MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

hl7534

Explain, please? I can understand this very well if it's just your opinion, but you're presenting it as a fact, which begs for evidence to back it up.

Double-decker buses work well in many cities across the globe, and there's no inherent quality that New York as a city possesses that would make them unfit for use.

Double-decker buses work very well on express routes as passengers don't board and alight as often as on local routes. At least for New York's express routes, passengers board at certain points along a route, the bus then runs express for a distance, and then passengers alight at certain other points. There's no other boarding or alighting taking place. And this would be perfect for double-decker buses.

However, no MTA garage can fit double-deckers anymore...unless Amsterdam was a former FACCo garage.

Also on an aside, 18 of the MTA's D4500CTs have entered service---in Middlesex and Monmouth Counties (and they are still sitting in the city).

However, no MTA garage can fit double-deckers anymore...unless Amsterdam was a former FACCo garage.

Also on an aside, 18 of the MTA's D4500CTs have entered service---in Middlesex and Monmouth Counties (and they are still sitting in the city).

So they are now the ex-MTA.

No wonder why I didn't see them on the streets. What the heck happned? Why did the MTA get rid of them?

From what I've heard, it had to do with tailpipe mounting, where the configuration in place produced dangerously hot emissions. The MTA requested that MCI relocate the tailpipe to a less dangerous location higher up, but nothing came of it.

From what I've heard, it had to do with tailpipe mounting, where the configuration in place produced dangerously hot emissions. The MTA requested that MCI relocate the tailpipe to a less dangerous location higher up, but nothing came of it.

Oh, Ok. That explains why MTA dosnt have them. It would be awkward for me to see an MCI Coach with a tailpipe mounted on the roof.

IIRC MTA used to operate double deckers back in the 70s. Can't see what has changed since then.

NB: the second one is a historic "Queen Mary" double decker from the Fifth Avenue Coach Company, retained by the MTA initially as a "Transit Information Bus", then refurbished and preserved in the museum fleet. Not sure if it's operable -- it usually needs to be towed from place to place.

NB: the second one is a historic "Queen Mary" double decker from the Fifth Avenue Coach Company, retained by the MTA initially as a "Transit Information Bus", then refurbished and preserved in the museum fleet. Not sure if it's operable -- it usually needs to be towed from place to place.
I kinda figured that out after I was looking at all the other photos and none of them actually made the bus look like a regular transit bus. But the other one "looks pretty legit" (a quote from a passenger on our double deckers during his first ride on the first day when talking to his buddy on a cell phone).

hi all,

I'm planning on visiting NYC this summer. I'm very looking forward to this trip, and I would very appreciate it if someone can answer the following questions. Thanks! :(

1. Where to find:

-Orion VII NGs?

-RTS?

-NYU Nova LFS?

-Megabus TD925s? (and other motorcoaches as well)

and where are good places to photograph them?

2. For NY Subway, what are some interesting lines and rolling stocks to ride? Which lines can I find the R160A/Bs?

3. Also for subway, where are some good above-ground stations for photography?

4. On which subway line can I experience rush hour traffic the best?? :P (I've heard the 6 is pretty bad)

5. Any particularly interesting commuter rail lines in NY and NJ? Also, which commuter lines are electrified?

6. Finally, are there any photography rules within (and outside) MTA and NJ Transit property?

Thank you for your help :)

Orion VII NGs operate out of Castleton and Yukon depots (in Staten Island; the St. George ferry terminal on Staten Island is a good place to see them) as well as Flatbush depot routes (B2, B31, B39, B41, B44, B46, B49), Manhattanville depot routes (M2, M3, M4, M5, M10, M11, M60, M96, M104, M106), and Michael J. Quill depot routes (M6, M8, M9, M11, M14, M16, M20, M21, M22, M23, M27, M30, M34, M42, M50, M57, M79, M98, Q32). There are also 10 at Gun Hill depot in the Bronx, although they're less common.

RTSs can be found all over the city. Downtown Brooklyn (outside the Borough Hall and Jay Street/Borough Hall subway stations) is a good place to see RTSs on Flatbush depot, East New York depot, and Fresh Pond depot routes. Also, all routes out of Jamaica depot (Q3, Q4, Q5, Q17, Q30, Q42, Q77, Q84, Q85) and local routes out of Ulmer Park depot (B1, B3, B6, B36, B64, B74) operate RTSs only.

Visit this page for up-to-date roster information on the New York City bus system.

NYU Nova LFSs operate largely in Manhattan only, and a good place to see them is at the layover point on Lafayette Street near the Astor Place subway station. Megabus TD925s (and all other Megabuses, as well as an assortment of other motorcoaches) can be seen at the loading/dropoff point on 31st Street and 8th Avenue.

As for the subway, the R160As operate on the J, L, M, and Z lines, and the R160Bs operate on the E, N, Q, and W. The following lines are above ground:

-(1) between 242/Van Cortlandt Park and Dyckman St (also 125 St)

-(2) between Wakefield/241 St and Jackson Av

-(3) between New Lots Av and Sutter Av/Rutland Rd

-(4) between Woodlawn and 161/Yankee Stadium

-everything on the (5) north of Jackson Av, except for Pelham Parkway on the Dyre Avenue branch. The Dyre Avenue branch is fairly interesting as well.

-(6) north of Whitlock Av

-(7) east of 45 Rd/Court House Square (except for Flushing/Main St). This is a very interesting route.

-(A) east of 80th Street station in Queens. The Jamaica Bay section (south of Howard Beach/JFK and north of the Rockaways) is another line I recommend.

-(B/Q) south of Prospect Park (this is the Brighton Line, a very picturesque line)

-(D) south of 9 Av

-(F)(G) between Smith/9 and 4 Av, and (F) south of Ditmas Av

-(J)(M)(Z) east of Marcy Av (except for Sutphin/Archer and Jamaica Center stations)

-(L) at Wilson Av (towards Canarsie only) and southeast of Broadway Junction

-(N)(W) north of Queensboro Plaza, and (N) south of 8 Av (in Brooklyn)

-Franklin Avenue Shuttle (another interesting route) and Rockaway Park Shuttle

The most crowded lines during rush hour, from my unofficial observations, are all IRT lines (1/2/3/4/5/6/7), the E/F in Queens, the A/C in Brooklyn, and the L.

The following NYC-area commuter rail lines are electrified:

-Metro-North Hudson Line (to Croton Harmon), Metro-North Harlem Line (to Southeast), Metro-North New Haven Line (except for Danbury and Waterbury branches)

-LIRR Port Washington, Hempstead, Far Rockaway, West Hempstead, Long Beach, Montauk (to Babylon only), and Port Washington (to Huntington only) branches.

-NJ Transit Northeast Corridor (and Princeton branch), North Jersey Coast (to Long Branch only), Montclair-Boonton (to Montclair State University only), Morris and Essex (entire Gladstone line, and Morristown line to Dover only.)

The Port Washington branch of the LIRR is particularly interesting, with its single-track high viaduct near Manhasset station. The LIRR Flatbush Avenue branch shouldn't be missed either. If you have time, take one of the two LIRR Lower Montauk diesel trains (Jamaica 8:11 AM-Long Island City 8:34 AM, or Long Island City 4:54 PM-Jamaica 5:16 PM).

The MTA photography rules are posted here -- see section 1050.9© -- but these rules apply only to New York City Transit (bus, subway) and MTA Bus. The commuter rail lines and the Staten Island Railway use a different set of rules that I can't find online, although photography is permitted on MTA commuter railroads, including NJ Transit. Remember to use discretion, though (avoid police officers in the subway, who will most likely tell you that you can't take photos) and there may be the occasional anti-photo employee as well.

Hope this helps! :(

• 1 month later...
It's official: the R40 Slants will make their last run on the A train tomorrow, after being in service for 42 years.

Oh no...

I'll be in NYC on Friday, and I was hoping to get my last ride on one. Oh well...

Quick question... what buses are on the Q10 route? I'll be using it quite often for the next 3 days.

What about the Q6?

Thanks!

The Q10 and Q6 are based out of JFK depot, with the Q6 split between JFK and Far Rockaway depots. These routes use the following buses: Orion V (ex-NYCT), Orion V (ex-Green Bus Lines), and Orion VII HEV. There are a few ex-NYCT and ex-Queens Surface TMC RTSs as well, but those are uncommon.

The Q10 and Q6 are based out of JFK depot, with the Q6 split between JFK and Far Rockaway depots. These routes use the following buses: Orion V (ex-NYCT), Orion V (ex-Green Bus Lines), and Orion VII HEV. There are a few ex-NYCT and ex-Queens Surface TMC RTSs as well, but those are uncommon.

Thanks! :)

Arrived in NYC today, but unfortunately I did not have the chance to ride the A today, missing the final R40 Slant if it was out.

I did ride a NYCT NG for the first time though, on the M16, and it was quite smooth. NGs are becoming more and more prevalent in Manhattan now.