MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

13 hours ago, Chris.A said:

MTA bus Company is starting to retire their MCI D4500CL buses in mass. College Point depot just scrapped #3041, #3048, #3064, #3122, and #3233. They also recently retired 2001-2002 D4500s #2850 and #2906.

3064 AND 3233 both came out of Spring Creek.  However, all other mentioned numbers are currently from College Point.

• Thanks 1

College Point update:

1315-1318 are present at College Point

1319- Plattsburgh to Secaucus at Service facility being prepped to College Point.

Overall update:

It appears that Kingsbridge will be up first to receive delivery of the new NOVAS.. So far Kingsbridge has sent 4405, 4580, 4581 over to Manhattanville with more to send. I believe 4424 and 4444 have made the trip to Manhattanville. However, I'm unable to confirm this as of this typing.

8 hours ago, NYC2MTL said:

College Point update:

1315-1318 are present at College Point

1319- Plattsburgh to Secaucus at Service facility being prepped to College Point.

Overall update:

It appears that Kingsbridge will be up first to receive delivery of the new NOVAS.. So far Kingsbridge has sent 4405, 4580, 4581 over to Manhattanville with more to send. I believe 4424 and 4444 have made the trip to Manhattanville. However, I'm unable to confirm this as of this typing.

If that's the case, get ready to say goodbye to the remaining 2006 Orion VII OG hybrids on Manhattan island. I believe there's about 97-98 units left between Manhattanville, Michael J Quill, and Mother Clara Hale depots. 

Just now, Chris.A said:

If that's the case, get ready to say goodbye to the remaining 2006 Orion VII OG hybrids on Manhattan island. I believe there's about 97-98 units left between Manhattanville, Michael J Quill, and Mother Clara Hale depots. 

Also, expect some more 2009-2010 Orion VII NG hybrids to be sent to Queen Village as well as they have about 35-40 2007 Orion VII OG Hybrids left over there as well. What will be interesting is what the new Nova LFS diesels will replace on Staten Island (especially at Castleton depot). Perhaps the 2011-2012 Orion VII EPA 3G Clean diesels #7000-7089. If that happens, where will those buses will go? Wild guess, but probably either Brooklyn or Manhattan (or even MTA bus company).

2 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Also, expect some more 2009-2010 Orion VII NG hybrids to be sent to Queen Village as well as they have about 35-40 2007 Orion VII OG Hybrids left over there as well. What will be interesting is what the new Nova LFS diesels will replace on Staten Island (especially at Castleton depot). Perhaps the 2011-2012 Orion VII EPA 3G Clean diesels #7000-7089. If that happens, where will those buses will go? Wild guess, but probably either Brooklyn or Manhattan (or even MTA bus company).

I could see the possibility of 7000-7089 heading to Brooklyn.. Possibly, Flatbush, Ulmer Park or Fresh Pond. Worse case scenario those buses could stay in Staten Island and move some current 82xx and 83xx buses back to The Bronx. However, the most likely will be 7000-7089 are heading to Brooklyn. Can't see them in Manhattan. Although, they do look good in Manhattan.

Ulmer Park has experience with the 3G's so that could be a possibility. I do agree with you with Queens Village could be receiving more NG's..  It all depends how the swaps will go.

The senate has approved a American Rescue Plan that includes $30.5 billion for transit agencies from the Biden $1.9 trillion covid plan. Hopefully this will starve off the doomsday cuts for the time being and hoping that will never actually happen.

https://www.metro-magazine.com/10138210/senate-approves-american-rescue-plan-30-5b-in-transit-relief?fbclid=IwAR2lNNHd0vg5DvVcMhDtVCz6EyXzulO05ZFYcS-amvWGRykn-2HVpmvCO8Y

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

I heard 7000-89 are staying in Staten Island and that they’re only going to move Novas around but hopefully that plan changes

So, is the MTA planning to keep the EPA10 3Gs on Staten Island for the rest of their careers (circa 2025 or so)? I know NICE bus has new fleets on order, the last of which will replace their EPA10 3G CNGs #1840-1884 around 2025-26.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:39 PM, NYC2MTL said:

I could see the possibility of 7000-7089 heading to Brooklyn.. Possibly, Flatbush, Ulmer Park or Fresh Pond. Worse case scenario those buses could stay in Staten Island and move some current 82xx and 83xx buses back to The Bronx. However, the most likely will be 7000-7089 are heading to Brooklyn. Can't see them in Manhattan. Although, they do look good in Manhattan.

Ulmer Park has experience with the 3G's so that could be a possibility. I do agree with you with Queens Village could be receiving more NG's..  It all depends how the swaps will go.

The plan is to eventually send all the 2008 Orion VII NG hybrids to MTA bus company. #3800-3959.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:39 PM, NYC2MTL said:

Sadly, #4560 is officially retired. First NG hybrid to do so, and 4th NG overall to retire (after the ex-MTA CNGs, #1804, #1737 and #1727).

52 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Sadly, #4560 is officially retired. First NG hybrid to do so, and 4th NG overall to retire (after the ex-MTA CNGs, #1804, #1737 and #1727).

So it is retired.. I thought the bus would be covered on some extended warranty.. However, I forgot Orion folded years ago and New Flyer took them over..

On 3/9/2021 at 3:51 PM, Orion6025 said:

I heard 7000-89 are staying in Staten Island and that they’re only going to move Novas around but hopefully that plan changes

If that's the case I could see some Castelton Novas in Queens... If they want to keep the 3G's in Staten Island..

1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

The plan is to eventually send all the 2008 Orion VII NG hybrids to MTA bus company. #3800-3959.

Correct.. That plan is still in effect. They are moving at a snail's pace.. Hopefully, some of these deliveries will put this in motion later this month.  Already Kingsbridge has moved 4405, 4580 and 4581 to Manhattanville. I think 4421 went to Manhattanville too, but unable to confirm at this time.

1319: Plattsburgh to Service Center Secaucus.

RECAP:

As of right now presently- College Point now has 1300, 1302-1319.

Weather is getting a bit warmer. We should expect deliveries to pick up soon. Also, NOVA bus delivery should be commencing soon. Again, Kingsbridge appears to be making space for the buses. If all indicators are correct Manhattanville could get all of Kingsbridge's current NG fleet, and moving some of their 3800's to MTA bus until they (MHV) receive delivery.

49 minutes ago, NYC2MTL said:

So it is retired.. I thought the bus would be covered on some extended warranty.. However, I forgot Orion folded years ago and New Flyer took them over..

If that's the case I could see some Castelton Novas in Queens... If they want to keep the 3G's in Staten Island..

Correct.. That plan is still in effect. They are moving at a snail's pace.. Hopefully, some of these deliveries will put this in motion later this month.  Already Kingsbridge has moved 4405, 4580 and 4581 to Manhattanville. I think 4421 went to Manhattanville too, but unable to confirm at this time.

1319: Plattsburgh to Service Center Secaucus.

RECAP:

As of right now presently- College Point now has 1300, 1302-1319.

Weather is getting a bit warmer. We should expect deliveries to pick up soon. Also, NOVA bus delivery should be commencing soon. Again, Kingsbridge appears to be making space for the buses. If all indicators are correct Manhattanville could get all of Kingsbridge's current NG fleet, and moving some of their 3800's to MTA bus until they (MHV) receive delivery.

#4560 is about 11 years old, so even if Orion was still around, it would not be covered.

7 hours ago, Len90 said:

What is the reason for moving buses off of staten island to other boroughs after they hit a certain age? 

buses accrue mileage quickly in staten island, they moves are to keep the average mileage of the buses in each depot roughly equal. Move things off the island to a place where they'll run less miles per day,  move things onto the island that have low mileage. there's not really a certain age for moving things off staten island, it might look like that though because recently a lot of SI buses have been transferred to other garages across the city and because of talk of the 2011s following suit.

6 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

buses accrue mileage quickly in staten island, they moves are to keep the average mileage of the buses in each depot roughly equal. Move things off the island to a place where they'll run less miles per day,  move things onto the island that have low mileage. there's not really a certain age for moving things off staten island, it might look like that though because recently a lot of SI buses have been transferred to other garages across the city and because of talk of the 2011s following suit.

If it were due to age, alot of those now retired 1999 Orion 5.501s (#6000-6349) would have left the Island around 2004-2005 just before their overhauls.

The final EIS report for LGA Access has been released:

https://www.lgaaccesseis.com/

https://www.lgaaccesseis.com/final-eis-document

The relevant N/W Astoria line alternatives and why they were rejected:

http://ricondoprojects.com/LGAAccess/final/5-LGA_Final EIS_02_Alternatives_20210312.pdf

2.6.3.1 ALTERNATIVE 8A: FROM ASTORIA BOULEVARD SUBWAY STATION: ELEVATED ABOVE ASTORIA BOULEVARD AND GRAND CENTRAL PARKWAY ALTERNATIVE

This alternative would have a material effect on major transportation facilities and major utilities. Specifically, this alternative would result in the need to modify the Hell Gate rail trestle, would result in a permanent reduction in service at the Astoria Boulevard Subway Station and the Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard Subway Station, would require the permanent closure of travel lanes on Astoria Boulevard and the GCP, and would affect existing major underground utility lines. Additionally, this alternative would disrupt peak-hour operation of the Amtrak Northeast Corridor and the N-W Lines during construction. As a result, this alternative would not be reasonable to construct and operate and was eliminated from further consideration.

2.6.3.2 ALTERNATIVE 8B: FROM ASTORIA-DITMARS BOULEVARD SUBWAY STATION: ELEVATED ABOVE 31ST STREET AND 19TH AVENUE ALTERNATIVE

This alternative would have a material effect on major transportation facilities and major utilities. Specifically, this alternative would result in the temporary closure of a portion of 31st Street and 19th Avenue and would affect existing major underground utility lines. Avoiding the material effect on major utilities would result in the permanent closure of travel lanes on a portion of 31st Street. As a result, this alternative would not be reasonable to construct and operate and was eliminated from further consideration.

2.6.3.3 ALTERNATIVE 8C: FROM ASTORIA-DITMARS BOULEVARD SUBWAY STATION: TUNNEL BENEATH 31ST STREET AND 19TH AVENUE ALTERNATIVE

This alternative would have a material effect on major transportation facilities and major utility lines. Specifically, this alternative would result in the permanent closure of a portion of 31st Street, would result in the permanent loss of parking on a portion of 31st Street, and would affect existing major underground utility lines. Additionally, this alternative would disrupt peak-hour subway, rail, and/or transit service during construction, including Amtrak Northeast Corridor service and the N-W Lines. As a result, this alternative would not be reasonable to construct and operate and was eliminated from further consideration.

2.6.3.4 ALTERNATIVE 8D: FROM ASTORIA-DITMARS BOULEVARD SUBWAY STATION: ELEVATED ABOVE DITMARS BOULEVARD AND GRAND CENTRAL PARKWAY ALTERNATIVE

To provide a general cost for subway construction, the average per mile cost of $976.0 million for elevated subways and $1.09 billion for underground subways was used. On this basis, the 1.89-mile elevated subway and the 0.61-mile underground subway in this alternative would cost approximately $2.51 billion, which is less than two and a half times the estimated $2.05 billion cost associated with the Port Authority’s proposed alternative. This alternative is on the N-W Lines and would provide reasonable access to all identified access points. This alternative would have a material effect on major transportation facilities and major utilities. Specifically, this alternative could disrupt peak-hour Amtrak Northeast Corridor service during construction, would result in the temporary closure of travel lanes on Ditmars Boulevard, and would result in the permanent shift of travel lanes and the permanent removal of parking lanes on Ditmars Boulevard. In addition, this alternative would affect existing major underground utility lines. Avoiding the material effect on major utilities would result in a permanent closure of a portion of Ditmars Boulevard. As a result, this alternative would not be reasonable to construct and operate and was eliminated from further consideration.

College Point update:

1324, 1325- College Point

1326 at Secaucus, Enroute to College Point..

*There will be a slight break on the deliveries since CP has received their first allotment of 25 buses*

On 3/19/2021 at 11:28 PM, NYC2MTL said:

College Point update:

1324, 1325- College Point

1326 at Secaucus, Enroute to College Point..

*There will be a slight break on the deliveries since CP has received their first allotment of 25 buses*

Yeah, I believe that Far Rockaway may be next in line for these buses. They haven't gotten anything new since 2007!

• Like 1