New Flyer Xcelsior

Halifax_Route10

With seats on all the wheel/engine covers, it's quite possible.

Do you mean, a Layout thats like the Viva buses in YRT, the AG300's have seats Everywhere, on wheels/engine covers with little steps up to the seats, I like the layout, I am hoping that NFI will do that sometime, as it fits A LOT of people in the bus.. both Able-Bodied and disabled, the front "BIG Seat" by the front door is nice too, not only for disabled but for chubby people too.

Someone wanted a interior of a OC VI? I'll give you a interior

P8200380.JPG

As you can see they aren't that bad. But I do admit they do suck on heavy ridership routes. That is a no brainer, I wouldn't ride a VI on the 95 or 97 (remember that Double T?) any day.

PS yes your seeing things right, the seats on the wheel are different from the seats on the rest of the bus, which is why I don't like to sit on top of the wheel.

the ng headlamp assemblies are actually mercedes parts (they have the company logo cast into the backside)

that asid, everything else is made by truck-lite.

On a side, the Blue Bird Vision 2nd gen. have Volvo headlamps.

An Orion VI that seats 38 people? Pictures, please. I must see that.

Search "2001 Oakville Orion VI"

Someone wanted a interior of a OC VI? I'll give you a interior

P8200380.JPG

As you can see they aren't that bad. But I do admit they do suck on heavy ridership routes. That is a no brainer, I wouldn't ride a VI on the 95 or 97 (remember that Double T?) any day.

PS yes your seeing things right, the seats on the wheel are different from the seats on the rest of the bus, which is why I don't like to sit on top of the wheel.

That must be a newer version, it has "Orion VII seats". Our VIs have the ones with plain metal backs like the Newflyers. (Before I joined this site, I couldn't tell the difference between a VI and a D40LF!) The rear door must also be a benefit, ours have middle doors and that takes up a bit of space. I've been on them when they're crowded before and its terrible, especially if all the windows are closed and the heat is on.

That must be a newer version, it has "Orion VII seats". Our VIs have the ones with plain metal backs like the Newflyers. (Before I joined this site, I couldn't tell the difference between a VI and a D40LF!) The rear door must also be a benefit, ours have middle doors and that takes up a bit of space. I've been on them when they're crowded before and its terrible, especially if all the windows are closed and the heat is on.
Yeah the rear door placement really encourages people to move to the back at least. Also it's because of the rear door placement this bus works well on one particular route, the 6, when Glebe gets out, as everyone rides it pretty much 2 stops so everyone gets on, then everyone gets off.

The booking they put a Invero on that run it was a disaster, as it interrupted the regular flow of things on that route.

Dont forget that the NG VIIs headlights somewhat resemble those of the original D40LF (yes the VII and V also but), not to mention the D40HF, the D901, and so on. NFI was using the square headlights before anyone was (D901/D40HF vs Orion I). Not to mention that the NG VII gets the turn signal location straight from the D40LF and D40HF.

Wait... the VII-NG got its headlights from a D40LF?! :D:D

Wait... the VII-NG got its headlights from a D40LF?! :D:D

No, he said: NG VIIs headlights somewhat resemble those of the original D40LF (yes the VII and V also but), not to mention the D40HF, the D901, and so on.

It is really getting lame reading everyone accusing bus manfuactures of ripping off each others designs.

No, he said: NG VIIs headlights somewhat resemble those of the original D40LF (yes the VII and V also but), not to mention the D40HF, the D901, and so on.

It is really getting lame reading everyone accusing bus manfuactures of ripping off each others designs.

I agree, cause if your designing too many different parts, this will go over the mechanic minds on how much different parts to store it!

The reason to have middle door is because of huge snowbanks and drivers visibility when looking at people exiting rear door.

The seating is no difference, about the same number of seats as the rear door.

Oh, speaking of taking parts from other bus models, Thunder Bay Transit's Novabus LFSs use some mirrors from NewFlyer. There was a clause about this in the request for tender documents I read a while back. They had the part number listed and everything.

Maybe YRT will get the Xcelsior as express buses, they send the message of 'premium service'

doubt it will be used exclusively as express buses. They put the Vs on all routes so they would prob do the same if they got the xcelsior....but it would be great if it became the primary bus in the provincial consortium so YRT can buy in bulk!!! :)

doubt it will be used exclusively as express buses. They put the Vs on all routes so they would prob do the same if they got the xcelsior....but it would be great if it became the primary bus in the provincial consortium so YRT can buy in bulk!!! :)

If they order the Xcelsior, this means you won't see D40LF anymore as J.Boic mentioned both old and restyled will be killed two birds in one stone!

If they order the Xcelsior, this means you won't see D40LF anymore as J.Boic mentioned both old and restyled will be killed two birds in one stone!
So pretty much this is the Invero all over again? Except the Invero failed, this is too early to tell.

• Root Admin
So pretty much this is the Invero all over again? Except the Invero failed, this is too early to tell.

The Xcelsior is based on the 40LFR platform design. Interior wise, its still a "D40LFR", with enhanced exterior, and a few interior changes. I doubt they would have any serious problems with this model. All manufactures are moving to roof top air conditioning units, hence the streamlined roof. So, the Diesel's and CNG's would all look the same.

Probably not a failure, its just like calling a D(E)40LF® a failure. All the Excelsior is, is a DE40LFR with a new look, and improved axles, engine, and hybrid system. The D40i was a BRAND new style of bus with a totally dfferent engine, so I dont think we are in for a failure.

Improved axles, fine, but engine and hybrid system?

An engine or hybrid system you want in a LF or LFR body I'm sure will be avalible in the Excelsior, or vice versa.

Rear windows are nice. There is space on the roof, why not take advantage of it? Our buses have all sorts of things on the roofs now, I have no idea what they are. The VIs and D40LFs had things added to their roofs a while ago but I don't know what they are.

is there a benefit for using roof mounted AC over rear mounted? better air circulation? less work on the engine?

Yes, better air circulations and takes the weight off from the rear.

Rear windows are nice. There is space on the roof, why not take advantage of it? Our buses have all sorts of things on the roofs now, I have no idea what they are. The VIs and D40LFs had things added to their roofs a while ago but I don't know what they are.

The reason to have rear HVAC is because for the mechanics to do repairs. Rooftop is required to climb up!

The Orion VI had no choice to put on the roof due to full flat floor.

The D40LF have heater rooftop modifed as the unrebuild version were too cold, lack of heat!

?? <_< We don't have anything on top of our VIs.