MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

hl7534

Just wanted a consolidated thread regarding NYCT/MTA.

Some questions...

1. Have they completely resolved the third-rail issues surrounding the R142/A on the Flushing line? What else is keeping them from being on the Flushing line?

2. Any more news regarding the next-generation trains for the A division?

3. When are the R38s set to retire, and what will replace them on the C?

4. Will the B ever get R160s?

Thanks!

Rode some R40 Slants on Friday, and it appears that they're not that hard to find, at least on the B line. I hope that continues!

They're in pretty good condition, too.

Also noticed that the R160s are quite prevalent on the Q and W.

The 4 ran local to Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday, and the 5 ran express from 42nd Street to 125th. The local trains were quite packed.

The 7 was running express Eastbound on Sunday due to construction, and we were held just outside of 61st Street station for nearly 30 minutes. Is it construction/trackwork season right now?

• Like 1

Just wanted a consolidated thread regarding NYCT/MTA.

Some questions...

1. Have they completely resolved the third-rail issues surrounding the R142/A on the Flushing line? What else is keeping them from being on the Flushing line?

2. Any more news regarding the next-generation trains for the A division?

3. When are the R38s set to retire, and what will replace them on the C?

4. Will the B ever get R160s?

Thanks!

1: I'm not completely sure -- ever since the R142/As were delivered, people kept saying over and over "Oh they're going be assigned to the Flushing line next month... the 6 will get the R62As from Flushing" but nothing's happened as of yet. They'd also have to have their interior stripmaps replaced if they were going to be assigned to the 7.

2: The A division isn't scheduled to receive any new stock until the R62/As are up for retirement, which shouldn't be for another decade or so.

3: The R38s are actually in better condition than previously thought and may stay around for a few more years. They may be replaced with another R160 option order or the future delivery of R179 cars (slated to replace the R44.)

4: I'm not sure, but I could definitely see the B getting R160s -- after all, the Q has a good number of R160s now. R160s would also make sense on the B, as the north terminal changes depending on the time of day (145th Street middays, evenings and Bedford Park Boulevard rush hours) and there usually isn't enough time to change all the rollsigns -- the R160s' electronic displays would solve this problem.

Rode some R40 Slants on Friday, and it appears that they're not that hard to find, at least on the B line. I hope that continues!

They're in pretty good condition, too.

If you ignore the duct tape holding the fiberglass ends onto the stainless steel body, then they do appear to be in good condition -- but their days are numbered. I should be going back to New York in about a month and hopefully I'll be able to find some in service.

The 4 ran local to Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday, and the 5 ran express from 42nd Street to 125th. The local trains were quite packed.

The 7 was running express Eastbound on Sunday due to construction, and we were held just outside of 61st Street station for nearly 30 minutes. Is it construction/trackwork season right now?

Every season is construction/trackwork season. :( When you've got a system more than 100 years old that's been running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, things are bound to wear out.

1: I'm not completely sure -- ever since the R142/As were delivered, people kept saying over and over "Oh they're going be assigned to the Flushing line next month... the 6 will get the R62As from Flushing" but nothing's happened as of yet. They'd also have to have their interior stripmaps replaced if they were going to be assigned to the 7.

2: The A division isn't scheduled to receive any new stock until the R62/As are up for retirement, which shouldn't be for another decade or so.

3: The R38s are actually in better condition than previously thought and may stay around for a few more years. They may be replaced with another R160 option order or the future delivery of R179 cars (slated to replace the R44.)

4: I'm not sure, but I could definitely see the B getting R160s -- after all, the Q has a good number of R160s now. R160s would also make sense on the B, as the north terminal changes depending on the time of day (145th Street middays, evenings and Bedford Park Boulevard rush hours) and there usually isn't enough time to change all the rollsigns -- the R160s' electronic displays would solve this problem.

If you ignore the duct tape holding the fiberglass ends onto the stainless steel body, then they do appear to be in good condition -- but their days are numbered. I should be going back to New York in about a month and hopefully I'll be able to find some in service.

Every season is construction/trackwork season. :( When you've got a system more than 100 years old that's been running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, things are bound to wear out.

Thanks!

I'm visiting again on October 24, and I'd love to ride on a R40 Slant just for one last time...

• 3 weeks later...
Arriving at JFK on the evening of the 23rd on LAN Chile flight 533. Still debating whether I should take the A or J/Z, my eventual destination is 96th and Broadway.

Take the A to Broadway/Nassau and then get on the 2/3, or if you don't mind spending a bit extra, take the LIRR to Penn Station and then the 2/3.

The J/Z are extremely slow, with their sharp curves and the slow speed area on the Williamsburg Bridge.

Take the A to Broadway/Nassau and then get on the 2/3, or if you don't mind spending a bit extra, take the LIRR to Penn Station and then the 2/3.

The J/Z are extremely slow, with their sharp curves and the slow speed area on the Williamsburg Bridge.

Thank you! Might as well try the LIRR, since I haven't been on it.

Thank you! Might as well try the LIRR, since I haven't been on it.
Good luck paying for that bro! Also good luck waiting for that train, ugh I was there 2 times for like 45 minutes, not one train either direction came. This was during the afternoon on a weekday.

So,

Anyone up for some transitfanning on Friday?

Yes, I am most definately up for it. Got a new cam and all that.
Reading this thread makes me want to go to NYC again. I'm thinking of taking an overnight bus down one day and doing like a 12 hour NYC transitfanning marathon.
I did 20 hour transit fanning...Beat that. :lol:

Thanks!

I'm visiting again on October 24, and I'd love to ride on a R40 Slant just for one last time...

I am going to New York that week as well on Business, I have the 25th and the 26th and evenings to myself. As for the R40 slants, do they appear during middays on saturdays and sundays or are they strictly rush hour extra's? Also whats the best station on the B line to wait for them at?

What other subway or bus routes offer intresting scenery?

What are the transit must do's in New York? I know all the tourist ones but just not the transit ones. :lol:

I am going to New York that week as well on Business, I have the 25th and the 26th and evenings to myself. As for the R40 slants, do they appear during middays on saturdays and sundays or are they strictly rush hour extra's? Also whats the best station on the B line to wait for them at?

What are the transit must do's in New York? I know all the tourist ones but just not the transit ones. :lol:

The R40 slants show up during all hours of the day, not just rush hours. The B doesn't run on weekends, so they only run on weekdays.

If you have time, you should definitely ride the Brighton line (the B/Q between Prospect Park and Coney Island), the Flushing Line (the entire 7 line), the E between Jamaica Center and Manhattan, and the A/D between 145th Street and Columbus Circle.

I would recomend riding the B100 between Mill Basin and Midwood, Brooklyn. The line uses mostly residential streets where traffic is very light. The route uses mainly Orion VII Hybrids as well as some TMC RTS and Orion V's during peak hours.

Also whats the best station on the B line to wait for them at?

Try Atlantic Avenue, since if it shows up on either direction, you can swiftly catch it, since it's an island platform. At other stations, you would have to go across or go above or below (on any local stops adjacent to Central Park).

I personally love the 7 train. It runs elevated from Hunters Pt to the Flushing-Main Street Terminus.

As for bus routes, I personally love the M104, as it goes down Broadway and goes right into Times Square.

Ride the M104, the M15, and the Lexington Avenue Express (4, 5, 6).

Every time I go to NYC, I make sure that I ride my personal favourite subway train - the R62 and R62A.

Oh, and visit the Transit Museum near Hoyt-Schermerhorn station (can be reached via A, C or G Trains). Just make sure you go early, since I think it closes around 5pm, maybe earlier. It shouldn't be hard to find, just follow the signs inside the station, go out the exit, turn right and walk a few blocks until you see a major street, which you cross. The entrance to the museum looks like a subway station entrance.

BTW, Here's two R40 Slant videos that I recorded on my trip:

Oh, and visit the Transit Museum near Hoyt-Schermerhorn station (can be reached via A, C or G Trains). Just make sure you go early, since I think it closes around 5pm, maybe earlier. It shouldn't be hard to find, just follow the signs inside the station, go out the exit, turn right and walk a few blocks until you see a major street, which you cross. The entrance to the museum looks like a subway station entrance.

You can also take the R to Court Street and walk on Court to Schermerhorn and then walk one block to Boerum Place. Many bus routes also start at Court Street.