General WTF Moments

Cogeno

On February 2, 2020 at 7:50 PM, Greatcoinz said:

Well there's one thing that's different. At last my last job, schedules were emailed to you weekly 10 Days in advance. This place, you get your schedule six weeks in advance. All good, until you realize your schedule is on a app that uses Windows 2008 to Operate. So basically, if you are not accessing your schedule at work, you have to install software that makes it compatible with Windows 2017 or something. Funny, for a multi-billion dollar company, they are really behind. If it works, it works I guess. 

That's more common than not.  When you get to a company that's multibillion dollar in size, the back end infrastructure grows in size with the business and migrating huge systems like that especially when there are interdependencies with other things is a very expensive resource consuming project.  Most places avoid doing that unless absolutely necessary so stuff like Citrix Client and similar pieces of software which spin up a virtual machine of whatever version of Windows is needed on the backend server the client software hooks into is pretty typical for large enterprises.

"->(Vendor Name)<- says you have to get off that version" is one of the most hated phrases we hear at work because of everything it implies.

This is kinda alarming as much as a WTF moment:

Today at work, my coworker was explaining to a customer how a bracket to mount an electric fireplace is used and the customer was perplexed. However according to my coworker this customer works in construction building custom houses. :blink: :unsure:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WTF, indeed.

From BlogTO:

Van Loaded With Groceries For Families In Need Gets Towed by Toronto Parking Authority

If there was every anything that nailed to a T how Toronto went from being "The city that works" when I was young back in the Walk The Dinosaur days to the third rate, small minded, cheap, miserly, nasty moneygrubbing shithole that it is now, this would be it.

• Sad 6

A few weeks ago I had a job interview, and I didn't hear back from them for a while so I assumed I wouldn't get it.

I had a virtual interview with them today, so I figured I might as well go in, practice my interview skills.

The indications are that they want to give me the job, and I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry. After some months of difficulty, a job finally comes to me in the grips of a global pandemic. You can't make this shit up.

A WTF/LOL moment from work at Home Depot earlier today:

We are currently accepting online orders and a specific store has to be mentioned. Someone had placed an order and came to our store. He was angry that we didn't have his order. Come to find out, he had selected a store in OTTAWA (I'm at the Richmond Hill North location). I could understand placing it for a nearby store like the Richmond Hill south location which someone else did, but not Ottawa!

Today I was heading to work on the Spadina subway. As I usually take the first northbound train, I try to get to St. George early. Despite all efforts, despite getting there early, my train was a good 13 minutes late without reason. The first northbound train is always the most full train but because of the delay, it was standing room only and no one was following social distancing guidelines. 

IMG_8302.thumb.jpeg.b1d509a25b0f3db6067b4d9d5a3af3b2.jpeg

Thankfully I was able to snag the good seat and take a nap for the majority of the trek up to Vaughan. 

• 4 weeks later...

I won't lie, I find it impressive that a typical car can go that fast. But that's f*cking insane. Luckily no accident and no one got hurt! 

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/unbelievable-young-driver-caught-allegedly-speeding-308-km-h-on-ontario-highway-1.4932981?fbclid=IwAR09kWetn5z6E38R6b4ERSC0FvzYqEuBZ0g8pAPIM-BzgvJvSMn3kaK3bWE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greatcoinz said:

I won't lie, I find it impressive that a typical car can go that fast. But that's f*cking insane. Luckily no accident and no one got hurt! 

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/unbelievable-young-driver-caught-allegedly-speeding-308-km-h-on-ontario-highway-1.4932981?fbclid=IwAR09kWetn5z6E38R6b4ERSC0FvzYqEuBZ0g8pAPIM-BzgvJvSMn3kaK3bWE

Thank goodness.  I'm kind of curious what kind of tires were on the car because at that kind of speed, they had to be well above their speed rating and into their safety margin for sure and if one blew out or shredded at >300 km/hr the results would've been catastrophic.

• Like 2

What's the deal with the snow?? Back in 2016 I was incredulous that it snowed on May 7 and thought that it would be the #1 record for such a thing happening to me personally that I would tell everyone about in the future. Well, that record has been unseated today by the monstrosity outside. This entire year is backwards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well this happened to one of my relatives but this was surprising when he told me this story.

So one of my relatives has a cat that he took in a few years back as it followed him when he went to the market and etc. The cat got pregnant around four months ago and gave birth to one kitten around a month ago. The two are inseparable. So that's the end of that. Until the other day, when he went out for a few hours only to come home to the mother cat nursing two more kittens. No it didn't give birth again, it turns out that when the cat went out, it came back home with two kittens that are no more than around two-three weeks old. Where she found them or how she got them to follow her is unknown to me. Since my relative is a "soft" guy, he's taking care of them for now. I really hope that the mother cat doesn't come home with more... The one kitten who's now a month old, isn't happy. I was sent a video of it fighting the two new cats. So in a matter of a month, he went from having one cat to four. Two aren't his! Since this is somewhere in Asia, there is no humane society and etc. Cats, dogs and etc. freely roam the streets. 

The two cats in the box are the ones the mother cat are "fostering".

CAT.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

WTF/FML:

Just went outside to put the garbage bins out, had the porch light turned on and the garage open. As soon as I went back inside, the porch light seemingly burned out. Not only that, but the interior light by the front door didn't work either, and neither did the garage (it was left open, with the lights out). I thought it must be a blown fuse, so I went to the basement to check, tried resetting it, to no avail. I brought a couple bikes from the garage inside so they wouldn't get stolen, and tried the interior light again. This time it worked. So I tried closing the garage, and that worked too, making me regret bringing the bikes inside, only to find that the light and the garage (having closed halfway) stopped working again.

• Confused 2

• 3 weeks later...

I work the overnight kitchen at McDonalds. A woman pulls up to drive through and asked if she can get hot cakes and a big Mac with a small customization. The customization was that she wanted me to replace the big Mac bun WITH THE ACTUAL HOT CAKES. We politely told her no and that she can be digusting elsewhere. We assemble burgers with buns, not syrup drenched insanity!

This was a few days ago noting that COVID-19 reductions still in-effect for public transit in my area. Buses running hourly on most routes except for one running regular service. 

So this transit operator (he has been around for a very long time) does the route, but in the wrong direction for 2.5 hours. At the end of the shift, another operator takes over and doesn't notice anything. Not even the transit supervisor on-duty or transit control detected it for that long either which I am not sure why. Because if going off-route, you would think they would flag someone to notify that operator to ensure compliance.

I can understand if the operator goes the wrong direction on a route for a few minutes or until a certain point to turn around, but 2.5 hours is pretty much a new record. I get it helped some people minimizing the wait time, but at the price of the people waiting for that bus waiting another hour for the next departure unless they have an alternative. Noting the other buses on the same route did the correct routing for the entire service day.

I asked some friend and asked around on a couple of barbecue forums, and it isn’t just me, charcoal really is in seriously short supply across Ontario and parts of the US.

The theory is COVID-19, in that people are stuck at home during peat barbecue season, which has lead to people using far more of it than usual and supply hasn’t kept up with demand.

That long search on all the store websites I did last night showed only one place with stock and it was on my way to pick up a friend earlier today so I left early.  And I stocked up:

A6BB96C2-2624-4B7C-BF67-CC72485B937A.thumb.jpeg.dda5b5bd722c50d25e667004015b3ffb.jpeg

The fact that I had to stuff the back of my truck to get enough charcoal to last the rest of the summer and into early fall because of pandemic related market distortion is insane but you do what you have to do.

• Like 2

Well my family was robbed... But what they took blows my mind. 

My family still owns the house I grew up in until we moved into a larger house several years ago. We rented it out and for the last few years, its sitting empty but my father visits the house daily, maintaining the property.  Someone has been watching the house however, knowing its vacant. We have several flowers (perennials) that we planted nearly 10 years ago before we moved out to improve the appearance even after we left. Well, my father visited the property recently and someone took all the flowers, leaving several giant holes in its place. Come to think, out of all the things people would steal, Flowers? I wonder whats next, they'll come back for the copper plumbing?

One thing I learned from this pandemic is a stronger hatred for the human existence. The human behavior, like people commandeering all the toilet paper to self-entitlement. Whatever good deeds or nature is left out there is scarce.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1