New Flyer Xcelsior

Halifax_Route10

Is there perhaps some aerodynamic benefit from the roof rails as well?

Absolutely, positively, none. There isn't much aerodynamic benefit to be had on a bus to begin with, and the only way to improve it up topside would be to fully enclose everything above the roof rails.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, that's it.

All those holes in the walking beam to save weight leave me uneasy about its long term integrity.

Nothing to do with the brakes, I do prefer drums, but heave duty disc brakes have improved markedly. Fewer seized calipers, consistent slack adjustment, shoe lifespan etc... And of course, they do weigh less.

Gonna find out how good they are soon enough. The novabus artics we're getting will have them on all 6 wheels, no optional drum brakes available.

Yep, that's it.

All those holes in the walking beam to save weight leave me uneasy about its long term integrity.

Nothing to do with the brakes, I do prefer drums, but heave duty disc brakes have improved markedly. Fewer seized calipers, consistent slack adjustment, shoe lifespan etc... And of course, they do weigh less.

Gonna find out how good they are soon enough. The novabus artics we're getting will have them on all 6 wheels, no optional drum brakes available.

These will be the first buses to have all wheel disc brakes since the Orion VI?

Do you know if the 8300 have all wheel disc brakes?

Haven't seen too many interior photos of the 60 foot Xcelsiors (there are no Xcelsior coaches with my local agency), but are the front-and-reverse facing seats a standard option for seating over the 2nd wheel wells? Seems like a polarizing choice. I've always thought that New Flyer should be able to shoehorn two front facing rows over the 2nd wheel wells on coaches like the D60LFs if the platforms over the wheel wells were a little higher.

Haven't seen too many interior photos of the 60 foot Xcelsiors (there are no Xcelsior coaches with my local agency), but are the front-and-reverse facing seats a standard option for seating over the 2nd wheel wells? Seems like a polarizing choice. I've always thought that New Flyer should be able to shoehorn two front facing rows over the 2nd wheel wells on coaches like the D60LFs if the platforms over the wheel wells were a little higher.

There's two options so far for that area:

2 forward facing plus 1 side facing (ZUM has this)

2 forward facing plus 2 backward facing (NYCMTA has this)

Thanks for the info on that.

One of the "selling points" of the Xcelsior model during its introduction was the ability to allow more front facing seating. I hoped that the newer 60 foot model would be able to match the 40 footer in that regard, but the middle axle does make things difficult.

It does have more forward facing seats than the 60LF model.

Besides the wheelchair seats at the front and the backward OR sideway facing seats above the middle wheel, all other seats can be configured to be forward facing in the Xcelsior artic model.

The 60LF on the other hand had to have sideway facing seats above the middle wheel, opposite the rear doors (due to fuel tank), and above the rear wheels.

So to answer your question, it does exceed the number of forward facing seats compared to the 40ft Xcelsior.

• 2 weeks later...

They've been up there since the d40lf came about. Nova has a similar arrangement.

Orion placed 2 tanks longitudinally in the top of the engine compartment ( each tank has internal dividers, effectively making 4 tanks)

And one tank roughly directly under the driver's seat, again with internal compartments.