Jump to content

MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion


hl7534
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm guessing that the 2010 LFSA's will be soon replaced (we all know how bad KB's maintenance is), but I'm guessing that'll be by XE60's, based on the MTA's whole "we want to be green" thing. I guess LFSA HEVs could work (as KB has LFS HEVs), but what do y'all think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jova42R said:

I'm guessing that the 2010 LFSA's will be soon replaced (we all know how bad KB's maintenance is), but I'm guessing that'll be by XE60's, based on the MTA's whole "we want to be green" thing. I guess LFSA HEVs could work (as KB has LFS HEVs), but what do y'all think?

There's a 100 electric bus artic order on the way (most likely XE60s). When those arrive sometime around 2024, younger LFSAs and/or XD60s will be shifted around to retire the #1200s (honestly, those buses are shot and need to go). To my understanding, shortly soon after that there will be another larger artic order to retire the 2011-13 LFSAs and 2012-13 XD60s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

There's a 100 electric bus artic order on the way (most likely XE60s). When those arrive sometime around 2024, younger LFSAs and/or XD60s will be shifted around to retire the #1200s (honestly, those buses are shot and need to go). To my understanding, shortly soon after that there will be another larger artic order to retire the 2011-13 LFSAs and 2012-13 XD60s.

It gonna be XE60s idk if there any other electric articulated buses in the market to my knowledge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UMZonk2.png

The new RFP is out for up to 1,729 buses.

https://new.mta.info/document/76796

 

 

1,042 Standard 40-foot buses

345 Articulated 60-foot buses

342 Express coaches

485 Electric low floor buses (460 for NYCT, 25 for MTA Bus)

 

From a Facebook post:

Quote

 

952 buses for NYCT

155 CNG buses
375 Standard 40-foot buses
245 Articulated diesel 60-foot buses
90 Articulated electric 60-foot buses
92 Express coaches

777 buses for MTA Bus
289 Diesel buses
25 Electric buses
213 CNG buses
250 Express coaches

We will also be testing 10 more electric buses. 5 express buses (most likely D45 electrics) and 5 local buses (most likely to be LFS electrics)

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

UMZonk2.png

The new RFP is out for up to 1,729 buses.

https://new.mta.info/document/76796

 

 

1,042 Standard 40-foot buses

345 Articulated 60-foot buses

342 Express coaches

485 Electric low floor buses (460 for NYCT, 25 for MTA Bus)

 

From a Facebook post:

So the 485 electric buses are in addition to the original 375 electric bus order or did they change the order entirely?

In any case, this confirms the pending 368 CNG bus order that I mentioned a while ago, though the 210 additional hybrid buses appear to now be off the table.

Those 375 new diesel buses are likely coming to kill atleast some of the 2014-2015 New Flyer XD40s and 2015-2016 Nova LFS's as by that time (circa 2025), those will probably be the oldest buses in the system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

MTA retires buses like around 11 or 12 years old?

 

Until a few years ago, it was between 15-20 years of age (CNGs varied). Now, it's more between 12 and 14 years of age. They seem to be following NICE's lead.

Honestly, I think part of the reason for this is really 3 factors: 1, they as we know want to quickly become electric ready, and as such, they will want to retire as many Diesel and hybrid buses as possible to aid in the transition. 2, They simply just don't build buses like they used to 20-30 years ago. The bodies just don't hold up as well anymore and the 2000s and early 2010s tech quickly becomes obsolete, hence why so many Orion 7s are being retired now. They were gimmicky in nature. 3, The fact that these buses are low Floor, really speeds up their age and deteriorate faster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

2006 Orion 7.501 OG hybrid #6747 was towed to Eastchester scrap late this afternoon. This bus is done.

Yeah just seen the photo on the NYC forums on here: https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/47568-mta-bus-operations-scrapped-equipment-list/page/144/#comments

Here is my pic of 6747 which was obscured by a truck:

DSC_0065.JPG

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Yeah just seen the photo on the NYC forums on here: https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/47568-mta-bus-operations-scrapped-equipment-list/page/144/#comments

Here is my pic of 6747 which was obscured by a truck:

 

I think it looks fine. As for roster question, All of #6790-6843 have been retired (basically, most of the former East New York depot originals save for #6844-46 which are still in service from Queens Village). About 30 units from #6844 and up are still active out of QV, but I know for a fact that #6903 and #6905 are retired as are many other upper #6800s. These units will all be gone by spring though as more 2009 and 2010 Orion 7.501 NG hybrids get transferred over to QV and MTA bus in general. QV is the last NYCT depot to have Orion 7.501 OG hybrids (and OGs in general), the other remaining depots are all MTA bus.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2022 at 9:50 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

It gonna be XE60s idk if there any other electric articulated buses in the market to my knowledge.

there are BYD K11's but those likely will not be bought.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:17 AM, New Yorker 2001 said:

Who knows for certain? For all we know, the MTA could test out EV LFSAs (if Nova makes them).

Nova doesn't make artic EV's

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

Not yet, but I'd be shocked if Nova doesn't have a electric LFSA in the works.

They don't have a CNG variant either weirdly enough.

I do wonder where these new buses will be numbered as. The 90 EV artics will probably be #4965-5054 and the Diesels will likely get #6287-6531. Everything else is far game at this point, though #3475-4709 will be free by early 2025 (when most of these buses will start arriving). as will #6550-6999.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2022 at 4:30 PM, GojiMet86 said:

UMZonk2.png

The new RFP is out for up to 1,729 buses.

https://new.mta.info/document/76796

 

 

1,042 Standard 40-foot buses

345 Articulated 60-foot buses

342 Express coaches

485 Electric low floor buses (460 for NYCT, 25 for MTA Bus)

 

From a Facebook post:

Any idea when the test D45's and LFSe's will be in NYC?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

They don't have a CNG variant either weirdly enough.

I do wonder where these new buses will be numbered as. The 90 EV artics will probably be #4965-5054 and the Diesels will likely get #6287-6531. Everything else is far game at this point, though #3475-4709 will be free by early 2025 (when most of these buses will start arriving). as will #6550-6999.

Or they could # them in the 9000 series, as with the XDE's and LFS HEV's.

4 minutes ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

Not likely until around 2024-2025...maybe after.

alright

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

Or they could # them in the 9000 series, as with the XDE's and LFS HEV's.

alright

Which bus order? The 375 electrics? I know for a fact that the CNGs won't go there as there isn't enough room in that range. The 368 CNGs could possibly get #100-467 since those lower numbered C40LFs will likely be gone by then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, New Yorker 2001 said:

They don't have a CNG variant either weirdly enough.

 

There is only a limited market for CNG articulated buses, so I'm not surprised.  Nova has had a very good seller with the hybrid LFSA, and battery-electric is the future of the transit bus market so they will be going there for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...