MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

hl7534

3 hours ago, Chris.A said:

What exactly is the point of the whole renumbering thing? Back in the old days, the MTA would wait 20 years or more before they reuse a certain number series from a retired fleet onto new buses. Now, we have XD40s running around with former Orion VII OG CNG numbers (some of which retired just a few months ago), C40LFs and Artic buses with former Orion V numbers, and Nova LFS's with former TMC and Novabus RTS #s. I mean, you have #1300-1632 totally free, as buses in that series retired years ago. #6906-6999 and #2931-2999 are more examples.

Poor retirement planning and numbering planning as well the expanded fleet post-merger. There are some empty spots but the MTA tries to keep bus models all within a continuous number range which leads a new fleet's numbers to collide with an older fleet's numbers. Since the MTABC buses have to have distinct numbers from the NYCTA ones now, that limits the amount of numbers and open ranges the MTA has to work with because the fleet size jumped alot

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, andrethebusman said:

Two other strange things that I can"t fully explain:

Hybrid RTS' s 6365-6369 r# 1400-1404? Are the 1400 numbers actually NJT? Did 6360-6369 actually ever exist as such?

Also 9656 rb to hybrid, r# 9700? Never heard of this one before??

This is on the same site as the bogus artic r#

First off, the NJT Novabus RTS hybrids were brought brand new back in 2002, MTA's were 2000-2001 units. Secondly the story behind #6360 and company was that the MTA was planning to buy 5 test buses #6360-6364 to be on trial for about 6-8 months. After which if all had gone well, they would have brought another 145 units #6365-6509 (basically where the 2004-2005 Orion VII OG hybrids are now) for 2002-2003. However, only 2 buses were built out of the original 5 (#6360-6361) and out of those, only #6360 was actually delivered and saw some service throughout 2001 up until shortly soon after 9/11. The bus from what I heard had numerous issues which, coupled with the fact that Novabus at the time was getting ready to leave the US bus market for Canada for the rest of the decade, resulted in the order being cancelled and the buses presumably scrapped or resold to another TA (not really sure what happed to them afterward).

3 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Two other strange things that I can"t fully explain:

Hybrid RTS' s 6365-6369 r# 1400-1404? Are the 1400 numbers actually NJT? Did 6360-6369 actually ever exist as such?

Also 9656 rb to hybrid, r# 9700? Never heard of this one before??

This is on the same site as the bogus artic r#

So are these two items real or no? I see 100-139 are good,  but I am questioning the legitimacy of these!

16 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

6365-6369 r# 1400-1404

Also 9656 to 9700?

Maybe I am no making myself clear. I am asking about the two specific things listed above. Was this real or not? I understand about 6360-6364. I strongly suspect the two things mentioned above never actually happened,  but I want to be sure as they don't really make sense. 

2 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Maybe I am no making myself clear. I am asking about the two specific things listed above. Was this real or not? I understand about 6360-6364. I strongly suspect the two things mentioned above never actually happened,  but I want to be sure as they don't really make sense. 

6365-6369 (as RTS's) were never built. 9656-9699 were 1998-1999 Novabus RTS's that retired over 2 years ago. 9700 was a 1993-1994 TMC RTS from MTA bus company that retired almost 10 years ago.

According to this MTA report:

In 1995 NYCT entered into a second hybrid bus program, with the Allison Transmission Division of General Motors, to retrofit a hybrid propulsion system into NYCT’s old methanol bus. That bus operated in revenue service in 1999 as a further demonstration of hybrid-electric technology.

Would this bus be RTS hybrid #9900? According to this report, the bus that was retrofitted was a 1991 TMC.

On 12/6/2018 at 1:32 PM, Chris.A said:

The order consist of 3010-3309 right? Are the R42s gone after next year?

There are more cars now. 16 additional ones because Bombardier can't keep up with its demand, and apparently 2 more that I need to confirm.

The R42s should be retired some time after the L train shutdown is done.

11 hours ago, MTA-(T)-Train said:

There are more cars now. 16 additional ones because Bombardier can't keep up with its demand, and apparently 2 more that I need to confirm.

The R42s should be retired some time after the L train shutdown is done.

I know that the original plan called for the R42s to be gone sometime before 2020 along with half of the remaining R32 fleet. The first R-211 test train should be here sometime around summer 2020 IIRC.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:01 AM, Chris.A said:

Just so you know, 2004 Orion VII OG CNG #7685 was just renumbered to #145 2 or 3 days ago, so you never know.

I'm aware; that said there is physically nothing left for them to renumber unless they jump to numbering the incoming XD40s into the 7760s+, or if they choose to keep some of the youngest CNG Orions around into spring 2019. Anyway 145 isn't in the number scheme he was referring to, he was only referring to the D60s: "Any idea if the vacant numbers in the 110-139 series will eventually be filled, or were these buses that were retired instead? ", and to that, the answer is still none because everything at or below 5602 has been retired or renumbered already

12 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Is there a timeline as to when the ZF powered RTS's will all be retired?

None officially that i know of. They're known for being less reliable than the allisons so the original intention was to reitre all those early but they're still around soooo.. most RTS retirements are on hold because the TA needs to build up the L train shuttle fleet and any RTS retirements right now may solely be for temporary storage till the L shuttle begins, so the ZFs will probably be around for a little while