York University Transportation Services

dl3101

Here's a photo of one of the new C2s. Features include high-back cloth seating, wheelchair lift, LED desto, and bike rack. Where would this bus be going, traveling west on Lawrence at Yonge?

Oh hey, they finally put decals on it. It's been pure white-no markings for quite a bit.

• 2 months later...

Seen YT-01 around campus lately?

Last I had heard from the transportation director in August, it was off property, and had been since May, because it needed a new engine. They weren't planning on fixing it unless they couldn't get their new buses in time.

Somewhat related, both Blue Birds were at SN Diesel the last week of December but were not visible this morning.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

They seem to have updated the plates on the Blue Birds. Snapped this photo earlier today:

Anyone know which fleet number would this be?

Theory: That front flap the plate was screwed to fell off somewhere while in service, and they had to acquire new plates for it.

Theory: That front flap the plate was screwed to fell off somewhere while in service, and they had to acquire new plates for it.

Looks like they replaced the destination signs too (likely to correspond with the new village shuttles), as the area around the sign used to be blacked out IIRC.

The Blue Birds have no visible fleet numbers, only way to tell is by VIN.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Spotted another new York U Shuttle. It was a low-floor Glaval II LF cutaway. It is equipped with an electronic destination sign (Luminator?). It was running on the Glendon shuttle today with the destination sign displaying VanGO.

A bit late on the reply, but I found this unit earlier today. License plate 784 2BH.

York University Shuttle 784 2BH.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

This thread hasn't been updated in many years so some updates to the shuttle system as of October 2022:

• The New Flyer D40LF has been retired (it was last in service March 2020) and has been returned to Mississauga Truck and Bus since the GO Shuttle route was discontinued 
  • The retired Crestline unit was registered 873 6BF and they are not paying for repairs to the wheelchair lift, link to the GovDeals listing can be found here: 2011 Ford Econoline Bus / CTV - govdeals.com (it still starts and runs but they are selling it)
  • York University still has the other Crestline and their Starcraft cutaway for the Village route although they are not used in daytime service (initially, one of these buses was used for the Lassonde Research Centre-Bergeron route during the day before 4565 entered service)
  • The C2s no longer have their bike racks- they were removed before 2019 alongside the extra mirrors and as of 2022, the LED displays on these buses are no longer used (the displays on LED-equipped cutaways are set to York University)
  • Standees are no longer permitted on the shuttle buses; for the Glendon and Village routes, passengers have to pre-book their seats and the Lassonde route is restricted to those travelling to/from the research centre (but is walk on)

(photo is not mine)

2011 Ford Econoline Bus / CTV

For additions to the current fleet, York University leased two Thomas C2s from Attridge, being 5065 & 5085 as backup for the Glendon route due to their own C2s not being reliable (yes, they leased school buses). They also have 4565, registered 960 8BL, which is a 2021 Ford E-450 with Blue Bird Micro Bird bodywork; the cutaway does not have decals and is exclusively operated on the Lassonde Research Centre-Bergeron route

IMG_8544.thumb.JPG.502257cdc42fb38a0132900aa57ff136.JPG

20220912_170453.thumb.jpg.03548df3a1955fec358dd87e5d92fcd7.jpg

1512956883_20220930_1629221.thumb.jpg.a11687213c5a1a5ba643671bff103b9a.jpg

The University is also planning to buy electric buses for the future Keele-Markham route (set to begin in 2024 but no word on what models these will be)

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 11:36 PM, Joshuamumble said:

This thread hasn't been updated in many years so some updates to the shuttle system as of October 2022:

• The New Flyer D40LF has been retired (it was last in service March 2020) and has been returned to Mississauga Truck and Bus since the GO Shuttle route was discontinued 
  • The retired Crestline unit was registered 873 6BF and they are not paying for repairs to the wheelchair lift, link to the GovDeals listing can be found here: 2011 Ford Econoline Bus / CTV - govdeals.com (it still starts and runs but they are selling it)
  • York University still has the other Crestline and their Starcraft cutaway for the Village route although they are not used in daytime service (initially, one of these buses was used for the Lassonde Research Centre-Bergeron route during the day before 4565 entered service)
  • The C2s no longer have their bike racks- they were removed before 2019 alongside the extra mirrors and as of 2022, the LED displays on these buses are no longer used (the displays on LED-equipped cutaways are set to York University)
  • Standees are no longer permitted on the shuttle buses; for the Glendon and Village routes, passengers have to pre-book their seats and the Lassonde route is restricted to those travelling to/from the research centre (but is walk on)

(photo is not mine)

2011 Ford Econoline Bus / CTV

For additions to the current fleet, York University leased two Thomas C2s from Attridge, being 5065 & 5085 as backup for the Glendon route due to their own C2s not being reliable (yes, they leased school buses). They also have 4565, registered 960 8BL, which is a 2021 Ford E-450 with Blue Bird Micro Bird bodywork; the cutaway does not have decals and is exclusively operated on the Lassonde Research Centre-Bergeron route

IMG_8544.thumb.JPG.502257cdc42fb38a0132900aa57ff136.JPG

20220912_170453.thumb.jpg.03548df3a1955fec358dd87e5d92fcd7.jpg

1512956883_20220930_1629221.thumb.jpg.a11687213c5a1a5ba643671bff103b9a.jpg

The University is also planning to buy electric buses for the future Keele-Markham route (set to begin in 2024 but no word on what models these will be)

School buses and designs based on them never seem to be reliable when used in daily "transit" service like this case. I guess they aren't made for it.

39 minutes ago, blue.bird.fan said:

School buses and designs based on them never seem to be reliable when used in daily "transit" service like this case.

Yes, the D40LF was quite reliable in the last year of the GO shuttle operation, however the University didn't do much maintenance on it- most of it being done at TOK Transit- and they were not intent on keeping it, unfortunately, based on the decisions made at Transportation Services (which I have no input in), they should see why other schools have moved away from school bus based designs for heavy-duty services- don't know why they didn't buy or lease more used transit buses or the consideration of not choosing the best vehicles for the job

1 hour ago, Joshuamumble said:

Yes, the D40LF was quite reliable in the last year of the GO shuttle operation, however the University didn't do much maintenance on it- most of it being done at TOK Transit- and they were not intent on keeping it, unfortunately, based on the decisions made at Transportation Services (which I have no input in), they should see why other schools have moved away from school bus based designs for heavy-duty services- don't know why they didn't buy or lease more used transit buses or the consideration of not choosing the best vehicles for the job

I would go with a used motorcoach (from GO, perhaps?), but that might be asking too much.

However, I believe UTM uses Thomas Saf-T-Liner C2s wet leased from First Student for the shuttle to UTSG. Not sure how reliable those have been, but they seem to swap them out often.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2022 at 11:12 PM, blue.bird.fan said:

I would go with a used motorcoach (from GO, perhaps?), but that might be asking too much.

However, I believe UTM uses Thomas Saf-T-Liner C2s wet leased from First Student for the shuttle to UTSG. Not sure how reliable those have been, but they seem to swap them out often.

First Student specifically ordered those Thomas C2s for the UTM-UTSG route but I have seen standard IC CE school buses used in place of them (the white C2s seem to have replaced IC CEs that were built in 2010-2011); however I would be keen on them having D4500CTs or at least a transit bus (same with the future replacement of York's C2s, those should be transit buses as well)

Also an update, the Starcraft cutaway has been used on Van Go since they have another issue with the Chevrolet/Glaval Titan II LF and the Caravan is mainly used as a works or supervisor vehicle, since it can only carry one passenger at a time

• 7 months later...

The transit-specification C2s that mainly operated the intercampus route have retired and were listed for sale on GovDeals last week, not sure what their replacements are (likely Attridge buses) although a cutaway is used on the intercampus route during the summer, reading week and exam periods
https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=275&acctid=8599
https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=276&acctid=8599

2012 Freightliner B2 Bus Chassis

2012 Freightliner B2 Bus Chassis

(not my photos)

In addition, the other Crestline cutaway (873 5BF) has retired as of early 2023 according to a driver, never saw it in service during the 2022-2023 academic year; they also have Attridge 5088 in service as of early 2023