Marine Atlantic's New "Atlantic Vision"

ghYHZ

Marine Atlantic’s new “Atlantic Vision” will soon be entering service between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and it’s one big boat!

It is the former Superfast IX (built: 2002) and until recently operated between Helsinki and Estonia.

Some specs:

203m long

30,000 GT

530 cars

1000 passengers

196 cabins

Speed: 30.4 kn

I believe it will be the largest ferry operating in Canada.

Here’s a link:

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/NewVessel/newvessel.shtml

As a comparison:

Marine Atlantic’s Caribou is 27,212 GT, 179m long, 49 cabins, 350 cars & 1200 passengers.

BC Ferries Spirit Of Vancouver Island is 18,750 GT, 167m long, 470 cars & 2000 passengers

BC Ferries Coastal Inspiration is 21,777 GT, 160m long, 370 cars & 1600 passengers

I guess traffic is so far up on the Newfie routes that they require a larger and faster boat.

When I was last there 8 years or so, there were such backups in traffic that MA had to lease a high-speed car-carrying CAT, on top of the Caribou, Smallwood and the Erickson.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

we travelled this summer and rode both the Caribou and the Erickson.

Erickson took 7 hours to cross; Caribou 5.5 and Erickson was "worn" and layout is not as efficient or comfortable as the Caribou.

It could be that MA had to opportunity to acquire a class vessel and not go though a buy new process or like their sister rail operation VIA like to buy used European equipment and convert to Canadian needs.

I'm looking forward to travelling on the Atlantic Vision next time we're east.

When I sailed on the Caribou, both to Port-aux-Basques and back to North Sydney I saw some info on the Atlantic Vision.

When checking in for the return sailing I asked about the future plans.

I was told that the Atlantic Freighter is to be retired and the Leif Erickson will take over as the freight ferry.

This will then leave the Caribou, and Atlantic Vision on the Port-aux-Basques run while the Smallwood will remain on the Argentia run.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Marine Atlantic’s new “Atlantic Vision” will soon be entering service between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and it’s one big boat!

It is the former Superfast IX (built: 2002) and until recently operated between Helsinki and Estonia.

Some specs:

203m long

30,000 GT

530 cars

1000 passengers

196 cabins

Speed: 30.4 kn

I believe it will be the largest ferry operating in Canada.

Here’s a link:

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/NewVessel/newvessel.shtml

As a comparison:

Marine Atlantic’s Caribou is 27,212 GT, 179m long, 49 cabins, 350 cars & 1200 passengers.

BC Ferries Spirit Of Vancouver Island is 18,750 GT, 167m long, 470 cars & 2000 passengers

BC Ferries Coastal Inspiration is 21,777 GT, 160m long, 370 cars & 1600 passengers

We can see how big is this ferry by knowing that the biggest ferries are in use around Europe, where this one came from. I even saw somewhere that the world's biggest ferryboat was in use in the Baltic, this in the late 90's. Today it's the "Color Magic", a cruiseferry owned and operated by Color Cruises.

I liked the livery for these Marine-Atlantic, tough, they remind me a lot about the Disney cruiseships! :lol: