Red Deer

M. Parsons

They built a parkade overtop of the bus terminal IIRC.

Yea, and the transit terminal has stayed pretty well unchanged, all the shelters and buildings that were already there before the parkade are still there in original form. They actually had a temporary terminal for quite a while when they were adding the parkade over the bus terminal, it was more or less street side, but buses only.

Oh and, thank you to Steve for the charter, was a very enjoyable afternoon!

• 1 month later...
Interesting - I noticed a Kijiji ad for one of them today and it was a Calgary ad. In the photo on the ad a second MCI was visible too so it looks like some of them migrated south....
I wonder if that was RDT 254? It seems that Executive Coach Services now owns 254. Got some photos of it parked over at Executive Inn & Suites of Barlow Trail and 27th Ave. N.E. back on July 10, 2011.

Now today, I found a former RDT Classic parked at Central Diesel on 46th Ave. near Blackfoot Trail in the S.E. earlier today, but I was unable to figure out which one it was but I suspect that it is 254 which Executive picked up not too long ago. First attached image shows 254 as it looks as of today. Second image was captured at Calgary Public Auctions in S.E. Calgary back on May 23, 2011. Last two attached images show 254 parked at the Executive Inn and Suites in Calgary.

011011_0347.jpg

230511_07577rdt254.jpg

100711_08502executive254jpg.jpg

100711_08503executive254jpg.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This ex-RDT 1990 MCI Classic has been parked at Central Diesel in the Highfield Industrial area off of 46th Ave. S.E. for about a month now. I suspect this one may be ex-RDT /251, but not sure. If anyone can ID this bus, this would be great. Thanks.

Can you post a larger pic?

Done. Did u receive it?

Yep, I'll compare it to my pics that I took before we shipped the buses away and see if I can match it.

Peter, I would say it is indeed 251. Paint scratches along the lower parts match as does the scraping from where the RDT logo was removed on the rear side. Note that pice of "string" hanging below the clearance light too - it's still present in your photo. Also 251 had a small ad frame on her right side instead of the full size king frame and you can just faintly see the outline of that too. Here are some pictures taken the day 251 was loaded up to go to Osman Auctions.

P2140016.jpgP2140020.jpgP2140015.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There's an ex-RDT Classic sitting outside the front gate of Buck's Auto Parts. Saw it tonight while heading down Deerfoot.

Yesterday afternoon, while driving route 72, at around 1715 I was waiting to turn from southbound Barlow Trail onto westbound Glenmore Trail. Spotted an ex RDT Classic being towed westbound down Glenmore sitting at the lights. Couldnt see a number on it and am wondering if this is the same bus.

Sounds like Lacombe and Blackfalds are kicking the tires on the idea of transit service into Red Deer.

Guy Lapointe, community and economic development officer for the city, told council at its March 26 regular meeting that a preliminary joint transit plan between Lacombe, the Town of Blackfalds and Red Deer Transit is in the works.

The rest of the article:

"City Eyes Regional Transportation" (Lacombe Globe, 26 March 2012)

Sounds like Lacombe and Blackfalds are kicking the tires on the idea of transit service into Red Deer.

The rest of the article:

"City Eyes Regional Transportation" (Lacombe Globe, 26 March 2012)

So the buse's being used are Red Deers...? Or will the towns themselves have their own, but with Red Deer Transit Operators?

And for buses, Arboc? 30ft? 40ft?

• 2 months later...

Lacombe and Blackfalds:

Municipalities propose regional transit system

By Cayley Dobie/Globe Staff and Devan C. Tasa/QMI Agency

(The Lacombe Globe, 03 July 2012)

They propose that Lacombe and Blackfalds cooperate to buy two buses for the service, with Red Deer Transit as the operator. Start-up cost is estimated at $1.05 Million, which sounds to me more like regular transit buses than cutaways...

• 3 months later...

There is a Red Deer Classic in a Calgary yard on Centre Street South, just north of Glenmore Trail. It is on the east side facing the road. Sorry couldn't get a number but I am wondering if this is the one that was at Navajo.

• 2 months later...

Apparently Blackfalds council has approved funding for "regional transit" for 2013.

Blackfalds town council approved its 2013 operating and capital budgets on Dec. 11

[....]

Highlights of the budget include the Field House Tax Stabilization implementation, and the proposal of regional public transit, which would see the Town of Blackfalds partner with the City of Lacombe to create a transport ation service within the area.

Blackfalds town council voted unanimously in favour of the budgets.

[Lacombe Globe 2012 December 12].