General WTF Moments

19 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Maybe until Orthodox Christmas is over (Jan. 07, 2021) ???

Maybe!  We'll find out tomorrow morning.  The Christmas music was still playing today though and Burl Ives was imploring me to have a holly jolly Christmas while I was passing through to get my coffee this morning.  Mistletoe?  MistleNO!

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately, this hobby attracts its share of morons who have no respect for these machines and the people who run them or take care of them, or really other people who are interested in them, eithe

Posted Images

I have received at least 6 voice messages today that consist of nothing but pure silence, or, occasionally, the sound of a phone ringing. Some of these show up in my call log and I immediately block; when I came home from work I checked my messages and found THREE of them and not one showed up in my call log. Leave me alone!!!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

I have received at least 6 voice messages today that consist of nothing but pure silence, or, occasionally, the sound of a phone ringing. Some of these show up in my call log and I immediately block; when I came home from work I checked my messages and found THREE of them and not one showed up in my call log. Leave me alone!!!!

Is this on your cell or landline?  I have Telus on my landline and they have a free feature called Call Control that filters out all these types of calls. Works great. I've had it a few years now.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Is this on your cell or landline?  I have Telus on my landline and they have a free feature called Call Control that filters out all these types of calls. Works great. I've had it a few years now.

It was on my cell phone. However, I searched through the app store and found something like this that exists for cell phones, so I'll be grabbing that. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Thanks for the tip!

You are most welcome.  I hope it works for you. Call Control didn't work for me at first, but after phoning Telus, and the clerk trying to tell me I was doing something wrong (how hard is it to flip a 'toggle' ???) they looked into it and it was a glitch on their end. They had a 'guy from service' on it right away and it was working in a matter of minutes.

Basically, it is an interface that instructs the caller to 'press or dial' a specific number. This can only be done if the caller is 'real', robocalls do not pass this 'test' and the call ends without ringing at my end.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Easter Candy at Safeway already... haven't even had Valentine's Day yet.

69823207-872B-41F0-801A-104224973987.thumb.jpeg.7e199553c22a2e7963a1895d7d5b07d8.jpeg

At least one of our stores is stocked with Valentine’s crap.

I took that picture a few days ago and sent it to one of my friends along with a message saying wondering how much of it is going to sell with the variety of lockdowns and stay at home orders and no socializing with anybody outside of your own household that’s totally kiboshed the idea of dating.

And with no dating going on, how much of the market for Valentines stuff like this remains?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

69823207-872B-41F0-801A-104224973987.thumb.jpeg.7e199553c22a2e7963a1895d7d5b07d8.jpeg

At least one of our stores is stocked with Valentine’s crap.

I took that picture a few days ago and sent it to one of my friends along with a message saying wondering how much of it is going to sell with the variety of lockdowns and stay at home orders and no socializing with anybody outside of your own household that’s totally kiboshed the idea of dating.

And with no dating going on, how much of the market for Valentines stuff like this remains?

Most likely after Valentine's Day when it all gets discounted. Some people prefer getting some cheap chocolate and candy.

A huge thanks to CP24 for informing me that Garth Brooks sang most of his song at the inauguration with his eyes closed. Really gripping journalism.

Chrissakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Because it's 1999, I bought a CD copy of a fairly obscure racing game on Amazon this past weekend for $10 + shipping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_(video_game)

This morning, I got an email saying that the order has been cancelled, without a word of explanation. I went to the product page for the game and the same seller is now selling the game for $45 + shipping.

😐

• Sad 2

The time when I want to catch up on episodes of Weakest Link (only available on CTV which is the Canadian carrier and NBC owns the show). 

Which requires logging into an account that is attached to a television account. You would think it be that easy.

Nope. When I wanted to play the video, it says "you need to create a nickname." Understandable. Then press play.

Nope. It asks me to subscribe to additional CTV channels. 

After that, I was able to watch the first episode of Weakest Link. Which you would think it be a straightforward process. Instead they had to add some additional steps to deter the cord cutters by blocking the content with a television subscription. I understand with the content rights and wanting to recoup the costs of creating such content which can be expensive to produce. 

At least if I watch directly on the website, don't have to deal with the ads or recording it on my PVR. 

Though maybe I should have watched it on-demand. Later realizing it was there and not have to deal with the lengthy process. 

Vintage Kodak Velox F2 Film Roll, 2 Bundles, 250Ft Each

What the fuck is this shit?  It's ruined!  All 500 feet of it is ruined!  The moment this person opened those boxes of film to take a picture of the actual photographic material itself it for that eBay listing and exposed it to light, it was ruined!

Some people.

• Haha 3

The time when I thought Hydro One was bad with billing issues reported years ago. Just imagine having to deal with a major event and then having to pay an expensive bill for circumstances outside your control.

Difference with Hydro One was because of technical and computer issues with how data was not captured correctly leading to assumptions on usage to billing periods not being calculated properly. Where as the case with Texas, it mostly affects the wholesale rates where as if it was a fixed rate, they can't increase the hydro rate beyond what is contracted. 

When Ontario gave an option for a fixed rate around the clock versus time of use, I jumped on the fixed rate immediately. Because it can be difficult shifting to a lower peak period. 

I think the utility companies in Texas who offer wholesale plans will be needing to reevaluate how it is offered. Though I think the rate holders should also read their contracts carefully regarding signing such a contract especially the "variable" part. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/texans-faced-with-thousands-of-dollars-in-electric-bills-after-winter-storm-1.5317797?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3Actvnews%3Apost&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A New Content (Feed)&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1GpOrK5CsrbavBff4-9m8tUV-Nrdv1fhog9nYjAzTd09rFMPUex6S6J00

https://www.vox.com/2021/2/20/22292926/texas-high-electric-bills-winter-storm-griddy