MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

hl7534

I thought the 40LF models were discontinued in 2010...?

The CNG model also doesn't need all the modifcations (aftertreatnment, HVAC, etc.) that the diesel models needed which were only changed on the LFR. NFI could easily build a C40LF because it's basically the same design used before the EPA10 diesel regs.

I thought so, too but I think - as apparently "someone" told me - that the MTA is paying New Flyer that extra "moolah" to build (for them) the LF model rather than take the LFR (or even the Xcelsior) style.

The MTA is set to receive Xcelsior diesels...and C40LF old-style fronts. Odd to say the least.

A lot of agencies are going to be PO'ed. However, at the same time, one of the garages receiving this model, Gleason in Brooklyn, will not need to conduct any driver training on these buses if they have Allison transmissions---only if they have ZFs.

That's been on the back of MTA buses for about a month now.

The MTA is set to receive Xcelsior diesels...and C40LF old-style fronts. Odd to say the least.

A lot of agencies are going to be PO'ed. However, at the same time, one of the garages receiving this model, Gleason in Brooklyn, will not need to conduct any driver training on these buses if they have Allison transmissions---only if they have ZFs.

So have MTA still ordering Allison depending what bus?

I thought so, too but I think - as apparently "someone" told me - that the MTA is paying New Flyer that extra "moolah" to build (for them) the LF model rather than take the LFR (or even the Xcelsior) style.

If that's truly the case, then I'm surprised that the MTA wasn't able to get New Flyer to complete the D60HF order as planned.

I don't visit this thread often so forgive me if this was discussed.

How come NYCMTA didn't order from Gillig and NABI for their 90 units of testing? Why only stick with NFI, OBI, and NBC?

Gillig - When they tested the Gillig, Ther didn't like it or something like that.

Nabi - MTA doesn't like the Nabi design.

To the above poster, I have to update that list of bus orders since the new awards went public.

Contrary to popular belief, the TA is not paying extra for these buses. As a matter of fact, New Flyer lowered the prices of the buses when the TA exercised option one yesterday.

So have MTA still ordering Allison depending what bus?

Correct. It just depends on the order specs pretty much. The Nova order is mixed Allison, and ZF. The New Flyer and Orion orders will be 100% Allison IIRC.

The CNG model also doesn't need all the modifcations (aftertreatnment, HVAC, etc.) that the diesel models needed which were only changed on the LFR. NFI could easily build a C40LF because it's basically the same design used before the EPA10 diesel regs.

Correct. The EPA07 CNG's are EPA10 compliant by default. But don't forget the LFR is essentially an LF with a new face. The platform and many components are the same.

If that's truly the case, then I'm surprised that the MTA wasn't able to get New Flyer to complete the D60HF order as planned.

This was different because the D60HF and LF are basically two totally different models inside and out. The LFR face however can be easily be replaced with an LF face at any time. The D60HF line had closed though, and New Flyer no longer had the parts or tooling to build the bus.

I don't visit this thread often so forgive me if this was discussed.

How come NYCMTA didn't order from Gillig and NABI for their 90 units of testing? Why only stick with NFI, OBI, and NBC?

Gillig's would NEVER hold up on NYC streets. I recently took a tour of a midwest transit agency, and they are VERY unhappy with the Gillig LF's they have. Most all of them leak when it rains, they handle like crap, and the suspension is horrible!!! The new BRT is slightly better, but there is still room for improvement.

Not only that, but the Gillig and the NABI would have to be qualified before the TA would even think about looking their way. It doesn't look like that will happen at all! At least not any time soon. Doesn't look like anybody wants to touch the Compobus other than LA either. And they are pretty much tired of NABI buses now as well.

UPDATE:

MTA is accepting 250 New Flyer C40LF (CNG) on the option order contract, (http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/110523_1115_BUS.pdf) page 57.

Also ordering more than 328 Nova LFS articulated buses (clean diesel); (http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/110523_1115_BUS.pdf) page 55, (http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x2142723224/Nova-Bus-lands-huge-MTA-contract)

There is some info on ordering 90 New Flyer artics in the Nova Bus RFP.

The LFR face however can be easily be replaced with an LF face at any time.

No, it can't. The structure from the back of the front doors forward is quite different between the two, and not even remotely interchangeable. The same goes for any of the bodywork that attaches to it.

Going back to MTA's buses, I'm surprised that they spec'd narrow rear doors.

Dan

The C40LF in service today...shots are my own. Also attached is bus 824 as a door-side comparison.

I'm still a bit in shock that the MTA went for the old style front, given that I thought for one that it was discontinued.

As for the rear doors,

230_D.jpg

230_W.jpg

824.jpg

No, it can't. The structure from the back of the front doors forward is quite different between the two, and not even remotely interchangeable. The same goes for any of the bodywork that attaches to it.

Going back to MTA's buses, I'm surprised that they spec'd narrow rear doors.

Dan

True, the change goes all the way to the door, but the structure from there to the rear section is virtually the same. Tooling wise, it is very easy to go from an LFR to an LF face. I never said anything about them being interchangable. I'm talking in terms of final assembly.

• 4 weeks later...
A picture of one of the new subway station route maps, seen at Court Street ®. Of course, it's virtually unreadable due to the very small type, coupled with the fact that my cell phone's camera isn't that good in general.

rstripmap.jpg

looks good, I think that will really help tourist and people new to the city

• 2 weeks later...

So, the NYCT has got some new Novabus LFS. I think Castleton has got all and Ulmer Park. Queens Village just got some new LFS over the past week. The first Prevost is finally done and is in NJ. College Point has got a New Flyer C40LF from NYCT. Its 801 it is the father of 230.

I got a roster of some NYCT Buses in the vinyl decal scheme done by Zerega maintenence facilty.

Note : the vinly decals are used on this bus which are stickers that you stick on the bus and use heat to stick it on forever.

Casey Stengel Depot (Note : These bus numbers are put in order like who was painted first and ....) 6893, 6870, 6852, 6849, 6887, and 6861. More to come!

These are Orion VII OG HEVS. THEY ARE NOT NEW, they are just freshly repainted.

East New York Depot : 6847, 6791 (sortta, the whole thing is missing black paint...), and 6792.

Orion VII OG HEVS.

Kingsbridge Depot : 5693, 5707, 5705

126th St Depot : 5653 (sick look)

All NF Artics