union to disrupt travel for what is, unfortunately, a minor matter for all but those directly involved.

PCL seems to have suffered years of terrible management, of which this is apart. I'm not terribly sad to see their unreliable overpriced service leave the Island for a genuinely local company that's demonstrated substantially better flexibility and pricing in local markets.

• 2 weeks later...