General WTF Moments

Cogeno

7 minutes ago, T3G said:

Indeed. I'm all for editing one's photos to ensure that the exposure is correct, that the photo isn't too dark, and altering the saturation, colour tones, and white balance to suit one's personal tastes, but when it comes to edits like this it's really too much. It doesn't accurately represent the circumstances that were in place when the photo was taken.

Far too many idiots out there who have no business riding a bike, never mind a heavy motor vehicle. If there were more rigorous entry requirements, we'd be able to solve traffic congestion all across the continent.

Indeed!

Food for thought: the other day, I witnessed one customer at the LCBO store (liquor store in the Canadian Province of Ontario) and that customer showed an Air Miles card to the cashier - not realizing that the LCBO's rewards sponsor is Aeroplan. 

While I loved when Air Miles is a well-known places to collect Air Miles reward miles at the LCBO back in it's heydays, it appears that Aeroplan is taking off (pun intended) to a new direction for the retailer. 

• 1 month later...

Couple of WTF moments.

1. In a neigborhood where it's normally quiet, Two guys come out to the out to the street outside where I live, two guys with dune buggies come out and start doing burnouts This is a problem because while they're doing these burnouts they are causing property damage to the street they're flinging snow everywhere they almost hit my dad's brand new car and my mom's car,Almost crushed my neighbor's mailbox and in general were being very loud. They came around twice, The first time that they weren't noisy at all beyond the loud engines.  second time they started running police lights and sirens which is illegal in the United States Unless you're a cop.  They obviously were not cops if they were doing burnouts in the middle of the road with snow that was not packed and could cause a crash between them in the next person to drive down that road.  Definitely going to call the police next time they do that and file a complaint.

2. We're moving the wood pile that we had that was neatly stacked in our front yard It because we got a complaint from the city about standing lumber and I'd be more than willing to bet that it's the same person who called the police on us previously for our dog when their dog is five times louder and literally 1/10 of the size of the dog in question on our side.  The way I see it if you can't mind your own business and worry about what's in your own yard,  You shouldn't be living in the city.

3. The school system has canceled the rest of school this week owing to the massive snowstorm currently moving down the Central United States. Somehow they only have two snow days and two AMI days that they can use. They canceled school for the rest of the week. Today is Friday. Last time we were in school was Tuesday. I don't know how the school can get away with that.

Ok so I know that phones track our locations, recommendations etc. But I think this is the first time where I believe someone is listening to my conversations and using it for social media recommendations. It annoys me but doesn't surprise me.

For instance, for 2022, I decided to really go back to excerising where I workout twice a day on my days off and once a day at home after work. I originally did this to impress someone but that quickly changed for my own well-being. I talk to my colleague at work about it regularly as he's into Crossfit and talks about the different things and methods you can do to get fit more quickly. I'm always opened to new ideas so I like the conversation. But this is where it gets weird. I never searched this stuff online as I tend to go for advice over research. Well, my phone is out charging during these conversations and most recently,  my social media recommendations is now covered in workout videos, photos of people who are "jacked" (fit) and so on over the stuff I'm used to like airliners, other interests and so on. Hell, I even got a text from someone asking if I needed a personal trainer (it was a email to text message). I don't know if that was coincidence or not. Well, in short, I boulder/rock climb in the morning and do weightlifting at home at night and feel the results from the effort I put in. I don't need a trainer. 

I know our phones are capable of anything but It annoys me how a conversation with someone changes/ controls what I see on my feed. I don't mind seeing the odd video of workouts but when it's half my feed, I know something is up. Sometimes I contemplate going off the grid, deleting my social media, turning off my phone for awhile and so on. I'm sort of sick of social media now and often enjoy the silence. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

I know our phones are capable of anything but It annoys me how a conversation with someone changes/ controls what I see on my feed. I don't mind seeing the odd video of workouts but when it's half my feed, I know something is up. Sometimes I contemplate going off the grid, deleting my social media, turning off my phone for awhile and so on. I'm sort of sick of social media now and often enjoy the silence. 

I was getting that on FB.  There is a way to delete stuff. Go into Settings > Ad Preferences > Advertisers. There may be a ton of stuff in there. Just keep deleting. From then on just be careful what you like. Go back in there regularly and delete whatever is there.  This works for me. Hope this helps.

• Like 3

The other day, me and my dad were going along the Ontario Highway 401 and I saw a sign that "emotionally" caught my attention: there's a picture of a tow truck and contains the words "Authorized Towing Only" (or something like that). 

This somehow triggered my flashbacks when that reminds me of something based during a road trip to Montreal last summer (2021).

It's not State 13's day. Yesterday when I rode the school bus into town I saw a triple traffic stop. Later, a pilot car crashes the light pole. Earlier today, Feb. 9, there is a stalled semi truck, apparently a luscious lavender-fuschia color. There's stalled trucks on that intersection all the time though.

Substitute bus driver on my school bus. Here's what happened.

He was late as hell. He then proceeded to nearly pass our stop, and literally slam the brakes into the next county when he does miss the stop. No lights, either. Then he proceeds to nearly hit an insurance driver backing out of the drive. Fantastic. Next he crosses the railroad tracks WITHOUT STOPPING, never mind the fact that in Missouri there is literally only three crossings that aren't a mandatory stop, (SPSD says all are mandated stop-and-checks) before nearly missing another student's stop. This happens twice more.Then the driver omits a turn signal while making a right onto Kearney (A very busy five-lane highway that is Missouri 744 east) Then omitting another turn signal as a left is made to a side road that nobody stops for. The driver is now slamming the brakes yet again for a stop. Driver diverts almost a mile off the route to turn around. Making a right turn onto a tiny street called "Fulbright" (No turn signal!!!) the driver stops at three stops, only one has a student. Then proceeds to stop where THERE IS NOT A STOP (County roads 137x140 in MO) Then turns onto our feeder road to school, and I think that this is the end of stupidity. No, we sit there through two light rotations, then start again. The driver then takes a lefty that nearly rolls the bus over, before trying to turn into a random guy's driveway. Another student says keep going. He tried to turn into the long line of cars, nearly crashing the truck that has a Hazard Material placard, nearly causing State 13 to get backed up. Nearly totals a Genie lift (The school is under construction) before making us all late as f-ck. Good thing my teacher was understanding and allowed me to come in without a tardy. Officially the first time in my life I can blame being late on the f-cking driver.

Second WTF moment of the day: Computer was dead when I booted it up, when I charged it on Friday, (I never use the computer on weekends) AFTER i shut it off.

Fun Day, right?

• Sad 1

On 2/14/2022 at 8:41 AM, ASzy said:

Substitute bus driver on my school bus. Here's what happened.

.... Portions of this post were removed for easy quote ....

Apparently the school district is pulling bus drivers out of retirement.

Explains why the driver was driving like a blind @$$hole.

• Haha 1

Random guy told me to "Shut the F--- up" when I wasn't even talking. When I asked him who he was talking to, he decided to repeat it.

How much of an @$$hat or how bad is your f--- day that you have to tell a silent person to STFU like an @$$hole just to make yourself feel better?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In recent times, the head of the transit company of Ostrava, in Czechia, said that multiple unit tram cars are unsafe because there's no employees in the second car. They are currently taking deliveries of new trams so I hoped that this was some kind of PR bullshit, framing the new cars as a "solution" to a made up problem, but no, they're actually breaking apart their newer MU units (built in the 2000s) and will probably be selling off the rear cars of the set because they will be surplus to requirements.

A very strong contender for most absurd comment ever made about any form of transport ever, maybe? Guess we should call it a day on passenger rail too, since there's not an employee on board every car, either.

• Confused 1

On 2/19/2022 at 10:27 PM, T3G said:

In recent times, the head of the transit company of Ostrava, in Czechia, said that multiple unit tram cars are unsafe because there's no employees in the second car. They are currently taking deliveries of new trams so I hoped that this was some kind of PR bullshit, framing the new cars as a "solution" to a made up problem, but no, they're actually breaking apart their newer MU units (built in the 2000s) and will probably be selling off the rear cars of the set because they will be surplus to requirements.

A very strong contender for most absurd comment ever made about any form of transport ever, maybe? Guess we should call it a day on passenger rail too, since there's not an employee on board every car, either.

That's dumb. /If the end car is there it has a purpose, goddammit, even if it is unstaffed!\

• 2 weeks later...

On the first of Fraud Prevention Month my dream come true to me...a phishing text that looks real... 

Excuse my singing but, lately - there have been some phishing texts claiming to be from Service Ontario regarding the refund for the license plate sticker renewals but in reality, that organization will never send a refund through texts and to a lesser extend, by telephone calls (boomers, you're not alone). 

Fraud is no joke nor laughing matter for sure. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

On the first of Fraud Prevention Month my dream come true to me...a phishing text that looks real... 

Excuse my singing but, lately - there have been some phishing texts claiming to be from Service Ontario regarding the refund for the license plate sticker renewals but in reality, that organization will never send a refund through texts and to a lesser extend, by telephone calls (boomers, you're not alone). 

Fraud is no joke nor laughing matter for sure. 

My dad got Ebay scammed after he tried to buy a toolbox...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, ASzy said:

Sorry to hear about what happened to your father's experience, but - fraud can affect everyone - from seniors, people with disabilities and (wait for it) those who are "tech-illiterate" (yes, you got that right - tech-illiterate).

Sometimes, "swatting" could play a role on being a victim of fraud.. 

17 hours ago, ASzy said:

I had the same thing happen and even worse, the feedback on their seller profile was very positive. Until when I didn't receive my order and then seeing many other people reporting the same thing. Filing claims that they were paid for and not sent initiating claims and the seller having 48 hours to respond. If they didn't respond, eBay would step in and provide the refund. Pursuing the seller for compensation related to the costs of recovery.

I was lucky to get refunded. Though I do feel bad for those that go through the process and not successful.

Sorry to hear that happened. 

10 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Sorry to hear about what happened to your father's experience, but - fraud can affect everyone - from seniors, people with disabilities and (wait for it) those who are "tech-illiterate" (yes, you got that right - tech-illiterate).

Sometimes, "swatting" could play a role on being a victim of fraud.. 

I know what you mean especially since phishing emails and suspicious links can still occur no matter how careful someone can be. I always avoid opening suspicious emails and deleting them immediately along with marking them as spam to hopefully prevent future emails from certain senders from getting through. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I had the same thing happen and even worse, the feedback on their seller profile was very positive. Until when I didn't receive my order and then seeing many other people reporting the same thing. Filing claims that they were paid for and not sent initiating claims and the seller having 48 hours to respond. If they didn't respond, eBay would step in and provide the refund. Pursuing the seller for compensation related to the costs of recovery.

I was lucky to get refunded. Though I do feel bad for those that go through the process and not successful.

Sorry to hear that happened. 

I know what you mean especially since phishing emails and suspicious links can still occur no matter how careful someone can be. I always avoid opening suspicious emails and deleting them immediately along with marking them as spam to hopefully prevent future emails from certain senders from getting through. 

Just yesterday, my mom got a suspicious text that looked like a friend from High School, but she didn't click it.

Similarly, I have taken a policy into effect for my Minecraft Skin maker, "Skindex," where I don't take links if they are external.

I started streaming music. Attempted to use Soundcloud to stream, but the audio quality was too low. But using YouTube to listen to my music, somehow the audio is suddenly perfect, even though the internet connection is the same. I haven't bloody moved an inch since swirching from Soundcloud to YouTube, save for readjusting my bodily position for comfort rather than looks.

Souncloud's @$$ but YouTube works perfectly?

Get a grip, TMobile. Get a grip Verizon. If you can't provide things correctly, you can get lost.

And remember kids: If you manage to come face-to-face with an internet CEO, you can tell that CEO of Internet to "Get F---ed"

Car stopped in the middle of the road trying to make a right turn from the center lane. Not just trying to right-turn, but trying to right-turn onto a road that doesn't exist. Driver prob. thinks the GPS is God. Fantastic, I can go offroading in a low-riding Corvette C6?

A WTF and possible LOL moment:

Last month, I booked a hotel in Quebec City and upon booking, let them know I'd be there after 10:00 pm. Earlier today I got an email message from them telling me they have someone there 24 hours.

This was about a month after I checked out of the hotel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Trying to load datapacks on Minecraft. At first, it doesn't work at all. Then I can load the pack, but it won't work with my version, 1.18.2. Okay, let's get the snapshot. Enter the snapshot, and it states that the datapack is made for an older version.

The fuck is going on, where I can't load a damn datapack in any version without it giving error code?

On 2/19/2022 at 11:27 PM, T3G said:

...snip... but no, they're actually breaking apart their newer MU units (built in the 2000s) and will probably be selling off the rear cars of the set because they will be surplus to requirements. ...snip...

On 2/21/2022 at 8:48 AM, ASzy said:

That's dumb. /If the end car is there it has a purpose, goddammit, even if it is unstaffed!\

Are those trolleys double-ended? If so, how are they going to compensate for the soon-to-be-missing rear controls? ?

On 2/17/2022 at 9:43 AM, ASzy said:

A WTF Moment I have: An AMTRAK locomotive on a UNION PACIFIC freight. A screenshot taken from a Virtual Railfan video from footage in Chehalis, Washinton State:

1949090242_Screenshot2022-02-1708_41_38.thumb.png.16a3b375c7b48a860ea986286b72ee7d.png

Sorry for low quality, I've been watching on 360 versus 1080p60

Probably a dead motor going for shopping or a repaired motor being returned to Amtrak.

• Thanks 1