General WTF Moments

Cogeno

14 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

"This radio station is acknowledged and proud to be situated in the lands of the.."

This is what I have heard on the radio station in Toronto, Canada. in recent times. What does that mean?

Probably making fun of American radio?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, pccstreetcar4549 said:

In the last few years every event I’ve been to acknowledges that these lands were once native  and what tribes I’m assuming that’s what they are doing 

It's definitely should be the norm for sure. When I attended an e-sports event in Toronto recently, the announcer advises the attendees and those who attended to compete that "this event is proud to be situated in the lands of Mississaugas of the Credit, Aninshaasbe, Haudenosaunee and Wyandot" (or something like that).

2 hours ago, ASzy said:

My computer just restarted unexpectedly and shut down everything I was doing.

I always avoid shutting down my computer, I just leave all my internet tabs open & close the lid, putting it in sleep mode (sometimes it randomly wakes up for no reason). Unfortunately there seems to be a limit to how long you can keep doing that, as once every few weeks or so I open it up to discover it had shut down & I now have to restart & reopen everything. The same thing happens with Chrome on mobile.

6 hours ago, ASzy said:

My computer just restarted unexpectedly and shut down everything I was doing.

No external stimuli caused this act, nor was in caused by an internal process.

It probably was an internal process, more specifically an internal process that went bad.

Computers are fun, I'll give them that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two lovely customer stories from last night:

1) One customer had a fluorescent tube he was looking to purchase and one he had brought from home. Each had a blue stripe on it and he kept pointing to it, saying that he wanted to buy it, and he wanted me to mark it as being black and wanted to make sure he could return it. I had no idea what he meant and said so and he kept saying it was black and when I still had no idea he pointed at something underneath the plastic end cap that looked either like some kind of glazing or the electrical connection inside bleeding through. And he kept saying he wanted me to mark it as being black on his receipt so that he could return it.  I said I have no idea what it is that you want from me, so he stormed off without saying anything and went to go bug another cashier. I was afraid the cashier was going to call me over and there would be part 2, but fortunately this did not occur. The nerve of these people to get mad at you because they're awful at communication.

2) We had a customer that wanted to buy two extension chords that were scanning for $40 a piece but he said they were $10 a piece. He comes back with a picture of an unrelated barcode below the box and demanded that we sell it to him for that price. He met with another cashier first, who told him no; he started giving her attitude so she calls me over, I also tell him no - I told him we could offer him a slight discount (25%) for the inconvenience, but we couldn't do the full discount. He starts insisting that he knew my job better than I do and starts quoting the Ontario Scanning Code of Practice, I counter that said practice only applies if it's the same product marked differently on the shelf, not a random item being put back in a spot it doesn't belong. He kept arguing with me and insisting he knew how to do my job better than I do, so we summoned a manager... who proceeded to give the guy the discount to get him out of there. Instead of paying $80, he paid $20. Just absolutely lovely.

So does that mean I can leave a $400 tool on the candy shelf, and then demand that I be sold the tool for $2? What is the point of there being any rules if they're just going to be ignored if someone is a big enough baby about it? But then they turn around and tell us that due to profits being down, we're cutting your hours. Yeah, you wouldn't have to if you didn't kowtow to every parasite that walks in off the street!

• Like 4

At the moment I write this post, I have been hit by exactly 8 projectiles, three of them dangerous. I have further been the target of 170 projectiles.

The complete list of things that have been aimed at me includes:

One marker (Dangerous by weight)

two Pencils (Dangerous by point)

One eraser (From a mechanical pencil)

A few tins worth in Altoids

And a wet paper towel.

The same marker went flying my way exactly three separate times.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, T3G said:

2) We had a customer that wanted to buy two extension chords that were scanning for $40 a piece but he said they were $10 a piece. He comes back with a picture of an unrelated barcode below the box and demanded that we sell it to him for that price. He met with another cashier first, who told him no; he started giving her attitude so she calls me over, I also tell him no - I told him we could offer him a slight discount (25%) for the inconvenience, but we couldn't do the full discount. He starts insisting that he knew my job better than I do and starts quoting the Ontario Scanning Code of Practice, I counter that said practice only applies if it's the same product marked differently on the shelf, not a random item being put back in a spot it doesn't belong. He kept arguing with me and insisting he knew how to do my job better than I do, so we summoned a manager... who proceeded to give the guy the discount to get him out of there. Instead of paying $80, he paid $20. Just absolutely lovely.

So does that mean I can leave a $400 tool on the candy shelf, and then demand that I be sold the tool for $2? What is the point of there being any rules if they're just going to be ignored if someone is a big enough baby about it? But then they turn around and tell us that due to profits being down, we're cutting your hours. Yeah, you wouldn't have to if you didn't kowtow to every parasite that walks in off the street!

Reading this made me remember the most ridiculous invocation of the scanning code of practice I had to deal with.  A woman had a bottle of laundry detergent, and demanded to get it for free, citing the code, because it was scanning for less than the price on the shelf tag.  I explained that the SCOP would only apply if the item was scanning at a higher price than the shelf tag, but she insisted that any discrepancy meant it applied.  

• Like 3

On my break at work. I hear multiple times over the PA system for the receiver back to my department. Just to shut them up, I went back halfway through my break. The Manager on duty for the night is in the back checking it out. She doesn't know who made the calls. There is no truck buzzing for Recieving and I checked on the schedule that there's no trucks scheduled for a hour. Plus as part of protcols, we leave notes at the buzzer for drivers that if the reciever is on break. Since the PA system is only accessible to employees I wonder who made this stupid joke to get me off the couch and back to my department halfway through my break for nothing. I only got one enemy who's off duty. Oh well, I'm having my smoke (vape) break next to the Recieving department as I type this instead of my car. 

• Like 1

School let out early today for the MOST FUCKING DANGEROUS REASON!

Locked down during lunch because "The School Police Are Dealing With A Situation" and we are there for over an hour in the lunchroom with people starting to get restless.

They finally transfer us around Lunch 4, or 13:45, and we're shepherded down a hallway full of cops carrying Assault rifles and long guns. Riot shield leans up against the corner of the office on the School side, and I see SHERIFF and CITY POLICE. We get to the recreational hall and I look back, Grand Avenue is CRAMMED with FIRE TRUCKS.

They put us all on the football field, and cram us all into the stands, all 1,200 of us. Teachers and cops all around. Seen more SHERIFF and some STATE TROOPER.

We sit on the bleachers for almost an hour and a half, and we finally get dismissed. More SHERIFF, STATE TROOPER. Also see U.S. MARSHALL and was later informed by my mother that COUNTY PARK RANGER showed up, was told by other students that U.S. ARMY made an appearance, and the FBI even showed.

I saw the Army  guys rolling out on INTERSTATE-44 heading toward Capitol City, Missouri.

Apparently, someone threatened to shoot up the school. And we ALL suffered for it.

I hope the person who made the threat dies a thousand times over.

Final tally of agencies that showed

SCHOOL POLICE
FIRE DEPT.
CITY POLICE
SHERIFF
COUNTY PARK RANGER
STATE TROOPER
U.S. MARSHALL
U.S. ARMY
FBI

• Like 2

Does anyone ran in a situation - in which they mistake for someone familiar?

This happened to me back in 2011 when I was stopped by mall security - unwarranted. At first, they assume that I was familiar to them but sadly, they mistake me for someone else.

They ask me for ID which I had complied. From there, they relayed the details to mall security about if I'm in their "database". After a few embarrassing minutes, I was free to go.

Fearing potential "retaliation" from the same security guards I had encountered, I left the mall. They would have issued a "notice of tresspass" - all because I have the same (or similar) appearance as someone else.

I understand that they're doing their job, but creeping to someone who has the same appearance as me - that's shocking! I would have filed a complaint against the mall or their management company (that manages the mall) - even the human rights commission!

5 hours ago, ASzy said:

Worst part is that today, we found out the call was FAKE!!!

Originated from OUTSIDE of the state.

Would you rather have no precautions taken only to find out it wasn't fake? Not the end of the world you know.

Life is gonna smack you with a lot worse things. (I'm hoping life will spare you the worst of the lot).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 11:19 PM, Tom1122 said:

I heard from my mom that my aunt was trying to phone one of her friends. She first called and got the message the number was a long-distance number. She then called like a long-distant call and got a message that the number was local.

Was she using a traditional landline, internet phone line (not Skype) or a mobile phone?

Anyhoo, I remembered when ten digit dialing was new in Canada back in the 2000s, the media had educated people to dial ten digits. While some still dial seven digits back in the day,  others decided to do a headstart and dial 10 digits anyways (despite an educational campaign).