hl7534

MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

"Bus riders rejoice!

The city could be getting its first world-class Bus Rapid Transit route on which public transportation would roll — unimpeded by traffic — from neighborhood to neighborhood just like subway trains.

It’s early in the process, but the city Transportation Department is considering creating a BRT corridor on Woodhaven and Cross Bay Blvds. in Queens, officials confirmed."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/city-eyes-separate-road-lanes-speed-mta-rides-article-1.1788347#ixzz320EnBTpv

(includes photo of #4722, NFI XD60 by the look of it)

Streetsblog article:

On Webster Avenue SBS, Buses Run 20% Faster and More People Are Riding

http://www.streetsblog.org/2014/09/12/the-results-are-in-on-the-first-year-of-webster-avenue-sbs/

"Bus lanes and off-board fare collection are responsible for the lion’s share of the speed improvements. These gains are all the more impressive considering that, unlike other SBS routes, Webster Avenue’s bus lanes are not camera-enforced. (Albany restricts the number of bus lanes that NYC can enforce with cameras; a change in state law would lift that restriction.) Trips are likely to get faster after DOT and the MTA install concrete “bus bulb” curb extensions and signal technology that gives buses priority at traffic lights, beginning next year."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Another very encouraging article about SBS service in NYC!

What’s Next for Select Bus Service in New York?

by Stephen Miller

http://www.streetsblog.org/2014/09/11/experts-debate-what-will-it-take-for-nyc-to-build-world-class-brt/

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but I spotted NYCMTA XD40 #4811 passing through Oakville around 5 minutes ago. Any idea why it would be out this way!

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but I spotted NYCMTA XD40 #4811 passing through Oakville around 5 minutes ago. Any idea why it would be out this way!

Here is the same bus at it's destination ;) In front of a media studio in Crockford Blvd. near Warden & Lawrence in Scarborough.

4811.jpg

will the MTA preserve any of the New Flyer D60HF artics? those where my favorite buses growing up and it would be a shamed if they where retired and scrapped and none preserved.

I don't know if it's in their plans, but I hope 2185 (9/11 bus) gets preserved into the Transit Museum fleet.

will the MTA preserve any of the New Flyer D60HF artics? those where my favorite buses growing up and it would be a shamed if they where retired and scrapped and none preserved.

They did save a 1995 D60. Don't know where it is though.

I don't know if it's in their plans, but I hope 2185 (9/11 bus) gets preserved into the Transit Museum fleet.

They did save a 1995 D60. Don't know where it is though.

They would preserve 2185. Also I think they have a cng v also in the museum fleet with the hev vi .

They save a 1997 D60 # 1004 and renumbered to #1000, located at Zerega Avenue facility in the Bronx.

MCI 2185 will be preserved once the Prevost bus order gets here.

and no, MTA did not save a Orion V CNG bus.

Apparently MTA is getting rid of either the HEV or CNG 1st Gens already, and replacing them with Nova Buses. TTC wants to get rid of the 1000s, Ottawa is still on the fence. I guess the 2 1st Gen Orion VIIs that was converted to straight diesel didn't work out with MTA?

no, the new bus orders (414 Nova LFS and 276 New Flyer XD40) will remove the oldest bus in service, RTS and Orion V. Theres a 700 bus option order that has not yet been approve would get rid of remaining Orion V and RTS buses and some first gen hybrids.

the Orion VII CNG buses will be replace with new CNG buses.

Apparently MTA is getting rid of either the HEV or CNG 1st Gens already, and replacing them with Nova Buses. TTC wants to get rid of the 1000s, Ottawa is still on the fence. I guess the 2 1st Gen Orion VIIs that was converted to straight diesel didn't work out with MTA?

That is not coming for a few years. They have older stuff to replace first

MTA or TTC? Cause TTC wants to get rid of the hybrids by 2016.

The D40LF can last a few years if TTC wanted them. They're still good buses from what I hear.

MTA or TTC? Cause TTC wants to get rid of the hybrids by 2016.

The D40LF can last a few years if TTC wanted them. They're still good buses from what I hear.

NYC MTA still had D60HF's, V's and RTS' to replace before the VII replacement can begin.

I'm sure it doesn't have to go in that order. Especially if the Hybrids and CNG buses aren't performing up to expectations.

They have orders placed or will soon to replace the above older fleets