General WTF Moments

Cogeno

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Are those trolleys double-ended? If so, how are they going to compensate for the soon-to-be-missing rear controls? ?

They are single ended. Of course, that doesn't make it any less absurd.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Riding the bus to school this morning (Tuesday, Apr. 5, 2022) and I see an older purple Kenworth pull out of the Price Cutter. He has no trouble pulling out of the lot at all. So ANYWAY, we pull up at a stoplight. We're sitting there for about thirty seconds when that same purple Kenny comes up to our left. He's in the Left Turn lane that feeds into the very right lane of the road, AKA the Bus Lane, as I call it, because you can't stop a bus in the road. We're sitting there, and he starts sliding backwards. Mind, he's not sliding, he's rolling downhill (The intersection is on a steep incline on that side) and he slams the brakes, then pulls forward. This occurs multiple times more. Like, 5-6 times more. So he's pretty much gone traversed the same 5-6 feet seven times, so he was either trying to slide his tandems or his truck was a Manual and he didn't know how to keep a manual from rolling downhill in Neutral. He traverses the same 6 feet/2 meters seven times, all while the driver has his RIGHT turn signal on. He was making a LEFT turn.

Maybe normal for some on their commutes but this was a first for me. 

Was driving from the Beltline (an area outside of downtown Calgary full of bars) during the afternoon rush hour to head back to the Northeast. I approach the intersection I need to turn right to and see who I will call a sex worker (she had the characteristics of one) blocking my lane talking to the car in the left lane. The guy drove off. Since she was in my lane, and the road was narrow, I couldn't go around her. She then flags me down and bangs on my window. I locked my doors and just opened the window an inch asking her what she wants. She offered me her services. I declined then asked me for money. I tell her I don't carry coins or cash on me. Then finally, she asks me for cigarettes. I was vaping in my car at that moment and said no, I just have a vape. (I quit smoking cigarettes in the new year) She then gives me a dirty look and walks away. I know she was under the influence of drugs or alcohol when she spoke to me. I immediately floor it after that as the intersection was clear. I kept driving and asking myself what the f*ck did I just encounter?

My friend was in that intersection a minute before me and got spooked out when she was trying to get his attention. He floored it before she got close to his car. I know the area I was in is also known for prostitution and etc. This was the first time I've ever encountered it. It surprised me more as this happened in broad daylight. You'd ask what was I doing there if its known for that kind of activity? Well a friend of mine lives in one of the apartments in the area and I was just visiting.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

Maybe normal for some on their commutes but this was a first for me. 

Was driving from the Beltline (an area outside of downtown Calgary full of bars) during the afternoon rush hour to head back to the Northeast. I approach the intersection I need to turn right to and see who I will call a sex worker (she had the characteristics of one) blocking my lane talking to the car in the left lane. The guy drove off. Since she was in my lane, and the road was narrow, I couldn't go around her. She then flags me down and bangs on my window. I locked my doors and just opened the window an inch asking her what she wants. She offered me her services. I declined then asked me for money. I tell her I don't carry coins or cash on me. Then finally, she asks me for cigarettes. I was vaping in my car at that moment and said no, I just have a vape. (I quit smoking cigarettes in the new year) She then gives me a dirty look and walks away. I know she was under the influence of drugs or alcohol when she spoke to me. I immediately floor it after that as the intersection was clear. I kept driving and asking myself what the f*ck did I just encounter?

My friend was in that intersection a minute before me and got spooked out when she was trying to get his attention. He floored it before she got close to his car. I know the area I was in is also known for prostitution and etc. This was the first time I've ever encountered it. It surprised me more as this happened in broad daylight. You'd ask what was I doing there if its known for that kind of activity? Well a friend of mine lives in one of the apartments in the area and I was just visiting.

If I were there, I'd probably have called the cops.

Being heckled by ALL my classmates sucks absolute ass. All I did was make a comment on someone's choice of attire ("Imagine waking up and wondering whether you're going to get [City John] or [Country John]") As I'm censoring his name, calling him "John" for the purpose of anonymity, this bitch decides to start a heckling spree and threaten me with beating the shit out of me because of my vocal volume (Which I have no control over, and I've tried thousands of times) and saying that he doesn't give a shit if he goes to prison for life. Someone else joined in, and then everyone was making me feel like fucking SHIT, to where I now want to strap on some sheathing, jump on top of the school, and wait to have the shit burned out of me by lightning. And blame John for setting me on fire, just to get John's bitch-ass expelled. That, or push the sadistic bastard in front of a train.

• 3 weeks later...

Today someone returned a Christmas tree to the Home Depot I work at. IN APRIL. 

I put it in the clearance section for $25. One of my co-workers considered buying it but ended up not buying it. If he had, I would have been the only person in the world to have sold a Christmas tree today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ever since I started in my new position at work I just never fail to be amazed at the atrocities people do to their dollar bills.

One of my duties if I'm closing is closing up the registers for the day and feeding the money into the cash machine. The amount of bills that we have that are folded, tattered, torn and are rejected by the machine over and over again is astonishing. Like, I get if you fold your bill cleanly over to store it in your pocket or whatever, but y'all gotta stop with the pseudo origami.

The job is a massive improvement over the BS I was doing before in every conceivable way, but I always worry that I won't be able to clock out and go home on time because I spend so much time on each wad of bills being rejected over and over.

• Sad 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:42 PM, J. S. Bach said:

[...]

Probably a dead motor going for shopping or a repaired motor being returned to Amtrak.

Could be. I didn't see an exhaust jet, but could have been like some cars where the exhaust isn't visible at all.

On 4/27/2022 at 4:21 PM, T3G said:

Ever since I started in my new position at work I just never fail to be amazed at the atrocities people do to their dollar bills.

One of my duties if I'm closing is closing up the registers for the day and feeding the money into the cash machine. The amount of bills that we have that are folded, tattered, torn and are rejected by the machine over and over again is astonishing. Like, I get if you fold your bill cleanly over to store it in your pocket or whatever, but y'all gotta stop with the pseudo origami.

The job is a massive improvement over the BS I was doing before in every conceivable way, but I always worry that I won't be able to clock out and go home on time because I spend so much time on each wad of bills being rejected over and over.

The banknotes in the worst, by far the absolute worst, beat up destroyed condition that I've seen in circulation are American $1 bills.  They're horrible.  I'm so glad we don't have to deal with those here.  Coins definitely are the way to go for low value, high circulation, high wear and tear rough handled denominations like $1 and $2.

• Like 3

Well today certainly seems to be the day where I have to pick my jaw up off the floor and ask:  What the fuck?

1)  An invitation worked it's way over to me for this one this morning.  One of Doug Ford's candidates was using semipro football players at his campaign office's opening because yeah.  I asked the guy who sent me this one if he understood that the last two semipro seasons got scrapped by Doug Ford's lockdowns.  Maybe 2020 was inevitable but last year was a complete and total unnecessary waste.  But yeah, the guy apparently "supports football" so it's all good.  I asked if that meant supports playing it or supports cancelling it, and then explained that I won't compromise my independence by endorsing any politician and declined to attend.  Putting on a football uniform and doing charitable events?  Sure.  Absolutely.  I've never said no when asked.  Ripping chunks out of politicians?  Absolutely.  Endorsing politicians?  Absolutely not.

2)  Another player, originally from out of the country, now has a homeless relative here because relative fell in love online with some chick in Niagara Falls.  Never visited, nothing, but chick in Niagara Falls told him to quit his job and fly here to be with her.  And he did!  This guy actually did!  Chick in Niagara Falls ghosted him halfway to Canada while on his flight's stopover.  Not to be deterred, this guy continued on to Canada.  Chick in Niagara Falls talked with the guy's relative after he arrived and supposedly everything was good and temporary accommodations were arranged and then he was going to travel down there from Toronto today.  Then chick in Niagara Falls disappeared again, but resurfaced long enough at lunch time today to say that she'd give the address when she gets off work.  Chick in Niagara Falls has been MIA since then and this is turning into a couch surfing emergency from the sounds of it.  I'd like to know:  How did this guy's relative get into the country with the garbage you need to put into ArriveCAN?  Without an address for where you're going?  Without a return ticket?  And was there ever a Plan B in case Plan A with chick in Niagara Falls doesn't work out, for any one of a multitude of possible reasons that getting in to a relationship with someone you've never met in person might not work out for?  Like seriously, did this clown actually enter the country without a budget to spend a couple of nights in a hotel before heading home if it didn't work out?

#1 is kind of understandable because there's an election campaign, politicians are telling people what they want to hear to get votes and there's never enough critical thinking going on, but #2, wow, I want to hear the explanation for the whole top to bottom mess with that one.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2022 at 8:37 PM, Wayside Observer said:

[...]

2)  Another player, originally from out of the country, now has a homeless relative here because relative fell in love online with some chick in Niagara Falls.  Never visited, nothing, but chick in Niagara Falls told him to quit his job and fly here to be with her.  And he did!  This guy actually did!  Chick in Niagara Falls ghosted him halfway to Canada while on his flight's stopover.  Not to be deterred, this guy continued on to Canada.  Chick in Niagara Falls talked with the guy's relative after he arrived and supposedly everything was good and temporary accommodations were arranged and then he was going to travel down there from Toronto today.  Then chick in Niagara Falls disappeared again, but resurfaced long enough at lunch time today to say that she'd give the address when she gets off work.  Chick in Niagara Falls has been MIA since then and this is turning into a couch surfing emergency from the sounds of it.  I'd like to know:  How did this guy's relative get into the country with the garbage you need to put into ArriveCAN?  Without an address for where you're going?  Without a return ticket?  And was there ever a Plan B in case Plan A with chick in Niagara Falls doesn't work out, for any one of a multitude of possible reasons that getting in to a relationship with someone you've never met in person might not work out for?  Like seriously, did this clown actually enter the country without a budget to spend a couple of nights in a hotel before heading home if it didn't work out?

[...]

Dude. This person you're speaking of is CERTAINLY dumb as all lord almighty. It's people like this that prompted the invention of the "Disclaimer" crap.

In my own WTF moment: Three days in a row I've seen our "House Mouse" on the counter. Somehow the sneaky bastard mouse climbed up three feet of slick surface area, and chewed on a loaf of bread. Through the plastic. And this mouse gnaws a hole in my room's wall, chewing straight through WOOD FILLER! of all things. And for some reason, he's dragging out wrappings from candies like "Riesen" and "Hershey's" and "Kitkats" that I haven't had nor seen since Halloween. Where are these wrappers coming from? I have no clue, and if a dumbass is slamming wrappers through the walls, I'm going to punch someone like they did the wrappers.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:37 PM, Wayside Observer said:

but #2, wow, I want to hear the explanation for the whole top to bottom mess with that one.

4 hours ago, ASzy said:

Dude. This person you're speaking of is CERTAINLY dumb as all lord almighty.

I got the full explanation yesterday and it's a truly epic eyepopper.

The outline in my previous post is accurate as far as it went.  So, football player's uncle arrived here on Friday and the first call I got was asking if I could collect the guy at the airport and drop him in NIagara Falls.  I said no, because I was tied up.  Plus, have you seen the price of gas lately?  The second call was can he stay with me after the chick in Niagara Falls disappeared for good, assuming she even existed and wasn't a prank.  I said no because I was still tied up and my place isn't in shape to have anyone stay here on no notice.  Apparently football player's uncle ended up spending the night at football player's ex's place.

I get another call on Saturday evening asking if I can take both of them in overnight and then go to our football practice on Sunday morning because another night's stay at the football player's ex's place is not in the cards and apparently neither is staying with the friends the football player is staying at.  I cave in and say fine and then scramble to make the guest bedroom usable.  Uncle goes in there.  Football player crashes on the couch.  I make it clear to them I'm dropping them off at the place football player is staying at after practice on my way out to Brantford to visit friends.

Sunday morning.  We get up and football player and I get ready for football practice while uncle watches Instagram videos on his phone.  I suggest we stop at the local diner on the way to practice because I don't have food on hand for three people.  I make them pack all of uncle's stuff in the truck because I'm not coming home after the practice because I'm going to Brantford and then we head to the diner.  Football player says he's not going to eat anything.  I tell football player to eat something because we have a practice.  Uncle continues watching Instagram videos on his phone.  Football player says, "Bro I got no cash".  I say fine, I'll get it but eat something.  The three of us have breakfast.  Uncle has no cash either.  This explains why book a return ticket and stay in a hotel overnight before going home is off the table.  He can't even afford to feed himself one meal.

Pay for breakfast.  Drive to football practice.  Uncle continues watching Instagram videos on his phone.  Grab the team owners and tell them that football player needs to get his shit together because he doesn't have his own affairs in order, he's got this uncle now and he's expecting teammates to carry them.  They are ready to lose it on football player because I'm one of the handful of people that's willing and able to put players up and drive people to away games etc. when needed but this BS could end up getting that scrapped.  They and I read football player the riot act about this.  Football player stays on sidelines and starts searching Kijji for "Room in house".  Uncle wanders around the sidelines watching Instagram videos on his phone.  I put my equipment on and practice.

Practice ends and football player tells me he's found a room for his uncle in Mississauga and arranged for his family to send an emergency bailout money transfer, blah blah blah.  I say fine, we will collect the money transfer, drop uncle at the house with the room, drop football player at the place he's crashing in, all pretty much on the way on the first leg of the trip to Brantford so it's doable.  Brantford?  Did I say once or twice or five or ten times that I was going to Brantford after practice?  Football player thought I was going back home.  Now it makes sense why I made them pack everything into the truck.  The money transfer went bad and had to be recut because football player and/or football player's family back home screwed up the name on it and  put his middle instead of first name.  Then it took an absolute eternity to get it converted to cash.  Then it took a while at the house with the room.  Uncle's been watching Instagram videos the whole time instead of, you know, working on a plan to get himself out of the mess he got himself into.  That's been left to football player and I.  Football player keeps saying "I put the hotspot on for you" and it's on the tip of my tongue to tell him to turn it off because all uncle's done all day is watch videos on Instagram instead of doing anything productive to help himself.

Look at the clock.  Been texting back and forth with the friends in Brantford about this whole debacle and they're fine with rescheduling since apparently they and I have a mutual friend who just had something similar happen.  Call the friends in Brantford because it's 7:00 PM now and I'm an hour out and we cancel and push it back to next weekend.  With uncle dropped off and set up for a few days, football player and I set off and now that the two of us can talk alone, I start asking all kinds of questions about the whole situation.  Football player's really upset about the whole thing.  Football player finally realizes how seriously pissed off I am.  Football player tries to explain how his uncle got totally sucked in by this chick in Niagara Falls.  Football player says he now has to support his uncle now that he's here.  I am utterly mystified about why "scratch money together for an airplane ticket home and hope uncle can get his old job back" isn't a plan being considered.  So it appears uncle is here until further notice.  I have no idea how that's going to work out but that ceased to be my problem after I dropped him and his stuff off at the house he's got the room in.

Drop football player off.  Call a friend near me that I've been texting with as well and ask if he wants to go for dinner because I'm a) wiped out, b) hungry, c) you've got to hear the whole story.

We go for dinner and he's got the same set of questions that I had in my first post, that the football team people had, that the friends in Brantford had.  How did recently unemployed just quit his job to go shack up with this chick in Niagara Falls uncle get into the country with no return ticket, no money, no destination address?  How did he answer the "How long are you here for?", "What do you do for a living?", "What is the purpose for your visit?" and all the other usual questions you get asked at the border, any border.

I go home and I crash because I'm exhausted.  Football player and uncle are both very, very, very luck I'm such a nice guy because other people would've kicked them out of the truck at the side of the road after far less bullshit than what I put up with yesterday.

So the answer to the original WTF question is, yes, uncle is that utterly shit for brains stupid.

Today's WTF questions:

1)  Given how this guy got into the country so easily and the headaches the rest of us have had at the border coming home from travel, I and everyone I've talked to about this one is now asking:  Does CBSA let anyone into Canada without question except for actual Canadians?  Normally I would consider "convincing bullshit story" as a possible explanation for getting by border control, but based on what I saw of uncle, I don't think that's very likely so the question stands.

2)  I almost don't want to ask this but what's going to happen with football player's uncle?  That emergency money that got sent by the family back home only covered three nights for that room in that house with $5 left over for everything else.  Since going home doesn't appear to be part of anyone's planning for this, what next?  It certainly isn't going to be my place.  I've made that clear and so has the football team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

More like a 'Just my luck' moment.

So my bank debit card is set to expire at the end of this month.  They mailed me a new card about or just over a month ago and still didn't get it. I assume it is lost in the post.

So, as I was in the mall, I popped into my branch to get a new card, and when I get home today, the mailed one shows up in my mail box. Really??? I couldn't have shown up yesterday. ???

• Like 1

I just got home.

Football player called me on Wednesday saying he had a CFL camp on Friday (today) and a helmet and shoulder pads are required, but he only has a helmet.  Can he borrow my shoulder pads for it?  Football player does not have a full set of football equipment.  WTF happened to the gear he had during our last season before the pandemic?  I don't know.  He's not borrowing the pads I use, forget that, but I have a set somewhere that were part of a pads + helmet deal years ago so I ended up with extras so I said I'd dig that up and he can have them.  It beats trying to sell them on Kijiji etc.  I told him I'd drop them off yesterday evening after work.

That didn't work out.  Football player was way out in Scarborough checking uncle into a hotel!  They couldn't afford to feed themselves breakfast on Sunday so WTF is the money coming from for this?  More emergency transfers from back home?  Putting uncle in the hotel turned into an all afternoon and all evening affair.  I got a message at 11:15 PM saying he's heading back to his place and I said no, I'll have to do pads in the morning, I need sleep.

So this is it:

https://marauders.ca/sports/2022/4/21/cfl-free-agent-camp.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1xrWPKY0WW_Q1pxCjP7f8389XfbL83ghHd4Vnul0UTXActhlKf-mAdPnY

You pay your $50 or $80 for whichever tier of tryout/exhibition or whatever you want to call it, gear up, go through whatever they've got set up, get filmed, and hope someone there is impressed and notices you.

I hope he does a lot better there than he has at our practices.  26 year old football player's been sitting on the bench, sitting in the player's box, sitting on the turf winded with his cardio bottoming out and if that's what ends up happening during the whole combine, he's wasting his money.

I had to get back to work so I didn't stay long enough to ask what the deal with uncle in this hotel in Scarborough was.  I don't know how it's being paid for.  I don't know how long he's planning to stay there.  I don't know what he's planning on doing while he's there but if what I saw on the weekend was anything to go by, the free wi-fi's going to be passing a lot of video data from Instagram.  I don't know why get him on a plane back home so he can see if he can get his old job back and try to pick up his old life where he left off as best as he can isn't at the top of the list.  The chick in Niagara Falls, if she even ever existed, isn't coming back so I really hope he isn't hitting his extended family up for money to stay here hoping she does and the whole move in and live happily ever after storybook ending happens because it isn't.

It’s nice enough to be out in a T-shirt barbecuing and I’ll probably eat out here as well tonight.

1C623224-CB50-4DB8-A57F-02263A5D82F2.thumb.jpeg.78c061d43f4dcacb0556f5b3aa6c9cf8.jpeg

Sunday was cook stuff that was getting close to hitting the best before date.  Chicken medallions and a small ham plus a small bonfire after a friend arrived:

20AFBDC7-D4B2-4A74-8986-EC12AAD968EC.thumb.jpeg.ffd94c37a9c7cc19c2d166655e70f791.jpeg

31046301-72E6-4A5C-A18B-8E0B5DE9387F.thumb.jpeg.bb4f2631d022e62fefc4eb87f77c7344.jpeg

67BB41DF-C61F-4856-8B27-86C4D048E2E3.thumb.jpeg.a621fc110c4d8a9f90c13afb86faf11b.jpeg

The 2022 back yard season is finally, finally open even if it’s been a touch on the cool side.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2022 at 6:38 PM, Wayside Observer said:

It’s nice enough to be out in a T-shirt barbecuing and I’ll probably eat out here as well tonight.

Sunday was cook stuff that was getting close to hitting the best before date.  Chicken medallions and a small ham plus a small bonfire after a friend arrived:

The 2022 back yard season is finally, finally open even if it’s been a touch on the cool side.

Damn, that all looks good, nice job on that.

40 minutes ago, ASzy said:

Damn, that all looks good, nice job on that.

Thanks, it turned out well.

What really set the ham off was the three little pieces of cherry wood I put on the grill.  That gave it a very faint, sweet smokey flavour without being overpowering.  I've never done that before, I only really use smoke wood in the smoker and on the coals in there.

Between me mowing the lawn and then doing that plus the multigenerational Indian family that moved in two doors away, the miserable neighbour in between the two of us must've been grinding her teeth!  Shucks.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:02 AM, Wayside Observer said:

Thanks, it turned out well.

What really set the ham off was the three little pieces of cherry wood I put on the grill.  That gave it a very faint, sweet smokey flavour without being overpowering.  I've never done that before, I only really use smoke wood in the smoker and on the coals in there.

Between me mowing the lawn and then doing that plus the multigenerational Indian family that moved in two doors away, the miserable neighbour in between the two of us must've been grinding her teeth!  Shucks.

Serves that neighbor right, then! Never underestimate good food.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's WTF/FML moment: one of the neighboring houses across the street caught fire tonight. At first I smelled something burning outside, thinking it was probably someone doing a BBQ/campfire, then heard 911 sirens close by. Not the first time this happened (911 sirens passing close by), so I thought they'd just pass by and disappear in the distance, but they only got louder & closer (clearly coming our way). And then people could be heard screaming "OMG!", so I knew something was off about that. I ran outside (along with most of the other residents of the street) and we saw the house engulfed in smoke with flames coming out of the front windows (the windows also popped). Apparently it was caused by one of the residents falling asleep with a cigarette (both of them got out safely, although an ambulance was called to take them to the hospital).

Edit: apparently there were 3 people living in the house (an elderly couple & their son), and apparently it was the son who fell asleep with a cigarette.

20220530_205550.jpg

14 hours ago, 81-717 said:

Tonight's WTF/FML moment: one of the neighboring houses across the street caught fire tonight. At first I smelled something burning outside, thinking it was probably someone doing a BBQ/campfire, then heard 911 sirens close by. Not the first time this happened (911 sirens passing close by), so I thought they'd just pass by and disappear in the distance, but they only got louder & closer (clearly coming our way). And then people could be heard screaming "OMG!", so I knew something was off about that. I ran outside (along with most of the other residents of the street) and we saw the house engulfed in smoke with flames coming out of the front windows (the windows also popped). Apparently it was caused by one of the residents falling asleep with a cigarette (both of them got out safely, although an ambulance was called to take them to the hospital).

[Image removed]

Man down the street from my old house was smoking a roll of weed and had a lit candle that fell and caught their house on fire. Fire crews blocked the road for three hours, and the siding from the neighboring houses melted and warped.

Street behind us a few months earlier caught a house fire that popped the windows and was throwing smoke that was black enough to drown the sun. That fire had seven fire marshals out there and some ladder trucks too.

When I was a little kid, an investor bought a house diagonally opposite ours and was having it gutted to turn into a rental.  It was a hot summer day.  The fire investigation was something else: what happened was the renovation crew was using gasoline as a solvant to dissolve the remnants of rubber carpet backing off the hardwood floors.  They broke for lunch and shut all the windows because they had a tool theft several days before and eventually the vapours met the gas stove pilot light in the kitchen and the place went up in an inferno.  I was at a friend's house and the friend's mother suggested we go outside and see if we could find where this burning smell was coming from and we went out, saw the flames and went back in and told her the house three doors down was on fire and she dropped what she was doing and ran outside to see.

We ended up going across the street to my family's house and watched the fire department put it out from my bedroom window on the second floor where we had an elevated view of the whole thing.  The place burned to a crisp.  Neighbours were giving firefighters towels soaked with water to cool off.  Several months later, a different friend and I took a look around on a quiet Sunday morning and found a basement window that hadn't been boarded up and we snuck inside.  The whole house was charred.  We got up to the ground floor and the second floor but didn't try to get to the third floor.  The heat was so intense the bathroom fixtures melted.  The fire completely destroyed that house though.  Walking through it and seeing everything burned and melted It sat for months while all the investigations and claims took place and then it got torn down.  I can't really describe how destroyed that place was.  My friend and I were lucky we got through unscathed when we explored it.  I'm sure if I was my full adult weight, I would've gone through the floor.

On 5/31/2022 at 3:51 PM, Wayside Observer said:

When I was a little kid, an investor bought a house diagonally opposite ours and was having it gutted to turn into a rental.  It was a hot summer day.  The fire investigation was something else: what happened was the renovation crew was using gasoline as a solvant to dissolve the remnants of rubber carpet backing off the hardwood floors.  They broke for lunch and shut all the windows because they had a tool theft several days before and eventually the vapours met the gas stove pilot light in the kitchen and the place went up in an inferno.  I was at a friend's house and the friend's mother suggested we go outside and see if we could find where this burning smell was coming from and we went out, saw the flames and went back in and told her the house three doors down was on fire and she dropped what she was doing and ran outside to see.

We ended up going across the street to my family's house and watched the fire department put it out from my bedroom window on the second floor where we had an elevated view of the whole thing.  The place burned to a crisp.  Neighbours were giving firefighters towels soaked with water to cool off.  Several months later, a different friend and I took a look around on a quiet Sunday morning and found a basement window that hadn't been boarded up and we snuck inside.  The whole house was charred.  We got up to the ground floor and the second floor but didn't try to get to the third floor.  The heat was so intense the bathroom fixtures melted.  The fire completely destroyed that house though.  Walking through it and seeing everything burned and melted It sat for months while all the investigations and claims took place and then it got torn down.  I can't really describe how destroyed that place was.  My friend and I were lucky we got through unscathed when we explored it.  I'm sure if I was my full adult weight, I would've gone through the floor.

Those bathroom fixtures were made of...?

Older man in town that I know from an old bygone era. What's notable about this is that Mr. Man should be in jail right now for being a gay child molester. And within spitting distance of our house.

• 2 weeks later...

I placed an order for close to a thousand dollars worth of stuff from one of my suppliers last week.  Everything is claimed to be in stock on the website.  All the machine generated emails came through as expected, the credit card I specified got charged, the UPS shipment notifications came through as normal so everything looked good at first glance except for the UPS shipment notification which said 1.2 lb for the weight.  That's not right.  One of the items in the order alone weighs a couple of pounds alone so something's wrong with the shipment weight.

Got a delivery notification while I was at football practice last night so my bigger concern was being porch pirated before I could get home despite there being a strong incentive against that sitting out front.  Anyways, the package was still there when I got home and, sure enough, as soon as I pick it up, I know the shipment's incomplete.  Way too light.  Open the box and read the packing list and all three items were listed but only two were present.  Check the order online.  Everything's listed.  Check all the documents and find that the missing item's listed as a quantitiy of 1 in the "Qty B/O" column on the invoice and nowhere else anywhere is there any mention that it's frigging back ordered.  If you only looked at the packing slip and compared it against what was present in the box, you'd be excused for hitting the ceiling.

If it isn't in stock and on back order from the manufacturer, say so.  This rinkydink ship a partial order and then place a manufacturer order for the out of stock items business is nonsense and it's the second time they've done that.  I thought the first time was a one off until now but obviously there's a reason for the price difference between them and the other places I deal with on some things.  The ones that are cheaper are because they're not being carried in inventory despite what the website says about being in stock and they don't incur and pass on any stock keeping costs.