Well, I'm in Red Deer for a few days to run a store down here.

Naturally, I volunteered to get a free trip to see Red Deer Transit when they were looking for people.

So far... 509 (D40) is out on a route 4, and I got a pic of 7143, their only unrebuilt GM.

Well, I'm in Red Deer for a few days to run a store down here.

Naturally, I volunteered to get a free trip to see Red Deer Transit when they were looking for people.

So far... 509 (D40) is out on a route 4, and I got a pic of 7143, their only unrebuilt GM.

Posted on another board; 7 New D40LFR's are to arrive this coming Summer....

Went to Red Deer today for a few hours and found that they have had to retire the first of their refurbished Fishbowls due to an accident (#508). So we are down to 13 Fishbowls in Red Deer. 12 of are the refurbished units numbered 500 to 505, 507, 510-513, and 515. #7143 is the unrefurbished unit which is due to be retired this coming Summer along with one more of the refurbished Fishbowls when the 7 new D40LFR's arrive.

RDT's new NFI D40LFR's have been arriving since July 19th from what I have seen on another board. I believe they all may be in now. I believe they are to be numbered 726 to 732.

It's the only 2nd system that they've ordered a/c. I guess it's now needed to have a/c due to very hot and dry. Bye bye cold snap winter!

It's the only 2nd system that they've ordered a/c. I guess it's now needed to have a/c due to very hot and dry. Bye bye cold snap winter!

Second system in Alberta to get A/C ? No. Medicine Hat has D40LF's with A/C. Also, Edmonton Transit's DE40LFR's have A/C AFAIK. I believe the VII's have A/C as well. A few buses in other systems have A/C in Alberta as well.

Second system in Alberta to get A/C ? No. Medicine Hat has D40LF's with A/C. Also, Edmonton Transit's DE40LFR's have A/C AFAIK. I believe the VII's have A/C as well. A few buses in other systems have A/C in Alberta as well.

ETS have a/c on Hybrid buses.

I didn't know Medicine Hat have a/c, is it the newest batch?

Such as Strathcona. For sure on the highway coaches :( I believe on the LFS's as well... Mike?

ETS have a/c on Hybrid buses.

I didn't know Medicine Hat have a/c, is it the newest batch?

The Solos have A/C as well, when they work properly!

I seem to remember that all the D40LF's in the HAT have A/C except for #770, the older one built in 1995.

LFS, yes! And do not forget the two Classics from south of the 49th (882, 883 with sutrak air)

Assuming the A/C still works on them. While 902 has A/C (and so did 951), whether or not it worked is another thing.

Got to see the Red Deer Transit fleet this last Monday and also heard they are building a New Garage that will hold a fleet of 55 buses. Apparently it is to be open by the end of this year. The current Garage holds 45 buses, so it seems a bit short sighted to build a garage that will only hold 10 more buses IMHO. I saw the plans for the new garage and it doesn't look like there is much room for expansion either.

Also have been told that there are a further 6 New D40LFR's to be delivered sometime in the spring / summer. 5 are for replacements and one unit for expansion. So probably another 5 Fishbowls will be up for retirement. Haven't heard which ones as of yet.

Currentlly, the RDT fleet is as follows:

1977 T6H-5307N - #'s 501, 515

1978 T6H-5307N - # 500

1979 T6H-5307N - #'s 502, 503, 505, 507

1980 T6H-5307N - #'s 510, 511, 512, 513

1989 TC-40102N - #'s 181-185

1990 TC-40102N - #'s 251-254, 271, 272

1994 NFI D40LF - #'s 337, 338

1996 NFI D40LF - #'s 371, 372

1998 NFI D40LF - #'s 390, 391, 392, 416, 417

1999 NFI D40LF - #'s 418, 419, 420

1988 NFI D40 - #'s 506, 509 (Purchased used sometime in 2004)

2005 NFI D40LF - #'s 656, 657, 658, 659

2007 NFI D40LFR #'s 726-732

2008 NFI D40LFR - (6 units on order - do not know fleet numbers yet)

Just found out through a reliable source that the new RDT D40LFR's for this year will be numbered 780 to 785.

My guess it will be the same as their 2007.

And, I've found out that none of their buses have a/c.

<_<

My guess it will be the same as their 2007.

And, I've found out that none of their buses have a/c.

The order from 2007 does include a/c. I think the order for 2008 will be coming with a/c &

should start to arrive around mid July

<_<

The order from 2007 does include a/c. I think the order for 2008 will be coming with a/c &

should start to arrive around mid July

You sure? I've looked at the controls and the driver spoken to me, didn't see any "Cool" switch.

Since the tender documents clearly indicated "hvac = Thermo King -combination heat/air conditioning *rear mounted only" I see no reason to doubt the existance of same

Here's the tender details: http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=202

Thank you.

:P can anybody confirm if a doubledecker bus will visit red deer around June 20-23 for about 2-3 days?

I have heard this rumour from a driver but there is alot of speculation right now as another driver was asking

me if I knew what was going on but didn't know. My guess was that the commisionares will be no longer

when we get the real patrols who can actually hand out tickets for those who can't read pictures or don't care

about the no smoking bylaw effective jan 1/08 inside the terminal

Old thread... but a double decker bus did visit.

I was just posting here to inform anyone who didn't know that Red Deer is receiving 5 new D40LFRs right now. 780 arrived yesterdya.

Why the hell Red Deer need so many 40-feet buses for? I lived in Red Deer for four months and had never saw a bus with more than five people, ELF, Glaval, or Eldorado are more than sufficient for Red Deer's transit need.

Why the hell Red Deer need so many 40-feet buses for? I lived in Red Deer for four months and had never saw a bus with more than five people, ELF, Glaval, or Eldorado are more than sufficient for Red Deer's transit need.

How many years ago did U live in Red Deer??? I have seen many buses running in Red Deer with over 25 people. (Which isn't a huge amount, but that ain't no 5 people). During the rush hours, I have seen them with full seated loads with some standees. I have noticed them run light loads during the off peak hours in the midday, weekdays however.

How many years ago did U live in Red Deer??? I have seen many buses running in Red Deer with over 25 people. (Which isn't a huge amount, but that ain't no 5 people). During the rush hours, I have seen them with full seated loads with some standees. I have noticed them run light loads during the off peak hours in the midday, weekdays however.

:P

As of myself visited Red Deer this spring, there are many people who do take the bus and there's more than 20 at least!

They might be sufficient for some of the time, but, as others have pointed out, and from my own experience, Red Deer does get decent loads.

I guess they could have a fleet of smaller buses... but at the end of the day they will still need a certain number of 40' buses for peak hour service. Might as well use them for all service, otherwise, you have a seperate fleet of buses for use only at certain times. Not an efficient way to run a transit system.

Honestly, I also think Red Deer has great transit service. There is no such thing as hourly service, all routes run on 30 minute frequency seven days a week, routes interlining and city center transfer timing are also done perfectly. For me I had no choice but to drive since I worked in Nova Chemical plant which was 25km east of Red Deer, but for anyone who lives and works in the city, Red Deer Transit is really the best way to travel. That's why I feel sad seeing big buses running empty all the time.

From April to August, 2008.