Jump to content

MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion


hl7534
 Share

Recommended Posts

No clue on status but it’s joined by 7065 and a castleton X3-45. There’s also a Mack plow truck there.

How many older D4500s is this the Charleston now… think around 12. Sure this isn’t stocking up the yard for an eventual takeover of SIM23/24?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2021 at 6:53 AM, Len90 said:

No clue on status but it’s joined by 7065 and a castleton X3-45. There’s also a Mack plow truck there.

How many older D4500s is this the Charleston now… think around 12. Sure this isn’t stocking up the yard for an eventual takeover of SIM23/24?

It appears to be the case. Personally, I would of thought that SIM23/24 would go to Meredith.  However, if Charleston is receiving an influx of CL’s part of me thinks it’s to replace the 4300’s. Some are scrapped and some are still in service.  We have until December to find out about the takeover. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NYC2MTL said:

It appears to be the case. Personally, I would of thought that SIM23/24 would go to Meredith.  However, if Charleston is receiving an influx of CL’s part of me thinks it’s to replace the 4300’s. Some are scrapped and some are still in service.  We have until December to find out about the takeover. 

The bus shortages could delay the takeover though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The MTA will be taking over the SIM23 and SIM24 next pick:

 

https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/29211-mta-bus-operations-fleet-depots/?do=findComment&comment=1109250

 

Quote

 

SevenEleven

Posted 5 minutes ago
 

The SIM23 and 24 will be operated out of Charleston Depot next pick, subject to approval by the MTA Board. 

Some 3000s are being transferred to Charleston at the moment to make service and will be replaced when the option order of the Prevosts are delivered. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NYC2MTL said:

It appears to be the case. Personally, I would of thought that SIM23/24 would go to Meredith.  However, if Charleston is receiving an influx of CL’s part of me thinks it’s to replace the 4300’s. Some are scrapped and some are still in service.  We have until December to find out about the takeover. 

This will be fun to watch. Surprised the MTA is scrapping 2200 CTs that are 2008s and the 4300 CLs that are 2007s yet are bringing in the 3000 CLs that are 2005s. Is this a mileage thing with the buses?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Len90 said:

This will be fun to watch. Surprised the MTA is scrapping 2200 CTs that are 2008s and the 4300 CLs that are 2007s yet are bringing in the 3000 CLs that are 2005s. Is this a mileage thing with the buses?

I got a feeling those 2200s/4300s were underperforming buses as well same thing with the 2009 Orion VIIs, some 2009s are retired while the 2008s are still fine. MTA do got a weird way retiring buses younger than their older counterparts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I got a feeling those 2200s/4300s were underperforming buses as well same thing with the 2009 Orion VIIs, some 2009s are retired while the 2008s are still fine. MTA do got a weird way retiring buses younger than their older counterparts.

2008 Orion 7.501 NG hybrids #3871 and #3909 are both now retired. 

The 2008s are starting to go too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I got a feeling those 2200s/4300s were underperforming buses as well same thing with the 2009 Orion VIIs, some 2009s are retired while the 2008s are still fine. MTA do got a weird way retiring buses younger than their older counterparts.

They are likely retiring the worst-performing buses based on maintenance history.  Those newer buses being retired likely have a greater history of road calls and/or unavailability while the older ones still surviving are probably good performers.  Makes a lot of sense to do it this way than to slavishly stick to retiring buses strictly based on chronological age.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RailBus63 said:

They are likely retiring the worst-performing buses based on maintenance history.  Those newer buses being retired likely have a greater history of road calls and/or unavailability while the older ones still surviving are probably good performers.  Makes a lot of sense to do it this way than to slavishly stick to retiring buses strictly based on chronological age.  

True. Was just wondering in all honestly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

They are likely retiring the worst-performing buses based on maintenance history.  Those newer buses being retired likely have a greater history of road calls and/or unavailability while the older ones still surviving are probably good performers.  Makes a lot of sense to do it this way than to slavishly stick to retiring buses strictly based on chronological age.  

For a while, it seemed like they were going to retire all remaining NYCT MCIs (except for the 2012-13 MCI D4500CTs).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2007 Orion 7.501 Next Generation hybrid #3800 (Hybrid pilot bus) is now retired out of Michael J Quill Depot. Guess no NG pilots will be preserved as #1700 (CNG 2008 pilot) was retired months ago from Mitchell Field Depot. However,  2007 Orion 7.501 OG hybrid #3707 is either back in service or was never retired to begin with.  Was spotted on the Q35 IIRC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Chris.A said:

2007 Orion 7.501 Next Generation hybrid #3800 (Hybrid pilot bus) is now retired out of Michael J Quill Depot. Guess no NG pilots will be preserved as #1700 (CNG 2008 pilot) was retired months ago from Mitchell Field Depot. However,  2007 Orion 7.501 OG hybrid #3707 is either back in service or was never retired to begin with.  Was spotted on the Q35 IIRC. 

3800 is not retired. Bus was in the shop for 4 days.  Bus is back in service as of this morning. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MTA bus company 2002 MCI D4500 Cruiser #2926 ( ex#7424, exx NYBS #1803) is not scrapped and was instead preserved as a Museum bus by NJ Heritage Transit Center as once again,  NYBS #1803, the last private line bus retired from service ( unless you count NICE bus  lol).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2021 at 8:41 PM, Chris.A said:

MTA bus company 2002 MCI D4500 Cruiser #2926 ( ex#7424, exx NYBS #1803) is not scrapped and was instead preserved as a Museum bus by NJ Heritage Transit Center as once again,  NYBS #1803, the last private line bus retired from service ( unless you count NICE bus  lol).

Sorry I don't claim to know anything about the history of MTA buses, however this YouTube video shows both # 2926 and # 7426 on the interior.  You mentioned ex # 7424.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...