Red Deer

M. Parsons

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On Monday Aug 31, we begin service into Red Deer County. Route will run from Bower Mall to Gasoline Alley (the commercial strip immediately South of the city limits along Highway 2) and in peak periods also run to Springbrook (the old CFB Penhold) operating as Route 12 - Gasoline Alley & Route 12A Gasoline Alley / Springbrook. The County funded the purchase of a 2009 New Flyer D40LFR (Unit 824), and the service will be operated by Red Deer Transit. Picture attached of 824 sporting her new County decals. The official launch for the media was yesterday.... did anyone see any coverage outside Red Deer????

DSC01017.jpg

On Monday Aug 31, we begin service into Red Deer County. Route will run from Bower Mall to Gasoline Alley (the commercial strip immediately South of the city limits along Highway 2) and in peak periods also run to Springbrook (the old CFB Penhold) operating as Route 12 - Gasoline Alley & Route 12A Gasoline Alley / Springbrook. The County funded the purchase of a 2009 New Flyer D40LFR (Unit 824), and the service will be operated by Red Deer Transit. Picture attached of 824 sporting her new County decals. The official launch for the media was yesterday.... did anyone see any coverage outside Red Deer????

DSC01017.jpg

Sorry, can't say I heard anything in Edmonton.

Good to hear there is service to Gasoline alley now!

And thanks for that photo. I really need to get to Red Deer sometime.

Very cool! Will be nice to see buses out at Gasoline Alley as usually that's the only place I stop on the way down to Calgary.

Is it only the one bus assigned for that route?

Other Low Floors will be used if this one is out of service for maintenance etc, but 824 is the primary bus.

Hmmm, starting in 2005 model IIRC. Do any of the drivers uses it during hot summer?

Yes, it's very popular. Then if the LF buses had decent ventilation to begin with maybe it wouldn't be necessary. I remember when I drove I always preferred the GM and Classic buses because of those vents over the top of the windshields. They were a great way to keep cooled down.

Yes, it's very popular. Then if the LF buses had decent ventilation to begin with maybe it wouldn't be necessary. I remember when I drove I always preferred the GM and Classic buses because of those vents over the top of the windshields. They were a great way to keep cooled down.

I found the GM Fishbowls were better than even the Classic when it came to ventilation on a hot day!

LF is a really must with a/c, those buses have hot interior! Even the Vent system does help a bit, but not alot!

• 1 month later...
Our last remaining Fishbowl (501 ex 7125) made the newspaper. A pair of Chrysler 300's managed to have an accident behind her, pushing the first one into the back of 501, stopped at a bus stop.

Link to story: http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradv...s_65164692.html

Picture from paper: A02_collision.jpg

I hope the people involved are okay. How bad is the damage to #501?

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe you guys are getting tired of RDT?...

A few oldies I came across:

7132 taken June 2002. This bus retired June 6 1990 and was sold October 1990. Not sure where this was taken; not my photo.

7132_June_13_2002__sold_Oc90.jpg

7146 at the site of a bus roadeo. Note the old semi-circle "RDTS" lettering above the wheel. This would have been taken between 1980 and 1984 based on the license plate color.

7146_early_1980s.jpg

7147 getting ready for a parade in the mid-80's. I think 1986. Showing off the 4th year winning the Provincial Bus Roadeo. Boy those were fun!

RDT_7147_parade_c_1986.jpg

And some not so old...

A couple of shots of the PM pullout, shortly before we moved to the new garage in 2009.

RDT_184___505_old_garage.jpg RDT_PM_pullout.jpg

The 2009 New Flyer D40LFR buses were delivered to the new garage before we moved in. Look how clean that floor is; didn't last long in that condition!

RDT_2009_New_Flyers_new_garage.jpg

A couple of fun pics - 731 taking a bath.

RDT_731_wash1.jpg RDT_731_wash2.jpg

Fishbowls leaving for a road trip... to Regina.

Off_to_Regina1.jpg Off_to_Regina2.jpg

And a sad one.... fish on a hook.... end of the road for this one :)

RDT_hooked_fish.jpg

Are all those "older" buses still running? It might be fun to go there.

Only one fishbowl (501), the two D40's (506 & 509) and Classics are still running. Three other fishbowls (7143, 500, 510) still on the property in storage. Rest of the fleet are New Flyer low floor.

• 3 weeks later...

A Red Deer update:

Effective December 16/09, 501 (T6H-5307NC1829, ex-7125) is out of service, moved to reserve status. 510 (T6H-5307NM1809, ex-7144) is back in service, from reserve status.

Fleet numbers for the next 6 D40LFR buses: 863, 864, 865, 866, 867, 868. These are for delivery in the third quarter of 2010. It is anticipated that the 1989 Classics (181-185) will retire when these New Flyers arrive.

It does seem we will have one Fishbowl running until 2011 - 510 :)

• 5 weeks later...