New Flyer Xcelsior

Halifax_Route10

There has been a New Flyer test bus of some sort on the street this week. I should have got the camera phone out to snap a picture. Didn't get a very good look either, other than it's done up in the same paint scheme as the Xcelsior demos, with the same windows, but it has a LFR front end and roofline, plus a bare sheet metal box on the roof toward the rear. Another driver was telling me he thought it looked shorter as well, so possibly a 35 foot bus.

I saw that one yesterday!!! So, it is an Xcelsior!!! Did it go to Winnipeg Transit to try out?

That's the Den Oudsten X97. There's a thread about it here somewhere. I had posted a link with some information on it.

It used composite materials which could have aided in designing the Invero or Xcelsior.

Veerkamp says it's an X98:

http://www.johnveerkamp.com/DenOudsten/index-DenOudsten.html

I remember reading a prototype LF bus was sold during Den Oudsten's bankruptcy. I'm not too surprised that NF bought it, especially if it played a part in product development. From the looks of it, the body structure (sans caps) resembles an Invero...

Found this:

"Den Oudsten Bussen created the RET X-98 which was to enter revenue service in Rotterdam, but aside from stirring momentary interest at a few shows, the modular vehicle could not save the company from bankruptcy. The Fokker-Stork body technology was licensed to APT Systems in Helmond NL which was incorporated into the Phileas, which has achieved little success. The license for the Fokker Stork body technology is held in North America by New Flyer but this again has achieved no commercial success."

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090230729

• 5 months later...

So, I'm having difficulty understanding which demonstration unit is which:

from wiki:

New_Flyer_Industries_Xcelsior_demo-a.jpg

This is the first one that was in the Transit Expo. Do we know about it's whereabouts? Notice that this one has an added stripe in the mid section of the bus

New_Flyer_Industries_Xcelsior_demo-c.jpg

This would be the second one that has demonstrated in Vancouver and various other places across the country. Do we also know where this one is? SteveP's pictures suggest that it is in Red Deer by it not having a stripe.

This one I would assume to be the third and most recent one judging by it having a black bumper and a rear window. This one has last been seen in Winnipeg doing test runs, but hasn't been seen in a few weeks.

from wiki:

{option}http://cptdb.ca/wiki/images/2/2b/New_Flyer_Industries_Xcelsior_demo-a.jpg

This is the first one that was in the Transit Expo. Do we know about it's whereabouts? Notice that this one has an added stripe in the mid section of the bus

{option}http://cptdb.ca/wiki/images/d/de/New_Flyer_Industries_Xcelsior_demo-c.jpg

This would be the second one that has demonstrated in Vancouver and various other places across the country. Do we also know where this one is? SteveP's pictures suggest that it is in Red Deer by it not having a stripe.

This one I would assume to be the third and most recent one judging by it having a black bumper and a rear window. This one has last been seen in Winnipeg doing test runs, but hasn't been seen in a few weeks.

I personally believe that either of the first two went for altoona testing, which, as you probably know, is necessary in order for NFI to sell that model. The last time I read in the Winnipeg thread, the third one was being used for ISL9 certification purposes. NFI recently became the first manufacturer to become fully certified on the ISL9 and its 2010 components according to their website.

• Board Admin

from wiki:

The one in the west here that has visited Edmonton and Red Deer has the number in the windshield SR1321. This could be that one I have a picture of, or a totally new unit.

The one in Winnipeg you linked with the black bumper and rear window is apparently SR1420.

I am not sure which one is out in the Ontario area - anyone have pictures? This could be the one with the stripe.

The mirror arms are different too in Ashton's picture and that is the one that was in Red Deer. I have some better pics too that I'll post separately.

Here are some better pictures of the Xcelsior when it was in Red Deer on May 26.

P5260010.jpgP5260011.jpgP5260012.jpg

P5260013.jpgP5260020.jpgP5260021.jpg

P5260024.jpgP5260025.jpgP5260027.jpg