GRT Driver Rudeness

isUsername

Faulty assumptions? Where?

No, you absolutely shouldn't have. Perhaps the bus was traded off as it got to the terminal with a bus of similar year. Maybe the drivers changed as one was coming on/ off lunch break. I'm not sure if there are any crews with lunch breaks that late, but it is possible.

You cannot say with certainty that this was in fact the driver. Do you have any idea how many GRT drivers wear glasses? 167.

"I drove by there and there was no one there" - Read what was said PrevostH3-45.

Don't be absurd by arguing that there was even a remote possibility that it wasn't the same driver. Same facial hair, wearing classes, same approximate weight, same bus year, same route, and most critical of all: he admitted that he drove by there. Please don't continue to be absurd and claim that there was any reasonable possiblity it was him.

The difference is this is a public website where everyone is entitled to my opinion. You posted your comments and I'm replying to them, my job or not.

Perhaps you can differentiate what you just said with: The difference is that GRT is a public service where I am a paying customer. He made rude remarks and I responded to them, my job or not.

You were asking for what you got by confronting him. Did you really think he was really going to say, "oh I'm sorry I almost hit you"? Absolutely not.

What I really thought he was going to say, was something not rude. But I guess if the driver's perception is that he *might* be innocent, that excuses rude behaviour right?

Go work in another customer service industry and see where that gets you.

Was he rude? Yes. I'm not disputing that. I'm saying that you should have known better when you confronted him.

In other words: "Grand River Transit: Don't approach our drivers and accuse them of doing something wrong unless you want to be treated rudely."

Don't tell me to read your non-sense again when it is you who should be doing the re-reading. If you had bothered to read what I wrote you would have seen that I mentioned perception. To him he may have seen your "leaning out" as someone running out or about to run out.

Yes I did read that you wrote perception. But your view on the driver's perception was an exaggeration of the facts. You may feel that it might have been perceived as that, but you stated that it was perceived as that, and you don't have any position to say for sure what was preceived by the driver. So once again, don't exaggerate what you say was perceived.

So yes, you do need to read what was said again, because you have made factual errors and exaggerations. You seemed to have ignored the driver saying he drove by that stop, and exaggerating what you are stating he perceived, even when he said he didn't see anyone.

You accused him of almost running you over and I imagine your tone was less than pleasant.

Let me remind you: Me: <<"Excuse me, I'd like to know why you drove past my stop and nearly hit me?!?">>

Why the need for the exclamation?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclamation_mark: "An exclamation mark... is usually used after an interjection or exclamation to indicate strong feelings or high volume..." (Emphasis mine)

He told you he didn't know what to tell you. I can't understand why you didn't just leave it at that? You were asking for more by going into the customer service idiocy. Also don't bother suggesting that I condone poor customer service because I don't. I'll have you know that I have numerous customer commendations on file for exemplary customer service.

Because before he said that, he had already escalated the issues by denying what had happened (that he passed my stop and nearly hit me), said I was wrong about what happened, and was making dismissive, ageist comments.

Had he started by saying he didn't know what to tell me, my response would have been much different. But he did not start with that, so get the order of what happened correct, before telling me how I should have handled it.

What it seems to me, is that instead of dealing with the facts and circumstances at hand, you seem to be trying to change the facts, timeline, and circumstances in the driver's favour, despite numerous contradictions against your statements. Some people here have disagreed with what I have said, but they actually considered all of what was said instead of ignoring important facts, changing the order of what was said, and exaggerating other facts.

If you don't believe what I said happend the way I said it, that's one thing. But please don't make comments where you've change facts, circumstances, and timelines of what I've said.

As some others have said, this is getting out of hand. I believe I have made my statements as clear as possible and you can have the last word if you want.

This is why:

I operate on the National Atomic Clock (albeit with a -15 to 15 second offset at times) and I expect public services, especially those operating on a public timetable, to be operating on this clock as well. In addition to that, the city's GIS/AVS system uses the National Atomic Clock. Buses themselves have clocks on them so that all buses are running the same time, so watches aren't even needed. (Nor should they be.)

[size="2]Actually the only buses that are equipped with GPS screens that display the time are the ohmyxpress buses.

the rest rely on our watches, so yes, we do need watches.[/size] :P

I was speaking for my own city, where all buses are equipped with an integrated system that does (or ideally, should) display the same and correct time on all buses. (The fleet is only 49 buses so it's less expensive for us to do it compared to GRT which I imagine has at least 200.) We don't have a higher-level bus service like iXpress, it's just basic surface routes for the entire city.

Still, if you are using watches, they should be checked daily against the National Atomic Clock which the system should be using as that is the best way for customers and drivers to be on the same time without passengers have to actually bug the driver to get the times in sync.

I was speaking for my own city, where all buses are equipped with an integrated system that does (or ideally, should) display the same and correct time on all buses. (The fleet is only 49 buses so it's less expensive for us to do it compared to GRT which I imagine has at least 200.) We don't have a higher-level bus service like iXpress, it's just basic surface routes for the entire city.

If we can do it with 266 buses, express and basic service included, than they should be able to it with 247 buses. Perhaps they have different priorities. In Nova Scotia, there's no requirement for calling every stop, so maybe that's it.

Speaking of schedules

I had a bus leave 2 minutes early from the scheduled time (i get on right at the beginning of the run, and I carry a cell phone.

Needless to say, I was late to class.

But guess what?

Stuff like that happens. I don't make a big deal about it. I just waited 30 minutes, and got to class late. Life happens, let it go.

This thread honestly is ridiculous.

Speaking of schedules

I had a bus leave 2 minutes early from the scheduled time (i get on right at the beginning of the run, and I carry a cell phone.

Needless to say, I was late to class.

But guess what?

Stuff like that happens. I don't make a big deal about it. I just waited 30 minutes, and got to class late. Life happens, let it go.

This thread honestly is ridiculous.

You seem to use "life happens" as a absolute reason in itself, when it is only a phrase and is no reason at all. Case in point: "Oh I've got cancer? Oh well, life happens." "Oh the dryer destroyed my shirt? Oh well, life happens" Could you please explain why this aspect of life happening is ok?

It happened, you can't do much about it anymore. You can't control the fact you got cancer, you can't control the fact that your shirt is destroyed. It happened, nothing you can do about it. It's in the past, sure maybe it's going to affect your life now, but yeah, it happens to alot of people. Be glad you weren't hit, be glad that you are physically alright.

I just don't get stressed out or worried about it. Sure I kinda asked the driver when I got on the later bus if the other bus was running, since I actually didn't see it, and he actually said, here's the number go ahead and complain, that's what I would do, I'm just like ok, no real worries. I'm on the bus now. Like if this continually happened, then I would say something, but a one-time occurrence doesn't cause me to get all anal and upset and feel the need to write a 1000 word essay on a transit board.

It happened, you can't do much about it anymore. You can't control the fact you got cancer, you can't control the fact that your shirt is destroyed. It happened, nothing you can do about it. It's in the past, sure maybe it's going to affect your life now, but yeah, it happens to alot of people. Be glad you weren't hit, be glad that you are physically alright.

I just don't get stressed out or worried about it. Sure I kinda asked the driver when I got on the later bus if the other bus was running, since I actually didn't see it, and he actually said, here's the number go ahead and complain, that's what I would do, I'm just like ok, no real worries. I'm on the bus now. Like if this continually happened, then I would say something, but a one-time occurrence doesn't cause me to get all anal and upset and feel the need to write a 1000 word essay on a transit board.

Ok, but your method doesn't do anything to prevent, or at least try to prevent what happened to you from happening again.

If we can do it with 266 buses, express and basic service included, than they should be able to it with 247 buses. Perhaps they have different priorities. In Nova Scotia, there's no requirement for calling every stop, so maybe that's it.

Drivers here stopped calling stops about two weeks after they started. I think they forgot they're supposed to. They've gone back to only calling stops if its requested. The city is going to have a system installed to automatically call stops using the GPS/AVL system.

Speaking of schedules .. I had a bus leave 2 minutes early from the scheduled time (i get on right at the beginning of the run, and I carry a cell phone. .. Needless to say, I was late to class. .. But guess what? .. Stuff like that happens. I don't make a big deal about it. I just waited 30 minutes, and got to class late. Life happens, let it go. .. This thread honestly is ridiculous.

Well, when you get out of school, you'll learn that when you're 30 minutes late for work, you're never going to be 30 minutes late for work again.

(In case you still don't get that: If you're 30 minutes late for work, they fire you.)

Like if this continually happened, then I would say something, but a one-time occurrence doesn't cause me to get all anal and upset and feel the need to write a 1000 word essay on a transit board.

Well that is my issue with buses running early. It continually happens. It isn't a one time, shit happens type thing. It's a continuing problem.

If you've got cancer you can get treatment, you don't have to just accept it because "shit happens" and let it kill you. Even better, you can prevent it. Same with a dryer ruining your shirt. Read the label or fix the dryer so that it doesn't happen again.

Well, when you get out of school, you'll learn that when you're 30 minutes late for work, you're never going to be 30 minutes late for work again.

(In case you still don't get that: If you're 30 minutes late for work, they fire you.)

Well that is my issue with buses running early. It continually happens. It isn't a one time, shit happens type thing. It's a continuing problem.

If you've got cancer you can get treatment, you don't have to just accept it because "shit happens" and let it kill you. Even better, you can prevent it. Same with a dryer ruining your shirt. Read the label or fix the dryer so that it doesn't happen again.

It's the same thing if buses are running late, you still end up late for work. They have buses getting to one time point early, force it to wait and then the bus ends up late at the next timepoint missing connections. Some drivers would rather leave early in favour of ensuring the 30 other people already on the bus actually make their connections. I'm not necessarily saying that I agree but this is a scheduling problem and yelling at a driver about it, isn't going to solve it.

It's the same thing if buses are running late, you still end up late for work. They have buses getting to one time point early, force it to wait and then the bus ends up late at the next timepoint missing connections. Some drivers would rather leave early in favour of ensuring the 30 other people already on the bus actually make their connections. I'm not necessarily saying that I agree but this is a scheduling problem and yelling at a driver about it, isn't going to solve it.

Which is why I said, in my first post in this thread, to never tell bus drivers that they are early. Or late. Really, just don't talk to them. Pretend it's 2034 and the driver is an animatronic robot that cannot respond to human conversations and leave the damn thing alone.

Which is why I said, in my first post in this thread, to never tell bus drivers that they are early. Or late. Really, just don't talk to them. Pretend it's 2034 and the driver is an animatronic robot that cannot respond to human conversations and leave the damn thing alone.

Would it kill any one to say goodmorning if I were to say it to you. We are not all "bustards" and I try to be nice I say hi and good morning so I don't enjoy being ignored and treated like and extension of the machine.

Well hi and good morning and thanks and whatnot is just common courtesy but passenger communications with drivers essentially stops there, unless they blow past your stop after your rang the bell. (And then you can't signal again because its been signalled already; I've been on buses where the driver has gone on for quite a while before realizes what he'd done or before a passenger complains.)

I agree with the recent posts by vid (!) and D4500. I will often respond in a very kind manner when the driver smiles and/or says good morning or whatever, but if they're silent, then I am too. Like me, they have stuff on their mind and are trying to operate the bus, no small task. Last thing they need is an annoying blabbermouth who can't keep his big trap shut. So really, every case is different.

I agree with the recent posts by vid (!) and D4500. I will often respond in a very kind manner when the driver smiles and/or says good morning or whatever, but if they're silent, then I am too. Like me, they have stuff on their mind and are trying to operate the bus, no small task. Last thing they need is an annoying blabbermouth who can't keep his big trap shut. So really, every case is different.

Sometimes a little pleasant conversation breaks up the day, but unfortunatly you have to "test the water" with which drivers will accept the conversation. SWome af them are just plain rude, lets face facts.

• 1 year later...