MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

hl7534

9 hours ago, Jova42R said:

On a different note, any idea what the 2010 LFSAs will be replaced by? I've heard that they are becoming problematic, and plus, they are 11 years old. If i had to guess, probably LFSA HEVs (maybe LFX 62' HEVs  because of the Bx12)

I'm not sure if they've started soliciting bids or anything for those yet, they're more focused on wiping out the hybrid 40 footers instead. They very recently issued 2 RFPs for 45 electrics and 50 diesels and IIRC in the rumor mill there has been talk of an order in the 200-bus range for Bus co. Not sure what the breakdown of that 200-bus order will be, but the 95 buses in the 2 RFPs were for rigids implying they're going in that direction for now. That is to say, it will inevitably come down to New Flyer vs. Nova but there's no indication of the details of such an order.

IIRC most if not all of the 1200s had some level of overhaul work done at Zerega in the past 2 or so years which is enough to justify keeping those buses around for a while.

• Thanks 1

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned yet, 8755 is in service now (well, really yesterday).

31 minutes ago, NYC2MTL said:

2511, 2580-2583 to Castelton from Meredith Avenue.  Awaiting confirmation on 2584, 2585, 2632-2634. All are expected to move to Castelton momentarily. 

christ they really are gonna do 4300 replacement the hard way...

Castleton has had a coach shortage for some time IIRC, but could they really have been *that* short??

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned yet, 8755 is in service now (well, really yesterday).

christ they really are gonna do 4300 replacement the hard way...

Castleton has had a coach shortage for some time IIRC, but could they really have been *that* short??

exactly. Surprised we haven't really talked about the 4300's. I mean they are running pretty well. Despite them being at Ulmer Park first.

Honestly, I could never see Ulmer Park getting new express buses. I'm a bit confused is to why at least Ulmer doesn't have newer equipment. Ever since they got rid of the x29 it's been downhill for this depot. Those x27/37, x28/38 don't carry much mileage. I never understood these so-called coach shortages at Castelton. They have 2 long term loans from Charleston, 2286, 2290 eventually will go back to Charleston. My next guess is that Castelton will most likely get the rest of the Meredith 2015/2016 fleet to address these issues.

Now the option order remains the question. Although the RFP is signed off the MTA needs to fight long and hard if they want to acquire the 23 and 24. The nearest depot I believe is Yukon or Charleston. If the option order goes either to 1 of those depots mentioned. Best believe Castelton will pick up more  2015/2016 equipment.

20 hours ago, NYC2MTL said:

exactly. Surprised we haven't really talked about the 4300's. I mean they are running pretty well. Despite them being at Ulmer Park first.

Honestly, I could never see Ulmer Park getting new express buses. I'm a bit confused is to why at least Ulmer doesn't have newer equipment. Ever since they got rid of the x29 it's been downhill for this depot. Those x27/37, x28/38 don't carry much mileage. I never understood these so-called coach shortages at Castelton. They have 2 long term loans from Charleston, 2286, 2290 eventually will go back to Charleston. My next guess is that Castelton will most likely get the rest of the Meredith 2015/2016 fleet to address these issues.

Now the option order remains the question. Although the RFP is signed off the MTA needs to fight long and hard if they want to acquire the 23 and 24. The nearest depot I believe is Yukon or Charleston. If the option order goes either to 1 of those depots mentioned. Best believe Castelton will pick up more  2015/2016 equipment.

So are those 2007 MCI D4500 CLs #4300-4329 going to be retired? Is that what ya'll saying?

20 hours ago, NYC2MTL said:

I just now realized that Ulmer Park had not gotten any new OTRC buses since 2011-12. Damn, if the MTA fails to get the x23 and x24, hopefully that option set (#1608-1629 was it?) could go to Either Ulmer Park or Queens Village depot. Both those garages need new OTRC buses.

On 4/30/2021 at 1:38 PM, NYC2MTL said:

Surprised we haven't really talked about the 4300's. I mean they are running pretty well.

I guess it’s been pretty quiet as far as the 4300s go. Ever since 4314 retired a couple years back nothing much happened. The remaining 29 are still active and all have ran recently, I wonder how long it will be until they transfer buses to CH..

3 hours ago, Chris.A said:

So are those 2007 MCI D4500 CLs #4300-4329 going to be retired? Is that what ya'll saying?

On 4/30/2021 at 1:38 PM, NYC2MTL said:

Yes

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

I guess it’s been pretty quiet as far as the 4300s go. Ever since 4314 retired a couple years back nothing much happened. The remaining 29 are still active and all have ran recently, I wonder how long it will be until they transfer buses to CH..

Yes

Do they have more mileage on their odometers than their MTA bus pairs? As for the 2009-10 LFSAs (#1200-1289), I wouldn't be surprised if they are retired by 2023-24. They already lost 2 buses from that series and they are generally not that well maintained. 

8 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Do they have more mileage on their odometers than their MTA bus pairs? As for the 2009-10 LFSAs (#1200-1289), I wouldn't be surprised if they are retired by 2023-24. They already lost 2 buses from that series and they are generally not that well maintained. 

UM. Guess where they are.  Gun Hill and Kingsbridge don’t maintain their LFSA’s. If they were in Brooklyn- EN/FB/GA than you could get plenty of more mileage. 

9636 at 100th.  
9698, 9699 at Manhattanville 

2 hours ago, NYC2MTL said:

UM. Guess where they are.  Gun Hill and Kingsbridge don’t maintain their LFSA’s. If they were in Brooklyn- EN/FB/GA than you could get plenty of more mileage. 

9636 at 100th.  
9698, 9699 at Manhattanville 

Hell, the #1700's and #1800's NG CNGs are in better shape than those and the former is starting to be retired at NICE!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

Hell, the #1700's and #1800's NG CNGs are in better shape than those and the former is starting to be retired at NICE!

Correct. Those Long Island routes have more mileage than the city routes. It’s just simply poor maintenance with the Bronx Division. Period. When they were in Manhattan and Flatbush they were well maintained. 

On 5/1/2021 at 10:11 AM, Chris.A said:

I just now realized that Ulmer Park had not gotten any new OTRC buses since 2011-12. Damn, if the MTA fails to get the x23 and x24, hopefully that option set (#1608-1629 was it?) could go to Either Ulmer Park or Queens Village depot. Both those garages need new OTRC buses.

Queens village has 2013 D4500CT's so technically they are ineligible to receive new buses and plus their routes don't carry heavy mileage and plus Queens Village maintenance is pretty elite and they take good care of those buses. Those buses will last easily over 10 years.

My guess is Staten Island or Ulmer Park. But, Ulmer Park's express buses don't carry heavy mileage unlike the Staten Island lines. What I possibly think will happen is that Ulmer will eventually get 2015/2016 equipment from one of the Staten Island division depots. If politics get in the way than Ulmer Park will possibly get the option order.

3 hours ago, NYC2MTL said:

Queens village has 2013 D4500CT's so technically they are ineligible to receive new buses and plus their routes don't carry heavy mileage and plus Queens Village maintenance is pretty elite and they take good care of those buses. Those buses will last easily over 10 years.

My guess is Staten Island or Ulmer Park. But, Ulmer Park's express buses don't carry heavy mileage unlike the Staten Island lines. What I possibly think will happen is that Ulmer will eventually get 2015/2016 equipment from one of the Staten Island division depots. If politics get in the way than Ulmer Park will possibly get the option order.

Those 2012-13 units at Queens Village are approaching 9 years of age though. Before they got those, QV depot originally had the 2007 CLs in the #4300s. If they displace their coach buses every 5-6 years, then I think they would should have sent their #2200s to SI or Brooklyn by now.

Also, from what I can recall, Queens Village used to have issues with their 2004 Orion 7.501 OG hybrids when they had them up until almost 2 years ago.

2 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Those 2012-13 units at Queens Village are approaching 9 years of age though. Before they got those, QV depot originally had the 2007 CLs in the #4300s. If they displace their coach buses every 5-6 years, then I think they would should have sent their #2200s to SI or Brooklyn by now.

Also, from what I can recall, Queens Village used to have issues with their 2004 Orion 7.501 OG hybrids when they had them up until almost 2 years ago.

IF and only if Queens Village gets the option order those MCIS’s are Ulmer Park bound. Cannot see Staten Island getting this. 

46 minutes ago, NYC2MTL said:

IF and only if Queens Village gets the option order those MCIS’s are Ulmer Park bound. Cannot see Staten Island getting this. 

But they already have #2286-2304? 

3 minutes ago, NYC2MTL said:

Apparently Fresh Pond is first to receive the buses followed by East NY, Flatbush, Grand and lastly Ulmer Park.  

Except some 2008 and 2009 NG hybrids to be MTA bus bound. We already know that #3800-3959 will eventually replace buses in the #3500-3783 range out there.

8 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Looks like the first buses in the 7851-7989 XD40 may be built? Serials MB074886-889 are registered

When are those buses suppose to come in? Will there be pilots for those too? Also, where is 2018 XDE40 #9504 right now?

3 hours ago, Chris.A said:

When are those buses suppose to come in? Will there be pilots for those too? Also, where is 2018 XDE40 #9504 right now?

9504 at New Flyer- Minnesota.  (I believe)

11 hours ago, Chris.A said:

But they already have #2286-2304? 

Except some 2008 and 2009 NG hybrids to be MTA bus bound. We already know that #3800-3959 will eventually replace buses in the #3500-3783 range out there.

You mean Charleston already has 2286-2304.  However, what I’m saying is this Queens Village maintains their equipment and really there’s no need for them to switch them over to prevosts. I’ve been on those buses. They ride very smooth.  Worse case scenario 2251-2284 will more likely be Ulmer Park bound if QV gets the option.

Most likely option order will stick in Staten Island between Charleston or Yukon. 

Meredith Avenue update: 1557-1570 all in service at this time.

9624 in service on the M116.

ED1E0FDD-1706-4AA0-8199-E39EE33BF180.thumb.jpeg.876c08250aa4be094d2577a6359a1425.jpeg

On 4/30/2021 at 3:35 AM, Orion6025 said:

I'm not sure if they've started soliciting bids or anything for those yet, they're more focused on wiping out the hybrid 40 footers instead. They very recently issued 2 RFPs for 45 electrics and 50 diesels and IIRC in the rumor mill there has been talk of an order in the 200-bus range for Bus co. Not sure what the breakdown of that 200-bus order will be, but the 95 buses in the 2 RFPs were for rigids implying they're going in that direction for now. That is to say, it will inevitably come down to New Flyer vs. Nova but there's no indication of the details of such an order.

IIRC most if not all of the 1200s had some level of overhaul work done at Zerega in the past 2 or so years which is enough to justify keeping those buses around for a while.

Does that mean that we’ll be seeing new electric buses soon? Any idea what depots? Also, likely to be New Flyer or Proterra, right? Nova’s LFSe and LFSe+ aren’t suitable for the MTA i think.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Does that mean that we’ll be seeing new electric buses soon?

Yes

'Soon' is relative i guess, but there will be 45 new electric buses arriving in the coming years.

Any idea what depots?

No

Also, likely to be New Flyer or Proterra, right?

Well Nova and BYD could submit bids in addition to NFI and Proterra.

Nova’s LFSe and LFSe+ aren’t suitable for the MTA i think.

LFSe probably not suitable, LFSe+ I believe is suitable?