MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

hl7534

7 hours ago, Chris.A said:

This is a damn disaster. Whoever didn't have those buses moved in the upper brass should be FIRED IMMIDEATELY! Goddamned idiots! ?

Buses are replaceable. We can always get new ones. Plus where would you put them? 

anways per NYCTransitForms, these are the buses loss or awaiting their fate: 7001, 7047, 7049, 7054, 7058, 7065, 7071, 7076, 7086, 8221, 8236, 8244, 8245, 8246, 8400, 8702, 8703, 8714, 2220, 2225, 2645, 2668, 2673

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chris.A said:

This is a damn disaster. Whoever didn't have those buses moved in the upper brass should be FIRED IMMIDEATELY! Goddamned idiots! ?

From what I've read, the flooding was not from seawater but from sewage and likely storm drains being overwhelmed by the record-breaking rainfall.  There have been a lot of places that are flooding in these storms that never had these issues in the past.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

From what I've read, the flooding was not from seawater but from sewage and likely storm drains being overwhelmed by the record-breaking rainfall.  There have been a lot of places that are flooding in these storms that never had these issues in the past.

Yeah, because this was mostly fresh water flooding, not saltwater due to the lack of storm surge coastal flooding that Sandy gave us years ago (didn't Castleton depot also get flooded from that too?) 

4 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Buses are replaceable. We can always get new ones. Plus where would you put them? 

anways per NYCTransitForms, these are the buses loss or awaiting their fate: 7001, 7047, 7049, 7054, 7058, 7065, 7071, 7076, 7086, 8221, 8236, 8244, 8245, 8246, 8400, 8702, 8703, 8714, 2220, 2225, 2645, 2668, 2673

In the past, the MTA had designated locations for where they would park their buses during weather emergencies. Casey Stengel depot for example moved all their buses during Hurricane Sandy (or rather just before it because it was in one of the city's flood zones). 

BTW, I believe 2016 Prevost X3-45 #2716 is also on the pending list.

One of the news articles mentioned that NYCT may be able to qualify to get emergency funding to replace the destroyed buses.  Given that they are currently receiving new local and express buses, it shouldn't be an issue to just hold aside the best 30 of the buses that were planned for retirement to replace the damaged ones for the time being. 

4 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

One of the news articles mentioned that NYCT may be able to qualify to get emergency funding to replace the destroyed buses.  Given that they are currently receiving new local and express buses, it shouldn't be an issue to just hold aside the best 30 of the buses that were planned for retirement to replace the damaged ones for the time being. 

seems reasonable. Anymore buses that were loss? What I listed were from the NYC Forums and there aren't any updates since

6 hours ago, Chris.A said:

BTW, I believe 2016 Prevost X3-45 #2716 is also on the pending list.

Yeah I forgot to mention that too.

Some stuff on the Castleton flooding: 

https://www.silive.com/news/2021/09/hurricane-ida-flooding-causes-estimated-8m-in-damages-to-28-buses-at-castleton-bus-depot-mta-says.html

The flooding in the area: O4Y63WW5NRBKZMWLLR2P545WFI.JPG

Keep in mind we were only expecting a total of 4-6 inches of rain in the worst hit areas from Ida with that all falling during a 24 hour period. Places were picking up over 3 inches of rain in an hour. Storm drains (sewers) were quickly overwhelmed and flooding happened. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris.A said:

Are these and the other retired buses from Castleton going to be used as parts buses? 

Don't want to go thru assumptions right regarding this. However, to my understanding these buses are completely done as far as the electrical compartment is concerned. If the buses are used for parts and etc.. That part I dunno.