General WTF Moments

Cogeno

I live on a street that barely exists on the map and that's also a dead end. (Cal-du-sac). There is only around 20 houses so it's really small. So I don't have to deal with street noise (except for kids playing on the street) and package thieves. Well in the 9 years I lived on this street, this was a first. I always hated people who show off their cars / motorcycles who like to burn rubber and just make a ton of noise to where you can hear it from the other side of the city! Well something like 4 or 5 cars decided to speed their way in, doing donuts and burning rubber. It was so loud that even with windows closed, and I'm on second floor, it was like I was sitting on my front porch witnessing it. Well, to my surprise, they didn't hit any of the cars on my street yet left some tire marks in the middle of the street. 

I was so glad that I'm off and decided to stay up later as this happened at 8PM and I'm usually in bed by 7PM to get up for work at 2AM. 

44 minutes ago, Greatcoinz said:

I always hated people who show off their cars / motorcycles who like to burn rubber and just make a ton of noise to where you can hear it from the other side of the city!

Welcome to my world. Practically every night across from my condo there are car and motorcycle gangs showing off, burning rubber, revving engines, playing their car stereo really loud with their doors open. There is a new shopping center across from where I live, and there's a HUGE parking lot. Starts anywhere from around 2045 and goes on till around 0130 or even later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Someone in Kingston returned a movie 9 years later. The total late fees is $2,757. Waived due to COVID-19 since the rental was before a certain date.

I am not sure how they could allow the outstanding balance to reach that high. When video rental places still existed, if you didn't bring the rental back within 30 days, a replacement cost would be put on the account. Back during the time when Blockbuster was promoting their "no late fees" campaign. 

I remember reading an article about how digital killed the video rental business. Back then Netflix being the major competitor digitally. 

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/kingston-customer-returns-rented-movie-nine-years-late-and-incurs-2-700-in-late-fees-1.5586332

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Getting told off by the admin of a Bratislava transit Facebook group that I post too much, having posted 4 photos over the span of 2 days.

I personally don't understand this at all. I know that there are a lot of old timers that feel differently as a result of having photos stolen over the years, but for me I enjoy the element of sharing photos and sparking discussion almost as much as actually having the interesting capture. Things are more interesting when you have someone to share them with. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Getting told off by the admin of a Bratislava transit Facebook group that I post too much, having posted 4 photos over the span of 2 days.

I personally don't understand this at all. I know that there are a lot of old timers that feel differently as a result of having photos stolen over the years, but for me I enjoy the element of sharing photos and sparking discussion almost as much as actually having the interesting capture. Things are more interesting when you have someone to share them with. 

The challenge is that sometimes you get good admins/moderators that have people skills and know how to engage with someone without a power trip. Letting the user know what they did wrong and how to prevent it in the future. Then you have ones that are pretty bad and pretty much judge, jury and executioner over a small mistake or misunderstanding bounding to their rules. 

Dealt with that in a Discord server and dealing with something similar. Pretty much re-read the rules and looked up the term "fact bomb" before continuing my stay in that specific server. Some rules are very well written with clear understanding and some are so poor, it feels like you have to search up certain terms to understand. 

In your specific case, I think the admin should have reached out more politely than saying "you post too much." Should have more detail on what the problem is and discussing it rather than putting down the user. Sorry about the experience. 

So on Kijiji I ordered this pedestrian signal that I wanted to get for my room as decor. So we go through the process of trying to ship the thing to Ottawa from London Ontario and the first time around they did an RTS because I was missing the apartment number for my place. Okay fair, let's fix the address. After Canada post scams me for another $130 for shipping. Now I have the full address in addition to my unit number... my tracking on my package it says in transit it's September 24th, sent September 18th and they're telling me it should be in Ottawa ready for pick up by the end of today... Great! The buyer sends me three photos just minutes ago that the package yet again has been RTS and is back at his place even though the package still says its in transit, claiming on the box that the address is in complete even though it has unit, Street number, street name and designation, City, province and postal code, but Canada Post is saying incomplete address or "doesn't exist".

Me and the sellers are going to have screaming matches with Canada Post because this is fucking bullshit. Apparently due to "COVID" they don't do package holding with an "incomplete address", which is BS because you put it through more hands send it back to London Ontario just to send back to Ottawa, instead of just leaving at the Riverside headquarters where I can prove I was the recipient and pick it up. But no, they're probably going to demand for a 3rd time $130 for what is Cleary their error... I told the guy if they try to steal more money from him to just keep it because this is the dumbest crap I've had to deal with. Certainly after this ordeal I will never deal with Canada post again and will only choose to ship privately.

Amazon can find me, UPS can find me, but not Canada Post apparently!

• Like 1

Saw a crash happen on my way to my after-school program, between a blue car and a black jeep. THE MORON IN THE BLUE CAR WAS ON THEIR PHONE! Come on. Stay. Off. Your. Phone. While. DRIVING! Had the bus I was riding and the other cars been moving faster, ANY faster at all, I would have had to pop out and knock some f****** for rear-ending a bus with kids. And I mean kids in GRADE school.

It's bloody September, and Hobby Lobbies all over the state of Missouri are already marketing Easter crap! Stop being stuck-up @$$holes, "Hobby Lobby," and start marketing this stuff when it's APRIL! When Easter is actually coming, not when NYE hasn't even passed and 2022 is as yet an idea. Marketing to the most annoying extreme.

At least St. Patrick's sh*t isn't in stores.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

Maybe someone accidentally put out Easter displays instead of Hallowe'en ??? That's ridiculous having Easter stuff out already.

No, no mistake. Easter was KISSING Hallowe'en displays. Absolutely no excuse. Couple that with the fact that the city I live in now has a CostCo, there's going to be All Year Round Christmas trees!

• Like 1

Yesterday I had a substitute teacher in my Gen. Biology class, and Monday my actual teacher for Gen. Bio. was "Feeling Under." I didn't put two and two together until after I was home at 6:30PM. Come to find out from my mom that the teacher in question had COVID-19. Painfully dumb, as we were just talking about COVID's lack of DNA, having only RNA and the like that makes Gen. Bio. what it is. 

I can't wait for the day people stop being dumb@$$e$ and the world returns to something resembling the old normal.

On 9/30/2021 at 7:18 AM, ASzy said:

Yesterday I had a substitute teacher in my Gen. Biology class, and Monday my actual teacher for Gen. Bio. was "Feeling Under." I didn't put two and two together until after I was home at 6:30PM. Come to find out from my mom that the teacher in question had COVID-19. Painfully dumb, as we were just talking about COVID's lack of DNA, having only RNA and the like that makes Gen. Bio. what it is. 

I can't wait for the day people stop being dumb@$$e$ and the world returns to something resembling the old normal.

Teacher's back, and it took him a week to realize he should drop out and get tested. Like I said, Dumb@$$e$.

Today, a customer was trying to purchase a tree that didn't have a barcode on it. The cashier told him that she was the only one there so she couldn't go and verify the location in the store where the tree was sold to find the barcode, so in a fit of rage the customer shoved his cart at her. She went to a manager, who said she'd deal with the problem... and it transpired that the manager gave the customer a discount!

It's high time we finally woke up and realized customer service is a load of bunk. All it does is embolden the sociopaths in our society to behave like spoiled children, since it evidently yields them results. These people should be banned from stores for life, not given discounts.

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Today, a customer was trying to purchase a tree that didn't have a barcode on it. The cashier told him that she was the only one there so she couldn't go and verify the location in the store where the tree was sold to find the barcode, so in a fit of rage the customer shoved his cart at her. She went to a manager, who said she'd deal with the problem... and it transpired that the manager gave the customer a discount!

It's high time we finally woke up and realized customer service is a load of bunk. All it does is embolden the sociopaths in our society to behave like spoiled children, since it evidently yields them results. These people should be banned from stores for life, not given discounts.

Beg pardon,Discount? For shoving a kart with a something heavy in it or on it ….? That could be considered assault… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

I do not approve. I would not shove a cart into someone. Furthermore, if that was me as the manager, I would not give a discount for that regardless of if you were the president, the emperor, or even GOD, I would treat every customer the same, even if it killed me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

"The customer is always right" has always been a fallacy.  Bad customers are bad for business and indulging bad customers is worse for business.  The manager clearly didn't stop to consider what giving this customer a discount would do towards encouraging more and worse bad behaviour every time they come back to the store.

Several jobs ago back in the dark ages, this company I worked for saw the very leading edge of the condo explosion in Toronto as a business opportunity and decided to move into that market.  Condos are low margin, demanding, very high maintenance, and incredibly abusive customers and I lost track of how many times I stood trying to make it look like I hadn't tuned out the person screaming at me while I wondering how the company thought it was worth it.  The abuse from the condo clients caused a massive spike in staff turnover and these accounts were low value to begin with.  This can't have been a profitable line of business.  One of my friends who's in HVAC tells me stories from the job and there's times I stop him and ask "Was this at a condo?  This was at a condo, wasn't it?" and ask why his company even services condos.

Bad customers aren't very profitable.  Witness the discount your manager gave out to this one.  You don't want bad customers.  You don't make money from bad customers.  You cut them loose and concentrate on the good customers, the one whose overhead costs to service are low, who spend money, who are repeat business.  Not this clown who must've been buying that tree to replace the one he fell out of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

"The customer is always right" has always been a fallacy.  Bad customers are bad for business and indulging bad customers is worse for business.  The manager clearly didn't stop to consider what giving this customer a discount would do towards encouraging more and worse bad behaviour every time they come back to the store.

Several jobs ago back in the dark ages, this company I worked for saw the very leading edge of the condo explosion in Toronto as a business opportunity and decided to move into that market.  Condos are low margin, demanding, very high maintenance, and incredibly abusive customers and I lost track of how many times I stood trying to make it look like I hadn't tuned out the person screaming at me while I wondering how the company thought it was worth it.  The abuse from the condo clients caused a massive spike in staff turnover and these accounts were low value to begin with.  This can't have been a profitable line of business.  One of my friends who's in HVAC tells me stories from the job and there's times I stop him and ask "Was this at a condo?  This was at a condo, wasn't it?" and ask why his company even services condos.

Bad customers aren't very profitable.  Witness the discount your manager gave out to this one.  You don't want bad customers.  You don't make money from bad customers.  You cut them loose and concentrate on the good customers, the one whose overhead costs to service are low, who spend money, who are repeat business.  Not this clown who must've been buying that tree to replace the one he fell out of.

Oh lord, there's the falling out of trees joke... Knew someone was gonna do it.

Reminds me of a time at a local hardware store called Menard's where the police were called because some Karen decided they had to have a discount on some, I don't know, something that was already on markdown. What the heck.

After watching this Video at 

I realized people in general-Especially the ones that inspired these signs, are stupid. Probably genetically, or maybe this could be an entire new thing. Either way, someone's the reason these signs were made, invented, and posted.

People can be dumb. Just watch the video and you'll see why I posted here.

This is probably going to be of limited/targeted interest to the people here who work on equipment:

Keysight's discontinuing the whole line of insulation testers as of May 30, 2022 so if anyone's thinking of buying one*, there's about eight and a half months left to consider going in at full price, waiting until/after the end date for end of the line discounts, or shelving the idea and going with something from Fluke or Megger or any of the B tier competitors.

I know it's a very small subset of people that would use something like this professionally and/or in a volunteer capacity at trolley museums but just in case anyone does and is thinking of buying one, I thought I'd throw it out there.  The thermal imagers which are useful for finding overheating parts are getting discontinued too but most people go with FLIR on those.

Here are a couple of pictures of my insulation tester I posted a couple of years ago.  It's an older Agilent branded unit but Keysight is still selling it up to that discontinuation date next year:

976384A4-858C-4DE8-A7E1-93038C32EBFF.thumb.jpeg.d6ed2d317a1f2f94df3bd874af797cd1.jpeg  BAB423D0-4B6D-4EDC-AA79-0717FB294AB8.thumb.jpeg.55cd8d9f5b2a04b6c822a1f991dd7c7e.jpeg

Was riding the school bus this morning, and about seven AM every day we pass this busy intersection. Well, we're passing today, and there's a driver missing his bumper, and major front damage, in the median. A police officer and fire crew E5 (The truck number is E5) is working on this vehicle. A few hundred meters/yards further, there's a newer 2014 Ford Taurus eating the curb where Kearney branches into a feeder road, and truck R4 and two cops are working there. How they ended where they were is beyond me, as both vehicles would have had to meet and roughly the same speed and the speed limit's 45 (Metric 72.42 K/H) through there. The crash looked like a crash between two cars doing 120mph (193.12 Kph Metric). Which brings me to say that doing 120 without crashing on Kearney is bloody impossible. You're bound to lose control and die. Since EMS was not present or actively en route, I'm assuming nobody got hurt beyond the SFD's ability to handle. What the whole incident says to me? Some lucky @$$holes barely missed getting popped by at least 71 angry parents.

Not the first time, either. Prior, a rainy day saw some breaks in the rain, but someone somehow found a way into oncoming traffic and crashed into the MEDIAN, facing North in Southbound lanes. Towing was out there, and MODOT was blocking the left-turn lanes onto the road the crash was on. DOT blocks left-turn lanes, but doesn't bother to block the lanes before the crash on the SB portions? Drivers are the worst road hazard.

22 hours ago, ASzy said:

Was riding the school bus this morning, and about seven AM every day we pass this busy intersection. Well, we're passing today, and there's a driver missing his bumper, and major front damage, in the median. A police officer and fire crew E5 (The truck number is E5) is working on this vehicle. A few hundred meters/yards further, there's a newer 2014 Ford Taurus eating the curb where Kearney branches into a feeder road, and truck R4 and two cops are working there. How they ended where they were is beyond me, as both vehicles would have had to meet and roughly the same speed and the speed limit's 45 (Metric 72.42 K/H) through there. The crash looked like a crash between two cars doing 120mph (193.12 Kph Metric). Which brings me to say that doing 120 without crashing on Kearney is bloody impossible. You're bound to lose control and die. Since EMS was not present or actively en route, I'm assuming nobody got hurt beyond the SFD's ability to handle. What the whole incident says to me? Some lucky @$$holes barely missed getting popped by at least 71 angry parents.

Not the first time, either. Prior, a rainy day saw some breaks in the rain, but someone somehow found a way into oncoming traffic and crashed into the MEDIAN, facing North in Southbound lanes. Towing was out there, and MODOT was blocking the left-turn lanes onto the road the crash was on. DOT blocks left-turn lanes, but doesn't bother to block the lanes before the crash on the SB portions? Drivers are the worst road hazard.

Seems some people can't drive. My mother is glad she missed yesterday's wreck, and she was pulling out as E5 and R4 were responding. The police were already in scene, the fire crews had been there for a grand total of a minute and a half. Which means that the police were just hanging around in the area. Why the f*ck were the cops hanging around my local Hobby Lobby when they had some murder or robbery to investigate? You got better things to do than wait! Could've been Speed-Trapping, but unlikely. Want to set up a speed trap on Kearney? You do it by GLENSTONE, which is way the heck on the other side of town, rather than Kansas Expressway, which is not the Speed Center.

Catch more speeders on days like St. Patty's and New Year's, when everyone's likely to be drinking. Definitely not on the approach to Hallowe'en when the highs are SUGAR instead of drugs, which are way too common in my residing city.

So apparently my residing city is getting more and more dangerous. When I moved here almost ten years ago, you could walk down the most dangerous street in town, and not get mugged. Last night, somebody KILLED someone else. Not the first time, won't be the last. Same thing a week or two ago. only difference was the dead body two weeks ago was a HIGH-SCHOOLER! SHOT OVER AIRPODS AND WEED!

At this rate, Capitol City, United States will be less dangerous within simply weeks! My residence jumped from less than ten aggravated crimes a year to almost TWO dead bodies a year.

Yesterday, coming back from the Niagara Peninsula heading down the Burlington side of the Burlington Skyway around 1:15 PM, I saw a kite flying right next to the big high voltage hydro line.

Either the Darwin Award candidate truly had no idea what the problem was here if the wind shifted or was trying to reproduce Ben Franklin's experiment on a clear day with the high voltage power line standing in for the thunderstorm.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:04 PM, Wayside Observer said:

Yesterday, coming back from the Niagara Peninsula heading down the Burlington side of the Burlington Skyway around 1:15 PM, I saw a kite flying right next to the big high voltage hydro line.

Either the Darwin Award candidate truly had no idea what the problem was here if the wind shifted or was trying to reproduce Ben Franklin's experiment on a clear day with the high voltage power line standing in for the thunderstorm.

Dangerous! Lucky if he didn't get shocked! In Missouri if they did that they'd be arrested and institutionalized.

Edited by ASzy
Typo on "They"