MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

hl7534

No clue on status but it’s joined by 7065 and a castleton X3-45. There’s also a Mack plow truck there.

How many older D4500s is this the Charleston now… think around 12. Sure this isn’t stocking up the yard for an eventual takeover of SIM23/24?

On 10/28/2021 at 6:53 AM, Len90 said:

No clue on status but it’s joined by 7065 and a castleton X3-45. There’s also a Mack plow truck there.

How many older D4500s is this the Charleston now… think around 12. Sure this isn’t stocking up the yard for an eventual takeover of SIM23/24?

It appears to be the case. Personally, I would of thought that SIM23/24 would go to Meredith.  However, if Charleston is receiving an influx of CL’s part of me thinks it’s to replace the 4300’s. Some are scrapped and some are still in service.  We have until December to find out about the takeover. 

4 hours ago, NYC2MTL said:

It appears to be the case. Personally, I would of thought that SIM23/24 would go to Meredith.  However, if Charleston is receiving an influx of CL’s part of me thinks it’s to replace the 4300’s. Some are scrapped and some are still in service.  We have until December to find out about the takeover. 

The bus shortages could delay the takeover though.

The MTA will be taking over the SIM23 and SIM24 next pick:

https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/29211-mta-bus-operations-fleet-depots/?do=findComment&comment=1109250

SevenEleven

Posted 5 minutes ago

The SIM23 and 24 will be operated out of Charleston Depot next pick, subject to approval by the MTA Board. 

Some 3000s are being transferred to Charleston at the moment to make service and will be replaced when the option order of the Prevosts are delivered. 

9 hours ago, NYC2MTL said:

This will be fun to watch. Surprised the MTA is scrapping 2200 CTs that are 2008s and the 4300 CLs that are 2007s yet are bringing in the 3000 CLs that are 2005s. Is this a mileage thing with the buses?

2 hours ago, Len90 said:

This will be fun to watch. Surprised the MTA is scrapping 2200 CTs that are 2008s and the 4300 CLs that are 2007s yet are bringing in the 3000 CLs that are 2005s. Is this a mileage thing with the buses?

I got a feeling those 2200s/4300s were underperforming buses as well same thing with the 2009 Orion VIIs, some 2009s are retired while the 2008s are still fine. MTA do got a weird way retiring buses younger than their older counterparts.

1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I got a feeling those 2200s/4300s were underperforming buses as well same thing with the 2009 Orion VIIs, some 2009s are retired while the 2008s are still fine. MTA do got a weird way retiring buses younger than their older counterparts.

2008 Orion 7.501 NG hybrids #3871 and #3909 are both now retired. 

The 2008s are starting to go too.

10 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

They are likely retiring the worst-performing buses based on maintenance history.  Those newer buses being retired likely have a greater history of road calls and/or unavailability while the older ones still surviving are probably good performers.  Makes a lot of sense to do it this way than to slavishly stick to retiring buses strictly based on chronological age.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RailBus63 said:

They are likely retiring the worst-performing buses based on maintenance history.  Those newer buses being retired likely have a greater history of road calls and/or unavailability while the older ones still surviving are probably good performers.  Makes a lot of sense to do it this way than to slavishly stick to retiring buses strictly based on chronological age.  

True. Was just wondering in all honestly.

8 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

For a while, it seemed like they were going to retire all remaining NYCT MCIs (except for the 2012-13 MCI D4500CTs).

2007 Orion 7.501 Next Generation hybrid #3800 (Hybrid pilot bus) is now retired out of Michael J Quill Depot. Guess no NG pilots will be preserved as #1700 (CNG 2008 pilot) was retired months ago from Mitchell Field Depot. However,  2007 Orion 7.501 OG hybrid #3707 is either back in service or was never retired to begin with.  Was spotted on the Q35 IIRC. 

16 hours ago, Chris.A said:

2007 Orion 7.501 Next Generation hybrid #3800 (Hybrid pilot bus) is now retired out of Michael J Quill Depot. Guess no NG pilots will be preserved as #1700 (CNG 2008 pilot) was retired months ago from Mitchell Field Depot. However,  2007 Orion 7.501 OG hybrid #3707 is either back in service or was never retired to begin with.  Was spotted on the Q35 IIRC. 

3800 is not retired. Bus was in the shop for 4 days.  Bus is back in service as of this morning. 

MTA bus company 2002 MCI D4500 Cruiser #2926 ( ex#7424, exx NYBS #1803) is not scrapped and was instead preserved as a Museum bus by NJ Heritage Transit Center as once again,  NYBS #1803, the last private line bus retired from service ( unless you count NICE bus  lol).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 8:41 PM, Chris.A said:

MTA bus company 2002 MCI D4500 Cruiser #2926 ( ex#7424, exx NYBS #1803) is not scrapped and was instead preserved as a Museum bus by NJ Heritage Transit Center as once again,  NYBS #1803, the last private line bus retired from service ( unless you count NICE bus  lol).

Sorry I don't claim to know anything about the history of MTA buses, however this YouTube video shows both # 2926 and # 7426 on the interior.  You mentioned ex # 7424.